Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7
Re: The Thrill is gone?
Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2013 16:05

Erik_Snow
DandelionPowderman
Erik and Doxa, is GS really worse than HTW nowadays?

IMO, HTW sounds tired (they should try a new version or skip it?).

Yes it does, and so does Brown Sugar. But at least they aren't as blasphemic as recent GS and SFTD live versions

"blasphemic" - that's a good one! (and I agree with the difference).

I think I have been deaf for "Honky Tonk Women" for so long that I can't remember. It has been the same, the same for ages. "Gimme Shelter" at least somehow made a renessaince in 1995, and that Amsterdam club version might be the highlight of any Vegas readings of any song ever. But then it degenerated, and the lowest moment being the "Chuck-version" Dandie mentioned. Now it is a bit better, but I think the song has really escaped from their reach.

I think over-all with war horses like "Honky Tonk", "Flash", "Sugar" and "Tumblin' Dice" is that they are rather one-dimensional, autopilot songs for them - they don't "think" how to play them - and the difference or variance mostly comes from the energy of the day. With songs like "Gimme Shelter" they seem to have more options.

- Doxa

Posted by: steini ()
Date: May 14, 2013 16:08

My theory is:
IF the thrill is gone, then why would you be here ?

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 14, 2013 16:12

steini
My theory is:

I was told there would be pie.

Date: May 14, 2013 16:19

DandelionPowderman
dcba
RE : [www.la.com]

"The biggest problem was the guitar. Wood and Richards couldn't conjure much magic on any of the songs, even the ones -- like "Brown Sugar" and "Sympathy for the Devil" -- known for juicy leads. Wood managed a handful of above-average solos, especially on the nice version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in the encore, but Richards was basically a nonfactor.

And all the Jagger dancing and prancing in the world can't help the Stones if the guitars aren't clicking."

You can't say the guy's entirely wrong...

and :

"Even the much anticipated return of guitarist Mick Taylor, who was a member of the Stones from 1969 to 1974, didn't help matters much. He appeared in the main set for just one song -- a boorish take on the overrated "Midnight Rambler" - and then was gone"

Wait a minute : this guy's a IORR regular! >grinning smiley<

The sound is guitar heavy as hell - more so than on previous tour, because they are playing with a smaller band.

But I take it as this reviewer is talking about guitar solos only?

Aside from Blondie not being there the band is exactly the same as it's been for the last few tours, there are still more sidemen than Stones onstage.

Date: May 14, 2013 16:36

andrewt
DandelionPowderman
dcba
RE : [www.la.com]

"The biggest problem was the guitar. Wood and Richards couldn't conjure much magic on any of the songs, even the ones -- like "Brown Sugar" and "Sympathy for the Devil" -- known for juicy leads. Wood managed a handful of above-average solos, especially on the nice version of "You Can't Always Get What You Want" in the encore, but Richards was basically a nonfactor.

And all the Jagger dancing and prancing in the world can't help the Stones if the guitars aren't clicking."

You can't say the guy's entirely wrong...

and :

"Even the much anticipated return of guitarist Mick Taylor, who was a member of the Stones from 1969 to 1974, didn't help matters much. He appeared in the main set for just one song -- a boorish take on the overrated "Midnight Rambler" - and then was gone"

Wait a minute : this guy's a IORR regular! >grinning smiley<

The sound is guitar heavy as hell - more so than on previous tour, because they are playing with a smaller band.

But I take it as this reviewer is talking about guitar solos only?

Aside from Blondie not being there the band is exactly the same as it's been for the last few tours, there are still more sidemen than Stones onstage.

Is Kent Smith, Michael Davis and Matt Clifford (I know he played french horn on one gig this tour!) back? They weren't in London last year. If so, my bad!

Posted by: bv ()
Date: May 14, 2013 16:39

Some do not have any interest in sex as they get older, others do not have interest in changes, some do not have internet or smartphones, and some do not like the Stones anymore. Things change with age. But still there are lots of people who do have sex, smartphones and enjoy the Stones in 2013!

