Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Orlando 1981
Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2005 20:16

I went to the Sunday show (the second of two) at the Tangerine Bowl. Henry Paul and Van Halen opened. Though the sound was muddy and Ronnie and Keith appeared quite drunk, it was a great time and a great show. Anyone else see this show or the Saturday show (Happy Birthday Willie)? On the boot from Sunday, Jagger introduces "Let It Bleed" with "This is for all the girls who left there tampax at home". Interesting intro that I haven't heard anywhere else (unlike "Glad to be here, etc.) What are your thoughts?

P. S. Valerie B. Van Halen was standing on the edge of the stage with Eddie as the Stones played.

Re: Orlando 1981
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 1, 2005 20:21

Hey Elmo,

Not sure if you're aware, but I've mentioned previously here that the photo on the back cover of the VH Diver Down album is from the Orlando show. They're taking their final bows at the front of the stage. I wish I could have seen that concert!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: March 1, 2005 20:25

Whose shoe is it on the photo?

Date: March 1, 2005 20:26

Yeah, I knew about the cover of Diver Down. We took some pictures that showed VH in the same outfits and even the blue tennis shoe that was on the stage (obviously thrown by someone on this board!), so we kinda figured it was from that day. VH never mentions that it was taken in front of a crowd there to see the Stones and lead one to believe everyone was there to see Dave, Eddie, etc. I always liked VH though and thought they were one hell of an opening act as they were huge at that time.

Posted by: Mr.D ()
Date: March 2, 2005 00:40

I saw both the Saturday and Sunday shows in the Tangerine Bowl in Orlando, I keep hoping the soundboards will show up like they have for so many other 1981 shows...but neither of them have, so far!smiling smiley))

Posted by: harlito1969 ()
Date: March 2, 2005 01:33

He used the "tampax" line in Houston as well...check out the video/DVD from the first night October 28, 1981.
"This is for all the girls who left there tampax at home but they decided to have it anyway."

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2005 01:44

i think the tampax also showed up in Seattle, no? I know I've heard a few times...

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: March 2, 2005 01:47

I was there for the first show. Down front with the masses and the heat. Great show...I thought the sound was a bit muddy myself. Great crowd and great day. Van Halen was a fine opening act. I have an audience recording of the first show...the one where we sing Happy Birthday to Bill Wyman.

Date: March 2, 2005 20:28

It was really nice to see the band without so many others onstage. True enough, they sounded nothing like the studio versions but there was a feeling that is sadly missing these days. Mr. D, look for my e-mail.

Date: March 2, 2005 20:32

I don't need the live versions to sound exactly like the record...but when the guitar sound is just a mess...that's hard to take. I prefer the guitar sound of the 78 tour to the 81 tour. I remember the first Orlando show Keith downing almost an entire bottle of Jack Daniels on stage.

Date: March 2, 2005 20:39

Yeah, he and Ronnie both were guzzling from seperate fifths on Sunday (either Jack or Rebel Yell).

Date: March 2, 2005 20:42

I believe I stand corrected. Keith had discovered Rebel Yell during that time frame. I recall bying a bottle just becuase I had seen Keith drink it. It was terrible as I recall. Gimme Jack Daniels anyday.

Date: March 2, 2005 20:46

Like our friend Ronnie Wood, I like alcohol!!!!

Date: March 2, 2005 20:52

I will get kicked off the board for this one, but I recall passing the Tangerine Bowl on the way back to Pensacola during the Sunday show. We were coming from West Palm Beach and our timing was pure agony for me. We could have easily bought a pair of $18 tickets for the second show, but my ride had to get back to Pensacola because of his job. I wanted to strangle him. At the end of the Happy Birthday Bill boot you can hear Jagger say, "See ya tommorrow." It still kills me.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: March 2, 2005 21:24

Shawn20 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I believe I stand corrected. Keith had discovered
> Rebel Yell during that time frame. I recall bying
> a bottle just becuase I had seen Keith drink it.
> It was terrible as I recall. Gimme Jack Daniels
> anyday.

Rebel Yell is not for the faint of heart, to be sure. But, Keith discovered it at least as early as the '78 tour - during the Memphis KBFH - there's that segment where Mick is reading the label of the bottle that Keith is drinking..."that's Rebel Yell Southern Sour Mash....y'all do the Rebel Yell real good here?!"

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: March 3, 2005 03:58

I was at the sunday show.

Van Halen put on the worst show of any Stones opening act I've ever seen.

Date: March 3, 2005 05:31

No kidding, the worst? I saw Van Halen open for the Stones in 78 and 81 and both times I thought they were great. Wow! What was the problem?

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: March 3, 2005 07:38

My memorey of the guitar sound on 81 is not as fond as what happend in 78. At least in 78 you could tell what Kieth is playing and what Ronnie plays. In 81, with a few wonderful exceptions, it was almost this monolithic noise that assulted the senses rather than the distinct sound of two guitarists. I still enjoyed the shows, but more for the sake of event than anything musical.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: March 3, 2005 07:49

I look at the back cover of the Diver Down album and it looks like alot of the fans are really cheering Van Halen with their fists in the air!
Martingo, what other opening acts have you seen? Are you a fan of Van Halen in general?

Posted by: martingo ()
Date: March 3, 2005 15:25

The only other stones opening acts I've seen are Stevie Wonder, the Meters, Living Colour, Blind Melon, Third Eye Blind, Goo Goo Dolls, and No Doubt.

And yes, I generally enjoy Van Halen (not Van Hagar), although they are kind of far down my list behind stones, faces, and solo stones.

I found the VH show that day to be pretty lame - a lot of macho posturing, "making show" as opposed to a good performance. Fists in the air notwithstanding.

Nonetheless, now that No Doubt and Blind Melon have been brought into the conversation, "the worst" may indeed be an overstatement of sorts.

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: March 3, 2005 17:44

David Lee Roth pulled his pants down showing his ass and exclaimed "This One is For The Critics" on the Sunday Show.

Date: March 3, 2005 20:13

Roth was obnoxious that day and I was glad when VH left the stage as I had never seen the Stones before. However, musically VH did a good job. Enjoyed Eddie, Alex, and Michael's playing. They also played Pretty Woman that day, several months before it was on Diver Down.

Posted by: Macman15 ()
Date: March 3, 2005 20:34

Yes I was anxious to See the Stones that day for this first time also EL!!!Anyone have a recording of the VH performance of that day? Ive got all circulating Stones to trade if someone has that VH recording. Please send private email to me at Macman15@aol.com
Thanks!!!

Date: March 3, 2005 20:56

I read in an interview with Eddie that they used to play "Get Down Tonight" by KC, the Eddie playing the guitar part not realizing it had been sped up to twice the normal speed. Does anybody have a copy of this?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1556
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home