Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5
Re: Mick Taylor has saved The Rolling Stones
Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:03

GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
duke richardson
yeah...'saved' - strong word, that..implies they were drowning or something...

but remember that MT isn't nearly as svelte as the other stones. important point to consider today.

yes..important..so that would be the point of the day?

svelte--could be the WOTD...

ahem. and i thought you had been studying all week...you're just going to fly by the seat of your pants again?

Look you goobers, svelte was the 'Swedish' word of the day like two days ago. The Greatest Rock N Roll Band In The World here lifted it from a post of mine.

Look Banya, get your own material.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:05

treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
duke richardson

but remember that MT isn't nearly as svelte as the other stones. important point to consider today.

ahem. and i thought you had been studying all week...you're just going to fly by the seat of your pants again?

Look you goobers, svelte was the 'Swedish' word of the day like two days ago. The Greatest Rock N Roll Band In The World here lifted it from a post of mine.

would you be my mentor? are you svelte enough...or even swedish?

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:10

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
duke richardson

i would like credit for recognizing it as somebody's wotd..

Date: May 24, 2013 17:11

duke richardson
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
duke richardson

i didn't know you svelte that strongly about it...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:20

GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
GRNRBITW
duke richardson
GRNRBITW
duke richardson

i didn't know you svelte that strongly about it...

the wotd has feelings too..

just svelte you should know

Posted by: Bungo ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:24

Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
treaclefingers
Bungo
"And The Lord shall smite all non-believers and nay-sayers" Leviticus 7:11

Just to be honest I was the poster formerly known as "Duane in Houston", but since I was having technical problems logging on here plus the fact that I haven't lived in Houston for about 6 years now ( I now live in Austin ) I'm going with the new moniker of "Bungo" for reasons that are to mundane to go in to. Peace, Out.

Do you ever hang out with StonesTod? Sometimes I really miss him around here.

Of course most of the time I could care less.

Can't say I've had the pleasure. But next time you see him give him a shout out to look me up. The bar's always open and I'm always buying.

You best back them words up Duane...

????? N-word please...

which bar, what time?

Are you calling me out? Are you close to Austin? Don't yank my chain or you might "get the blade".

I don't know....free beer and you've only been on IORR for 5 hours (remember you started over) ...sounds befuddling...Austin is a difficult 15 mile walk away...

15 miles eh. North, south, east or west of Austin?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 20:20 by Bungo.

Date: May 24, 2013 17:29

Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
treaclefingers
Bungo

Just to be honest I was the poster formerly known as "Duane in Houston", but since I was having technical problems logging on here plus the fact that I haven't lived in Houston for about 6 years now ( I now live in Austin ) I'm going with the new moniker of "Bungo" for reasons that are to mundane to go in to. Peace, Out.

Can't say I've had the pleasure. But next time you see him give him a shout out to look me up. The bar's always open and I'm always buying.

????? N-word please...

which bar, what time?

Are you calling me out? Are you close to Austin? Don't yank my chain or you might "get the blade".

I don't know....free beer and you've only been on IORR for 5 hours (remember you started over) ...sounds befuddling...Austin is a difficult 15 mile walk away...

15 miles eh. North, south, east or west of Austin? E-mail me at [email protected]

don't do it, munich! it's a trap!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:35

GRNRBITW
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
treaclefingers
Bungo

????? N-word please...

which bar, what time?

15 miles eh. North, south, east or west of Austin? E-mail me at [email protected]

I always think everything is a trap...which is why I'm still alive...but the beer is FREE in this case...don't you know thats the sweetest beer known to mankind!!

Date: May 24, 2013 17:37

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
treaclefingers
Bungo

????? N-word please...

which bar, what time?

I always think everything is a trap...which is why I'm still alive...but the beer is FREE in this case...don't you know thats the sweetest beer known to mankind!!

freebeer! c'mon skynyrd boys!

Date: May 24, 2013 17:39

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
Munichhilton
Bungo
treaclefingers
Bungo

????? N-word please...

which bar, what time?

freebeer! c'mon skynyrd boys!

Its as free as the beer now, and this beer will never chayayayayayayange

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2013 18:00

Is it "svelte" today? Somebody needs to send me these word of the day a day in advance. I just can't keep up.

