Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28
Re: Los Angeles May 20 Stones show live updates
Posted by: shortfatfanny ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:49

Sway and CYHMK...thanks for posting.
Amazing and I like it very much.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:49

Thrylan
Erik_Snow
gotdablouse
One of the best Stones' moment ever and the bitching and over-analyzing kicks in almost immediately, sad, sad, sad...

1 out of 10 here doesn't like it and that bothers you? It's a messageboard for crying out loud...not a cheerboard

WOW! Read again. I am happy, it's called "criticism", this is great, but it is a beginning. I am not one who puts too much stock into the affect of messageboards, but again, with the hard turn they made, and the abundance of criticism about setlists, special guests and the lack of MT and MT gems, it does make you wonder. I don't run a sunshine pump here, I am a longtime fan, who is no longer dreading setlists and videos......I think we're onto something and I am HAPPY! But honest, sorry if that offends.

You shouldn't be quoting me, but quoting gotdablous...

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:53

Superb!

C

Posted by: Eleanor Rigby ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:53

DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Ok.. both songs good to hear, great with MT !!
Jagger has finally sorted his vocals out to suit both songs and his vocal limitations.
CYHMK - sloppy as u would expect but a good attempt
SWAY - intro a bit ordinary but Taylor definately shines on this one.
MT lost his way a bit on CYHMK with timing but took control on Sway.
Basically, dont play these 2 songs without MT.. he has burned life into them and the stage... great presence.

What was sloppy on CYHMK?? Sway was sloppy, you mean surely?

Taylor didn't lose anything, he blended in improvised parts, instead of playing the album solo. A good thing, imo.

CYHMK was sloppy.. all guitars were out of time at various stages..but it is a tricky song for ageing rock stars. Taylor's solo is out of time at some stages (sorry just being fussy).
Sway has a horrible intro but MT makes up for that.. he is spot on here with his guitar. Jagger is also better with his vocals.
Both songs will improve alot.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:56

One of the most historic concerts they've given - and that says a lot. Full steam ahead to Philly. My $600 ticket is not looking too bad if I get anything close to this set list. My stars - gonna give BV and fellow board members some credit for this.

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 15:59

If this is what you get with no "special guest" - then please - NO special guests in future shows. Just give us more Mick Taylor!!!The Stones have so much of their own history - they need no contemporary guests to prop them up.

Date: May 21, 2013 15:59

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby
Jagger has finally sorted his vocals out to suit both songs and his vocal limitations.
Basically, dont play these 2 songs without MT.. he has burned life into them and the stage... great presence.

Taylor didn't lose anything, he blended in improvised parts, instead of playing the album solo. A good thing, imo.

CYHMK was sloppy.. all guitars were out of time at various stages..but it is a tricky song for ageing rock stars. Taylor's solo is out of time at some stages (sorry just being fussy).
Sway has a horrible intro but MT makes up for that.. he is spot on here with his guitar. Jagger is also better with his vocals.

The Stones' guitars have always been "out of time". That's partly what makes them great.

If you listen to the best live versions they have done in the past of CYHMK, you'll find that this one was the best - by ALL accounts.

PS: How can an improvised jazz solo be out of time in this case anyway?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-21 16:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:00

Shawn20
If this is what you get with no "special guest" - then please - NO special guests in future shows. Just give us more Mick Taylor!!!The Stones have so much of their own history - they need no contemporary guests to prop them up.

smileys with beerhot smiley
Good One !!!
Jeroen

Posted by: Thrylan ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:03

Erik_Snow
Thrylan
Erik_Snow
gotdablouse
One of the best Stones' moment ever and the bitching and over-analyzing kicks in almost immediately, sad, sad, sad...

1 out of 10 here doesn't like it and that bothers you? It's a messageboard for crying out loud...not a cheerboard

WOW! Read again. I am happy, it's called "criticism", this is great, but it is a beginning. I am not one who puts too much stock into the affect of messageboards, but again, with the hard turn they made, and the abundance of criticism about setlists, special guests and the lack of MT and MT gems, it does make you wonder. I don't run a sunshine pump here, I am a longtime fan, who is no longer dreading setlists and videos......I think we're onto something and I am HAPPY! But honest, sorry if that offends.

You shouldn't be quoting me, but quoting gotdablous...

Apologies......just wanted to make my intent clear, sorting through threads on a phone with fat morning finger! I hope my sentiment is understood. I like reality. I hate the, "they could walk out and piss, and it's the best thing ever crowd", not that that includes anyone here, just making my observations, and 8I am HAPPY!

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:03

Date: May 21, 2013 16:09

Eleanor Rigby
DandelionPowderman
Eleanor Rigby

Careful being honest.......might get you killed on here. winking smiley

I appreciate your honest insight, You are dead on with Sway, MJ is the weak link here, and MT really cooks on the second solo.

