Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: This can make a grown man cry
Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 23, 2013 22:24

A guitar player in the dark when Taylor is not there, playing what Keith and Ronnie don't play today...

Keyboards in riff mode...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 22:25 by roby.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 23, 2013 22:28

GravityBoy
Doxa
His Majesty
JumpinJeppeFlash
Best version ever of CYHMK...

... is the studio version. winking smiley

This is true (for me). Not since whatever anyone does good or bad in the jam part of the song, but because Keith Richards can never reproduce that devilish angry bite he has in the original. One of the greatest and most efficient guitar performances ever put to the record. Therefore the actual song part has always been a huge disappointed for me, and the song always gets better when they come to the jam section, no matter is it Wood/Jagger or Taylor (with Keys) in charge from thereafter. It is Keith who fails live (and Jagger as a singer as well).

- Doxa

On the studio version Keith played that part in a trance 2,673 times before he told the producer "ok.. I'm ready".

If there is ever the riff-master in flesh, that's the one. Authentic Keith Richards zone. And the whole song is that Richards riffage. Funnily, when I used to listen STICKY FINGERS and that track I thought "damn, the longest outro I ever heard, the song ended days ago". But since hearing it live I go "damn, that's the longest intro I ever heard, took ages before the real action started..." grinning smiley

(Jagger seemed to think alike and throw the last line out at Staples, and sounded like he would like to have done it earlier....)

- Doxa

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 23, 2013 22:35

Doxa
If there is ever the riff-master in flesh, that's the one. Authentic Keith Richards zone.

That riff is always in the Guiytar magazines all time great riffs.

It deserves it.

However... part II should also be in an all time greatest list.. except it's harder to tab.

Just a wonderful piece of music all round that we should celebrate... the sax is marvelous too.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 23, 2013 22:40

GravityBoy
Doxa
If there is ever the riff-master in flesh, that's the one. Authentic Keith Richards zone.

It deserves it.

However... part II should also be in an all time greatest list.. except it's harder to tab.

Just a wonderful piece of music all round that we should celebrate... the sax is marvelous too.

Yup, great piece of music from beginning to end.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 23, 2013 22:47

DoomandGloom
JumpinJeppeFlash
It's good but i still think MT is oversoloing here. It doesn't really sound as it did when they recorded it. Best version in my opinion is MSG 2003 or maybe SDF 2007 when Ronnie plays the solo.
No way... The best part for me is the double stops before the opening signature lick.. Nobody would do that.. I can analyze each section the way I did when I was a kid to solos on Ya Ya's or The Allman's at The Fillmore. This is a cohesive, improvised solo from the soul. There's so much this man can say with a guitar, he's lived the blues life for 40 years, make no mistake this was important for him. I can not recall a musician who's fans have stuck by, pleaded, insisted and lifted him back to the world stage in this way. Credit goes to The Glimmers for staying in touch with their audience. Every Taylorite is up there with The Stones playing that guitar

No you're talkin' poetry!

Date: May 23, 2013 23:05

His Majesty
GravityBoy
Doxa

It deserves it.

Yes it is. But young Doxa didn't think alike. For that boy - a child of punk generation, a stubborn Woodist, who thought that if you can't say it in three minutes, you don't have anything to say - the instrumental part was an oddity, and a turn off after the earth-breaking 'song-part'. It was some strange, uncool jazzy, progressive rock-like or something, too much sax and everything, nothing to do with "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World". So that boy mostly skipped that part to get to "You Gotta Move"...

It took for that boy several years to understand the beauty of that part, and of depth and wide-scope greatness of The Rolling Stones - and of music over-all...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Date: May 23, 2013 23:14

thumbs up I like these little insights in to the early musical minds of iorr members.

Date: May 23, 2013 23:15

In the studio version... when Mick Taylor does his first glorious line and lets it hang... does Mick J do a "yeah" in the background?

It's all great.

Sonic heaven.

