Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Mick & Keith Interaction at Staples & Oakland
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:41

Keith: "Look at me damn it!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 08:41 by RollingFreak.

Posted by: elunsi ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:42

RollingFreak
I agree with most. I'd like to see something. Some encouraging "yeah, Keith!"s or some arms around each other. I'm a big Bruce Springsteen fan, and I love how obviously connected you can see the band is. He's smiling, sharing the mic with them, joking around, calling out to them. You knew they genuinely appreciated each other on stage, and its very likely they didn't hang out much off stage. But on stage they enjoyed playing together and know the fans like to see them interact and get a kick out of each other.

I think you can and can't take Jagger's actions personally. Mick NEEDS to run around the stage, and they have a big stage, so he doesn't have much time to stay back with the rest of the guys without soon needing to move around again. With him though, it seems he really doesn't want to be near Keith. He yells "gimme, gimme, gimme" at Keith's guitar, and then as soon as Keith starts moving up closer, Jagger moves away. I don't think its over analyzing to say its kind of noticeable.

And I think what makes it worse, in my eyes, is that Keith WANTS to be a little closer. He wants to put his arm around him on stage, he wants to sing some of the choruses, he wants to feed off Mick's energy. And it seems Mick wants the distance. I don't need or want them to kiss, but they are old and as someone young, I enjoy seeing these old guys who clearly just like to spend time with each other, at least on stage. Even with the Who, you see Pete and Roger joking around and carrying on on stage. Its just the two of them now, and its nice for a fan to see "yeah, they like each other." With the Stones, it really does feel like an obligation for the two to get close and its just a little annoying. I'd like to at least see Jagger give Keith a pat on the back once or twice, or act as jokingly and friendly as he does towards Ronnie and Charlie.

After reading what Keith said in the RS about his book, that he would write everything exactly the same way, that he did not REALLY appologise, how can he expect that Mick WANTS to be close to Keith?

Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:15

more Oakland photos here

- swiss

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:27

Somegirl66
Mick was Keith's best man at his wedding in 1983. Google Mick and keith moment in shine a light, images, and there's some really sweet ones. They seemed pretty close again..I think Keith's book was the final straw for Mick and that while he has forgiven keith, he can't forget..not just the todger stuff but general digs..lead vocalist syndrome, brenda, her majesty etc..

Hear is an article Bill Wyman wrote on what Mick's reply would have been to "Life":

[www.slate.com]

All said, Mick's probably keeping his distance and just going on with the show...hopefully things will thaw and get better as they they tour. It would be great to see them share that camaraderie spirit once again. (:

Just to be clear that is not *the* bill wyman

Posted by: stonesdan60 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 10:53

24FPS
Was it the Some Girls tour where the distance started? You think Mick was fed up with Keith's junkiedom and how Keith's bust endangered the band? Mick seemed to have lost a lot of the feeling that he and Keith were in this together. I really don't think their relationship survived the 70s.

As far as I recall, when I saw them in 1978 they were still singing into the same mic - at least on some songs. In '81 it was quite noticeable that Keith stuck to his own microphone when singing the backups. The closest they came to singing together was when Mick stood shoulder to shoulder with Keith on the chorus of HTW (which can be seen in the film Let's Spend the Night Together), but they still each used their own mic. They seem to have kept their distance ever since.

Date: May 8, 2013 11:45

stonesdan60
24FPS
Was it the Some Girls tour where the distance started? You think Mick was fed up with Keith's junkiedom and how Keith's bust endangered the band? Mick seemed to have lost a lot of the feeling that he and Keith were in this together. I really don't think their relationship survived the 70s.

As far as I recall, when I saw them in 1978 they were still singing into the same mic - at least on some songs. In '81 it was quite noticeable that Keith stuck to his own microphone when singing the backups. The closest they came to singing together was when Mick stood shoulder to shoulder with Keith on the chorus of HTW (which can be seen in the film Let's Spend the Night Together), but they still each used their own mic. They seem to have kept their distance ever since.

i believe 81 was the first tour where keith doing keith numbers with mick off stage was contractually required. i don't know if it was mick requiring it so that he could have a break, or keith requiring it so that mick was off the stage. i do know that it's written into their contract.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 8, 2013 12:32

Yeah that's what Nick Kent wrote in his infamous 1986 article in SPIN...written in the contract, it's hard to imagine Keith asking for that too.

