Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13
Re: San Jose May 8 Stones show live updates
Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:06

JJF cries for Taylor's noodling. They stick to the original too much.

Date: May 10, 2013 12:13

NICOS
Rocky Dijon
I just watched the video and was waiting to hear the difference and then it hits you square between the eyes. Having seen dozens of versions of this song since STEEL WHEELS the immediate recognition is that Ronnie is free to bounce off Taylor in the lead up to the solo like I haven't seen or heard him do ever before. Largely Keith just keeps the riff going and Ronnie has little to add to the song. Here Keith holds down the main riff and the soloing makes a great improvement over the imitation Stax horns and overdone backing vocals that handled the melody line on previous tours. No one can claim Taylor was too loud or showboating. Instead you've got the perfect example of what a three-guitar band can be at this stage in their career. I'm not suggesting every song, but every song that Taylor played on in the past certainly would benefit from his appearance. What a joy that was to watch. Not taking away from Clapton or Beck or any of the other guitarists who have shared the stage on this tour, but Taylor is able to mesh with Keith and Ronnie's sound instead of seeming like a Guest Appearance. This is really the ideal band if they only build upon this.

thumbs upthumbs upthumbs up Thank you Mr. Dijon

Enough said.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: May 10, 2013 12:43

Reagan
benstones
No Expectations, just found on YouTube.

That's just amazing. Fantastic performance. They have to release this as part of a live album.

-R

Sublime.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 10, 2013 13:34

Just listened to part of Daspyknow's recording and it sounds like it was great! Keith was a lot better on Gimmer Shelter than in Oakland for sure, no bum notes and the swing from the old days is back (it wasn't in 2012 even though there were no bum notes). Mick's falsetto was perfect on ER too, unlike in Oakland.

I'm a bit disappointed in Fogerty's guest spot though, it probably worked better with the visuals, but his voice isn't really miked properly (no sound check?) and his guitar only started sounding good towards the end.

On with the show !

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 10, 2013 14:47

gotdablouse
Just listened to part of Daspyknow's recording and it sounds like it was great! Keith was a lot better on Gimmer Shelter than in Oakland for sure, no bum notes and the swing from the old days is back (it wasn't in 2012 even though there were no bum notes). Mick's falsetto was perfect on ER too, unlike in Oakland.

I'm a bit disappointed in Fogerty's guest spot though, it probably worked better with the visuals, but his voice isn't really miked properly (no sound check?) and his guitar only started sounding good towards the end.

On with the show !

That's what I noticed too, pity...well with some mixing they could fix this issue....great performance though.
Although I expected they did Dead Flowers or Sweet Virginia with John..........

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: May 10, 2013 15:04

Rocky Dijon
I just watched the video and was waiting to hear the difference and then it hits you square between the eyes. Having seen dozens of versions of this song since STEEL WHEELS the immediate recognition is that Ronnie is free to bounce off Taylor in the lead up to the solo like I haven't seen or heard him do ever before. Largely Keith just keeps the riff going and Ronnie has little to add to the song. Here Keith holds down the main riff and the soloing makes a great improvement over the imitation Stax horns and overdone backing vocals that handled the melody line on previous tours. No one can claim Taylor was too loud or showboating. Instead you've got the perfect example of what a three-guitar band can be at this stage in their career. I'm not suggesting every song, but every song that Taylor played on in the past certainly would benefit from his appearance. What a joy that was to watch. Not taking away from Clapton or Beck or any of the other guitarists who have shared the stage on this tour, but Taylor is able to mesh with Keith and Ronnie's sound instead of seeming like a Guest Appearance. This is really the ideal band if they only build upon this.
Exactly, couldn't have said it better if I tried, lock thread.

Date: May 10, 2013 15:10

benstones
No Expectations, just found on YouTube.

very rare song statistically. only played 20 times ever and only once since 2003

HP Pavilion, San Jose, CA, USA on May 8, 2013
Estádio José Alvalade, Lisbon, Portugal on June 25, 2007
Astoria Theatre, London, England on August 27, 2003

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 10, 2013 15:12

VT22
Taylor wants his Ampeg / monitor volume cracked up, I start to like his playing again. He's getting better.cool smiley

Now we're talking. winking smiley

Posted by: sweetcharmedlife ()
Date: May 10, 2013 16:56

A little late. But here's my San Jose review. Bought the $85 tickets when they first went on sale. Took our time getting there.Knowing they weren't coming on until 9. Got to the arena at 8. Walked up to the special will call table. No line. They handed us an enevlope. Before I could ope n it,they asked for it back. Then they told us we were getting pit tickets. Unbelieveable. Walked right into the pit. It was only about three quarters full.Better setlist then Oakland. Better guests. Although,their were technical difficulties with both Fogerty and Raitt.But still strong performances from both. Espicially Bonnie. Then my dreams really came true. No Expectations has been one of my favorite Stones songs forever. I saw it on the fan vote App. But figured Fool to Cry would win. Then they played NE and nailed it.Taylor was awesome. Show was great. Out of my 21 shows,this might have been second only to Oakland 99. Opening night of No Security.

"It's just some friends of mine and they're busting down the door"

Date: May 10, 2013 17:03

Fantastic, I guess they had some spare pits...your evening was off to the best possible start! I was going to say that the pit seemed fuller than in LA based on the vids, but 3/4 then...such a shame to have sold tix for $1500, $600 and it would have been packed, well I guess it's better for those who made it inside...

NICOS
gotdablouse

On with the show !

That's what I noticed too, pity...well with some mixing they could fix this issue....great performance though.
Although I expected they did Dead Flowers or Sweet Virginia with John..........

