Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4
Re: RIP - Ray Manzarek
Posted by: Send It To me ()
Date: May 22, 2013 06:24

tatters
Ultimate Classic Rock recently declared The Golden Scarab to be the worst solo album ever to be released by any member of any well-known band.

Um... yeah... Rock on, dude - noble effort.

Date: May 22, 2013 06:24

Wuudy
DeanGoodman
Sad. I was thinking about him 2 hours ago as I walked past the Doors mural outside Trader Joe's in West Hollywood. Real nice guy, if a tad verbose. We talked on the phone a few times, at length. And in person once at the VH1 Storytellers rehearsal. He never forgave Oliver Stone. And he loved the weed and his wife - not necessarily in that order.

He was very cosmic, and I doubt he was afraid of dying. It's tough for the family and friends, though.

I always thought Robby would go before him.

Sorry, don't know this story about Oliver Stone. What happened? He never forgave him for what?

Thanks.

making jim morrison look like a drunk fool who flew off the handle all the time

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 22, 2013 06:51

This solo Ray is really over the top, but I kinda like it....

Perfumed Garden

Very mid-70s!

OT Ray Manzarek
Posted by: pilou ()
Date: May 22, 2013 08:47

Ray Manzarek died yesterday evening in the hospital. He was 74.

I am so sad this morning. He is leaving us with a huge legacy.

Thank you for all this music that you have done.

RIP

Re: OT Ray Manzarek
Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 22, 2013 08:52

There are a couple threads on Ray already...a current event here yesterday. winking smiley

OT: Ray Manzarek is dead
Posted by: noughties ()
Date: May 27, 2013 22:53

Keyboardist of The Doors has died of cancer.

[www.rollingstone.com]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-27 22:53 by noughties.

Re: OT: Ray Manzarek is dead
Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: May 27, 2013 23:03

is he still dead ? confused smiley

Sadly, he died a few days ago...

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 28, 2013 00:43

gripweed
is he still dead ? confused smiley

Sadly, he died a few days ago...

I thought it was a week ago...where does the time go?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:27

Hoo, boy. If you want to continue to admire Ray, don't read John Densmore's new book THE DOORS UNHINGED. I'm justing coming to its end, and Ray comes across as as rotten as it gets.

Date: May 29, 2013 07:52

Send It To me
tatters
Ultimate Classic Rock recently declared The Golden Scarab to be the worst solo album ever to be released by any member of any well-known band.

Um... yeah... Rock on, dude - noble effort.
I love the Doors and Ray is one of my favorite keyboard players of all time but this song is beyond horrible....

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2013 07:58

Title5Take1
Hoo, boy. If you want to continue to admire Ray, don't read John Densmore's new book THE DOORS UNHINGED. I'm justing coming to its end, and Ray comes across as as rotten as it gets.

Densmore and Manzarek did not wind up as the best of friends in the end, with Densmore bowing out of the Doors of the 21st Century and joining up with the side that was suing Manzarek and Krieger in court to stop them from using the Doors as part of the name for their renewed touring venture. On top of this, Manzarek subsequently began giving radio interviews claiming that it was not a case of tendonitis that kept Densmore from rejoining them for touring, but that Densmore, in Manzarek's bluntly unkind words, "just can't cut the mustard anymore."

Date: May 29, 2013 08:58

stonehearted
Title5Take1

Densmore and Manzarek did not wind up as the best of friends in the end, with Densmore bowing out of the Doors of the 21st Century and joining up with the side that was suing Manzarek and Krieger in court to stop them from using the Doors as part of the name for their renewed touring venture. On top of this, Manzarek subsequently began giving radio interviews claiming that it was not a case of tendonitis that kept Densmore from rejoining them for touring, but that Densmore, in Manzarek's bluntly unkind words, "just can't cut the mustard anymore."

i always though densmore only wanted to tour if eddie vedder was doing the lead vocals like at the RNR HOF ceremony?

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:41

keefriffhard4life
stonehearted
Title5Take1

i always though densmore only wanted to tour if eddie vedder was doing the lead vocals like at the RNR HOF ceremony?

The story I heard was that Stewart Copeland was supposed to be filling in for Densmore because of the latter's tendonitis. Here's a Guitar World blurb on that from 2002:

[www.idafan.com]

I doubt it was the choice of singer to fill in for Jim. It seems there was a heated disagreement over allowing the licensing of Doors music for advertising, which, it appears, Densmore opposed:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

It appears Densmore was countersued by Manzarek and Krieger to the tune of $40 million over the licensing deal.

"Densmore’s book details two court cases he was involved in about a decade ago, lawsuits that pitted him, singer Jim Morrison’s estate and the estate of Morrison’s girlfriend, Pamela Courson , against Manzarek and Krieger over the use of the Doors name by Manzarek and Krieger, as well as a $40-million countersuit against Densmore because he refused to go along with licensing Doors’ music for advertising campaigns."

[www.latimes.com]

Here is a more detailed account of the legal proceedings from the official Doors website:

In a bizarre twist of the ordinary the Washington Post reported in their article, “Re-Opened Doors: Another Wallow In The Mire” that Ray “Manzarek who looks fabulous for a 66-year old rocker, slandered Densmore again and again from the stage, and urged fans to surf to a Doors Web site, to e-mail character and sexual slurs to his former mate.”

[www.doors.com]

Here's the link to the Washington Post article mentioned above:

[www.washingtonpost.com]

And here's the link to a John Densmore forum where you can find that link as well as other links, stories, and comments:

[forum.johndensmore.com]

Unfortunately, I cannot find the audio of the radio interview where Manzarek stated that Densmore wasn't joining them because he couldn't play drums anymore, but I'm sure it's out there in the ether somewhere.

Posted by: Happy24 ()
Date: May 29, 2013 09:43

I am shocked, I had no idea he was sick. I saw him with Robby in 2010 and in 2011 and they were both so full of energy that I was sure I would see them again.

R.I.P Ray, you gave us some immortal music. I am happy I had a chance to see you on stage doing what you did best.

RIP Ray Manzarek
Posted by: Hound Dog ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:20

As a big Doors fan was shocked to hear this. A great musician and the glue of the Doors!

Re: RIP Ray Manzarek
Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:22

This is sad news.

RIP
RAY

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:32

Where have you been?
He's been dead for over 2 weeks.
A new compilation only featuring his greatest solos is probably already in stores.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:35

We've been here,
but it is still shocking to hear and sad news.

Date: June 5, 2013 19:46

Max'sKansasCity
We've been here,

Ok. I understand.
I'm still grieving George Jones' death.

Posted by: Rollin' Stoner ()
Date: June 5, 2013 19:48

BowieStone
Max'sKansasCity
We've been here,

Ok. I understand.
i'm still grieving Hank Williams Sr.'s death

Date: June 5, 2013 19:51

Rollin' Stoner
BowieStone
Max'sKansasCity
We've been here,

Ok. I understand.
i'm still grieving Hank Williams Sr.'s death

Stop it! Tears welling up in my eyes.

Goto Page: Previous1234
Current Page: 4 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1974
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home