Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: This can make a grown man cry
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:38

DoomandGloom
His Majesty
DoomandGloom
He created The Blind Faith album from dozens of reels with very few complete versions.

Where did you get that from?

Anyway, the stones usual way in the studio was to play everything to death until the magic appears. It could be - take 1, but if sonit's with lots of earlier attempts under their belt.

Remind me, does Bobby and Rocky play on the song part? If not why would they have them ready to record for an un planned jam section? The ending is obviously something they were already familiar with.
The Blind Faith is a long story Miller was flown to England and manufactured the album from incomplete takes as the record company was hot for the first supergroup. He pulled vocals and guitar parts from outtake reels placed them on 1/4 tapes and flew them into the masters. The band had given up on the project and left it for heroin.... According to him a courier was standing over him through out the weekend. As far as Bobby Keys or Rocky, that's the question I would ask if I had another chance, my guess would be they played on the entire song and Miller erased it for the impact of the outro, The Stones love to erase stuff unless it's Keith....Jimmy wasn't big on tall tails, he had enough true ones.

Ok it seems Jimmy was prone to some bullshitting and/or mis remembering.

[gpatt.customer.netspace.net.au]

"After this tour Blind Faith returned to the studio on June 23, now under the production guidance of  Jimmy Miller, to revisit "Had to Cry Today"( 26 takes) and work up "Do What You Like" (7 takes).  June 24 saw the completion of "Do What You Like", which was carefully crafted over 6 takes and "Had to Cry Today"  completed after 17 takes .  The session ended after some work on "Sleeping in the Ground".

On the 25th they commenced work with a superb jam, retrospectively titled "Acoustic Jam".  Then "Sleeping in the Ground" was finished after 28 takes.  It was at a faster tempo then the provisional master from the 23rd.

Jimmy Miller began mixing the album.  Quite correctly "Sleeping in the Ground" was abandoned - the most insipid blues rendition Clapton has ever  performed.  But Miller saw greater potential in "Can't Find My Way Home" then had been achieved.  On the 28th they returned to the studio and adopted minimal miking for an acoustic version.  After 24 takes they selected no. 21 as the master.  Ginger Baker still considers this song the hi-light of his recording career - 'nough said."

It's really doubtful that CYHMK is really the take where they went on from song to instrumental for the first time.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 00:46 by His Majesty.

Date: May 24, 2013 00:39

dcba
JumpinJeppeFlash
It's good but i still think MT is oversoloing here.

He indeed does plus after the first few bars he improvises while (imo) he should have duplicated note for note what he played on the studio version.

This is a "signature"/legendary solo so there's really no way to play it differently.

You are being sarcastic, right?

Date: May 24, 2013 00:40

The opening of the solo is like a riff - hummable. Taylor came in on the wrong bar, and took a decision to make that theme shorter. Maybe that is Mathijs' s point? After that it was pure impro until the ending.

I liked it very much personally, but that is mainly because this is a song that really needs this kind of soloing, imo.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:45

71Tele
Mathijs
I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true.

Mathijs

Your usual Taylor double-standard. One can turn it around completely and say "despite not having played with these guys onstage in forty years they managed to make magic together." Was Taylor supposed to play the solo note-for-note from the record, even though Keith and Ronnie NEVER do on ANYTHING ELSE? Taylor did fine. He hit all the right emotional spots. The Stones are having the time of their lives. The audience is thrilled. In fact, almost everyone seems to be thrilled, except you, the same person who contended only days ago that Taylor "hardly played" on Exile On Main Street.

I don't hear any magic. He noodles around a theme he seems to barely remember And that's strange, as he has played it many times since.

I guess my expecations where higher. I expected Taylor to blow everybody off the stage with a mind boggling solo. The original solo is just 5 notes, and he must be able to build anthems around it ever since.

We are used to a Taylor playing minute-long mind boggling solo's night after night on just one or two chords in '72 and '72 -YCAGWYW and GS come to mind. We've been complaining about Wood butchering solo's on what we think is just easy stuff. And what happens now? Taylor does not have that 'wow' factor I expected of him. His solo on CYHMK is a far cry of what I thought, or expected, him to be capable off.