Date: May 24, 2013 18:05

71Tele
Is it "svelte" today? Somebody needs to send me these word of the day a day in advance. I just can't keep up.

there are no words....there are just .... words.

Date: May 24, 2013 18:06

GRNRBITW
71Tele

Thanks. I'll ponder that, but I'm still befuddled.

Date: May 24, 2013 18:10

71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele

good grief...nobody had been befuddled in almost 48 hours. we're trying to run a tight ship here, if you don't mind....

Date: May 24, 2013 18:21

GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele

good grief...nobody had been befuddled in almost 48 hours. we're trying to run a tight ship here, if you don't mind....

Well, I told you I couldn't keep up. Can I have a sneak peak at tomorrow's word please?

Date: May 24, 2013 18:27

71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele
GRNRBITW
71Tele

Well, I told you I couldn't keep up. Can I have a sneak peak at tomorrow's word please?

word? oh, you mean....word....

well, we do have a nice three-day weekend break coming up.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 24, 2013 18:28

His Majesty
What is with all the jesus and god shite?

Funny, isn't it. Some of us hate all that because we don't believe, and some because we do. And some just think it's rather worrying that there really appear to be people who feel so OTT about Taylor. I think I'm out of this thread.

Date: May 24, 2013 19:09

His Majesty
What is with all the jesus and god shite?

I'll pray for you...don't want you to end up with the same fate of the character you chose...

Date: May 24, 2013 20:22

"OTT" !?! wtf does that mean?

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:40

Bungo

After pondering it a while myself, I think our dear Green Lady means "over the top."

Date: May 24, 2013 20:54

latebloomer
Bungo

After pondering it a while myself, I think our dear Green Lady means "over the top."

latebloomer is right, of course - sorry, maybe not such a common abbreviation outside the UK. My revenge for all those song title acronyms that take me a week to work out.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 24, 2013 21:20

Sorry this is so long but Doxa and some others raise the bar so high sometimes!

After a few days of thinking about what happened last Monday, here's a summary of what I think happened at some time during CYHMK...

After 24 years of insisting that the band "play by the numbers" and "give the tourists" something that they'll recognize from the radio, Mick JAGGER was reminded that, when the restrictions are removed, The Rolling Stones can produce musical magic on stage. CW, KR, RW, MT, BK, CL & DJ for a brief moment were able to step out of their assigned spots of the pre-scripted "Vegas show" and become a red hot, sh!t kicking BAND and just play. They allowed themselves to be inspired by what was happening around them and let it happen rather than trying to stay on script and perform their assigned parts as planned in advance.

How did we get there???

For years, we've seen one of the best live bands in history forced to "follow the script" and, although they've managed to be incredibly successful while using that business model, they've also had to sacrifice some of the spontaneity that had enabled them to achieve some of the greatest musical highs ever achieved on a musical stage. It also enabled them to avoid some huge train wrecks and present a consistent enough product to the masses to be as successful as they've been the past 24 years. It was a trade off like never seen before.

However, what we, the people who can hear the difference, got was a musical shell of what we had come to know and love. We got great shows while simultaneously receiving stale concerts. Just ask any of the musicians you know (here or elsewhere) the difference between getting up and "creating" live music vs. being a human jukebox. Look into the eyes of a caged animal vs a free animal and you'll see the same thing that your friends will attempt to describe to you. While I have the utmost respect for symphonic and choral musicians and their abilities and I love it when I'm able to work with them, it's an entirely different experience for musicians when they're able to create as opposed to being required to recreate. (Personally I can’t survive totally in the world of music regurgitation all the time. A dinner theater gig I had years ago paid my bills quite well but it almost sucked my soul out of my body and I was constantly looking for jam sessions to get my rocks off musically speaking.)

Forgetting the differences between all the different people and combinations of live Rolling Stones for a moment (let's not start yet another BJ/MT/RW, IS/NH/BP/CL, BW/DJ, etc. conversation here), let's just focus on the live band as a whole for a moment...

From what I've been able to tell (I came along a bit late in this process)...
Up until 1969 Stones concerts have been described as "scream-fests" where, much of the time anyway, no one really heard any nuances of the music and the most important part of the show was the getaway.

