Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Axl Rose
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2005 20:32

After reading the Velvet Revolver post, Axl came to mind. What's everyone opinion on him. Mine- A waste of obvious talent. Is it due to drugs, ego, insanity, or some other cause?

Re: Axl Rose
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: March 1, 2005 20:48

axl @#$%& us-fans..that my opinion..

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 1, 2005 20:53

i think he wasted himself during g'n r's heyday cuz he sure has been acting wack since then...when he was supposed to tour a couple of years ago he blew off the opening gigs cuz his psychic adviser told him to (from what i heard)...when the promotion company heard this they just cancelled the whole thing rather than face tour-long problems based on if he would show that particular night or not...
he was never my cup of tea but then not much is...i heard he was the one who wanted to do "salt of the earth" with the boys and if that's true then i'm indebted to him cuz it got them to hasve to learn it again...maybe he can start a band with syd barret and danny kirwan

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: March 1, 2005 21:14

He knows how to dress.........

Date: March 1, 2005 21:29

The singers with annoying voices and provocative stance tend to have something extra, and that sure is the case with Axl (like it or not...). Let's hope he learns to use his abilities the right way next time around!

Posted by: MCDDTLC ()
Date: March 1, 2005 21:50

Rovalle - Nice to see someone other than myself that can relate to S. Barret
and D. Kirwan. I saw Danny with Fleetwood Mac back in the day when F. Mac toured,
he impressed me!! too bad to see talent wasted like that!!

Axl is an Ass!! way too full of himself - go Slash!!!! he the one in the
band who impress me the most when they "hit'...

and Slash's favorite guitarist is: Mick Taylor
the man know's his stuff!!

MLC

Date: March 1, 2005 22:16

Let's don't forget Ronnie Wood playing on Izzy's 1st CD.

Posted by: R ()
Date: March 1, 2005 22:40

" Let's don't forget Ronnie Wood playing on Izzy's 1st CD. "

I saw Izzy promote that album in a club. That guy from the Georgia Satellites played guitar and I think Matt Sorum from G'N'R played drums. They played "Jivin' Sister Fanny."

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 1, 2005 23:53

R Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> " Let's don't forget Ronnie Wood playing on Izzy's
> 1st CD. "
>
> I saw Izzy promote that album in a club. That guy
> from the Georgia Satellites played guitar and I
> think Matt Sorum from G'N'R played drums. They
> played "Jivin' Sister Fanny."

Izzy Stradlin and the Ju-Ju Hounds. I have that CD--some great stuff on there. The track with Ronnie is "Take A Look at the Guy", which originally was on "I've Got My Own Album to Do".

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 2, 2005 00:33

Axel has screwed up really bad,
took down G+R and made an @#$%&
of himself. I never thought much of
his singing in the first place,
preferred Slash and his guitar.

Date: March 2, 2005 20:32

Izzy and the Satellites guy (I can't think of his name) were at Ronnie's Atlanta show at the Roxy on the Slide on This tour. We spoke to them in the bar as they were having a drink before the show. I agree that Izzy's CD is excellent.

Date: March 3, 2005 13:05

The Stallites guy is Rick Richards - great guitar player.

BTW, Izzy's second album "117 degrees" is also great.

Date: March 3, 2005 13:41

I liked Slashes Snake Pit.

Posted by: billwebster ()
Date: March 3, 2005 15:58

Well, it looks like he's a bit mad, but he's got a great voice, which he hopefully still has. Let's hope that this psychic adviser is no "assassin shrink", like the one that Brian Wilson had for a long time.

Date: March 3, 2005 20:16

DP, I agree - the Satellites are/were a great bar band. I used to see them in Atlanta in the early 80's (Harvest Moon Saloon, etc.) and they played a lot of Chuck Berry and Stones covers like Don't Lie To Me, It's All Over Now, etc..

Posted by: SatanicFlowers ()
Date: March 3, 2005 20:23

G'nR - A CLASSIC case of
Don't Know What You Got, Till it's gone!

Bought the CD "Appetite for Destruction"
the day it was released and KNEW that
this band had the best shot at becoming
an all time MONSTER. Just a cry'n shame
that now we'll never know.

Slash was/is the heart of GNR and a classy cat!
F&%*&%&*% AXL!

- Thru our past darkly...

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 3, 2005 20:44

Anybody notice Keith's gesture as Axl did his "christ pose" after Salt of the Earth? Seems to be trying to say "Get him the f. off the stage..."

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 4, 2005 01:25

SatanicFlowers Wrote:

>
> Slash was/is the heart of GNR and a classy cat!
> F&%*&%&*% AXL!
>
>

Izzy was the heart of Guns N' Roses...

Date: March 4, 2005 03:36

G'N'R is another classic case of a band that couldn't survive its own success. They came from the pack of LA wannabees and made the big time--too bad they couldn't handle it.

Date: March 4, 2005 03:48

Axel Rose, quite plain and simple
is a drunken drug adled buffoon
who burnt himself out.
Good riddance!

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: March 4, 2005 09:27

Guns & Roses had such great potential. Appetite is one of the best albums ever made, the right place, the right time.....it dragged the 80's out of the cookie cutter hairbands and sliced thru all the pop shit.

From what I have read they all went a bit excessive initially, even to the point that Keith Richards, of all people, told them to slow down.

By Illusion the band was ready to go but Axl was a mess. He has psychiatric problems which were just inflated by the drugs, fame, and ego. Illusions was taking forever because Axl kept re-recording his vocals (getting into Brian Wilson insanity at that point) for months, finally it was released.