It seems it's been downhill on this tour since the Trabendo show where Keith put his right arm around Mick (didn't reciprocate) after a few numbers and several people shouted "That's what we want to see" but Mick wriggled out of it pretty quickly, seemed uneasy. Of course he had a show to attend to, but still, he didn't seem interested, you can't tell from that picture though :

At the private rehearsal in Bondy, Keith made fun of Mick (circular sign above his head) after he missed the same cue a couple of times on OMS...seemed a bit out of place.

But yes, we still have them, at least until July 13th, so let's not over analyze : Got this nice "catwalk" picture at the O2/25th : "hey look who's here !" :

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 12:34 by gotdablouse.

Date: May 8, 2013 12:50

I don't think the OP's question is that far fetched. There is an in-between area between M& K kissing each other and the col shoulder. Every musician knows there is much to be said about a good rapport from one guy to another when playing live music.
Especially with the Stones and their long colorful history. I think every Stonesfan has to but into the notion of some kind of romance streak between the Glimmer Twins.
When there is no eye contact, no smiles then the idea of a last album is more remote IMO.
In the FF DVD backstage, when Keith is talking about separate dressing rooms, and not wanting to hear Jagger practice scales it is still done with humor. That was before 'Life'. IMO 'Life' broke something.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:05

What shows are you all seeing? I've been to both shows on the tour and the club show and it looks to me like they are getting along great. No, they don't hug between every song, but jeez, Mick is always so mobile he's all over the place. I took a lot of pictures and just getting the camera to stay in focus for Mick is a chore. My seats for LA and Oakland were right on the side of the stage, (2 row for one, 4th for the other) and there were several moments I saw Mick shoot Keith a smile or "that was good" look. I actually thought they were interacting better this tour than in the past. I read this post and all the sudden, I wonder what shows I saw. I don't get why people look for things to pick apart. I guess your attitude determines what you see. I add one of the pictures I took and leave it at that. See what you want to see.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 13:08 by jomo297.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:13

Palace Revolution 2000
I don't think the OP's question is that far fetched. There is an in-between area between M& K kissing each other and the col shoulder. Every musician knows there is much to be said about a good rapport from one guy to another when playing live music.
Especially with the Stones and their long colorful history. I think every Stonesfan has to but into the notion of some kind of romance streak between the Glimmer Twins.
When there is no eye contact, no smiles then the idea of a last album is more remote IMO.
In the FF DVD backstage, when Keith is talking about separate dressing rooms, and not wanting to hear Jagger practice scales it is still done with humor. That was before 'Life'. IMO 'Life' broke something.

Keith should have been more careful with his book, apparently the communication hasn't been very good between them over the years, and in the book Keith wanted to say how he really feels, he should have talked about his feelings privately with Jagger in advance and though I understand that Keith wanted be honest in the book, I think that he could have been honest in a more civilized way.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 13:14 by rollingon.

Date: May 8, 2013 13:28

rollingon
Palace Revolution 2000

Keith should have been more careful with his book, apparently the communication hasn't been very good between them over the years, and in the book Keith wanted to say how he really feels, he should have talked about his feelings privately with Jagger in advance and though I understand that Keith wanted be honest in the book, I think that he could have been honest in a more civilized way.

keith claims he went over all of it with Mick prior... but Keith claims a lot of things. He also mentions that if you're surprised at what's in the book, you should see what got left out... Overall it appears as though Mick moved on a while ago, and resents being dragged back into it whenever Keith takes public shots at him, which Keith presumably does because he doesn't want Mick to move on.... but what do i know. they're playing well, that's what counts, right?

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:38

this is such old news .these guys (glimmers) are such pros,that it's all about the music .not sitting around the campfire holding hands and singing kumbaya (i know i spelled that wrong ).to me as long as they are putting on a GOOD show thats all that matters !!!!!!!!!! i could tell stories about my lifetime friends of over thirty years and how tight we are or not ,but when it comes time to get to the heart (don henley)of the matter to have each others back is what counts !

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:56

I love to analysize and over-analysize anything Stones related - I guess some of you might have noticed - but reading something of their personal relationships based on live performances is totally a grey area for me. I really can't see there things some people are seeing. Even not sharing the mic - to pose like in the good ole times - might nothing to do with their relationship, but just a technical matter. Which once was natural, or coming out of necessity, might not be that anymore. We move on.

To my eyes anything the 'matured' Jagger does on stage is professional - the guy is 110% concentrated on his act, which might look 'cold' to some eyes. But shit, he is there to entertain us, not to have an affair with Keith. He is at work there, and that's pretty damn hard work! The same goes for Keith, but part of Keith's job or role is to be pirate giving hugs to everyone, to be so lovable, smiley, easy accessable, etc. Actually I think Keith basically was having way too much fun in previous tours and some of his playing duties suffered of that. Now it is better in that sense.

