Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Palais Royale Toronto CD
Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 27, 2005 17:08

Hey guys,

I just recently got hold of a 'soundboard' boot from this 2002 show, I got it from ebay. No one had bid for it and I put in a maximum bid of £5 or something to see what would happen (it was my first time using ebay) and as nobody bid, it sold to me for 1p !! Plus postage, so £2.01 !!

Does anyone have this? My copy has a colour front cover with a pic from the 2002 press conference, and then the background is the licks artwork (the stadium stage backdrop). It is pretty amateur with no label (crystal cat etc).
I listened to it yesterday as soon as I got it, the sound is pretty good, and the setlist is great in terms of unusual songs.

I think some of it is amazing but there are a couple of embarrassing points.
Some thoughts: Sad sad sad: didnt like the intro with charlies drums ontop of the guitar, but good apart form that. Hot stuff is really sleazy, cool NYC 80's kinda feel. Even though they're all over the place with mick having to direct them, it adds to the beauty of the song.
Ronnie sounds good on torn and frayed, but the intro is a disaster, out of time, it seems keith sometimes shies away from 'a bold' guitar intro on songs he is not sure of. In their defence this is a glorified rehearsal, as keith says before happy.
Wild Horses: What the @#$%& happened to the intro??!! Keith starts with the chords from the verse and it falls apart as mick starts to sing... I didnt know whether to laugh or cringe. Great to hear all of heart of stone, after being teased with just part of the verse from the 4 flicks doc.

Overall pretty cool. I wish i could get to toronto for the start of the next tour. My girlfriend and some of my family are from their so it would be cheap, but how do I time it in terms of a suprise club gig !!!!

Also, on the cd the first couple of seconds of JJFlash are missing..? Dunno why.

So were any of you guys at the show? What was it like??

Re: Palais Royale Toronto CD
Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 27, 2005 17:42

Get the Double DVD with the rehearsals and most of the show in excellent quality.

For a "first show" it´s really, really good.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 27, 2005 17:56

I remember raving at what a wonderful "find" that recording was when it first trickled out literally at the beginning of the 2002 tour. Listening to it in comparison to the plethora of wonderfully tight "Licks" shows thereafter however you realize they were indeed "a bag of nerves on first nights."

I have an extra tightened up 12 song version of it which is wonderful listen if anyone wants to trade.

Posted by: Mr Jimmy ()
Date: February 27, 2005 17:57

Hey Too Tough,

Thanks for the advice, do you know where I can get hold of the double DVD?
Also, how the hell were rehearsals leaked ??!!

Posted by: TooTough ()
Date: February 27, 2005 18:06

It´s just called

TORONTO PALAIS ROYALE 2002 (Digipak) (RS 01/02, EXILE).

That´s all I can say about it.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 27, 2005 18:25

I'd say both the dvd and cd are
must haves, and a lot of fun
tho I wish the guitars were
more upfront in the mix.
But ya git what ya git
with the boots.

Posted by: shattered ()
Date: March 2, 2005 06:37

Yup, I have it too but paid more than you did. Recommend Taxile on Main Street.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: March 2, 2005 13:51

We stood outside the doors of the Palais Royale,
nice lakeshore breeze, enthusiastic crowd, could
hear great and see Mick and Keith on stage. Was
odd to see ticketholders with little interest in
the band itself coming and going, must've gotten
them as promos? Freebies? While we were stuck
without. We raced to the west exit right before
Brown Sugar, the encore, to see the boys race
out, Mick tear off into the Toronto night
in his limo. Turned out to be a classic
Stones year, seeing them twice more,
at the Air Canada Centre (seats
cost a fortune and sucked) and
SarStock (great fun but maybe
not the Stones best night).
IMHO the Palais rocked,
and I'm glad to have
the boots.

Date: March 2, 2005 15:14

<Hot stuff is really sleazy, cool NYC 80's kinda feel>

Hot Stuff is THE Vegas number on that disc! Horrible version. Leaning on the horns more than ever... All Mick sings is Hot Stuff, no verses at all. And where are the guitars???

I like Torn And Frayed and Heart Of Stone.

Date: March 2, 2005 18:13

I'd love to have that DVD...I do have the CD. how does one get the DVD? I've been looking for these, I know there's a ton of them, but I'm not a trader so don't know how to get them...seems like you have to keep looking on ebay or something...

Posted by: jaxx ()
Date: March 3, 2005 03:24

LMAO. i was just listening to this again TODAY. i agree the DVD is fantastic, but the CD is fab as well. i especially like the gemS thrown into the setlist. as far as lousy intros--embarrassing moments, it WAS the first concert of the tour.--"they're a bag of nerves on first nights" to be precise! yet, i was thinking, wow they came out and played like THAT? impressive. intimate stones is pretty hard to beat.

the "first time we did this" comments obviously meant "first time we did it w/ronnie". "torn and frayed" was performed in '72 w/mick taylor and "heart of stone" w/brian jones a couple of times in the sixties. the sound quality is nothing to complain about.

ronnie and keith were weaving well on this evening. "torn and frayed" is like pennies from heaven. however, "can't ya hear me knocking" is a bit mellow for my tastes. i especially enjoy the stones covering otis redding's "i can't turn you loose". "stray cat blues" is surprisingly clean.

Posted by: monkey man ()
Date: March 3, 2005 08:13

Dillard email me and I'll run off a copy for you of the dvd.
Mine however is only one disc not two. Has the whole show and the pre gig stuff so I'm pretty sure that's most if not all of it.

kyle m

Have you ever lent somebody $20 and never seen them again? It was probably worth it.

Posted by: marston ()
Date: March 3, 2005 08:52

I have the 2 DVD Dr. Exile version if needed email me.

Greg

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2016
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home