Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

What would happen if...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2005 13:54

On the last tours the band had to cancel/reschedule a few gigs because of Mick's health. They did play a few gigs on the last tour without Bobby and Lisa if I remember correctly. I don't think they would cancel a show with one of the side musicians being ill. But I wonder what would happen if Chuck wouldn't be able to play some night....We have discussed Chuck's role in the Stones live performance many times here on this board and it's obvious that for the band members he is more than just a side musician, some even call him kind of a "musical director", no matter if we like this thought or not. So what do you think? Would they cancel a show? Would they try and hire another piano player? Or would they just go out and play dirty rock'n roll without keyboards?

Re: What would happen if...
Posted by: Anonymous User ()
Date: February 28, 2005 13:56

Sorry about the double post, don't know what happened

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 28, 2005 14:19

Well Tim Ries playes keyboards on a number of tracks. Maybe they rehearsed more songs with him playing the keyboards.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: February 28, 2005 14:27

Blondie also plays keyboards. But I still think they would cancel. They depend on Chuck.

Posted by: country honk ()
Date: February 28, 2005 14:28

CL doesn't play anything "fantastic" on the keyboard - basicly simple chords.... So anybody in the background / support crew with basic knowledge of playing keyboard could take over instead of CL.....

Posted by: Limbostone ()
Date: February 28, 2005 15:40

They could put on the Mary Poppins soundtrack as a replacement back-up.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: February 28, 2005 16:13

I think that they have it all covered. So there's two who can play/sing the backing parts.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 28, 2005 16:40

I think they wouldn't cancel the shows. There are lot of pro musicians to fill that space easily. They just play the tape of their show and say "imitate that". Not a big thing. World is full of chuckies and brilliant nobodies like him. In fact, they could do that to every one in the stage expect the main characters Mick, Keith and Charlie themselves. Ronnie's case is different. Can they really play without him onstage? Musically yes, but what does his contract say? Would the audience matter or would they feel betrayed and want their money back?

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-28 16:44 by Rorty.

Date: February 28, 2005 17:26

Interesting point Rorty.
If Ronnie would be sick and can't play a concert i'm attending i wouldn't be happy about it at all! But on the other hand it would be interesting to see how they sound with Pierre, Blondie or Mick's guitar tech (forgot his name) playing in stead.

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 28, 2005 17:32

Rorty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Ronnie's case is different. Can they
> really play without him onstage? Musically yes,
> but what does his contract say? Would the audience
> matter or would they feel betrayed and want their
> money back?
>

Or would they be willing to pay extra?

Just kidding!

;-)

Date: February 28, 2005 18:01

LOL

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: bv ()
Date: February 28, 2005 19:03

I have seen shows without Lisa. Then they can't do Gimme Shelter. And they are limited in other songs. It is ok for one show but not many.

Bobby missed out on some shows at the end of 2003 Europe. Tim Ries is really a great sax player but he is not Bobby Keys. Brown Sugar was bad in my ears. And they could not do can't You Hear Me Knocking plus several other songs. It was a lot harder than missing Lisa.

I am not a musician, but I can't see them doing a show without any of the other members. Chuck and Darryl are all a must for the show. And in the respect of ther art of a Stones show, I can't imagine you can just add a guitar, bass or keyboard player, just like that, and expect the show to be just as good. It's like replacing Beckham with any other no. 1 fotball player overnight. It would not work.

Bjornulf

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 28, 2005 19:18

I dont think they'd cancel a show for Chuck in regard to him being irreplacable musically, but it would happen primarily for the reason that onstage he's, to all intents and purposes, their musical director/co-ordinator these days...

I can just imagine the reaction though at the venue when thousands of people turn up from various points of the globe to see the Stones, and then they hear it's postponed because Chuck Leavell is ill...

LMAO

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: February 28, 2005 21:32

I just can't see why the Stones can't do Gimme Shelter without Lisa. I mean, how many times have the Stones played it without backing vocals??? I admit they can't do a gig without a bassplayer, but without backing vocals for sure they can.

About Chuck, I think they couldn't do it, but I agree with Gazza it would be too hard to explain...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Date: February 28, 2005 21:38

Does Chuck really have a choice???

If they are outside ...
Take a pill and put on a coat!!!

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 1, 2005 11:31

"I can just imagine the reaction though at the venue when thousands of people turn up from various points of the globe to see the Stones, and then they hear it's postponed because Chuck Leavell is ill..."

Well, maybe in that case they WOULD say that Mick Jagger has some throat problems... Now, think that possibility and the postponed shows..Hmmm.. smiling smiley

- Doxa

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: March 1, 2005 11:41

Gazza Wrote:
> I
> I can just imagine the reaction though at the
> venue when thousands of people turn up from
> various points of the globe to see the Stones, and
> then they hear it's postponed because Chuck
> Leavell is ill...
>
> LMAO

I think they'd say mick was ill or something

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: March 1, 2005 12:34

you're probably right.

wouldnt be the first time they've lied about the reason for postponing shows!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: March 1, 2005 22:31

They did a number of shows in the old days without Brian.

Posted by: rod ()
Date: March 1, 2005 23:35

wahwahwoody Wrote:
> They did play a few gigs on the last tour
> without Bobby and Lisa if I remember correctly

where its happen?

Posted by: erikjjf ()
Date: March 1, 2005 23:45

Tower Theatre - without Lisa
Twickenham 2 and Benidorm - without Bobby

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-03-01 23:47 by erikjjf.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1909
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home