Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6
Re: This can make a grown man cry
Date: May 24, 2013 08:39

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Mathijs
I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true.

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Just joking grinning smiley

Good try, but it's "go take my wife". Keith always sang "fvck" in his back up vocals smiling smiley

You obviously don't know my wife, but if you did you would understand why I corrected the lyrics a little bit. But well, here's a picture of her:

I get it, brother grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 08:41

71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty
There are more than 5 notes in the original solo. grinning smiley

Well, the main solo is 5, only the second four bars has an extra passing E.

Mathijs

Are you high?
Mathijs needs to smoke a fatty... Maybe he'll listen rather than count. With all the guitar garbage Keith and Ronnie have tossed at us how could this not be a highlight??? Granted they've done a more professional job the past six months still who can forget The Super Bowl mess??? If Mathijs doesn't like it he's entitled to his opinion but to look for little mistakes and say Mick Taylor's style stinks is just a little disrespectful to us fans who enjoyed this throughly, after all it's just a concert, we are fellow Stones fans, stop pissing on our happiest musical moment, maybe in our pathetic tone deaf lives.

What I love about Mathijs (and I do love him) is that keith and Ronnie basically posed and played bum notes with wild abandon for ten years (when they were playing their instruments at all). Mathijs never says a word about it. But with Taylor, each note, hesitation, glissando, bend, pull-off, hammer-on, and fart is counted and measured by some special standard that only seems to apply to him. It must take immense discipline to carry a grudge for this long and be so single-minded
about it

In fairness, he did. In the beginning of the 2000s he knocked the guitar players hard repeatedly smiling smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 24, 2013 09:45

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?
Mathijs needs to smoke a fatty... Maybe he'll listen rather than count. With all the guitar garbage Keith and Ronnie have tossed at us how could this not be a highlight??? Granted they've done a more professional job the past six months still who can forget The Super Bowl mess??? If Mathijs doesn't like it he's entitled to his opinion but to look for little mistakes and say Mick Taylor's style stinks is just a little disrespectful to us fans who enjoyed this throughly, after all it's just a concert, we are fellow Stones fans, stop pissing on our happiest musical moment, maybe in our pathetic tone deaf lives.

What I love about Mathijs (and I do love him) is that keith and Ronnie basically posed and played bum notes with wild abandon for ten years (when they were playing their instruments at all). Mathijs never says a word about it. But with Taylor, each note, hesitation, glissando, bend, pull-off, hammer-on, and fart is counted and measured by some special standard that only seems to apply to him. It must take immense discipline to carry a grudge for this long and be so single-minded
about it

In fairness, he did. In the beginning of the 2000s he knocked the guitar players hard repeatedly smiling smiley
Fairness has nothing to do with this, he's a buzz kill.

Date: May 24, 2013 10:06

DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

about it

Fairness, in terms of what Tele said: "He never said a word about it" (meaning the poor playing of Keith and Ronnie).

Maybe it's wise to balance the "Hallelujah"- vibe, so we won't be disappointed when things go back to normal? I dunno...

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 24, 2013 11:05

DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

about it

Yeah, I don't think Mathijs is making any pro-Richards or Wood propaganda here, or, if you like, anti-Taylor one either (even though he is good in that also, when we are talking about the past). For him, I think, it is all crap now, as it has been for ages. He is more consistent anti-Vegas guy as I am. Wheras I see now a chance for better (with Taylor), he does not.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 11:13 by Doxa.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 24, 2013 11:36

kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Mathijs
I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true.

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Good try, but it's "go take my wife". Keith always sang "fvck" in his back up vocals smiling smiley

You obviously don't know my wife, but if you did you would understand why I corrected the lyrics a little bit. But well, here's a picture of her:

Hello to Mrs Kleermaker.

Date: May 24, 2013 11:46

Silver Dagger
kleermaker
DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Hello to Mrs Kleermaker.

From me also. A sensuel-looking lady.

- Doxa

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: May 24, 2013 11:56

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs

Mathijs

Your usual Taylor double-standard. One can turn it around completely and say "despite not having played with these guys onstage in forty years they managed to make magic together." Was Taylor supposed to play the solo note-for-note from the record, even though Keith and Ronnie NEVER do on ANYTHING ELSE? Taylor did fine. He hit all the right emotional spots. The Stones are having the time of their lives. The audience is thrilled. In fact, almost everyone seems to be thrilled, except you, the same person who contended only days ago that Taylor "hardly played" on Exile On Main Street.

I don't hear any magic. He noodles around a theme he seems to barely remember And that's strange, as he has played it many times since.

I guess my expecations where higher. I expected Taylor to blow everybody off the stage with a mind boggling solo. The original solo is just 5 notes, and he must be able to build anthems around it ever since.