Same goes for Sway. That's just a bloody mess, including taylor's solo.

Mathijs

Date: May 24, 2013 00:48

There are more than 5 notes in the original solo. grinning smiley

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:48

His Majesty
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
DoomandGloom
He created The Blind Faith album from dozens of reels with very few complete versions.

Where did you get that from?

Anyway, the stones usual way in the studio was to play everything to death until the magic appears. It could be - take 1, but if sonit's with lots of earlier attempts under their belt.

Remind me, does Bobby and Rocky play on the song part? If not why would they have them ready to record for an un planned jam section? The ending is obviously something they were already familiar with.
The Blind Faith is a long story Miller was flown to England and manufactured the album from incomplete takes as the record company was hot for the first supergroup. He pulled vocals and guitar parts from outtake reels placed them on 1/4 tapes and flew them into the masters. The band had given up on the project and left it for heroin.... According to him a courier was standing over him through out the weekend. As far as Bobby Keys or Rocky, that's the question I would ask if I had another chance, my guess would be they played on the entire song and Miller erased it for the impact of the outro, The Stones love to erase stuff unless it's Keith....Jimmy wasn't big on tall tails, he had enough true ones.

Ok it seems Jimmy was prone to some bullshitting and/or mis remembering.

[gpatt.customer.netspace.net.au]

"After this tour Blind Faith returned to the studio on June 23, now under the production guidance of  Jimmy Miller, to revisit "Had to Cry Today"( 26 takes) and work up "Do What You Like" (7 takes).  June 24 saw the completion of "Do What You Like", which was carefully crafted over 6 takes and "Had to Cry Today"  completed after 17 takes .  The session ended after some work on "Sleeping in the Ground".

On the 25th they commenced work with a superb jam, retrospectively titled "Acoustic Jam".  Then "Sleeping in the Ground" was finished after 28 takes.  It was at a faster tempo then the provisional master from the 23rd.

Jimmy Miller began mixing the album.  Quite correctly "Sleeping in the Ground" was abandoned - the most insipid blues rendition Clapton has ever  performed.  But Miller saw greater potential in "Can't Find My Way Home" then had been achieved.  On the 28th they returned to the studio and adopted minimal miking for an acoustic version.  After 24 takes they selected no. 21 as the master.  Ginger Baker still considers this song the hi-light of his recording career - 'nough said." Well the dates may be correct but there was no band there from what I know just studio wizardry.

It's really doubtful that CYHMK is really the take where they went on from song to instrumental for the first time.

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:54

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs
I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true.

Mathijs

Your usual Taylor double-standard. One can turn it around completely and say "despite not having played with these guys onstage in forty years they managed to make magic together." Was Taylor supposed to play the solo note-for-note from the record, even though Keith and Ronnie NEVER do on ANYTHING ELSE? Taylor did fine. He hit all the right emotional spots. The Stones are having the time of their lives. The audience is thrilled. In fact, almost everyone seems to be thrilled, except you, the same person who contended only days ago that Taylor "hardly played" on Exile On Main Street.

I don't hear any magic. He noodles around a theme he seems to barely remember And that's strange, as he has played it many times since.

I guess my expecations where higher. I expected Taylor to blow everybody off the stage with a mind boggling solo. The original solo is just 5 notes, and he must be able to build anthems around it ever since.

We are used to a Taylor playing minute-long mind boggling solo's night after night on just one or two chords in '72 and '72 -YCAGWYW and GS come to mind. We've been complaining about Wood butchering solo's on what we think is just easy stuff. And what happens now? Taylor does not have that 'wow' factor I expected of him. His solo on CYHMK is a far cry of what I thought, or expected, him to be capable off.

Mathijs

Unlike the solo, Mathijs you nailed this one, sorry to say it, it didn`t moved me either. I think from an emotional point of view it was great to see it, and let`s cherish this moment that Taylor is playing with the stones, but to be honest he is not that great as he used to be.

Date: May 24, 2013 00:54

His Majesty

Well, the main solo is 5, only the second four bars has an extra passing E.

