Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Muddy Waters: Hard Again
Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: February 26, 2005 20:52

Heard this album for the first time in years. This was a road-music favorite of some of my old bandmates. Outstanding from beginning to end, with assistance from Johnny Winter. "Oh, yeah...ev'rything, ev'rything, ev'rything gonna be awright this mornin...whoooh!"

This one is highly recommended by yours truly.

Re: Muddy Waters: Hard Again
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 26, 2005 21:38

Agreed!

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: February 27, 2005 00:17

ok basplayer, this makes up for rem (just kidding) a great album and a great tour behind it way back when...saw this tour at thr roxy in hollywood...johnny showed up for the 2nd show that night and tore the place down....bassplayer...you ever hear live at the tower theatre with johnny and muddy? johnny opens the show backed by muddy's band and joins in on the 2nd set backing muddy...drop me a line if you want it....hasta

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 27, 2005 12:35

This album thought me most of my blues licks, played it night after night learning all the riffs and solo's. Now Wolf's London Sessions is doing the same.

Mathijs

Posted by: BowieStone ()
Date: February 27, 2005 13:42

Muddy Waters at a near peak.
One of my favorite blues albums of all time.

Date: February 27, 2005 17:30

mathijis your saying how hard again and london sessions gave you a start in a basic eduation on the blues got me to thinking what LP's got me going in a blues direction...they would have to be

from the beginning...bb king ... a double album on the kent label that had all the '50's stuff

jimmy reed live at carnegie hall ...which wasn't really live but another double album of his vee-jay sides

t-bone blues...t-bone walker....a mid-'50's album on atlantic records which found the master revisiting many of his previous hits with an all-star line up of backing muisicians

various chess & checker 45's....bo diddley, muddy waters, little walter, etc. my father had a record shop from '49-'52 in the aliso village area of los angeles, it's directly east of downtown LA just before the boyle heights area...one day when i was about 14. i started looking through a lot of boxes in our garage and found the motherlode...i already had the first stones' albums so this was just nutz!!! after he closed his store he went to work at central ave music which is where these goodies came from i imagine...

this was the basic start up kit for me that has since lead me on my backwards in time journey to all the sources...it was hard at first for my ear to pick up on the real rural primitive late 1920's to early '30's stuff...scratchy sounding vinyl, etc. but with technology cleaning up sources have since adapted...something especially fine to get ahold of now is the rca bluebird multi-disc series "when the sun goes down" (the secret history of rock 'n roll)... it has given me another fine appreciation of long forgotten artists that i now have to track down....blues had a baby!!!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-27 21:46 by rovalle.

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 28, 2005 17:12

Hey blues diggers, one question... I will ask it here and not making an own threat.

I have always neglected Elmore James's "Dust My Broom", because (i) it is one of those things too much covered and played everywhere and being so 'basic', (ii) the version I have it in my old vinyl (All Them Blues) is quite dusty and boring.

BUT

then I got this CD "Devil's Juke Box" with my copy of Uncut (or Mojo?), you know that collection of stuff that influenced the Stones. And there is that absolutely KILLER version of "Dust My Broom"; the nasty and bright guitar slide is just about the hottest recorded piece of guitar art I have ever heard - I can so easily understand the inspired young Brians and Keiths go crazy for this sort of stuff - and all the dramatical and dynamic solos of "I Wanna Be Your Man" and "Sympathy For The Devil" make sense. The inspiration is absolutely there.

So my question is: which version of the song is that one (I have heard that Elmore did a few of them). What is the source? Is there more that SOUNDING Elmore James stuff available?

- Doxa

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 28, 2005 17:37

Great Disc. Rock Me really kicks as does Little School Girl.

Date: February 28, 2005 17:51

Rorty Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------

> So my question is: which version of the song is
> that one (I have heard that Elmore did a few of
> them). What is the source? Is there more that
> SOUNDING Elmore James stuff available?
>
> - Doxa
>

The Sky is Crying: The best introduction for Elmore James, with the Stones related songs: The sun is shining / Look on Yonder Wall / I Need you / It Hurts me too and also Dust my Broom

Rhino records (R271190)

Date: February 28, 2005 18:48

Doxa,
I agree with Potted Shrimp. I have a number of orginal recordings (10" vinyls) by Elmore James. He did cut Dust My Broom a few times. I have a copy with horns and without (which I like the best).

YOu can't go wrong with "Blues Masters" release of Elmore James. Get some Jimmy Reed as well.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 28, 2005 19:21

the re-issue (from '04) has bonus cuts on it too - same goes for the other Blue Sky Muddy records. Great albums - all of 'em.

Posted by: jack_daniels ()
Date: February 28, 2005 21:23

Potted Shrimp Wrote:
> Rorty Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
>
> So my question is: which version of the song
> is that one (I have heard that Elmore did a few
> of them). What is the source? Is there more
> that SOUNDING Elmore James stuff available?
>
>
> The Sky is Crying: The best introduction for
> Elmore James, with the Stones related songs: The
> sun is shining / Look on Yonder Wall / I Need you
> / It Hurts me too and also Dust my Broom
>
> Rhino records (R271190)
>

The version on The Skye is Crying sounds a little different to me then the one on "Devil's Juke Box" (Uncut ). Or am i imagening thingssmiling smiley)

Like this thread by the way. In the seventies I was also hooked on the blues, then mainly John Mayall, Allman Brothers, Derek & The Dominoes, Eric Clapton, and so on... Then the Stones took over. In the last few years however I "discovered" the bluesroots of these english bluesrevivalists again.
So now I am collecting the original blues titles (and not only the ones where they play together with their "younger" succcessors like John Lee Hooker with Carlos Santana, Bonnie Rait, and so on)

And you just gave me some new titles to look for smiling smiley) Keep up the good work smiling smiley

If you're interested in what i my bluestravels so far, just look here: [home.planet.nl]

I'm just a Monkey Man

home.planet.nl/~verm6412/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-28 21:24 by jack_daniels.