People who post numerous threads about high ticket prices, dislike of the Stones, dislike of set list or any other grumpy posts are simply ... GRUMPY! Time to move on. Please do not expect anyone else to be equally grumpy!

Bjornulf

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 14, 2013 16:54

bv
Some do not have any interest in sex as they get older, others do not have interest in changes, some do not have internet or smartphones, and some do not like the Stones anymore. Things change with age. But still there are lots of people who do have sex, smartphones and enjoy the Stones in 2013!

People who post numerous threads about high ticket prices, dislike of the Stones, dislike of set list or any other grumpy posts are simply ... GRUMPY! Time to move on. Please do not expect anyone else to be equally grumpy!

Some people develope wilder and wilder sexual fantasies and live up to them as they get older, they try out weird kinky rituals and reach the gates of sweetest madness and ecstasy. They loose controll and love it. Some go to heaven and others to hell. Schnell schnell!

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: May 14, 2013 16:54

bv

Well said!!..........1++++++++++++++

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 14, 2013 17:06

how did smartphones get into the convo?

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 14, 2013 17:31

Doxa
Bliss
Well, Doxa, perhaps you don't realise it, but you are indeed coming across as a big black raincloud. Go over the list of your recent posts. Someone else above commented that you seem tired of the Stones, so it isn't just me. Maybe you just need to pull your horns in and realise that your negative pronouncements are reaching a wide audience, and really serve no purpose. There is no time machine back to 1972; not for you or for them. If you have anything constructive to suggest to the Stones (since we have learned that they lurk here), such as set list suggestions or a request that Mick Taylor be given a larger role, by all means, post it. But endlessly enlarging on your personal feelings of disappointment serves no purpose here at all.

As we all know, if this isn't the last time around for the Stones, the end is coming soon. What you see is what you get, including repetitive set lists, punitive ticket prices, and the very real limitations of their late 60s-early 70s age group. Endless complaining and a lack of gratitude achieves nothing.

You seemingly have only read my posts in this thread lately. And the premise of this thread is if the thrill is gone. And I put my two cents to it, because I think Stoneage's question pretty much clicked with my sentiments. And I'm not short on words, if I get started...grinning smiley

But what - being "constructive"? Shit, I think all I have done here lately than praying the gospel of having more Taylor. There is a long thread of that to created for that purpose (even with a sticky status for some time). I have even confessed myself as a "Taylorite" for that purpose.

"Lack of gratitude?" I think I'm even with the Stones - I have given them all my money, and they some fantastic artistic experiences. Sounds a fair deal.

So I should censor myself if Jagger might be lurking here? "Oh no Mick, you are better than in 1972, look even younger!", "Oh no, the ticket prices are alright. We can pay anything to see you!"... Hell, not! I don't have any "purpose" to strenghten his self-esteem, or to take care if his ego is not hurt. All I say comes from one critical fan's heart, and that will do now and forever - no matter consequences. What you are suggesting sounds really ugly business for me. A brown nose thing.

Some terminology clarifications - on the logic of "complaining" - the term that is used terribly loosely here in trying to bash other fans.

I can complain that Taylor is not used enough, or that the ticket prices are insane, but I do not complain how they sound like. That's judging, criticism - judgments concerning the quality of art. Seemingly that's seem to be a way too difficult distinction to make for many of the 'cheerleader' section. The biggest "whiners" - another 'let's bash people who don't think alike' word - do derive from the "cheerleader section". And I complain of that!>grinning smiley<

But it is nice to see that there are some fellow fans doing this kind of police action, and trying to silence the non-cheerleader section of fans. More 'yes-men' to please Jagger & co...

Shit, I hate these instruction messages - to dictate how to write or how to be a fan - among the contributors. For me the only authority is BV here, and it is up to him decide what is allowed and what is not. Freedom!

