Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Ear ringing since Saturday Night in Anaheim...how long will this last?
Posted by: mgshorr ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:10

I was right next to the stage when Dave Grohl soloed on Bitch. My left ear has been ringing since then. (3rd day today)

Figure about 90% of you will joke me, but seriously, how long could this last?

The ringing is not noticeable in a normal setting of conversation etc...but very noticeable in a quiet room and when trying to sleep.

History = No prior ear damage/ringing etc....

Any help/experience appreciated.

MGS

Re: Ear ringing since Saturday Night in Anaheim...how long will this last?
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:14

No joke. Go see a Dr about tinnitus...it truly happens and possibly some help available...

Rotten Grohl

Date: May 22, 2013 04:15

Munichhilton
No joke. Go see a Dr about tinnitus...it truly happens and possibly some help available...

Rotten Grohl

Thanks, have something scheduled for Thursday. From what I've read around the internet, some people say it is permanent, others say it goes away.

Truth be told I'm getting a bit nervous after 3 days......

Posted by: Straycat13 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:23

My hearing was muffled through Sun, but thankfully returned to normal, I think. The only way to communicate during the show was to yell loudly directly in my ears, so that can't be good.

In your case, I'd see a doctor, too. Sorry about the ringing. Hope it returns to normal. Incidentally, I did see people with ear plugs.

It makes me wonder how the Stones' hearing is.

Best wishes to you!

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:27

mgshorr
Munichhilton

Rotten Grohl

Thanks, have something scheduled for Thursday. From what I've read around the internet, some people say it is permanent, others say it goes away.

Truth be told I'm getting a bit nervous after 3 days......

Tinnitus is permanent, isn't it?

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:28

you will be fine, it usually takes long term exposure for real damage. Do not take aspirin as it makes it worse. don't be nervous it will subside, if you have trouble sleeping keep the tv on... not much help for full blown chronic tinnitus but you don't have that from one incident......Cancel the doctor and chew some gum kiddo..

Posted by: Jah Paul ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:31

In my 30 years of attending concerts, the only time my ears truly hurt was during The Who's Quadrophenia concert at the Honda Center in Anaheim (then known as the Arrowhead Pond) way back in 1996...was near the front and it was just too loud. Had ringing similar to yours for a couple of days, but then it went away. As others have advised, see a doc this week if you can if it doesn't get better. Good luck!

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:33

Date: May 22, 2013 04:38

Thx all

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 22, 2013 09:12

mgshorr
Thx all

You need to be nervous, get to that ear dr. pronto! when I was 23 I woke up one morning totally deaf in one ear after having perfect hearing all my life. is called ideopathic hearing loss (ideo meaning no knwon cause) and was sudden, profound & not reverseable. was in and out of some of the top hospitals in new york city for many years after that & saw drs. who wrote the medical books! wish i'd seen your post sooner. good luck! and i have permanent ringing in that ear.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 09:15 by owlbynite.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 22, 2013 09:15

owlbynite
mgshorr
Thx all

You need to be nervous, get to that ear dr. pronto! when I was 23 I woke up one morning totally deaf in one ear after having perfect hearing all my life. is called ideopathic hearing loss (ideo meaning no knwon cause) and was sudden, profound & not reverseable. was in and out of some of the top hospitals in new york city for many years after that & saw drs. who wrote the medical books! wish i'd seen your post sooner. good luck!

What happened in the end, how are you today Owl?

Of coure the best idea is to own and always take a good pair of ear plugs.

Posted by: Aquamarine ()
Date: May 22, 2013 09:27

Yes, I wish I'd learned that lesson years ago, as I've got considerable hearing loss after decades of loud rock 'n' roll. I eventually started using them after a show that was so loud (I was standing in front of the speakers) that it was affecting my inner ear and I kept feeling I was going to pass out. Quite apart from the temporary-deafness factor. But the good news is that the ringing from that show did wear off, and since using the right kind of earplugs I've never had that problem again, and at least I'm saving what's left of my hearing.

(By the right kind, I mean the kind that fit snugly into the ear canal--if you get a good brand, you can still hear the show clearly, just less loud.)

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: May 22, 2013 09:31

Is there a "get out" for the promotors clause when you buy the tickets?

Surely if damage is done then someone is culpable?

