Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Wondering how the Stones re-learn a song?
Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:07

The reemergence of Emotional Rescue got me thinking... Like the song or not, the process of relearning, arranging and performing a song, so long out of circulation is intriguing.

When I'm playing with a band, and we re-learn a song we haven't played in many years, it's often like learning it from scratch. We'll listen to the song on CD or whatever and play along till either we figure it out or it comes back to mind.

It would be interesting to me to see the process the Stones use. Emotional Rescue, to my knowledge was never played live, so it's possible they haven't played it since it was recorded and also possible that during the original recording sessions maybe only played the song, all together as a band a handful of times.

I wonder if there an archive somewhere they refer to that documents the key, chords, tablature etc? Or do they, like most bands, just listen to the song and "figure it out"?

Re: Wondering how the Stones re-learn a song?
Date: May 25, 2013 18:08

Watch the 4 Flicks docu.

They play along to the cd.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 25, 2013 18:12

and they possess a Chuck to take all the...oh nevermind

Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 25, 2013 19:06

Sometimes things get rehearsed for a couple of tours before seeing the light of day. Emotional Rescue was rehearsed for Licks, but never played.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 25, 2013 19:07

They watch youtube videos of guys sitting wearing shorts explaining how to play the song.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 25, 2013 20:18

They don't.

Mathijs

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 25, 2013 21:16

My guess is there's a hot shot guitar guy around that helps them remember what they played with a private informal sit down. Later they get together with giant amps and play loudly and badly, stumbling through the changes. Mick joins in and they shout and cuss over the volume, complain about their equipment and having to smoke outside. They come back inside and argue about the same section they argued about 40 years ago. Keith turns up, Mick plows through complete versions, Charlie says he's done and puts on a sweatshirt and scarf.... Ronnie and Keith proudly announce, "We got it", "If I don't know it by now, for fks sake" That's how I imagine a rehearsal.

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:01

This was gone over quite succinctly in a Rolling Stone interview and article just prior to their Steel Wheels reunion tour. Basically they use a 3 step method. First, they all just listen to the song. Then they all play along with the song. Then they play it by themselves without the CD. It can go quickly or it can go on longer depending on what they're having trouble with. At that time Mick said they did that for every single song they rehearsed.

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:07

DandelionPowderman
Watch the 4 Flicks docu.

No shit!? I have this DVD and never watched that part. Only the 3 shows. Too bad it hasn't been released in wide screen HD and likely won't be.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:10

Mathijs
They don't.

excellent. brevity and honesty are noble traits...

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:12

GumbootCloggeroo
They watch youtube videos of guys sitting wearing shorts explaining how to play the song.

grinning smiley That me me laugh mate...it's so true, every time I am looking for a song lesson on YouTube it seems as though it's always some guy sat in his flipping shorts. I'm begining to think that there is no need to go down to Clarkesville to sell my soul at the crossroads - all I need do is buy some of them awful shorts and they will imbibe the skills I need directly through my loins and into my hands!

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:14

crumbling_mice
GumbootCloggeroo

grinning smiley That me me laugh mate...it's so true, every time I am looking for a song lesson on YouTube it seems as though it's always some guy sat in his flipping shorts. I'm begining to think that there is no need to go down to Clarkesville to sell my soul at the crossroads - all I need do is buy some of them awful shorts and they will imbibe the skills I need directly through my loins and into my hands!

clarksDALE...please...

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:41

Sooo true. I have always maintained, the best guitar player in the world(not youtubers) is sitting in his mothers basement, searching for tone, and you'll never ever hear or see him. The rest of of were just cool enough or just good looking enough to score chicks and leave the basement. I always find the youtube guys can play, but it is NEVER the way Keith, Ronnie or MT would do it.

Posted by: ohcarol ()
Date: May 25, 2013 23:26

Funny thing is... there is not a guitar player here who hasn't learned something off the guy wearing the shorts!

Date: May 26, 2013 00:10

jazzbass
DandelionPowderman
Watch the 4 Flicks docu.

No shit!? I have this DVD and never watched that part. Only the 3 shows. Too bad it hasn't been released in wide screen HD and likely won't be.

They are rehearsing Slave that way on the docu.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 26, 2013 00:21

I guess it depends on how well they know the song or if they've rehearsed it in previous days. In Bondy for the public rehearsal they only listened to a recording for "Little Red Rooster" and briefly at that. For OMS, Mick, Ronnie and Keith huddled together to discuss Ronnie's part in the intro and for the others they just played them directly.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 26, 2013 02:21

jazzbass
I wonder if there an archive somewhere they refer to that documents the key, chords, tablature etc? Or do they, like most bands, just listen to the song and "figure it out"?

If you're a resourceful songwriter, then for either the rough draft or final version of the lyrics you'll write the chords above each written line.

But from the example of Jagger's lyrics and corrections to It Must Be Hell, it appears they don't do that, so they likely have to refer to the original recordings and figure it out that way, which is how they learned to play blues covers in the beginning.

By the way, the above original lyric sheet retails on Amazon.com for $3,900 USD.

Full details at: [www.amazon.com]

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1762
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home