- Doxa

Though I do not always agree with you I always enjoy your posts. They come straight from the heart and are intelligent and witty as well.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 14, 2013 17:54

kleermaker
Doxa
Bliss
Well, Doxa, perhaps you don't realise it, but you are indeed coming across as a big black raincloud. Go over the list of your recent posts. Someone else above commented that you seem tired of the Stones, so it isn't just me. Maybe you just need to pull your horns in and realise that your negative pronouncements are reaching a wide audience, and really serve no purpose. There is no time machine back to 1972; not for you or for them. If you have anything constructive to suggest to the Stones (since we have learned that they lurk here), such as set list suggestions or a request that Mick Taylor be given a larger role, by all means, post it. But endlessly enlarging on your personal feelings of disappointment serves no purpose here at all.

As we all know, if this isn't the last time around for the Stones, the end is coming soon. What you see is what you get, including repetitive set lists, punitive ticket prices, and the very real limitations of their late 60s-early 70s age group. Endless complaining and a lack of gratitude achieves nothing.

You seemingly have only read my posts in this thread lately. And the premise of this thread is if the thrill is gone. And I put my two cents to it, because I think Stoneage's question pretty much clicked with my sentiments. And I'm not short on words, if I get started...grinning smiley

But what - being "constructive"? Shit, I think all I have done here lately than praying the gospel of having more Taylor. There is a long thread of that to created for that purpose (even with a sticky status for some time). I have even confessed myself as a "Taylorite" for that purpose.

"Lack of gratitude?" I think I'm even with the Stones - I have given them all my money, and they some fantastic artistic experiences. Sounds a fair deal.

So I should censor myself if Jagger might be lurking here? "Oh no Mick, you are better than in 1972, look even younger!", "Oh no, the ticket prices are alright. We can pay anything to see you!"... Hell, not! I don't have any "purpose" to strenghten his self-esteem, or to take care if his ego is not hurt. All I say comes from one critical fan's heart, and that will do now and forever - no matter consequences. What you are suggesting sounds really ugly business for me. A brown nose thing.

Some terminology clarifications - on the logic of "complaining" - the term that is used terribly loosely here in trying to bash other fans.

I can complain that Taylor is not used enough, or that the ticket prices are insane, but I do not complain how they sound like. That's judging, criticism - judgments concerning the quality of art. Seemingly that's seem to be a way too difficult distinction to make for many of the 'cheerleader' section. The biggest "whiners" - another 'let's bash people who don't think alike' word - do derive from the "cheerleader section". And I complain of that!>grinning smiley<

But it is nice to see that there are some fellow fans doing this kind of police action, and trying to silence the non-cheerleader section of fans. More 'yes-men' to please Jagger & co...

Shit, I hate these instruction messages - to dictate how to write or how to be a fan - among the contributors. For me the only authority is BV here, and it is up to him decide what is allowed and what is not. Freedom!

- Doxa

Though I do not always agree with you I always enjoy your posts. They come straight from the heart and are intelligent and witty as well.

Me too, I think we should let Doxa be Doxa. You lose me sometimes Doxa, truthfully I can get lost in your many words, but I can forgive most anything if it's done with style. cool smiley

Date: May 14, 2013 17:59

latebloomer
kleermaker
Doxa
Bliss

- Doxa

Me too, I think we should let Doxa be Doxa. You lose me sometimes Doxa, truthfully I can get lost in your many words, but I can forgive most anything if it's done with style. cool smiley

when you don't have an hour to read one of his posts, just read the first two sentences and the last two....the rest is just filler.....

Date: May 14, 2013 18:03

GRNRBITW
latebloomer
kleermaker
Doxa
Bliss

- Doxa

when you don't have an hour to read one of his posts, just read the first two sentences and the last two....the rest is just filler.....

Kinda like a Stones show these days.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 14, 2013 18:13

kleermaker

Thanks, Kleerie. It is, of course, nice to hear some people to agree with me sometimes, but that's not the point but to have interesting discussions going on. To share thoughts. Shit, I hate consensus in art! Different opinions and perspectives always keep us going on, and help to find new insights, to rethink our own stance.

But, seeing the post by our moderator above, I suppose I need to learn some more diplomatic skills, and hold my horses. And I understand that since the tour is going on and all that hype and stuff, it is not the best time to take a critical view on what's going on in the stage... I guess it is a party time - let's reflect later.

- Doxa

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 14, 2013 19:05

"guitar heavy sound"???