Date: May 23, 2013 23:18

Other bands can listen and weep.

Up there with their finest ever moments.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 23:23 by GravityBoy.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 23, 2013 23:22

That's about as good as their 1975 drive through the South...that was a finer moment too...

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 23, 2013 23:24

It sounds as if they have merged two cell phone recordings together (and they waved their phones in the air) get me a bit dizzy......

Date: May 23, 2013 23:27

GravityBoy
In the studio version... when Mick Taylor does his first glorious line and lets it hang... does Mick J do a "yeah" in the background?

It's all great.

Sonic heaven.

Yea, nice use of space on th studio version.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 23, 2013 23:31

Someone can correct me if I'm wrong but the story I heard regarding CYHMK is it was the first tune recorded for Sticky Fingers after a long layoff from one another. It was recorded in the first take and when the body of the song was done Charlie, Bobby and Keith kept playing and the outro just happened. Taylor's solo was played on his brown ES 345 and his chromatic ending was part of a piece he was planning for something else. Jimmy Miller added the percussion as an overdub and they made the necessary fixes to Wyman's bass and anyone else caught by surprise. This is what I recall being told by Jimmy Miller it's possible I'm confusing some of the details with TWFNO but I think this is right.. Anyhow these are the types of stories you get late night in recording studios..

Date: May 23, 2013 23:33

They have a story, but it seems very very doubtful the released version is the recording where such a thing happened if it did indeed happen.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 23:39 by His Majesty.

Date: May 23, 2013 23:38

Jimmy Miller was a master editor, he could slice out the ugly sections. He created The Blind Faith album from dozens of reels with very few complete versions.. Today's pro tool engineers would be amazed, he was a man with a very deep imagination and sense of timing.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 23, 2013 23:40

Doxa
Aah, now when seeing the whole last "episode" from a different angle, it looks like that Jagger was not trying to stop anything or trying to hurry up the ending, but just enjoying the solo and the groove as all the rest. Oh yes, that happy grin on his face when he he exchanging smiles with Keith is priceless - it is the great music that connects these men, of which they should be proud of, and Taylor sounds like channeling that magic and feeling to them. It looks so natural, in the heat of the moment.

And yeah, that natural crowd response in the end of the solo can make a grown man cry alone.

I guess each one in that arena, both on stage and in the audience, knew they were witnessing - or being in the middle of - something historical.

By the way, I think is not too wild guess that that solo was the most waited guitar solo ever in the history of the Stones. There was decades invested in that. I understand that how nervous the key players were, and how reliefed they all were when it all turned out to be fine - or awesome actually. I guess the same with audience response.

- Doxa

This. The band were quite aware that they hadn't played the song with Taylor, having give it up after the one shot in '71. Nice that Mick and Keith could enjoy it like the rest of the fans.

Date: May 23, 2013 23:50

TeddyB1018
Doxa
Aah, now when seeing the whole last "episode" from a different angle, it looks like that Jagger was not trying to stop anything or trying to hurry up the ending, but just enjoying the solo and the groove as all the rest. Oh yes, that happy grin on his face when he he exchanging smiles with Keith is priceless - it is the great music that connects these men, of which they should be proud of, and Taylor sounds like channeling that magic and feeling to them. It looks so natural, in the heat of the moment.

And yeah, that natural crowd response in the end of the solo can make a grown man cry alone.

I guess each one in that arena, both on stage and in the audience, knew they were witnessing - or being in the middle of - something historical.

By the way, I think is not too wild guess that that solo was the most waited guitar solo ever in the history of the Stones. There was decades invested in that. I understand that how nervous the key players were, and how reliefed they all were when it all turned out to be fine - or awesome actually. I guess the same with audience response.

- Doxa

This. The band were quite aware that they hadn't played the song with Taylor, having give it up after the one shot in '71. Nice that Mick and Keith could enjoy it like the rest of the fans.

