Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: RIP - Ray Manzarek
Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 04:35

I heard him tell stories and play piano at an Irish pub south of L.A. about six years back. He was very gracious and charming, told great stories about the Doors, and played some great Doors stuff on piano. (Honestly, he could sometimes be a windbag, so I pleased he wasn't that afternoon.) It took awhile for another Door to join Jim. Sorry to hear the news.

Posted by: spsimmons ()
Date: May 21, 2013 04:38

Great contribution from Ray:

Posted by: JuanTCB ()
Date: May 21, 2013 04:51

Aw, man - this really, really, really sucks. I loved Ray. A world-class musician, an innovator, and a total raconteur.

I got really into the Doors over the last few years and grew to love Ray's completely over the top trumpeting of the Morrison/Doors legend. He was so gleefully, shamelessly blatant about it yet he always came off as warm and engaging. He was very rightfully proud of what they accomplished and I loved the fact that he wasn't shy about letting everybody know it.

R.I.P., Raymond Daniel Manzarek.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 21, 2013 05:28

Go to the light Ray. . .. Move to towards the light. . ..

Posted by: daytime ()
Date: May 21, 2013 05:54

My deepest condolenses to his family, a great loss, loved the Doors keep rockin up there Ray and thanks for the memories.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:04

Whisky

ROXY

Posted by: The Sicilian ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:33

That is just terrible news. I am truly saddened. Thanks Ray for the great keyboard riffs and filling my teen years with musical joy.

Here's to hoping the Stones can find a Doors song to play tonight in the Doors hometown of LA.

Posted by: deadegad ()
Date: May 21, 2013 06:50

It is not a hoax! God Bless You Ray! Thanks for the true joy your music brought to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 18:45 by deadegad.

Posted by: ab ()
Date: May 21, 2013 07:14

windmelody
The Doors were one of the greatest bands ever, often they were reduced to their lead singer. So: Deep respct to Ray Manzarek, who was a great part of the Doors' magic.

Indeed. With no bassist in the band, Ray played the bass parts with his left hand and organ parts with his right. He was effectively doing double duty all the time and really held The Doors together onstage.

Posted by: NedKellyBandit ()
Date: May 21, 2013 07:26

So sad.

RIP Ray.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 07:57

a huge loss.the best keyboard player hand down.saw him live 18 months ago,amazing show.a great guy.rip ray.

Posted by: novica ()
Date: May 21, 2013 08:02

sad day.
rip Ray.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 21, 2013 09:35

RIP Ray,

Thanks for the great music ...

video: [www.google.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 09:57 by runaway.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 21, 2013 09:54

Safe journey Ray. Loved his solo albums too particularly The Whole Thing Started With Rock'n'Roll Now It's Out Of Control.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:00

Terrible news, RIP Mr Manzarek.

Posted by: Glammy ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:26

Sad news. His sound was a huge part of the "Sound of the 60s". Great musician.

May he R.I.P.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 21, 2013 11:32

Sad news !! Oh man, really sad news.

Little Red Rooster

Posted by: parislocksmith ()
Date: May 21, 2013 12:18

Sad news. The Doors were intelligent but never cerebral, and Manzarek's cool but sensuous style of playing was perhaps the most important ingredient.

Just one observation. I saw Manzarek and Krieger a few years ago, and was struck (when Manzarek sang one song) by the rawness and fullness of his voice, very similar to Morrison's. It made the ersatz Morrison seem superfluous.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 21, 2013 12:28

Too bad the Stones couldn't have somehow worked Riders on the Storm into the show. I would have put Chuck Leavell and Darryl Jones out there doing an instrumental version. No vocals. They leave then nothing for five minutes. Then The Stones start their show

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:04

Ultimate Classic Rock recently declared The Golden Scarab to be the worst solo album ever to be released by any member of any well-known band.

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:32

RIP

Ray Manzarek & Robby Krieger of The Doors- Paris Bataclan 03-07-2011

Posted by: Wry Cooter ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:12

Ray Manzarek co-created music that brought me countless hours of pleasure, including the non-Jimbo Doors LPs and "The Whole Thing Started with Rock and Roll." I understand the (punch-pulled) "windbag" comments -- he definitely had a bit of the huckster in him. But he struck me as self aware and playing a part to serve a purpose. And he was entertaining. But mostly I see him as the spiritual springboard for the Doors as well as Jim Morrison, From his chance meeting on the beach that became the band, to his carrying of the torch.

But right now hearing the piano in "LA Woman." Yeah.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 19:13 by Wry Cooter.