Such a shame, Guns & Roses along with The Replacements were my bands after the Stones. The Replacements were always on the verge of self destruction from day one but hung in there for a number of albums over 12 years. Axl wrecked GNR.

He pulled the same crap withe the so-called "new" GNR with that @#$%& Buckethead. Ironically, one of the former Replacements was in the band. Axl worked on his vocals for 18 months....everything else was done. I dont even know if the album was ever released. The tour started and lasted all of a week I think......with horrible reviews, then Axl got sick or some crap.

He wrecked GNR, a band that could have gone the distance and made some fantastic music.

Ironically, as I right this I am listening to AOL Radio Stones channel and they just started playing GNR's cover of Sympathy for The Devil (and it still sucks). I think they sampled the Stones original "Woo-Woo's"

Milo, NYC
Whats puzzlin' you

Milo, NYC

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 4, 2005 11:30

GnR in 1987 was the perfect combination of sex, drugs and violence, something that happens rarely (Sex Pistols in 1977, Stones in 1972, what more? Doors maybe?). Of all the wannabees in the mid-80's there was one band that wasn't acting, but they meant it. And, very important, they were all great musicians and great song writers. The 1988 Ritz concerts remains one of my favourite gigs ever. Axl Rose is the sexiest man on earth with his six-pack and leather pants, but at the same time he's the most scariest, agressive psycho. A combination you rarely see. Use Your Illusion 1 and 2 remain on my top 5 list of albums of all time. Yes the production might sound dated now, but the lyrics, songs and guitarwork of Slash remain classic forever. Slash was 25 when he wrote and played the solo's on UYI 1 and 2, which is unbelievable.

Of course it had to blow up. Give 5 man from the street 500 million dollars and all the drugs and booze they want, and of course it explodes. It would happen to anyone. If the Stones didn't get busted and severely threatened in their existance by the law in 1967, it would have exploded for them too.

Mathijs

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: March 4, 2005 13:40

All great musicians and great song writers. I doubt it.

Duff isn't a great bassplayer, although the bassline in sweet child o'mine is classic.
Slash is a great leadguitarists, but I doubt his writing skills.
Axl isn't a great singer, but he can write great songs.
Izzy is the man. Brilliant rhythm guitarist and excellent songwriter. The heart & soul of the band.
I'm one of the few preferring Matt. Steven was great, but Matt more powerful.
Gilby a nice replacement, but nowhere near Izzy.

I was hugely disappointed by Slash's projects after GNR. While Izzy made great albums. It kinda proves that Izzy can write better material (IMHO).

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: March 4, 2005 13:49

BowieStone Wrote:
> All great musicians and great song writers. I
> doubt it.
>
> Duff isn't a great bassplayer, although the
> bassline in sweet child o'mine is classic.
> Slash is a great leadguitarists, but I doubt his
> writing skills.
> Axl isn't a great singer, but he can write great
> songs.
> Izzy is the man. Brilliant rhythm guitarist and
> excellent songwriter. The heart & soul of the
> band.
> I'm one of the few preferring Matt. Steven was
> great, but Matt more powerful.
> Gilby a nice replacement, but nowhere near Izzy.
>
> I was hugely disappointed by Slash's projects
> after GNR. While Izzy made great albums. It kinda
> proves that Izzy can write better material (IMHO).
>
> - BowieStone

Well, they all suffer from what all great song writers suffer from: as a band their better than alone. It was the combination that worked: Axl the trained pianist writing great melodies, Izzy writing great Stones-like hooks and riffs, and Slash the more punkisch riff's and solo's. I do think that Izzy's contribution was the greatest, but for most songs you can't really say who wrote what. Slash is credited as songwriter on half of the UYI songs, but I agree his Snakepit work is far less than what he ever did with GnR.

By the way, I absolutely prefer Matt Sorum over Steven Adler. Adler was far to bouncy for my taste, I much prefer the solidness of Sorum.

Mathijs

Date: March 4, 2005 13:58

G+R were all right but I never
thought they were the next Stones
as they were sometimes touted. Were
did this claim come from?

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: March 4, 2005 16:37

actually they were the next black oak arkansas

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: March 4, 2005 17:26

rovalle Wrote:
> actually they were the next black oak arkansas

LMAO!!!

I think Axl was the next Tonya Harding.

karl

Date: March 4, 2005 17:59

Some of the new stuff from Chinese Democracy I liked.
But most of what i heard was bad, i thought after all this time it would be better
I don't like when Axl talks in the songs, which it what alot of it was

Posted by: john r ()
Date: March 5, 2005 19:25

They were a link from 80s air-metal (not a typo) to Nirvana, & did seem real, alive, unpredictable during those first 3 or 4 albums. At the time I thought they were sometimes bombastic (November Rain, etc)& overrated...btw I dig Buckethead (obviously GnR was a $$$ gig) & all his work w/ Praxis, Bill Laswell, solo, etc, and another late "G 'n R", member Tommy Stinson ('Mats) put out a nifty new cd last year

Date: March 5, 2005 21:28

Speaking of GnR albums, I happen to like their last one--"The Spaghetti Incident". Over the top--yes it was, but it was a good homage to their punk heroes, and suggested in the liner notes that fans should seek out the originals. As an Iggy Pop and NY Dolls fan from way back when, I thought this was a nice gesture.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2162
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home