Mathijs

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:55

Mathijs

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Just joking grinning smiley

Posted by: wild_horse_pete ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:58

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Hahahaha great to read that a Taylorian is quoting a post Taylor song! thumbs up lol

Date: May 24, 2013 00:58

DoomandGloom
Well the dates may be correct but there was no band there from what I know just studio wizardry.

They had access to session tapes and such for the Deluxe Edition of the album and Alan O Duffy has also said stuff about his time recording Blind Faith and mixing that album with Jimmy.

There might be some studio trickery like any album has, but no way is it the major thing your story implies. It's for sure the band were recorded by Miller etc at Olympic. There's even photos of them there.

Maybe he was just mis remembering and/or exagerating etc etc.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 01:15 by His Majesty.

Date: May 24, 2013 01:01

kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Good try, but it's "go take my wife". Keith always sang "fvck" in his back up vocals smiling smiley

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 24, 2013 01:03

Mathijs wrote:

"I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true."

You took the words out of my mouth completly, i was just going to say the same thing but decided to check the posts before. Just want to reaffirm Jagger´s and Richard´s moment (about 7,08 - 7,16 in the video i watched) that underlines my opinion that people that get along, best friends,love ones and so on don´t have to look at each other or put on some front all the time often it´s contrary. That was quite many here that misunderstood that.
N.B. Afformentioned connection between the Glimmer Twins takes place in the background when the spotlight is on Taylorsmiling smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 01:10

His Majesty
They had access to session tapes and such for the Deluxe Edition of the album and Alan O Duffy has also said stuff about his time recording Blind Faith and mixing that album with Jimmy.

There might be some studio trickery like any album has, but no way is it the major thing your story implies. It's for sure the band were recorded by Miller etc at Olympic. There's even photos of them there.
It's hard to say as he's long passed on but he told me he never saw them play a note and the recordings were "produced" by the band and he assembled and mixed it in few days. He felt bad doing it that way but he was under contract as an A&R producer and there was big money involved for a US tour that Blind Faith was determined to avoid. The only real evidence i can present is the record itself which is full of noisy generation loss and sloppy edits, the tour which was a catastrophe from all accounts and the lack of follow up album. Still it is one of my favorite albums I never let the "story" interfere with what comes out of the 2 speakers. The Stones story, well that's folklore, maybe that's what they want to believe happened or did happen. Certainly they were capable of superhuman events...

Date: May 24, 2013 01:11

Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 01:15

There are a finite amount of notes.....the cinnamon girl solo has one...

Date: May 24, 2013 01:24

His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?
Mathijs needs to smoke a fatty... Maybe he'll listen rather than count. With all the guitar garbage Keith and Ronnie have tossed at us how could this not be a highlight??? Granted they've done a more professional job the past six months still who can forget The Super Bowl mess??? If Mathijs doesn't like it he's entitled to his opinion but to look for little mistakes and say Mick Taylor's style stinks is just a little disrespectful to us fans who enjoyed this throughly, after all it's just a concert, we are fellow Stones fans, stop pissing on our happiest musical moment, maybe in our pathetic tone deaf lives.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 01:25 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 24, 2013 01:33

DoomandGloom
His Majesty

It's hard to say as he's long passed on but he told me he never saw them play a note and the recordings were "produced" by the band and he assembled and mixed it in few days. He felt bad doing it that way but he was under contract as an A&R producer and there was big money involved for a US tour that Blind Faith was determined to avoid. The only real evidence i can present is the record itself which is full of noisy generation loss and sloppy edits, the tour which was a catastrophe from all accounts and the lack of follow up album. Still it is one of my favorite albums I never let the "story" interfere with what comes out of the 2 speakers.

He's definitely mis remembering then, maybe he's mixing memories up with Spooky Tooth sessions or something.

Outside Olympic during Blind Faith sessions.

Date: May 24, 2013 01:47

NICE!!!!!! Really weird, which one is Clapton?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 01:48 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 24, 2013 01:51

DoomandGloom
NICE!!!!!! Really weird, which one is Clapton?

None of them, but Eric and Rick are in other photos from same day.