I watched the You Tube of Vegas (I know, crappy sound) and repeatedly asked myself where are the @#$%& guitars. After GS, I played the version from LA Friday. There is a guitar heavy sound.

I know it's unrealistic to expect them to play like that now. But it's not fun for me listening to these songs, listening to Keith and Woody play the barest outlines of what they used to play and have to fill in, mentally, what they should be playing, what they used to play. Is it just me? I watched keith walk around the ring during Sympathy and thought he didn't play one lick that I couldn't play, and I can barely play.

Date: May 14, 2013 19:12

Rokyfan
I know it's unrealistic to expect them to play like that now. But it's not fun for me listening to these songs, listening to Keith and Woody play the barest outlines of what they used to play and have to fill in, mentally, what they should be playing, what they used to play. Is it just me?

that's right. you're missing the obvious point that the stones are allowing you, the listener, to make the song anything you want it to be. none of this cramming down your ears what THEY think the song should sound like anymore. Now, you, the listener, get to participate as a full member of the band and fill in whatever you want to hear.

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: May 14, 2013 20:01

>>>
People who post numerous threads about high ticket prices, dislike of the Stones, dislike of set list or any other grumpy posts are simply ... GRUMPY! Time to move on. Please do not expect anyone else to be equally grumpy!<<<<

Very well said. The Rolling @#$%& Stones are STILL the World's Greatest Rock and Roll band.

Dig it.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:00

andrewt
steini
My theory is:

I was told there would be pie.

No food posts allowed!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:09

...... maybe the problem is many here still long for the old days of sex...carrier pigeons and Shakespeare

ROCKMAN

Posted by: BILLPERKS ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:16

THE THRILL IS GONE.
BUT FOR ONE NIGHT ,JUNE18TH,THE THRILL WILL BE BACK.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 14, 2013 22:54

The thrill is still not gone, it is still here

Date: May 14, 2013 22:55

...and the DJIA is at an all time record high level 15,210.31

Date: May 14, 2013 23:05

GRNRBITW
Rokyfan
I know it's unrealistic to expect them to play like that now. But it's not fun for me listening to these songs, listening to Keith and Woody play the barest outlines of what they used to play and have to fill in, mentally, what they should be playing, what they used to play. Is it just me?

that's right. you're missing the obvious point that the stones are allowing you, the listener, to make the song anything you want it to be. none of this cramming down your ears what THEY think the song should sound like anymore. Now, you, the listener, get to participate as a full member of the band and fill in whatever you want to hear.

That explains so much!

It's also amazing how they managed to have Katy Perry rehearsed and on hand for the song the just so happened to win the online poll, as if by magic.

Date: May 15, 2013 00:36

The thrill is here right now smiling smiley

And, no, it is NOT blasphemy that I enjoy the 2013 version of Gimme Shelter grinning smiley

Date: May 15, 2013 01:25

bv

But enough about Jumpinjackolantern...

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:27

You can relax, Dandelion. Blasphemy or not - We won't inform the inquisition!

Date: May 15, 2013 01:30

andrewt
GRNRBITW
Rokyfan

That explains so much!

It's also amazing how they managed to have Katy Perry rehearsed and on hand for the song the just so happened to win the online poll, as if by magic.

not so amazing. they keep a whole cadre of bimbos backstage JUST IN CASE their number is called. contingency planning is this tour's middle name...

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 15, 2013 02:16

andrewt

So she wasn't ready to sing Sway?? I am SHOCKED! eye popping smiley eye popping smiley eye popping smiley

Date: May 15, 2013 03:03

The thrill is still not gone, it is still here

AND HERE

and here

AND HERE TOO!!!

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:10

totally agree with thestones,the downer for me is no new music(album)for 8 years,and 8 before that.and the predectibility of the set list.dont get me wrong,they were awesome in newark,saw both shows.jagger is incredible,the band played great.but the lack of the bands creativity and the ticket prices,especially for the 5 shows in dec,left a bad taste in my mouth.(and i have seen them,30 times since 78)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 03:12 by backstreetboy1.

Goto Page: Previous1234567Next
Current Page: 6 of 7

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1433
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home