Besides, if we look all their interviews taken together, public appearances together, it always looks like a one happy family. Which seemingly is not the case in reality.

These guys are pros. On with the show.

- Doxa

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 8, 2013 18:04

It's still very early in the tour and Mick and Keith are probably hyperfocused to deliver and not to hold hands. The older they get, the more effort it takes them to sound like a tight band. Especially Mick is very serious about his performance so I'm not suprised he looks as if he isolates himself from the rest of the band. Anyhow, I'm sure they will interact more once they start to loosen up.

But then again, as Doxa said, analyzing their relationship based on their onstage interaction is a litte far fetched. I think it's safe to say that this tour wouldn't have happened if things were that bad between Mick and Keith.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: May 8, 2013 18:34

ThatsWhatISay
I think it's safe to say that this tour wouldn't have happened if things were that bad between Mick and Keith.

Honestly, I don't think that's entirely true, thinking through the list of ex-friends and people in my life I personally hate, I'd definitely travel around the country spending two hours a night with my absolute worst enemy for $100 million. I've been insulted and dissed by lots of ex-girlfriends and bandmates and business partners and whatnot over the years, and in spite of how I feel about them, there's not one of those people I wouldn't travel around with them putting up with being around them for only two hours a day, if you stuck over $100 million in my face.

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: May 8, 2013 19:34

Turning To Gold
ThatsWhatISay
I think it's safe to say that this tour wouldn't have happened if things were that bad between Mick and Keith.

Honestly, I don't think that's entirely true, thinking through the list of ex-friends and people in my life I personally hate, I'd definitely travel around the country spending two hours a night with my absolute worst enemy for $100 million. I've been insulted and dissed by lots of ex-girlfriends and bandmates and business partners and whatnot over the years, and in spite of how I feel about them, there's not one of those people I wouldn't travel around with them putting up with being around them for only two hours a day, if you stuck over $100 million in my face.

You are talking about people you "hate" here. I don't think that this word is the right one to describe the relationship of Mick and Keith. While they aren't certainly very close to each other anymore, I highly doubt this is because of such immensly negative sentiments like hate. I'm sure they still feel somewhat connected on a personal level although it's maybe not enough to hang out like old buddies and enjoy the time between concerts together. All the mutual side blows and disparagements of the past have probaly catered for many frosty moments to the point where the ice could never melt away entirely again. But that doesn't mean that deep inside they lost their mutual respect or even worse hate each other now. No way. They certainly have to deal with plenty of subliminal tension while on the road, but I feel that's about it.

So I definitely don't think they did this tour only for the sake of money while always having in mind "I only have to endure this guy for 2 hours a night". First and foremost they love what they are doing although they enjoy doing it even more for a fat paycheck winking smiley

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 8, 2013 20:58

Delta
If there was such a huge gulf between Mick and Keith, Waits would not have been onstage. Besides, members in every big band in world all have separate dressing rooms.Like Sonny Terry one said when Brownie McGee left him in a dressing, someone said "Hey, Sonny, Brownie just left". Sonny said, "We don't ride together"

NO. AC/DC for exemple, a common dressing room since 1973...

Posted by: WindyHorses ()
Date: May 8, 2013 21:34

ThatsWhatISay
It's still very early in the tour and Mick and Keith are probably hyperfocused to deliver and not to hold hands. The older they get, the more effort it takes them to sound like a tight band. Especially Mick is very serious about his performance so I'm not suprised he looks as if he isolates himself from the rest of the band. Anyhow, I'm sure they will interact more once they start to loosen up.

But then again, as Doxa said, analyzing their relationship based on their onstage interaction is a litte far fetched. I think it's safe to say that this tour wouldn't have happened if things were that bad between Mick and Keith.

Good points here. After all they have money, so they don't have to do anything unless they want to do whatever.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 8, 2013 21:45

Yes, it's possible to read in too much to onstage interaction, yet I don't think that's the case here for people who've been watching them for a long time over many years. Then too there's the fact that they don't seem to have been in the same room writing or working on new songs for a good while.

What may have triggered more of the audience noticing their recent interaction was those few filmed moments in Shine a Light where they shared a mic, yes, a scene likely requested by the director. Also, Keith's book caused some to suspect that any rifts had widened, postponing another tour. I really wish Keith hadn't said he would lie to his mother if necessary, which implied he could well have lied to Mick. I think that's just Keith's rebel/pirate self stepping back from a bit of conciliation, maybe seen as softness or giving in. He may well have been sorry for causing so much pain to Mick, as he supposedly said, partly because the media picked up a phrase to broadcast, magnifying the negative parts of his text.

