Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3
U2 killed the Stones in Paris - 07/2005
Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 7, 2005 17:21

As an old time fan, I am quite ashamed for Mick and Keith, sad for Charlie to see
U2 selling out 2 Stades de France in Paris ( 160,000 crowd in total) within 3 hours as our Stones could only book one in a week. If they do not promptly react with a great basic rock album, then they better go back to small clubs like the Crawdaddy to relearn Rand R. Maybe it is the solution to this unrespectable issue

Phd

Re: U2 killed the Stones in Paris - 07/2005
Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 7, 2005 17:35

The Stones sold out the Arena in Amsterdam 5 times within a couple of ours.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 7, 2005 17:36

Good lord.. What has happened to those peace-loving prophets??? Kill few innocent grandpapas...

- Doza

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 7, 2005 17:46

I am a U2 fan. I especially like them live. But what i don't get is why they are so hot right now. I thought there previous album was better. But now they're the hottest ticket in town everywhere. I think that's cool and it supposed to be like that but why are they more populair now than in 2001 or 1997?

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 7, 2005 18:24

Because they made an album that was praised in every review available, and they just ARE the biggest band in the world right now, just as the Stones were in 1981 and 1989.

Mathijs

Posted by: mr edward ()
Date: March 7, 2005 18:27

They're gaining more and more credits each album they make as one of the last great touring rock bands. And there's a hit single on each new album, which still keeps them relevant for the younger public.

But I agree: the last 3 albums were a lot better. I especially liked 'Pop' which is an underrated album IMO. Can't stand the Saviour-act Bono puts up these days though...

Edward

Posted by: Edith_Grove ()
Date: March 7, 2005 18:37

I was fully astonished how quick they sold out the 1st Stade de France (3 hrs to sell all the 80.000 tix !!!).

I have seen on u2 forums that in fact only the half of the stadium was sold to fans in shops or internet. The other half is available for Comitee, Tour Operators and others....It is in fact a shame that u2 seems to be more business man than artists...and do not care abour their fans !

Pleaaaaaaaaaaase Mick, Keith Charlie and Ron (the magic 4) do not do the same for next tour !!!

Date: March 7, 2005 18:39

One more thing : it is a strange coincidence but U2 will play in the stade de France 2 years exactly after the stones !! fun winking smiley)

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 7, 2005 18:40

Edith_Grove Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > > I have seen on u2 forums that in fact only the
> half of the stadium was sold to fans in shops or
> internet. The other half is available for Comitee,
> Tour Operators and others....It is in fact a shame
> that u2 seems to be more business man than
> artists...and do not care abour their fans !

yeah, wouldnt it be terrible if the Stones ever did anything like this :rolls eyes

Date: March 7, 2005 19:05

Are u ironic ?

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:18

Give it another 15 years and we'll see how popular U2 will be. The Stones may have saturated the market with their tours since 94, but they are still a huge draw. The Rolling Stones have sold out stadiums in 75, 78, 81, 89, 94, 97, 2002........and considering they took off most of the 1980s......stop it about U2. There is no comparison!

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:24

I'll say this much for U2, that they're nothing if not consistent.

Despite an apology to fans over the ticket fiasco, they went and sold tickets to their second Manchester gig last week in exactly the same way as with the first, being that of allocating the worst seats to the fan club pre-sale, and the decent tickets to the general public.

They're hot right now because sadly, there's nobody else around on that scale.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:34

Edith Grove wrote:

"It is in fact a shame that u2 seems to be more business man than artists...and do not care abour their fans !"
-----------------------------------------------

Well, as much as I love the Stones, I wouldn't call them "The Most Friendly-to-their-Fans Band In The World", neither...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:42

who cares if its sold out
as long as i am there

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:43

Mathijs Wrote:
> Because they made an album that was praised in
> every review available, and they just ARE the
> biggest band in the world right now, just as the
> Stones were in 1981 and 1989.
>
> Mathijs

They indeed are the biggest band in the world right now and rightfully so. But am i the only one who thinks this album is a lot weaker than the previous one?!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:45

all that you cant leave behind is much better

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: March 7, 2005 19:49

Yeah, think so too. I hardly listen to the new album and I liked "all that you can leave..." much better!

