Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: Dirty Work--anyone here think it's underrated?
Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:26

treaclefingers
No, it's not underrated...a solid 2 stars out of 5.

Well, maybe not solid.

I would agree it's a solid "number 2".

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 22, 2013 18:32

Always liked the album.

Without DW, it would have been a long time between Undercover & Steel Wheels - something that we are experiencing now.

The only regret I have with that fact that DW was released is that it probably meant that more Mick Jagger solo albums were not produced and Mick Jagger did not tour with his solo material.

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:12

Listened to it a lot when it came out. Ahhhh, the mid-80s - lots of fun times.

Only song I really hate is BTZ. I think Winning Ugly has a Marvin Gaye Motown type vibe. Would love to see the song Dirty Work played live.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:15

71Tele
treaclefingers
No, it's not underrated...a solid 2 stars out of 5.

Well, maybe not solid.

I would agree it's a solid "number 2".

pick up the dog doo; hope that it's hard....

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:55

by far, their worst effort ... a couple 'decent' songs but overall shite

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2013 19:58

What's "funny" if you like to look behind the curtain ( = listen to bootlegs) is the more they worked on DW the crappier and more stale the music got.

The first sessions in Paris were fresh and promising, the NY sessions are still ok BUT the final/lp versions and songs are horrific (with the exception of "One Hit" : the official version beats all bootleg ones).

Date: May 22, 2013 20:06

A couple of decent songs? Really?

I really don't know what's so bad with HS, ST and OHTTB.

That's three songs...

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: May 22, 2013 20:19

Posted by: AllAboutYours ()
Date: May 22, 2013 21:51

Cover is pretty horrible as is production. There's still good songs in it. And even good guitar sounds;last album with Mesa Boogie amps and Delay slapbacks. Sleep Tonight is last great Keith song. Anyway, it's all covered up with that sleezy production.

Date: May 22, 2013 21:55

DandelionPowderman

That's three songs...

OK, in the spirit of brotherhood we'll give you three decent songs. But I don't want to ever have to hear Winning Ugly again, even by accident.

Posted by: mailexile67 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 22:05

DW is the worst album together with BTB...Production is bad, sound is too much heavy and "oppressive" so the drum sound...Only "One hit", "DW" and the two Keith ballads are good, then there is also the worst stones song of all times:"Back to zero"...Thanks Chuck!

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 22, 2013 22:53

With the exception of the musical content it seems to be the most popular Stones album ever made. Certainly the most talked about...

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 23, 2013 02:15

I genuinely like Harlem Shuffle, Too Rude, Back To Zero, Dirty Work, Had It With YOu, and Sleep Tonight.

One Hit to the Body has great guitar work. Hold Back has a wonderful finish. The Winning Ugly 12" single is more interesting than the LP track. Fight has the same guitar break as on Too Tough on UNDERCOVER.

Those are the positive things I can say about the album.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 23, 2013 02:27

Stoneage
With the exception of the musical content it seems to be the most popular Stones album ever made. Certainly the most talked about...

Never has an album of songs been so little heard, yet so endlessly discussed.

Date: May 23, 2013 02:29

one Hit To the Body is in my top 10 stones songs- I am thrilled to this day they did it at my first show 9/1/89 as well as Harlem Shuffle. I also like Fight and Winning Ugly, I don't listen to the rest of the album much.
Although I like Steel Wheels and Voodo Lounge Better, One Hit is my favorite among the three albums.

Date: May 23, 2013 04:04

stonehearted
Stoneage

Never has an album of songs been so little heard, yet so endlessly discussed.

Let's not forget all of the the DW Tour discussions - this tour gets more ink than most of the other tours as well. >grinning smiley<

Date: May 23, 2013 04:13

Elmo Lewis
Listened to it a lot when it came out. Ahhhh, the mid-80s - lots of fun times.

Only song I really hate is BTZ. I think Winning Ugly has a Marvin Gaye Motown type vibe. Would love to see the song Dirty Work played live.

I'd love to see that song played live, too. My favorite track on the album. The high hat/snare interplay near the end and Mick's rap ending in "let 'em eat shit, let 'em eat DIRT!" are great! I know Charlie's on heroin at this point and not on this album much, but if he's on this track he's KILLING it.

Date: May 23, 2013 04:15

AllAboutYours
Cover is pretty horrible as is production. There's still good songs in it. And even good guitar sounds;last album with Mesa Boogie amps and Delay slapbacks. Sleep Tonight is last great Keith song. Anyway, it's all covered up with that sleezy production.