Date: May 22, 2013 09:40

Max'sKansasCity
owlbynite
mgshorr
Thx all

You need to be nervous, get to that ear dr. pronto! when I was 23 I woke up one morning totally deaf in one ear after having perfect hearing all my life. is called ideopathic hearing loss (ideo meaning no knwon cause) and was sudden, profound & not reverseable. was in and out of some of the top hospitals in new york city for many years after that & saw drs. who wrote the medical books! wish i'd seen your post sooner. good luck!

hi max, that day was the total end of hearing in that ear for life (not due to any loud rock concerts) & i've lived like that ever since & taught myself how to lip-read when necessary, things get really scary if i get occasional ringing in my good ear. don't know how many times one of my dogs had to lick my face to wake me when i slept on my good ear & didn't hear my alarm. so, that's how i am today! your senses are a gift, never take them for granted. thanks for asking. what are you doing up so late? winking smiley

Date: May 22, 2013 09:40

Aquamarine
Yes, I wish I'd learned that lesson years ago, as I've got considerable hearing loss after decades of loud rock 'n' roll. I eventually started using them after a show that was so loud (I was standing in front of the speakers) that it was affecting my inner ear and I kept feeling I was going to pass out. Quite apart from the temporary-deafness factor. But the good news is that the ringing from that show did wear off, and since using the right kind of earplugs I've never had that problem again, and at least I'm saving what's left of my hearing.

(By the right kind, I mean the kind that fit snugly into the ear canal--if you get a good brand, you can still hear the show clearly, just less loud.)

Great advice thumbs up I bought my good ear plugs at a musci store and the schtick is supposedly (and I guess I agree) low level noise comes through so you can hear people talking, but they kick in and block high levels of sound.

I bought my first paid of ear plugs after using napkins to plug my ears at a crazy loud concert, I think it was the Balck and Blue tour (Black Sabbth with Blue Oyster Cult opening, and it was stupid loud..... it took a week to get all of the napkins out of my ear, finally getting some help do it with tweezers (yeah dumb kid stuff) (but at least I got smart and bought some cheapos for the next shows....and eventually bought really good ear plugs)

i post this mainly for parents considering who take their kids to concerts buy the kids plugs(its too late all for all of us old people, we blew our ears out years ago ;0 ). Ear damage can happen instantly and is permanent.

Date: May 22, 2013 09:47

GravityBoy

doubt promoters have any liability since tickets are purchased voluntarily. but, culpable or not, nobody can put humptey-dumptey back together again when a sense is lost. eye rolling smiley

Date: May 22, 2013 09:47

owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
owlbynite
mgshorr
Thx all

hi max, that day was the total end of hearing in that ear for life (not due to any loud rock concerts) & i've lived like that ever since & taught myself how to lip-read when necessary, things get really scary if i get occasional ringing in my good ear. don't know how many times one of my dogs had to lick my face to wake me when i slept on my good ear & didn't hear my alarm. so, that's how i am today! your senses are a gift, never take them for granted. thanks for asking. what are you doing up so late? winking smiley

Man, that is too bad, sorry to learn that. Hopefully peole can learn from that, at least the apprecition factor.... and getting to a Doctor... and buying good plugs.

I am on an adjusted schedule for a bit... so thank goodness for good ole IORR on the down time. Open 24 hours a day, with people always checking in from around the globe, at all hours. That is my favorite thing about this place, a truly international, 24/7/365 board.

Posted by: tiffjagger ()
Date: May 22, 2013 09:52

mgshorr
I was right next to the stage when Dave Grohl soloed on Bitch. My left ear has been ringing since then. (3rd day today)

Figure about 90% of you will joke me, but seriously, how long could this last?

The ringing is not noticeable in a normal setting of conversation etc...but very noticeable in a quiet room and when trying to sleep.

History = No prior ear damage/ringing etc....

Any help/experience appreciated.

MGS

I'm sorry about your ears still ringing and yes you should see a doctor asap...but we must of been standing in the same area because Grohl was right in front of me during Bitch. Wasn't it awesome?!
I had to see my Osteopath today for an adjustment from standing in the Pit for over 3 hours. Oh the joys of rock and roll and being 44! But it was worth it.

Date: May 22, 2013 09:59

GravityBoy

If they didn't issue warnings about possible ear damage there is probably a case there.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 22, 2013 10:03

I had ringing for 2 days after an AC/DC concert...wasn't even the band, just some shrill teenage girls we were unfortunately sitting in proximity to.

Keep the appt...hopefully you won't need it but better safe than sorry.

