Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Ronnie Wood - London Pre-show get together ?
Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 2, 2005 02:13

I'm looking for some feedback on where we could meet up prior to the Drury Lane show on Sunday 13th March

Kim from Denmark sent me this link:

[www.coventgarden.uk.com]

Any ideas would be welcome. Personally I like the idea of this "Nell of Old Drury" as it happens to be across the street from the venue, has a function room for free upstairs (I could check availability of course) and serves food as well

more on the pub here :

[www.fancyapint.com]

I'm not looking to organise anything too formal due to the fact most people are only in town for the night of the concert and the relatively short notice of this gig, but it would be nice to get somewhere where the folks from Rocks Off, IORR, Shidoobee etc can get together and hang out before the show

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-02 03:54 by Gazza.

Re: Ronnie Wood - London Pre-show get together ?
Date: March 2, 2005 10:15

Great idea !!!!!

The "fancypint.com"-link doesn't work for me. Maybe this helps :
www.fancyapint.com/main_site/thepubs/pub546.htm

And here's another few links for that pub :

[www.virtual-london.com]

[www.beerintheevening.com]

For those of you who needs drinks after the concert try this link :
[www.fluidfoundation.com]
Search for "late license". Most of the pubs don't have late license on Sundays however.....
There's ( a dubious ) one in Brixton called "Dogstar" - see thedogstar.com
( There must be better links out there )

For those of you going back very early from Stansted : Check train-times on Stansted Express-site. Doesn't look too good. And taxis are extremely expensive....

Hope some of this helps.

Date: March 2, 2005 10:18

Sorry ! Wrong info regarding Stansted: There are night coaches from Liverpool St. to Stansted. So don't worry !!!

Posted by: KeithRichards ()
Date: March 2, 2005 13:14

About going back to Stansted: There are night coaches from Victoria Station and from Liverpool Station every 30 minutes or so - so getting back is not a problem!

By the way, I just remembered that I've been at the venue in Drury Lane before, I saw the musical "Everything Goes" there - the venue is very nice, and there is indeed a pub just opposite the theatre. Would be cool to meet there!

Also for those of you who didn't book an accomodation - I went out in this area around Leicester Square/Covent Garden quite often and I remember plenty of bars around, just don't know if they are open on a Sunday night.
I'll check that out, I know some people that are studying in London.

This one is open until 2am on Sunday nights (5 Pounds admission)
[www.rockgarden.co.uk]

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-02 13:32 by KeithRichards.

Date: March 2, 2005 14:44

Brixton is nowhere near the venue -

I've been advised that that pub I suggested is only open Monday to saturday, so that doesnt seem to suit.

There are quite a few others in that vicinity - any suggestions would be welcome.

I think the idea of going somewhere where theyre charging you £5 to get in isnt going to attract many people (Unless some folks wanted to go there AFTERWARDS), but during the daytime and early evening, there are plenty of pubs that serve food where you can just go in for free as normal!

Date: March 2, 2005 14:59

...posted it twice.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-02 15:01 by KeithRichards.

Date: March 2, 2005 14:59

The link I posted in my post above was ment for the people who want to go out after the show.

About the pre-show meeting - we could also meet just in front of the Theatre Royale and we just go to the nearest pub?

Date: March 2, 2005 15:15

considering most people will be arriving at various times and most of dont know each other to see, its a bit half arsed and unrealistic to expect that to work. Plus that pub I mentioned above seems to be the nearest one anyway (although it may not be open). Much better to have a designated meeting place where people can arrive at whatever time suits them and not have to worry about whether they can get in or not if if theyve gone to the right place

Date: March 2, 2005 15:34

Gazza, you could hold a sign saying "pre-show meeting IORR, Rocks Off, Shidoobee".
But I get your point of course...
There is a website where you can search for all the pubs near a certain location, there are 46 pubs round Covent Garden, I guess we just have to agree on one of these then. Here's a direct link [www.beerintheevening.com]

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: March 2, 2005 17:30

What about the lamb and flag? Highest ranking???!!!

Date: March 2, 2005 19:02

How about Lowlander ? Great variety of beers. See www.lowlander.com and [www.coventgardenlife.com]

But The Lamb and Flag does really look nice as well !!!! I'm not sure about the beer quality however.....