Date: May 24, 2013 01:56

Is that Chris Wood in the back???? Anyhow that dispels the myth he wasn't with them at the time. I imagine part of the story is true, maybe he left for the US and came back and they hadn't finished up.. I will leave it to the rock gods, I enjoyed your posts and information. After all I did say my story was second hand.. Stones Forever, D & G

Date: May 24, 2013 01:59

His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

Well, there's straight Dminor in the first 8 bars, but he them ommits the E entirely in the main solo, so that's 5. Anyway, he now adds the Aflat to give it a fusion-like sound... so cliche...

Mathijs

Date: May 24, 2013 02:01

DoomandGloom
Is that Chris Wood in the back???? Anyhow that dispels the myth he wasn't with them at the time. I imagine part of the story is true, maybe he left for the US and came back and they hadn't finished up.. I will leave it to the rock gods, I enjoyed your posts and information. After all I did say my story was second hand.. Stones Forever, D & G

Nah, it's not Chris Wood.

smileys with beer

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 24, 2013 02:34

DandelionPowderman
kleermaker
Mathijs

Mathijs

Lol!

He's so predictable
He's so predictable
Get out of my life
Don't take my wife
Don't come back!

Good try, but it's "go take my wife". Keith always sang "fvck" in his back up vocals smiling smiley

You obviously don't know my wife, but if you did you would understand why I corrected the lyrics a little bit. But well, here's a picture of her:

Date: May 24, 2013 04:27

so cliche

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2013 04:38

Mathijs
71Tele
Mathijs

Mathijs

Mathijs

More of the same. First you knock Taylor down all the time, saying any guitarist could have done the same thing in the Stones, he's overrated, that he "hardly played" on Exile (factually untrue), etc. THEN you build him up and expect amazing solos and claim to be disappointed when he doesn't deliver them. Why not simplify matters and just admit you don't like the guy no matter what he does or doesn't do?

And if you didn't feel any magic during CYHMK you must be made of wood (pun intended).

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2013 04:46

DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?
Mathijs needs to smoke a fatty... Maybe he'll listen rather than count. With all the guitar garbage Keith and Ronnie have tossed at us how could this not be a highlight??? Granted they've done a more professional job the past six months still who can forget The Super Bowl mess??? If Mathijs doesn't like it he's entitled to his opinion but to look for little mistakes and say Mick Taylor's style stinks is just a little disrespectful to us fans who enjoyed this throughly, after all it's just a concert, we are fellow Stones fans, stop pissing on our happiest musical moment, maybe in our pathetic tone deaf lives.

What I love about Mathijs (and I do love him) is that keith and Ronnie basically posed and played bum notes with wild abandon for ten years (when they were playing their instruments at all). Mathijs never says a word about it. But with Taylor, each note, hesitation, glissando, bend, pull-off, hammer-on, and fart is counted and measured by some special standard that only seems to apply to him. It must take immense discipline to carry a grudge for this long and be so single-minded about it

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: May 24, 2013 05:02

71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

What I love about Mathijs (and I do love him) is that keith and Ronnie basically posed and played bum notes with wild abandon for ten years (when they were playing their instruments at all). Mathijs never says a word about it. But with Taylor, each note, hesitation, glissando, bend, pull-off, hammer-on, and fart is counted and measured by some special standard that only seems to apply to him. It must take immense discipline to carry a grudge for this long and be so single-minded about it

Hmmmm...I think the main problem is that deep inside Mathijs feels that it's him who should be playing with the band.

Date: May 24, 2013 05:38

alimente
71Tele
DoomandGloom
His Majesty
Mathijs
His Majesty

Mathijs

Are you high?

Hmmmm...I think the main problem is that deep inside Mathijs feels that it's him who should be playing with the band.
He seems to take great pleasure in trying to make us feel stupid for loving an iconic Rolling Stone and enjoying Taylor's Cinderella story. He forgets this is a Fan Club.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 07:19

Ok ok....lesson over. Now play some friggin music, and I dont WANT to know the notes, as long as it sounds good. I play, I play alot! I sat down with CYHMK, until I nailed it, but it isn't the only or best way to play it......as far as jazz fusion leanings, well some people must dig it, it is a genre. The trouble in critiquing is you must make empirical judgements based on facts, not liking.......Jesus, I didn't mean to sound so pissy.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1443
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home