We are used to a Taylor playing minute-long mind boggling solo's night after night on just one or two chords in '72 and '72 -YCAGWYW and GS come to mind. We've been complaining about Wood butchering solo's on what we think is just easy stuff. And what happens now? Taylor does not have that 'wow' factor I expected of him. His solo on CYHMK is a far cry of what I thought, or expected, him to be capable off.

Same goes for Sway. That's just a bloody mess, including taylor's solo.

Mathijs

I agree. He's not bad, not bad at all and the songs he play on are much better with him but he's somehow not tuned in with the others yet. They should have rehearsed for some time with him last year, let him be part of the band. Another thing is he used to have Keith on rhythm but now theres noone really. Taylor still got the tone and everything but Im afraid Keith isnt really interested in playing with him.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2013 12:46

Being Scottish, grumpyness is a close friend of mine, but Mathijs appears to be even closer. grinning smiley

Let's be honest, the playing is ragged, but it's not just about the playing even though I think they are more inspired when Taylor or any of the musically up for it guests plays with them. With Taylor there is more than just the playing though.

This reminds me of when I went to see the 21st Century Schizoid Band. A band made up of various ex members of King Crimson from different era's. Now, it was amazing to finally get to see and hear some of these people play and play together, original King Crimson members Ian McDonald(my favouirite musician) and Michael Giles especially. Honeymoon period over, the truth is that the music was really lacking something, but there were glimpses of amazing things.

The Rolling Stones 2013...

The glimpses and nostalgia, the life stories coming full circle etc makes for an emotional experience even if they aren't quite as they used to be as musicians. It's an embrace of old friends that were an important part of your life, a celebration, a reunion of souls, it's valid as is and it's happening right now!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 12:53 by His Majesty.

Date: May 24, 2013 13:06

<he used to have Keith on rhythm but now theres noone really. Taylor still got the tone and everything but Im afraid Keith isnt really interested in playing with him.>

What do you mean, Carpet?

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:09

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: May 24, 2013 13:40

Mick Taylor looks huge next to Jagger. Like he could pick up Jagger and eat him as a snack. And at one time they were about the same size.

Date: May 24, 2013 13:47

His Majesty
Being Scottish, grumpyness is a close friend of mine, but Mathijs appears to be even closer. grinning smiley

Let's be honest, the playing is ragged, but it's not just about the playing even though I think they are more inspired when Taylor or any of the musically up for it guests plays with them. With Taylor there is more than just the playing though.

This reminds me of when I went to see the 21st Century Schizoid Band. A band made up of various ex members of King Crimson from different era's. Now, it was amazing to finally get to see and hear some of these people play and play together, original King Crimson members Ian McDonald(my favouirite musician) and Michael Giles especially. Honeymoon period over, the truth is that the music was really lacking something, but there were glimpses of amazing things.

The glimpses and nostalgia, the life stories coming full circle etc makes for an emotional experience even if they aren't quite as they used to be as musicians. It's an embrace of old friends that were an important part of your life, a celebration, a reunion of souls, it's valid as is and it's happening right now!

Well put. I think it is absurd to compare the Stones 2013 musically to the band in their peak, be it 1966, 1972 or 1978. They are what they are now. I agree the nostalgia point and all those good vibes surrounding the "reunion", which makes a great deal of the heartful and moving experience for all of us. But despite all of that, or with it, I think there is actually a brief musical renessaince happening there, the music and musicianship actually taking bigger role than before. But at least for me the comparing point is only the band we have now known for ages, not the band that existed some 30 to 50 years ago. For me that relatively small progress - in a big picture - is a big deal, and makes it all different. I never thought there will be the day The live Stones would move me like they do now.

- Doxa

Date: May 24, 2013 13:54

<I think it is absurd to compare the Stones 2013 musically to the band in their peak>

So why do we spend so much time doing that? winking smiley

The important thing for me is that the Stones are good anyhow - because of the songs. I really don't care if the songs are performed perfectly when I see them today.

Mostly, this is nostalgia, romantic- and sentimental moments, a huge experience and great, great fun - listening to the songs we love.

If they play great, it's a bonus - and they always do - there are always a few fantastic moments during a Stones show thumbs up

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 24, 2013 14:17

71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

What I love about Mathijs (and I do love him) is that keith and Ronnie basically posed and played bum notes with wild abandon for ten years (when they were playing their instruments at all). Mathijs never says a word about it. But with Taylor, each note, hesitation, glissando, bend, pull-off, hammer-on, and fart is counted and measured by some special standard that only seems to apply to him. It must take immense discipline to carry a grudge for this long and be so single-minded about it

Well, maybe some explaining. I don’t say too much about the current Stones as I feel I have said enough about them. I am not interested in the Stones after 1990 –I never liked any of the 1990’s tour, thought it became interesting for a short period with the NS and 2003 club tours. I’ve seen all but one Euro club gigs, enjoyed them thoroughly but was quite negative about the guitar players (Wood especially) and the band in general. After 2003 it went all downhill, and I am just not interested in them musically anymore. I don’t go to stadium gigs anymore since 2003, I’ve seen them at the 02 and liked it from a nostalgia point of view, but was bored to death from a musical point of view.