Regards that infamous '71 one timer... When Taylor reaches Bobby during the solo, one can almost feel they thinking "Okay Bobby/Mick, we don't screw it up this time..." The ending of the song, the final outro, is a like those two guys making a powerful duo statement to the rest of the band that "here it is: take it or leave it, but there is no heaven way it will be any better ever!".

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 23:52 by Doxa.

Date: May 24, 2013 00:08

DoomandGloom
He created The Blind Faith album from dozens of reels with very few complete versions.

Where did you get that from?

Anyway, the stones usual way in the studio was to play everything to death until the magic appears. It could be - take 1, but if so it's with lots of earlier attempts under their belt.

Remind me, does Bobby and Rocky play on the song part? If not why would they have them ready to record for an un planned jam section? The ending is obviously something they were already familiar with.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 00:15 by His Majesty.

Date: May 24, 2013 00:09

Doxa
TeddyB1018
Doxa

- Doxa

Regards that infamous '71 one timer... When Taylor reaches Bobby during the solo, one can almost feel they thinking "Okay Bobby/Mick, we don't screw it up this time..." The ending of the song, the final outro, is a like those two guys making a powerful duo statement to the rest of the band that "here it is: take it or leave it, but there is no heaven way it will be any better ever!".

- Doxa
Yes that's the tension that makes this type of music great. Every time I saw Jimmy Page stumble through songs like "Over The Hills and Far Away" I felt like that. Just like rooting for Dicky Betts as he pushed through Jessica, the entire audience holding it's breath, Chuck reckless, turning his piano into a powerhouse. If you are too young and want to know what rock bands were like at it's highest form of creativity, look at CYHMK's clip from this week. The present Stones line up is a great band.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 00:11 by DoomandGloom.

Date: May 24, 2013 00:11

Doxa
GravityBoy
Doxa
His Majesty
JumpinJeppeFlash
Best version ever of CYHMK...

... is the studio version. winking smiley

This is true (for me). Not since whatever anyone does good or bad in the jam part of the song, but because Keith Richards can never reproduce that devilish angry bite he has in the original. One of the greatest and most efficient guitar performances ever put to the record. Therefore the actual song part has always been a huge disappointed for me, and the song always gets better when they come to the jam section, no matter is it Wood/Jagger or Taylor (with Keys) in charge from thereafter. It is Keith who fails live (and Jagger as a singer as well).

- Doxa

On the studio version Keith played that part in a trance 2,673 times before he told the producer "ok.. I'm ready".

If there is ever the riff-master in flesh, that's the one. Authentic Keith Richards zone. And the whole song is that Richards riffage. Funnily, when I used to listen STICKY FINGERS and that track I thought "damn, the longest outro I ever heard, the song ended days ago". But since hearing it live I go "damn, that's the longest intro I ever heard, took ages before the real action started..." grinning smiley

(Jagger seemed to think alike and throw the last line out at Staples, and sounded like he would like to have done it earlier....)

- Doxa

Usually, one grows up the other way round. You've found your fountain of youth, Doxa - I'm happy for you grinning smiley

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:14

I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true.

Mathijs

Date: May 24, 2013 00:16

Mathijs
I guess I am the only one whom thinks this was just one big dissapointment...I find it unbelievable that after 40 years Taylor gets the chance of his lifetime to appear again with the Stones, get acknowledged and get his credit, and what happens? He starts the solo clearly not knowing what to play. He hasn't listened to the record in 40 years. So, after a few bars he goes into this lifeless fake fusion noodling again, just as he has done for the last 25 years, and he wiggles his way towards the ending. Was Taylor nervous? He was 200 times better last year on that TV show.

Only enjoyable bit was the ending where Jagger seems to point at Keith in a 'it's your turn' way, and both laugh about it. There's been stories about them avoiding eachother, and that does not seem to be true.

Mathijs

grinning smiley

Date: May 24, 2013 00:18

Bring on the army! grinning smiley

Posted by: mr_dja ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:22

Doxa
His Majesty
GravityBoy
Doxa

It deserves it.