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 21, 2013 19:57

Great keyboardist- R.I.P.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: Airwavesflow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:06

I had Ray and the band (post Morrison) over to my parents house (they were away) before a gig at CW Post collage in NY Ray was so cool,I lost track of him in the house and found him in the living room reading an art book. He then lit up a small pinwheel joint without asking me which I actually thought was really cool.I always thought I look him up in LA someday and now that will never be.

Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2013 20:14

RIP

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: May 21, 2013 23:30

Was in a used record shop today and saw this CD, a 2-disc spoken word history of himself and the Doors, released in 1996.

Disc: 1
1. Paris: The Mystery
2. UCLA Film School
3. Jim & Ray Form the Doors
4. Born in Chicago
5. I Heard the Blues in the Air
6. Growing Up Rocking
7. You're in the Army Now
8. Soul of the Doors

Disc: 2
1. Beat Poetry Readings
2. Out of the Army
3. Rick & The Ravens @ Aura
4. Doors Acetate Demo
5. Enter Robby Krieger
6. Making the Magic Circle
7. Where's the Bass Player?
8. Doors Are Dropped By Columbia
9. In the Recording Studio
10. Chief of Police in the Studio
11. Dorothy Fujikawa - Artist
12. Jim Morrison's Leather Pants
13. Doors on the Road
14. Why the Music's Still Popular
15. Jim's Still Around
16. Doors in History
17. All Men Are Created Equal
18. UCLA Basketball

Looks interesting. When I go back to the shop next week, I may pick it up if it's still there.

Here's a clip from Myth and Reality, track 1 from disc 1, "Paris: The Mystery"

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 22, 2013 03:41

"Time flies when you're living life so, y'know, it feels...Jeez, I don't know. I don't know what it feels like, but it feels like no more than five years ago. Everything just goes whooshing by. When you're a child in grammar school, it takes forever to get out of class each day. Then once you're an adult, once you pass 40, it really starts to chug, man. What is this -- a runaway locomotive or something? Here I am, 72, holy cow! How did that happen?!"

-Ray Manzarek

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 22, 2013 03:55

They sure kept his cancer silent. Didn't even know he was ill. sad smiley

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:05

From The Los Angeles Times:

Ray Manzarek dies at 74; keyboardist for the Doors
Manzarek, who was influenced by John Coltrane, added a jazz component to the band's rock sound and filled the role of bassist.
The band charted 15 singles on the Billboard Hot 100 starting in 1967.

[www.latimes.com]

By Randy Lewis, Los Angeles Times

May 20, 2013, 8:29 p.m.

When the Doors were still a fledgling quartet, and the band members were honing their chops playing five sets a night at the London Fog club in Hollywood, it wasn't rock stardom on keyboardist Ray Manzarek's mind as he and his three band mates laid down an extended jam for their debut album that ran more than seven minutes.

Manzarek was thinking more of one of his jazz heroes when he cribbed some of John Coltrane's ideas from the saxophonist's recording of "My Favorite Things" for his own solo in the song that would become the Doors' signature hit, and one of the defining singles of the 1960s: "Light My Fire."

"We loved that we were getting Coltrane played on AM radio," Manzarek said years later. "I'm not sure how many people caught that, but I'm sure some did."

Manzarek, who was responsible for the piercing electric organ sound on "Light My Fire" and most of the L.A. group's cornerstone songs, died Monday at a medical clinic in Rosenheim, Germany, after a lengthy battle with bile duct cancer. He was 74.

While studying film at UCLA in 1965, Manzarek (pronounced man-ZAIR-ek) met fellow student Jim Morrison and they decided to start a band built around Morrison's poetry. They enlisted drummer John Densmore, whom Manzarek had met in a transcendental meditation class, and Densmore in turn introduced them to his friend Robby Krieger, a guitarist.

Beginning in 1967, the Doors charted 15 hit singles on the Billboard Hot 100, including "Hello, I Love You," "Touch Me," "Riders on the Storm" and "People Are Strange," up through Morrison's death in 1971 at age 27. All six of the group's studio albums released during Morrison's lifetime made the Top 10 of the national sales chart, the biggest hit being "Waiting For the Sun," which spent four weeks at No. 1 in 1968.

"I was deeply saddened to hear about the passing of my friend and bandmate Ray Manzarek today," Krieger said in a statement. "I'm just glad to have been able to have played Doors songs with him for the last decade. Ray was a huge part of my life, and I will always miss him."

"There was no keyboard player on the planet more appropriate to support Jim Morrison's words," Densmore said through a spokeswoman. "Ray, I felt totally in sync with you musically. It was like we were of one mind, holding down the foundation for Robby and Jim to float on top of. I will miss my musical brother."