Now about Taylor: I don’t think he really shined on any Stones album, except for the few obvious tracks. But still, even there he was cut short as the production team didn’t like it all that much. I think Taylor’s playing on the 1972 tour and parts of the 1973 tour is a template for any lead guitarist. It still is, after 30 years of playing the guitar myself, a showcase of how to tell a story with a solo. How to build it up, how to end it, how to use and connect the various scales to convey a story and emotions.

Taylor has lost all that clearly –I have seen various shows in the 90’s and 2000’s, I’ve met the guy several times, and it always appeared to me that he simply wasn’t interested in the guitar anymore. He booked some shows in small clubs to earn some money, only to pick up the guitar for the first time in a year one hour before the show.

And I guess that’s my main gripe now with these shows. Yes, the Stones are a spent force musically, which isn’t unexpected considering their age. But I just simply expect better and more from Taylor. Sure it is not 1972 anymore, but I would have thought he would grab this opportunity with both hands to show what he can, to blow Wood off the stage. Finally earn the credit he is moaning about since the 1980’s. Show the world he is and was the best musician the Stones ever had. But his lead on Sway and CYHMK sound unrehearsed, uninspired, amateurish. I just think he could have done better.

Concerning myself: my active musical ‘career’ is over, I only play for fun these days. Technically I am on par with the old Taylor, but never had that inventive, creative lyrical mode of him. I can copy any ’72 solo note for note, but when I create one myself I tend to get lost halfway. Several of my friends do have professional musical careers, making records and doing tours. When I join them as a guitar tech guy I am amazed by all the hard work that goes into it, including practicing and preparing for a show. And it is just that, which I am missing with the Stones, and with Taylor: preparation, practice, getting ready to deliver your best.

Mathijs

Posted by: MisterO ()
Date: May 24, 2013 14:57

Until I saw this video clip the other day I was ambivalent on going to see a show. That moment recaptured something that I did not realize I missed so much. It was something only MT could have done and it was sensational. This tour went from "do I see the Stones for the 20 something time" to "I can't wait to hear Mick Taylor play that"

The thing is......was a one time thing?. Because the best part of it to me was that it was so raw. I'm sure MT could have played a better solo but it was the improvisation that made it so special. It was not something that was rehersed to death and perfected. The part where Keith takes his hands off his guitar and looks at his hands and listens to Taylor was something I doubt we will see again.

Date: May 24, 2013 14:59

His Majesty

Yes, well put indeed Phil. Of course the playing is ragged compared to what it was in 72 but all of us, even Mick and Keith themselves as we have seen in that amazing video, want this reunion, however fleeting, to succeed. And that goes against everything we have assumed over the years...the bad blood and ill treatment and non payment of royalties.

It is a very emotional experience for all concerned, forgive and forget and let's move on because we are all getting older and won't be around that much longer. We, as fans, are very lucky to be witnessing this.

Date: May 24, 2013 15:04

Silver Dagger
His Majesty

Yes, well put indeed Phil. Of course the playing is ragged compared to what it was in 72 but all of us, even Mick and Keith themselves as we have seen in that amazing video, want this reunion, however fleeting, to succeed. And that goes against everything we have assumed over the years...the bad blood and ill treatment and non payment of royalties.

It is a very emotional experience for all concerned, forgive and forget and let's move on because we are all getting older and won't be around that much longer. We, as fans, are very lucky to be witnessing this.

Right on, Mike!

The fact that they indeed are giving us magical musical moments as well is nothing but amazing at this stage thumbs up

Date: May 24, 2013 15:29

Hey Bard, are you going Hyde Park? I still haven't got my tickets yet but will get one on the day if necessary.

Date: May 24, 2013 15:36

Silver Dagger
Hey Bard, are you going Hyde Park? I still haven't got my tickets yet but will get one on the day if necessary.

I'm having trouble re-booking, as I had already booked a trip to London (ironically...) the day after the first show - and home before the second show with my daughter.

She's not particularly keen on catching the show (she's 11).

I will let you know if I can work this out, and if I go, it will be for the first show.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:34

MILKYWAY
Mick Taylor looks huge next to Jagger. Like he could pick up Jagger and eat him as a snack. And at one time they were about the same size.

It's good that after all these threads and posts about this subject someone has finally been able to distill it all down to the essential point.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2013 17:58

DandelionPowderman
DoomandGloom
DandelionPowderman
71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

about it

Fairness, in terms of what Tele said: "He never said a word about it" (meaning the poor playing of Keith and Ronnie).