Date: March 1, 2005 04:15

FOR ALL YOU ELMORE LOVERS

[www.novia.net]

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: March 1, 2005 10:34

Thanks guys for the tips!

You know, I got into blues at the time I discovered the Stones (early 80's); so it was via them (very classical, right?..), and there was that kind of blues revival at the time (Stevie Ray Vaughan, Robert Cray, Duke Robillard etc.) I got myself a small but nice collection of blues vinyls, but I think by the end of the 80's I was more or less bored with the whole thing (The Stones too, by the way..) But lately I've been discovered the whole great world of blues again.. I've read a Muddy Waters biography, a Robert Johnson biography, bought that DVD Blues Odyssey by Bill Wyman (but there was way too much bull shitting and way too little real stuff) and tried to find some interesting, top quality blues CDs.

And about the topic of this threat: yes, Hard Again is a great, top quality blues album, including the best material that Muddy has recorded since his classical 50's Chess stuff. A really good album for educational purposes, too...

- Doxa

Date: March 1, 2005 15:59

hey rorty...if you are interested in the real s**t on dvd...get american folk blues festival vols 1,2 & 3....simply amazing perfprmances by a who's-who of american bluesmen from the early-mid '60's taken from german tv broadcasts (!!!)
this leaves any thing i've seen on dvd in the dust

Date: March 1, 2005 16:06

rovalle Wrote:
> hey rorty...if you are interested in the real s**t
> on dvd...get american folk blues festival vols 1,2
> & 3....simply amazing perfprmances by a
> who's-who of american bluesmen from the early-mid
> '60's taken from german tv broadcasts (!!!)
> this leaves any thing i've seen on dvd in the dust

Agreed Rovalle! I only have pt. I and II. They are the best DVD's I own. Better than any Stones stuff on DVD. Didn't know pt. III was out!

Date: March 1, 2005 18:10

Ladies and gentlemen,
I was mistaken. I was writing about another great Muddy disc....I'm Ready! This is a companion to Hard Again. A must have

Date: March 1, 2005 20:55

and don't forget the reissued live epic label (blue sky) disc with the extra's from the same time as i'm ready and hard again

Date: March 1, 2005 23:51

Does anybody know MW's Woodstock Album??

I'm just a Monkey Man

Posted by: bassplayer617 ()
Date: March 2, 2005 00:00

Thanks for turning this into a general blues thread, guys. Apart from the old, old stuff like the Robert Johnson collection, I've heard some other vintage material cortesy of various public libraries. Someone else I like is Bukka White, someone else who inspired later second-generation rockers like Led Zeppelin.

Speaking of second-generation rockers, "Hard Again"'s live sound no doubt influenced Eric Clapton when he did "From the Cradle". I like that one, too.

Date: March 2, 2005 00:27

jack_daniels Wrote:
> Does anybody know MW's Woodstock Album??
>
Yes....do you have a question about it?

jack_daniels Wrote:
> Does anybody know MW's Woodstock Album??
>
Yes....do you have a question about it?

Posted by: Rockman ()

Yeah Bukka played some great blues and his classic material from the 30's to around 1940 is up there with Robert Johnson's recordings.

Bukka White The Complete Bukka White Columbia/Legacy CK 52782.

Also well worth checking out

Frank Stokes - Creator of the Memphis Blues Yazoo 1056
Blind Willie McTell - The Definitive Columbia/Legacy C3K 53234

ROCKMAN

Date: March 2, 2005 01:35

Something else that is a must have is anything you can find from Leroy Carr and Scrapper Blackwell. Most of their stuff is out of print but you can probably get it on eBAy. I just picked up 2 discs from Germany that are phenominal.
Clapton has covered them a few times

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: March 2, 2005 01:55

A very good CD of Leroy Carr material was reissued late last year covering his years 1928 - 1935. Not complete but a great set

The Best of Leroy Carr - Whiskey Is My Habit, Good Women Is All I Crave
Columbia/Legacy C2K 86989.

Also track down a copy of Escaping The Delta by Elijah Wood which goes into detail of why Carr's music was such a strong influence on the young Robert Johnson.

ROCKMAN

Date: March 2, 2005 19:24

T&A Wrote:
> jack_daniels Wrote:
> --------------------------------------------------
> -----
> > Does anybody know MW's Woodstock Album??
> >
> Yes....do you have a question about it?

As we are 'rating' old blues albums. How is this one compared to e.g. "Hard Again"?

I'm just a Monkey Man

Date: March 2, 2005 20:01

> > -----
> > > Does anybody know MW's Woodstock
> Album??
> > >
> > Yes....do you have a question about it?
>
> As we are 'rating' old blues albums. How is this
> one compared to e.g. "Hard Again"?
>
>
>

Good album (his last for Chess) - but not as good as any of the Blue Sky albums. Features the likes of Butterfield, Levon Helm and assorted other "Woodstock" figures - has a nice duet with Pinetop on Kansas City. Worth checking out, just not quite as strong as the ones that proceeded it.

Date: March 2, 2005 23:05

T&A Wrote:

> Good album (his last for Chess) - but not as good
> as any of the Blue Sky albums. Features the likes
> of Butterfield, Levon Helm and assorted other
> "Woodstock" figures - has a nice duet with Pinetop
> on Kansas City. Worth checking out, just not
> quite as strong as the ones that proceeded it.

Tnxs. this let's me know where to look/listen to first. It's amazing how many albums the likes of Muddy Waters, Jl Hooker and so on have made.

I'm just a Monkey Man

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1849
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home