Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Harry Nilsson 17-CD Box Set Coming July 30
Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 16, 2013 18:10

Who Is Harry Nilsson And Why Is Everybody Talking About Him is a great documentary. The title is confusing though. I realize the "Everybody Talking About Him" is a reference to the song but the lyric in said song is "Everybody's talking AT me". Not "about". Perhaps the director misheard the lyric.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 16, 2013 18:16

GumbootCloggeroo
Who Is Harry Nilsson And Why Is Everybody Talking About Him is a great documentary. The title is confusing though. I realize the "Everybody Talking About Him" is a reference to the song but the lyric in said song is "Everybody's talking AT me". Not "about". Perhaps the director misheard the lyric.

anal-retentive much?

Date: May 16, 2013 18:33

GRNRBITW
GumbootCloggeroo

anal-retentive much?
yes, but only with crackers.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 16, 2013 18:33

GumbootCloggeroo
GRNRBITW
GumbootCloggeroo

anal-retentive much?

try them with soup...it can be very filling.

Date: May 16, 2013 18:36

treaclefingers
GumbootCloggeroo
GRNRBITW
GumbootCloggeroo

anal-retentive much?

try them with soup...it can be very filling.
I had a hot dog with Bania earlier. I'm not that hungry.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 23, 2013 02:26

Listen to "Cuddly Toy" demo here:

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

Date: July 23, 2013 02:50

I love Nilsson, but I don't know that I love him a 17 CDs Box set worth.

Date: July 23, 2013 03:12

Pre-order price on Amazon Canada is $84.89. 17 discs. That's roughly $4.99 per disc. Yes, please! By comparison, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! - The Rolling Stones in Concert 40th Anniversary (Deluxe 3CD + DVD Box Set) is going for $52.79 for 4 discs.

Thank you RCA for pricing the box set fairly.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-23 03:13 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: July 23, 2013 03:24

GumbootCloggeroo
Pre-order price on Amazon Canada is $84.89. 17 discs. That's roughly $4.99 per disc. Yes, please! By comparison, Get Yer Ya-Ya's Out! - The Rolling Stones in Concert 40th Anniversary (Deluxe 3CD + DVD Box Set) is going for $52.79 for 4 discs.

Thank you RCA for pricing the box set fairly.

Yeah, I had noticed that as well...quite a good price really.

I don't know if I can get that immersed though.

If you really want some amazing CD deals, it pays to buy on Amazon.co.uk and even pay for the shipping....they rebate you on the VAT and I've never been charged HST or import duties (keep the overall order cost low though, under $100).

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: July 23, 2013 03:34

Who the f would pay for that?

Posted by: Fuman2 ()
Date: July 23, 2013 03:37

Is this the Purple Chick compilation?

I might pay that if the money went to his widow or children, but the record label?

No chance.

Date: July 23, 2013 03:44

jazzbass
what kind of question is that?

Date: July 23, 2013 03:45

jazzbass

a 'f'an might. that's who the 'f'.

PS, you went to some stones shows...what's the most you paid for a ticket?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-23 03:51 by treaclefingers.

Date: July 23, 2013 03:55

Fuman2

I might pay that if the money went to his widow or children, but the record label?

No chance.
Yeah, how dare the evil scum-sucking record corporation exploit Harry Nilsson and his legacy by treating Harry Nilsson fans to a gift by releasing his entire discography (minus 2 albums) with RCA. Those bastards!

Give RCA a call and ask who the money goes to.

Date: July 23, 2013 03:59

GumbootCloggeroo
Fuman2

No chance.
Yeah, how dare the evil scum-sucking record corporation exploit Harry Nilsson and his legacy by treating Harry Nilsson fans to a gift by releasing his entire discography (minus 2 albums) with RCA. Those bastards!

Give RCA a call and ask who the money goes to.

I'm finding the Canadians on this board getting increasingly caustic and sarcastic.

I think we may need StonesTod back to handle that angle, allowing us to get back to being even tempered and good natured.

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: July 23, 2013 05:14

"RCA Records and Tapes! Hahahahahahahahaha!!!"

He sang his balls off!

Re: OT: Harry Nilsson 17-CD Box Set Coming June 30
Posted by: Come On ()
Date: July 23, 2013 08:13

tatters
Heck of a deal, though. 17 CDs for under $150.

[www.amazon.com]

..and just $ 100 in Sweden...a must buy box thumbs up

2 1 2 0

Date: July 24, 2013 02:14

treaclefingers
jazzbass

Too damn much, lol, but you seriously aren't comparing this no name to the Stones are you?

I just can not see the justification in a 17 CD box set for a relatively unknown artist. Even more baffling than a record company producing such a thing, is exactly who would pay real money for it? Sure, he had a brief moment with a few minor hits in the 70's but so did Looking Glass and I don't know anyone who'd buy their 17 CD box set either. I will however spare the 99¢ to download Brandy.