Posted by: aprilfool ()
Date: March 7, 2005 20:22

The reason is simple. France is not a country of big rolling stones fans. There were many stones shows in France. OK but France is in the middle of Europe and when you go to a stones show in France, there are many strangers. France is not germany where there are many stones shows.

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 7, 2005 20:44

aprilfool Wrote:
> France is not germany
> where there are many stones shows.

Right. U2 are only playing three shows in Germany.

Posted by: phd ()
Date: March 7, 2005 22:34

Bono will never be Jagger, U2 will never be the Stones. So where is the problem.
Just go back to writing some new rock songs with harsh riffs as they can potentially do. It is just the will. Charlie deserves it. And the Fans too.

Posted by: eric ()
Date: March 7, 2005 22:52

Billboard reports... the U2 tour has already grossed 180 million before a note is stroked and is projected to do more than 300 million. Now, I am not a U2 fan and to me this means nothing however they are in the same category as the Stones for $$$$$$. But they will never be legends on the level as the Stones.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: March 7, 2005 23:03

Consider, that the tickets for the Stones were twice as expensive as the current U2 tickets ...

Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: March 7, 2005 23:06

I don't think this debate is very relevant.

What about Julio Iglesias and Ricky Martin filling huge stadium in South America?

And, yes, what about the 2 millions gathering for the pope?

Date: March 7, 2005 23:06

maybe cuz
at this time in music
more people like U2 than the Rolling Stones

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 7, 2005 23:11

United States Treasury Secretary John Snow says Bono is on the short list of candidates for President of the World Bank.

Not really sure what this has to do with the thread, but......

karl

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 7, 2005 23:25

It is hard to imagine, but U2 has only reached the careeer length that the Stones had around the 81-82 tour. Will they last another 20 years? I cannot imagine it, and yet I see no signs of strife within the group. If they last another twenty years what will be their legacy? At what level can they continue this seeing that really with evry progressive tour they appear to get bigger? I do not want to admit it, and it appears no one else on this board does, BUT if these guys last another twenty years I am afreaid from a historical perspective, they will challenge the importance of the Stones' legacy.

Date: March 7, 2005 23:43

also
U2's lineup has not changed at all since thier formation.
I don't know how they would do losing a member.
They are among the few bands in this business to last this long
with the orginal lineup.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 8, 2005 00:04

As was mentioned earlier, I think the main reason they're doing huge ticket sales is that there's no other major tour going on right now. Also, in North America, they're sticking to arena shows and no stadiums. Good move to put tickets on sale far ahead of time so you can accumulate interest on the money!

Posted by: jostorm ()
Date: March 8, 2005 00:07

yaketyyaketyyak.....what a stupid thread! and who gives a damn?

AND my radio ain't playing any U2 songs but Jumping Jack Flash at this very moment.
So the-here!!!!....

And Bono made it onto a list of 190 people who may be nominated for the Nobel Peace Prize, I read in some serious newspaper the other day. At least I can sleep in peace knowing that Mick is only interested in pennies and pussies...

Excuse me while I puke!

Unlike the rumour of making him President of the Worldbank, which sounds extremely unlikely, I mean, they do employ plenty of clowns, but at least those tend to come from the financial sector and some major "Ivy League" University...

Excuse me while I puke again!

PS: Joker: you forgot @#$%&, Stalin, Mussolini, Mao and Co. They all filled stadiums much larger than any Bono could ever dream of!!!

PPS: Kahoosier: To endanger the Stones' legacy they would first have to produce GOOD MUSIC, but after Joshua Tree everything was the same old pile of shite.

Posted by: terry ()
Date: March 8, 2005 00:16

u2 this and u2 that here a u2 there a u2...its not a compition..its just music..i think u2 are a great band love there early stuff sunday bloody sunday a great song..bono a great singer..but no stage presence...i love there sound..but the stones just have more majic about them..and jagger wipe the floor with bono when it comes to performimg...look at the difference in ticket prices..the stones where charging twice as much for there shows...let see u2 in twenty years..ive all ready noticed there newer stuff is much weaker.and as for bono.. less of saving the world.. your just a singer no more and no less but a great singer..but leave the ego at home.

Goto Page: 123Next
Current Page: 1 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1151
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home