Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Stripped Companion
Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 26, 2005 06:47

Don't know who is responsible for putting this together, but this really is the best Stones release since that much under-rated album Dirty Work. Allright I know that's a controversial remark, but anyway the best since Tatto.

The Amsterdamn stuff is great, especially Gimme Shelter. I'm a Wood-hater, Taylor-lover, but I think this is the best GS version ever. Keith and Ronnie work the "weaving" thing better on this tune than anything else (except maybe, Hold Back!)

Why did they relegate Storm, On Top of Me, etc. to extra status??? Ditto some of the Voodoo Brew/Stew stuff? Makes you wonder about our boys' decision-making process. What else is "in the can"? B2B outtakes? What gems are out there?

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Re: Stripped Companion
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 26, 2005 09:46

I haven't heard any Gimmie Shelter versions to touch the original or the live 72-73 versions which take on a different feel. The versions i have heard in more recent years are all a very pale imitation of the original despite Lisa spirited singing.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 26, 2005 10:52

Nah Edward, gotta disagree with ya here, on many songs the Stones come alive by transforming a studio classic into an on stage barb burner. That was the glory of many of the perfomances with MT. No version of JJF has surpassed / equaled 1969 tour. However, the studio version of GS is nearly the most perfect rock song written so the closer that it comes to the original done live, the better IMO.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 26, 2005 13:42

The Amsterdam Paradiso version of Gimme Shelter is indeed the best ever!!!!!
Edward you listen to this one, it's awesome!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 26, 2005 14:31

Where can i get hold of that version? it certainly sounds like it's worth a good listen.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 26, 2005 14:33

Stripped Companion is a fun bootleg
that the smart money would've
released as a bonus disc!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1858
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home