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:10

DandelionPowderman

How can you say this as a musician that I respect a lot ?

He lost it, the fluidity, his timing, his sound? And he never ever played the same solo twice anyway ?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:11

Doxa
speechless....eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

gimme some time to carry my thoughts and put them in some sensible order...

holy shit!!!!!!!!!!

- Doxa

I can't wait for your comment Doxa!

I think it's fantastic and the absolute highlight of the tour so far. Frigging amazing. Even Dandy is getting out of his head. winking smiley

Great kudos to Ronny as well. The band is having fun. Look at Mick and Keith. They must be feeling really proud. I wonder what Charlie is feeling during this song, being the jazzman of the band.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:12

I'm actually impressed by that move. I really thought they lacked those type of guts anymore!

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:18

I give a shit about those who still complain ... I´m lucky not to be a musician, just an old fan with bad ears, not able to hear those guys f&$§ing up on stage! Keep on rolling!smileys with beer

Posted by: bonddm ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:20

svt22
DandelionPowderman

He lost it, the fluidity, his timing, his sound? And he never ever played the same solo twice anyway ?
I must be watching a different clip!

Date: May 21, 2013 16:21

bonddm
svt22
DandelionPowderman

I must be watching a different clip!

I think so.

Date: May 21, 2013 16:22

svt22
DandelionPowderman

How can you say this as a musician that I respect a lot ?

Well, I really liked it. And my expectations weren't that high, to be honest. That may have helped.

About the sound, lots of the treble comes from the PA they're using. Keith's guitars, for instance, doesn't sound like they used to either.

This is a song that Taylor has been playing like this for years. Now, he added some of his parts from his solo shows to the Stones track and the original solo.

I liked it, and you should cut him some slack - he's in his 60s, and he won't be playing flawlessly every night. I thought many parts of this solos were great, maybe with the exception of the part where he was lifting some Santana-licks (listen to "Guajira" on Santana III).

All in all I thought this was a great moment in Stones history. Sway wasn't that good in comparison, though, although I liked Mick's singing and the guitar solos.

When he gets his different parts sorted out, and gets used to the groove - when the Stones play this track, he'll get even better, imo.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:24

Keith is stunning with that Tele strapped back on...

Date: May 21, 2013 16:24

kleermaker
Doxa
speechless....eye popping smileyeye popping smileyeye popping smiley

gimme some time to carry my thoughts and put them in some sensible order...

holy shit!!!!!!!!!!

- Doxa

I can't wait for your comment Doxa!

I think it's fantastic and the absolute highlight of the tour so far. Frigging amazing. Even Dandy is getting out of his head. winking smiley

Great kudos to Ronny as well. The band is having fun. Look at Mick and Keith. They must be feeling really proud. I wonder what Charlie is feeling during this song, being the jazzman of the band.

Yes Kleer, the band is having fun, nothing wrong with that.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:25

DandelionPowderman
gotdablouse

I'd go this far and say that this CYHMK is perhaps THE best Stones moment ever.

Ok, I'll give you that ;-) Not sure why this would bring a tear to a grown man's eye but it did...raw emotional power I guess...

Date: May 21, 2013 16:27

grinning smiley

Posted by: cn854 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:28

WOW Mick T sure got his chops back in grand style in LA, well done mate! Highlight show of the tour so far!

Posted by: Mel Belli ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:29

svt22
Touching but very disappointing. No offense intended, but this is really a bridge too far to me. I'm the biggest Taylor era fan here, but I cannot face it anymore. They shouldn't do this.sad smiley

You're freaking nuts, dude.

Posted by: muenke ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:31

Mel Belli
svt22
Touching but very disappointing. No offense intended, but this is really a bridge too far to me. I'm the biggest Taylor era fan here, but I cannot face it anymore. They shouldn't do this.sad smiley

No, he´s a musician, I guess ....confused smiley

Date: May 21, 2013 16:32

muenke
Mel Belli
svt22

So am I.

And the moments where the tunes are a bit "spongy," it's not because of Taylor. He shines on both.

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: May 21, 2013 16:36

Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo. Really hope they continue to play Sway.

Date: May 21, 2013 16:37

Fuman2
Taylor needed another minute and a half to get the Sway going. It was nice but he surely would have brought more golden notes in a three minute solo. Really hope they continue to play Sway.

Oh, yeah; he was just rolling up his sleeves. Still marvelous, I thought.

Date: May 21, 2013 16:39

Mel Belli
muenke
Mel Belli
svt22

So am I.

And the moments where the tunes are a bit "spongy," it's not because of Taylor. He shines on both.

I too am a musician and admittedly it makes it harder to just listen. While there is room for improvement, it's a hell of a good start.

Date: May 21, 2013 16:39

great pic bbj, it makes me smile. wish i was sitting with them

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1011121314151617181920...LastNext
Current Page: 15 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1524
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home