Yeah and now that I've seen the video, where JF runs to Mick to discuss things, it does seem like there was no rehearsal/soundcheck with him...just winging, Glimmer Twins style ;-) Well it worked better with Bonnie Raitt so I guess they won't change their modus operandi going forward ;-)

Posted by: Maindefender ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:21

Wing it, that's what we want!!

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:38

It's a shame to invite a worthwhile guest and then waste their talents with under-rehearsal or no rehearsal at all. What is it - rehearsals cost time? or money? Why don't they seem to bother?

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 10, 2013 17:49

sweetcharmedlife
A little late. But here's my San Jose review. Bought the $85 tickets when they first went on sale. Took our time getting there.Knowing they weren't coming on until 9. Got to the arena at 8. Walked up to the special will call table. No line. They handed us an enevlope. Before I could ope n it,they asked for it back. Then they told us we were getting pit tickets. Unbelieveable. Walked right into the pit. It was only about three quarters full.Better setlist then Oakland. Better guests. Although,their were technical difficulties with both Fogerty and Raitt.But still strong performances from both. Espicially Bonnie. Then my dreams really came true. No Expectations has been one of my favorite Stones songs forever. I saw it on the fan vote App. But figured Fool to Cry would win. Then they played NE and nailed it.Taylor was awesome. Show was great. Out of my 21 shows,this might have been second only to Oakland 99. Opening night of No Security.

So happy you got into the Pit! I upgrated myself to fist row in the aisle in section 117, next to 118 - it was f___cking awesome. On to Vegas!

Date: May 10, 2013 17:51

sarahunwin
sweetcharmedlife

So happy you got into the Pit! I upgrated myself to fist row in the aisle in section 117, next to 118 - it was f___cking awesome. On to Vegas!
Enjoy Vegas Sara.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 10, 2013 18:01

sarahunwin
sweetcharmedlife

Rock out Sparkly Top ......... rock out in Vegas !! You comin' over the pond for Hyde Park 1 & 2 ?

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 10, 2013 18:05

Thanks SweetCharmedLife....King of the Pit.

Date: May 10, 2013 19:02

Green Lady
It's a shame to invite a worthwhile guest and then waste their talents with under-rehearsal or no rehearsal at all. What is it - rehearsals cost time? or money? Why don't they seem to bother?

Agreed, but I guess they figure it hasn't worked too badly for them so far, so they keep doing it. From the outside it looks like a big well oiled machine but it's a small team really figuring things out as they go along. We really got a good sense of that while hanging outside during the Bondy rehearsals and overheard a lot of conversations from their "entourage"...

Date: May 10, 2013 19:04

stonesrule
Thanks SweetCharmedLife....King of the Pit.
Sometimes it really is a ...

Posted by: georgelicks ()
Date: May 10, 2013 19:16

Posted by: glimmerman ()
Date: May 10, 2013 19:23

Bonnie Raitt and The Bump Band (Ian McLagan and Johnny Lee Schell) is the only band I've ever seen that sounded like The Rolling Stones.

Posted by: StonesCat ()
Date: May 10, 2013 19:29

gotdablouse

On with the show !

Saw a review on one of the other Stones sites say that MT was in the pit during that song.

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 10, 2013 22:23

The few clips I've seen of San Jose are simply Cracking, Smashing and Outstanding.

CBII

Posted by: chenster ()
Date: May 10, 2013 23:12

I also got pit tickets with my $85 ticket. For the Oakland show I got way in the back in the upper level. I came at 8:22pm and they handed my the wrist bands and tickets. Maybe the secret is to come to the show late. In Oakland I waited in line for 40 minutes and they just headed everyone tickets. When you show up "late" there is no line and maybe they have extra pit tickets.

Posted by: Reagan ()
Date: May 11, 2013 00:55

CBII
The few clips I've seen of San Jose are simply Cracking, Smashing and Outstanding.

Feel the same way.

You know, now that I think of it, I don't think I've ever disagreed with one of your posts.

-R

Posted by: sarahunwin ()
Date: May 11, 2013 01:47

paulywaul
sarahunwin
sweetcharmedlife

Rock out Sparkly Top ......... rock out in Vegas !! You comin' over the pond for Hyde Park 1 & 2 ?

I wish I was pauly - no $$$ left! So happy I got in 4 shows here. Off to Vegas now and the last Staples on 5/20. Have $85 tics for that so fingers crossed!!!!

Date: May 11, 2013 01:58

Gibson668
schillid
MCDDTLC
Damn - Any "complete" videos of MR or Satisfaction from last night????

MLC

That brought a tear to my eye,,

Are you kidding! I am balling my eyes out! Unbelievable! Is this for real?

Date: May 11, 2013 02:49

JumpinJackOLantern
Are you kidding! I am balling my eyes out! Unbelievable! Is this for real?

I know, right? It's hard to believe after all these years.

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 11, 2013 03:08

Fogerty forgot the lyrics to his part, just like Gwen. Must be intimidating being on stage with the greatest front man of all time.

Date: May 11, 2013 15:28

Incredible version of "Satisfaction". Never thought that I would get goosebumps one more time watching the 2013 Stones.
Taylor actually started out on far left, and then inserted himself smack in the middle of it all. His restrained playing was perfect; everyone solo-ed a bit. Looks like Keith was aware of how good it was. Even Jagger was more in the '69 version of himself. At ca 4:30 he is alone out there - beautiful. I like how Taylor has come in very sure of himself. He seems to be watching Jagger more than any one else.

On a weird note: I was watching shots of audience members - and at one point I thought I saw Charlie Watts down there - LOL??

Posted by: with sssoul ()
Date: May 11, 2013 16:03

Palace Revolution 2000
I like how Taylor has come in very sure of himself.

Yeah he's found himself a groooooove - great to hear
He's lookin real well too

I love the Rolling Stones

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213Next
Current Page: 12 of 13

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1652
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home