Yes it is. But young Doxa didn't think alike. For that boy - a child of punk generation, a stubborn Woodist, who thought that if you can't say it in three minutes, you don't have anything to say - the instrumental part was an oddity, and a turn off after the earth-breaking 'song-part'. It was some strange, uncool jazzy, progressive rock-like or something, too much sax and everything, nothing to do with "The Greatest Rock'n'Roll Band in the World". So that boy mostly skipped that part to get to "You Gotta Move"...

It took for that boy several years to understand the beauty of that part, and of depth and wide-scope greatness of The Rolling Stones - and of music over-all...>grinning smiley<

- Doxa

Doxa, I think I've told you before how much I enjoy your posts, even if I don't always agree with you...

Ain't it great to be able to grow up with music and understand it in ways you didn't previously? It's my belief that certain aspects of music make themselves audible to you when you are ready to hear them. I know I wouldn't have understood some of the R&B/soul/funk that I love today when I was a teenager.

Peace,
Mr DJA

Date: May 24, 2013 00:25

His Majesty
DoomandGloom
He created The Blind Faith album from dozens of reels with very few complete versions.

Where did you get that from?

Anyway, the stones usual way in the studio was to play everything to death until the magic appears. It could be - take 1, but if sonit's with lots of earlier attempts under their belt.

Remind me, does Bobby and Rocky play on the song part? If not why would they have them ready to record for an un planned jam section? The ending is obviously something they were already familiar with.
The Blind Faith is a long story Miller was flown to England and manufactured the album from incomplete takes as Atlantic was hot for the first supergroup and the tour was booked. He pulled vocals and guitar parts from outtake reels placed them on 1/4 inch tapes and flew them into the masters. The band had given up on the project and left it for heroin, they felt they could break the contract if there was no complete album.... According to him he'd never seen that many tapes and a record company courier was standing over him through out the weekend. As far as Bobby Keys or Rocky, that's the question I would ask if I had another chance, my guess would be they played on the entire song and Miller erased it for the impact of the outro, The Stones love to erase stuff unless it's Keith....Jimmy wasn't big on tall tails, he had enough true ones.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 00:41 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:26

I can't comment, zombie Taylorites have found my street, after suggesting he was great, but not the second com...........damn, I'm doing it again.

Date: May 24, 2013 00:28

Mathijs

Mathijs
Well he's played it with his own band so he's listened to it. So sorry it didn't sound like the record. Same goes for Sunshine of Your Love from Live Cream, nothing like the record,, just horrible...confused smiley

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:29

Mathijs

Mathijs

Your usual Taylor double-standard. One can turn it around completely and say "despite not having played with these guys onstage in forty years they managed to make magic together." Was Taylor supposed to play the solo note-for-note from the record, even though Keith and Ronnie NEVER do on ANYTHING ELSE? Taylor did fine. He hit all the right emotional spots. The Stones are having the time of their lives. The audience is thrilled. In fact, almost everyone seems to be thrilled, except you, the same person who contended only days ago that Taylor "hardly played" on Exile On Main Street.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-24 00:31 by 71Tele.

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 24, 2013 00:33

71Tele
Mathijs

Mathijs

Your usual Taylor double-standard. One can turn it around completely and say "despite not having played with these guys onstage in forty years they managed to make magic together." Was Taylor supposed to play the solo note-for-note from the record, even though Keith and Ronnie NEVER do on ANYTHING ELSE? Taylor did fine. He hit all the right emotional spots. The Stones are having the time of their lives. The audience is thrilled. In fact, almost everyone seems to be thrilled, except you, the same person who contended only days ago that Taylor "hardly played" on Exile On Main Street.

I agree, reference the main themes and make it better, has to be some second guessing in 40 years. It's a starting point, now stick with it and whip it into shape on the stage........

Date: May 24, 2013 00:35

The best parts he played sound nothing like the record...

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1426
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home