Date: March 2, 2005 19:07

yes..I was trying to remember lowlander but didnt have access to my home e-mail. winking smiley All of these look fine to me

Date: March 2, 2005 19:20

Let's vote next week smiling smiley - Thursday evening !!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 2, 2005 20:26

I will meet you all anywhere you want.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: March 2, 2005 21:15

I'm not going to the gig, but anyway thanks for the [www.fancyapint.com] link, mates. It will be useful the next time I go to London winking smiley

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 2, 2005 23:16

You guys wouldn't need to soak yourself in lager beforehand if you were going to see Mick Taylor!! :---)

Thanks also for the web site, a great reference.

Oh, and enjoy the show!!

karl

Date: March 3, 2005 03:59

we did!

Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 3, 2005 07:06

Gazza,

If this isn't too far from The Royal, but a lot of theatre goers go here attending The Lyceum, prior to a performance at Drury Lane. You could also take the tube to the show. The key here is that it's opened on Sunday.

From [www.beerguide.co.uk]

This one is opened on Sunday.

Sunday 12-8 pm.

Hogs' Head
23 Wellington Street
WC2E 7DA
(0207) 836 6930.
This is another small corner boozer to be found in London. Situated below Covent Garden it has two floors and two bars, one on each. The main bar downstairs has a narrow entrance which is not good for wheelchairs, though there is a side entrance you 'might' be able to use. The bar is the usual wooden floored with dark wood bar, no overhang this time. Seating down here is all stools up against the walls where there is a window sill ledge for your pint. There a couple of tower tables for high stools. Upstairs (very narrow and not to be negotiated after a few pints) the room has more traditional seating of dark wood tables and chairs. There are toilets up here, but it is unisex! The beers on at the time seemed plenty but most were off and on a Saturday! The bar staff were reminded to turn the pump clips round if a beer was not on and they had never heard of this before. In any case the only decent beer on was the Bateman's Rosey nosey and there was need to ask for a top up (people in London never fill a glass correctly it seems). When busy this place can get very cramped. Food is served both lunch and evening and comes from the same menu as the other Hogshead houses. Getting there it's between Covent Garden and Temple tube stops and Charring Cross station is slightly further away. Not far from Drury Lane and just a short hop from the Lyceum theatre, it gets the pre-theatre crowd. No accommodation here
------------------------------------------------------------------------------

OR-

Sunday????

The Sun
21 Drury Lane
WC2B 5RH
(0207) 240 2489.
This used to be a typical Hogshead but has reverted back to its orignial name. It still retains the the traditional Hogshead interior, all wood floors and dark wood bar with overhang. A small but friendly corner pub (you are likely to find lively conversations going on) right at the Holborn end of Drury Lane (opposite Cats) sort of in a triangle between Covent Garden/Holborn/Tottenham Court Road tube stops. The guest ales on has dropped to two, but the quality is still good. The Sun has recently started to do food, so call to check what times. Access for the disabled is possible, but the bar area is small and difficult to negotiate in a wheelchair. Toilets are also upstairs.

Nearest Accommodation:
See Prince of Wales.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
OR,

I don't know if these two are opened on Sunday. Telephone them.

Chez Guerard

In Covent Garden, on the Opera Terrace of the Flower Buildings, Chez Guerard offers small entree or snack service in the café bar and a full menu in the dining area, both of which look down on the bustling shopping scene below, just a few steps from the Royal Opera, Theatre Royal Drury Lane and the Theatre Museum. Reservations: 020 7379-0666.

and,

Ristorante Aurora,

A small, busy and cheerful Italian restaurant at 1-3 Catherine Street, goes beyond Italian food with its excellent trout in three configurations (£7.90); its creme caramel dessert is creamy and delicious. SSFP (Save Space for Profiteroles). Early in December 2002, two of us enjoyed that day's special, Dover sole deep fried in breadcrumbs with two vegetables, a bottle if good Chardonnay, dessert, and coffe, for about £60. Earlier that day, we had lunched there only to discover that the minestrone soup was less than wonderful, giving the lie to the maxim about Italian restaurants: By their minestrone shall you known them. Reservations essential after 5:30 p.m.: 020 7836-7585. Nearby theatres (as with the next entry): Theatre Royal Drury Lane, Strand, Lyceum, Duchess, Savoy.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-03 13:08 by Demon.

Date: March 3, 2005 11:44

many thanks. I'll check on those when I get some time later!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1377
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home