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 22, 2013 10:04

Could be something to worry about. But here's my experience:

I went to loud rock concerts sporadically in high school. Back at school my friends' and my ears would ring for less than a week and return to normal.

In college I went to a loud rock concert—a reunited punk band—that was absurdly loud. Some of my college friends hadn't been to rock concerts like I had in high school. So when their ears rang the next day they were worried. I told them their ears would return to normal. And they did. And we all today have normal hearing. But for my friends' sake I did a little reading up—and this could be completely wrong, as I'm not a doctor, and this was a while ago—and I read that hairs that stand up inside your ear canal are flattened by loud noise, and a ringing is the result. It takes a few days for the hairs in your ears to stand straight again, when the ringing stops.

I'll gladly be corrected on this.

As I said, my exposure to such loudness has been very sporadic—which is why I never worried too much about it—but I have thought about Mick and Keith having had tons more exposure to such loud music than I—and they're decades older—and they still seem to hear interviewers' questions okay.

P.S. A friend in high school as a standard thing took ear plugs to shows in case it turned out painfully loud. Sounded kind of "uncool" but it wasn't stupid.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-22 10:06 by Title5Take1.

Date: May 22, 2013 10:21

Max'sKansasCity
owlbynite
Max'sKansasCity
owlbynite
mgshorr
Thx all

Man, that is too bad, sorry to learn that. Hopefully peole can learn from that, at least the apprecition factor.... and getting to a Doctor... and buying good plugs.

I am on an adjusted schedule for a bit... so thank goodness for good ole IORR on the down time. Open 24 hours a day, with people always checking in from around the globe, at all hours. That is my favorite thing about this place, a truly international, 24/7/365 board.

mine wasn't caused by a loud rock concert or other loud noise..i was just sleeping. literally. drs tried to figure out for years what happened, they looked for tumors, tested for malignancy & anything else they could think of. all to no avail. important to protect your senses, take nothing for granted. sadly, doctors cannot reverse a lost sense. thanks anyway!
mgshorr, wish i knew a good ear dr. out here but all my work was done in new york. anytime i see any out here they just tell me how hopeless my case is & they can't cure me either. some help.
yes, IORR is a 24/7 board, always something! confused smiley

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 22, 2013 11:46

There's 90% chance your hearing will heal by itself BUT you have to be helpful = don't allow any more sonic trauma to allow for at least one week.

That means no lawn moaning no rock shows and wearing foam earplugs in loud places including busy streets or subway. I really recommend you wear these... you'll get better sooner. thumbs up

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:01

Only Americans would even think about taking legal action against a promoter for hearing damage!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:03

....check there's not a vacuum-cleaner salesman at ya front door

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:13

I smell a lawsuit coming on. Can you wait until the tour's over please! >grinning smiley<

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:34

These things CAN be temporary -

I experienced something likewise in the 90's, after a Motörhead clubconcert...
It took 3 days before I was able to hear a phone ringing again (wouldn't have made a big difference if I had heared it ringing, for I would have been unable to have that conversation anyhow anyway...)

Just saying: it doesn't HAVE to be 'definitive'.
But indeed: go see a doctor about it; and stay away from loud noise for at least a week (I'd say: no more - loud - concerts for at least a month...?!)

All the best to ya, mate!

Date: May 22, 2013 12:37

crumbling_mice
Only Americans would even think about taking legal action against a promoter for hearing damage!

You what?

Posted by: RaahenTiikeri ()
Date: May 22, 2013 12:41

i had ear ringing 3-4 days after Stones in Helsinkin 2007.
I was standing about 5 meter from keith side of the stage.
Couple of songs distance was smaller.

Date: May 22, 2013 12:52

Title5Take1
P.S. A friend in high school as a standard thing took ear plugs to shows in case it turned out painfully loud. Sounded kind of "uncool" but it wasn't stupid.

To this day/night I feel uncool when I put my dumb old man ear plugs in, it does feel odd.... heck I skip putting them in unless I feel it getting too loud, but I always try to remember to take them with to every show. They are in my "concert kit".

I usually (probably because of the type of shows I attend these days) end up only putting one ear plug in at a time and then maybe alternate ears. If I am by the stack of speakers that ear will get one, and towards the end of a show if/when they start turning it up, I will put both in, but usually just one at a time, giving each ear a rest, while hearing live sound in the other.

Anyway... that is what works for me, and I havent had ringing ears for a long long time. Take care of yourself, you are too valuable not too.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1859
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home