Yeah the production stinks. It's 1986, not a shocker there--almost EVERY single album released in 1986, if not EVERY single album released then has horrible production. The 80s were a terrifying time for album production, the worst recorded music ever sounded, with perhaps the exception of these days and the obsession with auto tune on all vocals. Auto tune is to vocals these days what gated reverb was to snare drums those days. :sigh:

Date: May 23, 2013 04:19

mailexile67
DW is the worst album together with BTB...Production is bad, sound is too much heavy and "oppressive" so the drum sound...Only "One hit", "DW" and the two Keith ballads are good, then there is also the worst stones song of all times:"Back to zero"...Thanks Chuck!

I need to restate here that ALL four of the new songs on Forty Licks are eons worse than "Back To Zero." There's just no comparison here . . . Those songs are the worst the Stones ever did, bar absolutely none. Coasting so lazily to be utterly rendered unlistenable, period. Also, do you mean Bridges To Babylon or Between The Buttons? winking smiley Personally I thought B2B (Bridges To Babylon) was a decent, solid record. There's not one track on there that I hate even slightly, but a lot of it hasn't stood the test of time. "Out Of Control," "Saint Of Me" and the closing 2 Keith numbers are great though, IMHO.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 23, 2013 05:15

No it is not underated it is bad album plain and simple!

Date: May 23, 2013 05:21

slew
No it is not underated it is bad album plain and simple!

Nonsense! You have been brain washed like the rest of those that think it is some inferior piece of Stones artistry. It growls with anger and Mick sings it so. I absolutely love it except for Back To Zero. It's the only one I would have left off the album. The rest are fantastic. Of course it's underrated!

Date: May 23, 2013 05:28

I am now listening to it! On my Bose headphones! One Hit! Awesome!

Date: May 23, 2013 05:35

Damn I love Fight!

Date: May 23, 2013 05:38

Harlem Shuffle! I want to get up and do the Ali shuffle!

Date: May 23, 2013 06:00

I am waiting for the "Is Monkey Grip Underrated?" thread for years now.

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 23, 2013 06:01

Jack - I have not been brainwashed I have hated it since it came out. One Hit and Harlem Shuffle are good songs the rest is terrible. Mick sleepwalks through the album. Hold Back, Fight, Winning Ugly and Back To Zero are as bad as it gets for Stones songs. If Jagger was into it and did his part it may have been better. Mick wanted to be a solo star at the time and it is probably the only time he has not given it his all as a Rolling Stone. One Hit and Harlem Shuffle were played on the SW tour in 1989 and we've heard nothing from it since. There is a reason for that. Its just not a good album IMO. I don't need to be told I've been brainwashed by others if that were the case I'd be saying Keith can't play anymore and the current tour is lousy etc. I will state once again that Dirty Work is the worst Rolling Stones albums out there and its one of the worst albums by a top rock band.

Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 23, 2013 06:12

Nobody is talking about the gorilla in the room. Dare I say it....Their Satanic Majesties Request. Neo-psychedelic Bill Wyman songs. Need I say more?smoking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-23 06:28 by crholmstrom.

Posted by: LeonidP ()
Date: May 23, 2013 06:23

DandelionPowderman

That's three songs...

Yes, that's 3 'decent' songs ... well, 2 anyway, as I don't rate Sleep Tonight very highly - I much prefer Slipping Away from Steel Wheels. Although I do put Too Rude in as a 'decent' track, so that puts us back up to 3. The rest of the album is, like I said, shite.

Date: May 23, 2013 06:59

slew
Jack - I have not been brainwashed I have hated it since it came out. One Hit and Harlem Shuffle are good songs the rest is terrible. Mick sleepwalks through the album. Hold Back, Fight, Winning Ugly and Back To Zero are as bad as it gets for Stones songs. If Jagger was into it and did his part it may have been better. Mick wanted to be a solo star at the time and it is probably the only time he has not given it his all as a Rolling Stone. One Hit and Harlem Shuffle were played on the SW tour in 1989 and we've heard nothing from it since. There is a reason for that. Its just not a good album IMO. I don't need to be told I've been brainwashed by others if that were the case I'd be saying Keith can't play anymore and the current tour is lousy etc. I will state once again that Dirty Work is the worst Rolling Stones albums out there and its one of the worst albums by a top rock band.

Well, I guess we are just going to have to agree to disagree. I love it, I honestly do.

Date: May 23, 2013 07:41

Come On

Nuh uh - I'm canceling out your vote:

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1892
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home