Creating a band with a neophyte singer, jazz-inclined keyboardist and drummer and a guitarist steeped in flamenco music wasn't by any stretch a formula for rock 'n' roll success. Manzarek wound up pulling double duty, handling the bass parts by way of a keyboard bass, which he played with his left hand while working the organ accompaniment and solos with his right.

"We actually intended to have a bass player, and auditioned a couple of them," he said in a 2011 interview with the Jerusalem Post. "With the first one, we sounded like the Rolling Stones, and with the second, for some reason, we sounded like Eric Burdon and the Animals. We knew there was no reason to have another band sound like either of them, so we kept looking.

"Then we auditioned at a club in Los Angeles, and I saw the Fender Rhodes keyboard bass onstage, which belonged to another band. And I thought, 'Eureka, that's it. I'll play that,' " he said. "It worked out fine because it's basically the way I play the keyboard anyway, with my left hand playing the bass line. And it kept the Doors as a four-side diamond, rather than an evil pentagram."

After graduating to headlining at the Whiskey A Go-Go, then the hottest rock club in Los Angeles, the Doors released their first single, "Break On Through (to the Other Side)." It got as high as No. 126, in early 1967, but "Light My Fire" shot to No. 1 just two months later, and the Doors were suddenly rock stars.

Manzarek not only supplied the signature opening riff of "Light My Fire," he delivered the otherworldly tacked-piano sound that gives "People Are Strange" much of its eeriness, and the haunting, moody electric piano lines that fuel "L.A. Woman."

Morrison's death shook the three surviving bandmates to the core. They recorded two albums without Morrison — "Other Voices" in 1971 and "Full Circle" the following year — but then called it quits.

Raymond Daniel Manczarek Jr. was born Feb. 12, 1939, in Chicago, and later simplified the spelling of his last name by dropping the "c."

After the Doors wound down, he recorded in the 1970s with his own band, Nite City, and worked up a rock treatment of Carl Orff's choral work "Carmina Burana."

In the 1980s, Manzarek had a strong hand in the emergence of another quintessential Los Angeles band when he produced all four of the original studio albums for the punk quartet X.

What drew him to throw in with the punk movement, which drew much of its energy and audience by rebelling against the classic rockers like the Doors who had preceded them?

"The punks were the next generation after the psychedelic era," he said. "After the stoners came the punks, and it was great. I thought it would be bigger in the U.S. than it was, but it never really caught on like it did in England. The punk scene in California, though, was as exciting as what happened in the '60s."

In 1991, after Oliver Stone's film biography of the group came out, Manzarek was openly critical of his portrait of the band. "Oliver Stone has assassinated Jim Morrison," he said at the time. "The film portrays Jim as a violent, drunken fool. That wasn't Jim."

Manzarek said in interviews that he'd rather that Morrison had lived and that they would still be making music together, even if it meant the singer had to sacrifice the mystique that developed around him because of his death at such a young age.

"If you're going to become a legend — one of the immortals, a god," Manzarek said in 2011, "then you have to die. That's the tragedy."

Manzarek and Krieger resumed touring over the last dozen years, playing Doors music with other singers and drummers — including the Cult's lead singer Ian Asbury, Pearl Jam's Eddie Vedder and the Police's drummer Stewart Copeland — which prompted a lawsuit by Densmore against Manzarek and Krieger to stop them from touring under the Doors' name. Densmore eventually won.

In the course of that proceeding, Manzarek and Krieger countersued Densmore for $40 million, alleging that he had rejected proposals to use the Doors' songs in commercials. Densmore's new book, "The Doors Unhinged: Jim Morrison's Legacy Goes on Trial," details both suits and his staunch opposition to advertising uses of the band's music. Manzarek, the book says, supported such uses as a way to keep that music in front of new generations of listeners. The countersuit was dismissed.

Manzarek also became an author, writing "Light My Fire: My Life with the Doors" in 1998 and "The Poet In Exile" in 2002.

He is survived by his wife, Dorothy; a son, Pablo; three grandchildren and two brothers, Rick and James Manczarek.

[email protected]

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 22, 2013 04:31

DeanGoodman
Sad. I was thinking about him 2 hours ago as I walked past the Doors mural outside Trader Joe's in West Hollywood. Real nice guy, if a tad verbose. We talked on the phone a few times, at length. And in person once at the VH1 Storytellers rehearsal. He never forgave Oliver Stone. And he loved the weed and his wife - not necessarily in that order.

He was very cosmic, and I doubt he was afraid of dying. It's tough for the family and friends, though.

I always thought Robby would go before him.

Sorry, don't know this story about Oliver Stone. What happened? He never forgave him for what?

Thanks.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1830
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home