Maybe it's wise to balance the "Hallelujah"- vibe, so we won't be disappointed when things go back to normal? I dunno...

OK, he hasn't said a word about it in a long time. That better? My point was that he has an agenda against Taylor, downplays his contributions (even the ones everyone else acknowledges) and applies a different standard to his performances, and I stand by that point. Unless of course you think playing on almost every track (multiple instruments on some) and having a writing credit qualifies as having "hardly played" on Exile. If you think that is a fair or accurate charecterisation, then great.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 24, 2013 18:20

Who cares? Mick Taylor played great and I can't wait to hear "Can't You hear Me Knocking?" @ Hyde Park!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 24, 2013 18:21

There are too many words in this thread.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:00

Well, maybe some explaining. Maybe not.. This is a fan club for goodness sake!

Posted by: stonesmog ()
Date: May 24, 2013 20:09

Thank you so much for recording this. It made a grown woman cry. Please let them play this at Hyde Park.
Still love Ronnie though and his style.
Not a fan of too much fancy guitar stuff but this song does need Mick Taylor I think.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 24, 2013 21:14

Mathijs
71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

What I love about Mathijs (and I do love him) is that keith and Ronnie basically posed and played bum notes with wild abandon for ten years (when they were playing their instruments at all). Mathijs never says a word about it. But with Taylor, each note, hesitation, glissando, bend, pull-off, hammer-on, and fart is counted and measured by some special standard that only seems to apply to him. It must take immense discipline to carry a grudge for this long and be so single-minded about it

Well, maybe some explaining. I don’t say too much about the current Stones as I feel I have said enough about them. I am not interested in the Stones after 1990 –I never liked any of the 1990’s tour, thought it became interesting for a short period with the NS and 2003 club tours. I’ve seen all but one Euro club gigs, enjoyed them thoroughly but was quite negative about the guitar players (Wood especially) and the band in general. After 2003 it went all downhill, and I am just not interested in them musically anymore. I don’t go to stadium gigs anymore since 2003, I’ve seen them at the 02 and liked it from a nostalgia point of view, but was bored to death from a musical point of view.

Now about Taylor: I don’t think he really shined on any Stones album, except for the few obvious tracks. But still, even there he was cut short as the production team didn’t like it all that much. I think Taylor’s playing on the 1972 tour and parts of the 1973 tour is a template for any lead guitarist. It still is, after 30 years of playing the guitar myself, a showcase of how to tell a story with a solo. How to build it up, how to end it, how to use and connect the various scales to convey a story and emotions.

Taylor has lost all that clearly –I have seen various shows in the 90’s and 2000’s, I’ve met the guy several times, and it always appeared to me that he simply wasn’t interested in the guitar anymore. He booked some shows in small clubs to earn some money, only to pick up the guitar for the first time in a year one hour before the show.

And I guess that’s my main gripe now with these shows. Yes, the Stones are a spent force musically, which isn’t unexpected considering their age. But I just simply expect better and more from Taylor. Sure it is not 1972 anymore, but I would have thought he would grab this opportunity with both hands to show what he can, to blow Wood off the stage. Finally earn the credit he is moaning about since the 1980’s. Show the world he is and was the best musician the Stones ever had. But his lead on Sway and CYHMK sound unrehearsed, uninspired, amateurish. I just think he could have done better.

Concerning myself: my active musical ‘career’ is over, I only play for fun these days. Technically I am on par with the old Taylor, but never had that inventive, creative lyrical mode of him. I can copy any ’72 solo note for note, but when I create one myself I tend to get lost halfway. Several of my friends do have professional musical careers, making records and doing tours. When I join them as a guitar tech guy I am amazed by all the hard work that goes into it, including practicing and preparing for a show. And it is just that, which I am missing with the Stones, and with Taylor: preparation, practice, getting ready to deliver your best.

Mathijs

Fair enough, Mathijs.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:35

This needs bumping!

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:45

Mathijs

But I just simply expect better and more from Taylor. Sure it is not 1972 anymore, but I would have thought he would grab this opportunity with both hands to show what he can, to blow Wood off the stage.Show the world he is and was the best musician the Stones ever had. But his lead on Sway and CYHMK sound unrehearsed, uninspired, amateurish. I just think he could have done better.

Mathijs

Painful but the truth - I expected and hoped the same from Taylor, but heard the "trouble" - MR in London 2012 - already. I liked Taylor's CYHMN better on the Fallon show. That includes the entire band there btw.. But the majority here still like Taylor's and the Stones' playing, so what's the drama? This tour is about nostalgia anyway.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 25, 2013 22:54

Nicky Hopkins was technically the best musician the stones ever had. winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-25 23:11 by His Majesty.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 5 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1796
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home