To each his own. Enjoy.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-07-24 02:15 by jazzbass.

Date: July 24, 2013 02:20

jazzbass
treaclefingers
jazzbass

Too damn much, lol, but you seriously aren't comparing this no name to the Stones are you?

I just can not see the justification in a 17 CD box set for a relatively unknown artist. Even more baffling than a record company producing such a thing, is exactly who would pay real money for it? Sure, he had a brief moment with a few minor hits in the 70's but so did Looking Glass and I don't know anyone who'd buy their 17 CD box set either. I will however spare the 99¢ to download Brandy.

To each his own. Enjoy.

Well I wouldn't compare the two either except to say he is fantastic...I also earlier in the thread questioned whether I'd buck up for 17 of his CD's...I just don't think I'd listen to everything.

I don't even have the time to listen to all the stones stuff I buy.

Date: July 24, 2013 04:02

jazzbass
treaclefingers
jazzbass

To each his own. Enjoy.
Who would pay real money for it? Some of his CDs, individually, are pricey. Pussy Cats, alone, is going for a hundred dollars on Amazon. These aren't CDs you can find at the 5 dollar bin at Walmart. Sure, the record label could have reissued them all individually and make us pay out of the ass but they chose to give us a deal and I, for one, appreciate that.

And Harry Nilsson isn't a "relatively unknown artist". Just because you have no idea who or what he was all about doesn't make it so.

Date: July 24, 2013 04:04

treaclefingers
jazzbass
treaclefingers
jazzbass

To each his own. Enjoy.

Well I wouldn't compare the two either except to say he is fantastic...I also earlier in the thread questioned whether I'd buck up for 17 of his CD's...I just don't think I'd listen to everything.

You don't think you'll listen to at least 17 more CDs in your lifetime? Nobody says you have to listen to them all in a row in one sitting smiling smiley It'll probably take me weeks to get through the box set but that's okay.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: July 24, 2013 05:05

I'm surprised by Jazzbass's post. None of us told you how to spend your money on that lavish trip to see the Stones in London. No need to spoil Treacle's obvious pleasure.

Harry N remains a talented and unique artist.

Date: July 24, 2013 05:11

GumbootCloggeroo
treaclefingers
jazzbass
treaclefingers
jazzbass

To each his own. Enjoy.

You don't think you'll listen to at least 17 more CDs in your lifetime? Nobody says you have to listen to them all in a row in one sitting smiling smiley It'll probably take me weeks to get through the box set but that's okay.

yeah, I get what you're saying Gumboot...and I do like Nilsson a lot, but I just don't know if I have the stamina or concentration to do 17 cds.

As an example, I bought all the Elvis boxsets, Lennon, Bowie, Elton John et in the 90s Beatles MONO CD BOX more recently, and still haven't listened to any of them completely. And they're greatest hits generally, I can't imagine getting through entire albums of songs, probably a lot of them weak.

So, I'm not dogging it per se, I'm just saying that based on my past purchases, I'm pretty sure I won't get the most out of this boxset.

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: July 24, 2013 09:34

WOLD my favorite Nilsson tune. Was an announcer for years & these lyrics speak volumes about the profession. smiling smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: July 24, 2013 15:31

owlbynite
WOLD my favorite Nilsson tune. Was an announcer for years & these lyrics speak volumes about the profession. smiling smiley

Huh? If you're thinking of the Harry Chapin song, Harry Chapin wrote that one.

Posted by: rollmops ()
Date: July 24, 2013 16:24

I have tried many times to listen to Harry Nilsson's music to get into it but I just can't. I understand lots of people like his music and I don't really understand why.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Date: July 24, 2013 17:26

rollmops
I have tried many times to listen to Harry Nilsson's music to get into it but I just can't. I understand lots of people like his music and I don't really understand why.
Rock and roll,
Mops

Well, no one can say you didn't try.

Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: July 24, 2013 18:13

tatters
owlbynite

Huh? If you're thinking of the Harry Chapin song, Harry Chapin wrote that one.

He's just wild about Harry.

Any Harry.

Date: July 24, 2013 22:44

stonesrule
I'm surprised by Jazzbass's post. None of us told you how to spend your money on that lavish trip to see the Stones in London. No need to spoil Treacle's obvious pleasure.

Please do not misunderstand me. I'm not telling anyone how to spend their dough. I'm just asking the question who would buy the thing? (This was probably a rhetorical question but doesn't translate as such in print). It's seems from his reply not even Mr. Fingers would.

Date: July 24, 2013 23:00

jazzbass
stonesrule

Please do not misunderstand me. I'm not telling anyone how to spend their dough. I'm just asking the question who would buy the thing? (This was probably a rhetorical question but doesn't translate as such in print). It's seems from his reply not even Mr. Fingers would.

to quote Sidney Poitier, "THEY CALL ME MR. FINGERS!"

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1937
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home