All of the sudden in 1969 the sound technology had caught up with the music, audiences had aged a bit and the band from 1969 - 1981 was able to create live music, in the moment, that they and their audience could react to with each other. There were highs and lows, good nights and bad but the music and the band as a whole was a living & breathing thing able to rise (or fall) to levels not previously seen before.

In 1989, the entertainment industry and many of its supporters had changed and a new business model was introduced to the Stones touring operation which drastically changed the operation of the on stage product. No longer could (would?) the Stones be able to risk the failures (low points) in order to attempt/reach for the successes & high points. We got to hear the songs we knew and loved but four of the best weavers in history (KR, RW, CW & BW) were told not to stray off the path which was laid out for them. As much as I felt sympathy for KR, RW & BW I really felt for CW. A lover of jazz was told to stay on task and, at points, slave to a click?!? No wonder they have to pay him so much to show up for a gig!

Back to LA-2...

I truly believe that what we saw for a brief moment at LA-2 was, for a brief moment, the Rolling Stones truly playing “in the moment”. The songbook & the charts were tossed the side and they PLAYED. Some people have mentioned that MJ wasn’t in control at that moment… Having been where I believe they were musically myself, I’ll tell you that no one was in control at that moment. The individuals involved blended together and simply “rode it out” and I’d be willing to bet they enjoyed the ride like they may not have in years. Musicians use terms like “it just clicked” to describe moments like these & yet can be just as mystified by it as anyone else. I will say that knowing that some or all of the audience is “with them” makes it even better.

Those looks we saw between MJ & KR? I don’t know that I’d agree that they were looks of, “Wow! Isn’t MT great? We’ve missed him so much” as has been theorized here recently. I kind of wonder if they were looks more along the lines of, “Wow! We’re in the music business again!” They’ve been so dedicated to being in “show business” for the past 24 years I’d imagine that they literally felt a weight being lifted off them for a moment. No doubt that their music was what enabled them to be in show business but, in my mind, prior to 1989 the music caused the show to happen. Since 1989 we’ve had music happening as part of the show.

What will be interesting to watch over the next couple of months will be to see if MJ (and the promoters who are financing this little adventure) will be willing to allow the musicians the freedom to create more unscripted moments of music. It’s a big chance as both the media and the online community are waiting for an opportunity to jump up and say “see I TOLD you they couldn’t do it anymore!” Although we got a glimpse of what could happen if the music and the moment were allowed to become first and foremost, the risk is pretty big when you’re the Rolling Stones and the whole world is watching. Taking risks is wonderful when it works and produces euphoria but it’s pretty devastating when it doesn’t work and produces a disaster. I hope Jagger & the promoters realize that the Stones are better without the restrictions and they allow the band to run wide open more and more often. Only time will tell.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 21:48 by mr_dja.

Date: May 24, 2013 21:27

Great post - it's lovely that once again it's possible to feel that in the Stones world "anything might happen" musically as well as in all the other ways.

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 24, 2013 21:51

Green Lady
Great post - it's lovely that once again it's possible to feel that in the Stones world "anything might happen" musically as well as in all the other ways.

Thanks GL... I must say that I'm really glad that my band is off on Saturday night and that the Stones will be in EDT while in Toronto so I can try to follow the thread that develops as the show goes on... Now to figure out how to convince the wife that following a show on a message board is an acceptable way to spend a Saturday night off!

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 24, 2013 23:56

OR... it could simply be that Taylor is just a REALLY, REALLY GOOD guitar player.

BTW, shout out to Munich and GRNRBITW, lets set up a boozy night in Austin.

Date: May 25, 2013 00:34

Bungo
OR... it could simply be that Taylor is just a REALLY, REALLY GOOD guitar player.

boozy nights just happen as a matter of course. set-ups are for losers. oh...wait...i see what you mean.

Date: May 25, 2013 00:36

GRNRBITW
Bungo

boozy nights just happen as a matter of course. set-ups are for losers. oh...wait...i see what you mean.

I'm too drive to drunk at the moment...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 25, 2013 00:37

BOOZY NIGHTS...Finally a book the Twitter audience can get behind.

Date: May 25, 2013 00:52

stonesrule

the late eddie rabbitt used to love a boozy night, right?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 25, 2013 01:01

GRNRBITW
stonesrule

the late eddie rabbitt used to love a boozy night, right?

Yes, and the drive his life away...........no rules

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 4 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1816
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home