Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T PRINCE - 'Plectrum Electrum'
Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:49

[whatculture.com]

36th studio album from legendary Prince, working title 'Plectrum Electrum'

His commercial comeback since 2004 has yielded mixed results; 'Musicology' and '3121' had good tracks, among filler, I thought 'Planet Earth' and '20Ten' were much better. He's released 3 or 4 tracks over the past few months online, they were good.

Amazing Live, I saw him the night before the Stones' at the 02, London in 2007 and the show was excellent, part of his 21 night residency there.

Re: O/T PRINCE - 'Plectrum Electrum'
Posted by: crholmstrom ()
Date: May 10, 2013 14:43

I saw him do a club show in Vegas (before residency shows there). It was totally amazing. Funk party @ Prince's house! He even did "Play That Funky Music White Boy". Stunning guitar throughout. Have seen him several times. Always amazing!

Date: May 10, 2013 14:58

interesting

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: May 10, 2013 15:14

This will be the first Prince album I won't buy. (Those singles are just awful).

I used to be a die hard fan.
But a couple of years ago while listening to Sign 'o' the Times I realised that my opinion was based on other peoples opinion. (Sign 'o' The Times -the album- is very overrated)

He's not that good and all of his albums sound very dated.

I saw him in concert 5 or 6 times and it all comes down to this:
'This is where the party at' 'You got the funk?' 'I'm feelin' it'.
And that for 3 hours... Just play your damn songs!

Ofcourse Dirty Mind & Purple Rain are brilliant albums. And you can compile a fantastic 20 song best of from his other albums.

Talented? Absolutely.
But nowhere near what people generally think of him. (IMHO)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 15:16 by BowieStone.

Posted by: Silver Dagger ()
Date: May 10, 2013 15:28

Unfortunately Prince is an artist who shot himself in the foot in the 90s and has never recovered. He doesn't seem to understand the basic life mantra that less is more.

He has flooded the market with so much mediocre quality music that many of his old fans just don't give a damn any more - me included. I've heard '2 or 3 good tracks' for so long now that it's falling on deaf ears He should withdraw and then come back with a killer album to reignite his career.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 10, 2013 15:55

Saw him in concert a couple of years ago, fantastic. Stopped buying his albums after the 80s Sign of the Times.

Bought 3121 and had a couple of excellent cuts...that's about it.

Prolly wouldn't think about buying a new album.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: May 10, 2013 21:51

I saw him for the first time, two nights ago in Anaheim. Utterly blew my mind. Paid a couple hundred bucks for both shows, early and late - this was Grove of Anaheim, a 1700 person venue.

He's got an all girl band and they can really play. He did a lot of new stuff but the sound itself was very '1999,' hard rocking and funky. He did a cover of the Cars' 'Let's Go' and then played Purple Rain for the encore. Damn. I know the Hendrix comparisons are overplayed, there was actually a pretty heavy gospel feel to the whole thing as well.

Like all his newer albums, even. Have bought 'em all, for 28 years... Was worth the wait to see him, IMO. winking smiley

"Just a poor girl in a rich man's house" * Rockin' in Nashville, TN!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-10 21:53 by tnhybrid.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1222
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home