I really appreciate any shot of the two sharing glances, fist bumps or other direct interactions.
Some of us are more interested in looking at relationships than others, and in particular the one between the two songwriters and bandmates, always will be. That doesn't necessarily mean we're deluded or uninterested in the music, any more than it means that those whoaren't are unfeeling sods. cool smiley

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 8, 2013 21:52

I wonder if The Stones are the only band in the world that have fans that are saddened and so damn analytical over how Mick and Keith interact with each other on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 21:52 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 8, 2013 21:59

maybe the audiences in the states dont get them fired up enough.
saw some videos, but its like all people are on drugs. Lame reactions, not much energy.

Jeroen

Posted by: ssprings ()
Date: May 8, 2013 21:59

angee
Yes, it's possible to read in too much to onstage interaction, yet I don't think that's the case here for people who've been watching them for a long time over many years. Then too there's the fact that they don't seem to have been in the same room writing or working on new songs for a good while.

What may have triggered more of the audience noticing their recent interaction was those few filmed moments in Shine a Light where they shared a mic, yes, a scene likely requested by the director. Also, Keith's book caused some to suspect that any rifts had widened, postponing another tour. I really wish Keith hadn't said he would lie to his mother if necessary, which implied he could well have lied to Mick. I think that's just Keith's rebel/pirate self stepping back from a bit of conciliation, maybe seen as softness or giving in. He may well have been sorry for causing so much pain to Mick, as he supposedly said, partly because the media picked up a phrase to broadcast, magnifying the negative parts of his text.

I really appreciate any shot of the two sharing glances, fist bumps or other direct interactions.
Some of us are more interested in looking at relationships than others, and in particular the one between the two songwriters and bandmates, always will be. That doesn't necessarily mean we're deluded or uninterested in the music, any more than it means that those whoaren't are unfeeling sods. cool smiley

There is a scene in Shine A Light..."As Tears Go By"... Keith watches Mick with admiration and Mick glances over at Keith towards the end. That is genuine respect and admiration. I think that is what they share now...

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:04

Happier times between Mick and Keith....

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:09

Often I wonder why they dislike each other so much. The problems in the eighties were easy to explain. Two men with huge egos had quarreled about music, women and money for twenty years. But they found back on the path and developed a strategy to gain glory and hundreds of millon dollars together and to take timeouts from each other. Yet when one watches them hugging each other for Scorcese's camera one recognizes an expression of strongest disgust in their faces. At the same time they get together over and over again. Students of psychology could write a thesis about that relationship.

Posted by: nightskyman ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:19

rambler44
Really sad to hear. Thanks for answering. Could they really need the money so bad?? Why do it if they can't even acknowledge each other anymore. And you have Mick clearly going out of his way in the RS article to make sure everyone knows Keith means nothing more to him than just somebody he works with whom he has no affection for and would never consider to be like family.

Does it really matter anymore? Do we take Jagger's recent comments in RS as writ in stone? (That's the way it seems to be going at this point in time, perhaps not forever)

Date: May 8, 2013 22:45

It's pretty simple, (or is it?) they are getting along well enough to go to rehearsals, do cover shoots, and perform together on stage, but may not be getting along well enough to actually consider spending time alone with each other creating new music.

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 8, 2013 22:52

corriecas
maybe the audiences in the states dont get them fired up enough.
saw some videos, but its like all people are on drugs. Lame reactions, not much energy.

Jeroen

I've seen the Stones in many different cities in the US, and a few in Europe
and South America. The Philly audience's in the the US were great as were some in Europe, but Argentina is the best by far. The US audiences are too busy fighting
over whether it's ok to stand up or if you have to sit down.....

Date: May 8, 2013 23:06

Once the tour is officially "in the books" it will be then (and only then) that we get our answer as to what the state of Mick and Keith's relationship truly is. If they never come together to write a new Stones album then the so called "healing" never did truly take place. It's still fun to look for "signs" though.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 23:14

They're like Gilbert and Sullivan. A great team who grew apart from Sullivan's pretenses that his art was being held back by Gilbert's musical populism, which Gilbert resented, while the fans only wanted to hear their work together.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 9, 2013 00:49

TeddyB1018
They're like Gilbert and Sullivan. A great team who grew apart from Sullivan's pretenses that his art was being held back by Gilbert's musical populism, which Gilbert resented, while the fans only wanted to hear their work together.
same with Abbott and Costello. Costello wanted to be cutting edge, but Abbott just wanted to do Whos on First and the other warhorses. In the end, it did them in.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home