Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16
Re: Oakland May 5 Stones show live updates
Posted by: swiss ()
Date: May 8, 2013 08:55

Click here for more Oakland photos!

So...Sunday night was my first Rolling Stones concert ever. No fooling. As some of you know, I've been a Stones fan since I was 3 or 4, but never attended a show (for various reasons).

As you can imagine, especially with the possibility that this would be my first and last show, I was incredibly off-the-charts excited. For me, it's not an understatment to say it was akin to going to Mecca. Truly. Or to the Cicstine Chapel. Rather that a nice night out, going to a show (which I do fairly often). This was a dream of a lifetime to actually see them, and see them up close---the way I do with pretty much every show I see at clubs and theatres (I haven't been to an arena/stadium show since I was 20).

I was fortunate to have a great vantage point, as you'll see. To see the photos you don't need a Facebook account. I recommend clicking on one thumbnail to get to the big version. Once you've clicked one photo, just click on that photo, and it will advance to the next and next, if you're interested.

They were AMAZING! Inspiring. Literally transformational. I'm still beautifully buzzed. To be that close and, in that enormous electric energy that Mick draws up and serves back was like nothing I have felt/breathed/witnessed before -- to rick cliche, it was a once in a lifetime experience.

From the Tom Waits duet with Mick Jagger, to "guest" Mick Taylor playing on "Midnight Rambler," to seeing epic songs performed live, like "Dead Flowers," and "Gimme Shelter," my favorite song of all time by anyone. All of them are healthy and happy. At one point Keith winked and grinned at me, and then hopped away, smiling. I'll never wash these eyes again. I didn't get that photo. Ah well.

This is a camera I recently picked up at Best Buy for $77 -- plus, it was hard to stay still and not dance -- so the quality of the photos isn't the best, but I think many of them reflect the exuberance of the show. I am still aglow smiling smiley
- swiss

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 09:07 by swiss.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:11

swiss

This is a camera I recently picked up at Best Buy for $77 -- plus, it was hard to stay still and not dance -- so the quality of the photos isn't the best, but I think many of them reflect the exuberance of the show. I am still aglow smiling smiley
- swiss

nice job with the photos Susan, they are really good. Glad you got to see them live.
I saw them twice. VL tour and Bridges. I know what you mean about being close to that energy they bring.

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:13

Wow Swiss, those are some GREAT Photos you took!

I am SO GLAD you got some of Mick Taylor too!!!

I'd LOVE to share a couple of your MT pics if possible, can I email you?

-Ed

Date: May 8, 2013 09:17

three16
swiss

- swiss

nice job with the photos Susan, they are really good. Glad you got to see them live.
I saw them twice. VL tour and Bridges. I know what you mean about being close to that energy they bring.

Thank you, three16 smiling smiley I did my best to balance being in the moment as a mad-dancing whooping singing participant and being able to snap a few images. Glad you were able to experience them 2x. Will you be able to make any shows this time?

Date: May 8, 2013 09:21

gripweed

-Ed

hi Ed - thank you and for sure! smiling smiley You can access the photos from Facebook. Easiest for now, but if you would like the email for files I will do that. The archivist in me thinks to ask you to credit: Susan Doran, May 5, 2013, that'd be swell!

- swiss

Posted by: gripweed ()
Date: May 8, 2013 09:30

swiss
gripweed

-Ed

hi Ed - thank you and for sure! smiling smiley You can access the photos from Facebook. Easiest for now, but if you would like the email for files I will do that. The archivist in me thinks to ask you to credit: Susan Doran, May 5, 2013, that'd be swell!

- swiss

Thanks Susan,

I JUST sent you an email

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 8, 2013 10:24

Hanns Rainsch

Has anyone who attended the show noticed this guy? I can't imagine something like that in Europe...

If this man really knew the Name he has on his jacket, he wouldn't be acting this way. I hope he doesn't one day hear the words, "Depart from Me; I never knew you."

Who is "the accuser of the brethren"?? Just some food for thought.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: May 8, 2013 10:49

What an idiot...

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 8, 2013 10:49

Don't enjoy this one at all, intro failed.

Little energy, too slow IMO.

Light years away from the studio version off course and live version with Taylor (magic ones in 1972 and 1973) and Ronnie (1978) : that was wild rock'n roll with a real piano player.

Edited 4 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 10:56 by roby.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 8, 2013 11:02

roby

Light years away from the studio version off course and live version with Taylor (magic ones in 1972 and 1973) and Ronnie (1978) : that was wild rock'n roll with a real piano player.

hopefully there is a better recording than this available of the oakland show. it was great.

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 8, 2013 11:06

swiss

What a great picture!

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: May 8, 2013 11:41

Swiss, thanks for photos and review! Didn't know it was your first Stones concert - wow! I was thinking of writing a piece of that some time ago - about the first personal Rolling Stones concert, which is an experience cannot be repeated. Especially if that had been waited for a long time. For me it took some 13/14 years of deep fanhood to make that dream come true, and I had lost my hope alraedy a few times, but when it finally was realized, there was so much invested in that experience (the band surpassed all my expectations, and I also had a real fear that they are not that good...). But you probablly surpassed that experience... I can easily understand why for someone that experience might come to be an addiction, but at least none of my later experiences cannot be compared to the one where I lost my "virginity".

The point is that no matter how much some songs are called "war horses" and people are tired listening to them et al, one cannot describe by words the first damn time when you hear "Brown Sugar", "Tumbling Dice", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", etc. played live in the front of your eyes by The Rolling Stones. It is an earthbreaking experience - then one really knows what that band and those songs are all about. So never mind my criticism of them being a "nostalgia act" etc. one thing that truely counts and make their "existence" justified, is to offer people the possibilty to have that experience. In a way, I think Jagger largely has that kind of "virgin" crowd in his mind, which keeps him and the band fresh in delivering their old hits. Whatever they play like, they tend to sound fresh and immediate - here and now, straight to the point, like it is the first time they play the tune - or the very last time they are going to play it. I think that approach is a wonder of its own.

So I am really happy for you, swiss, and in a funny way, a bit jealous for you...winking smiley

- Doxa

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 11:50 by Doxa.

Date: May 8, 2013 11:47

sonomastone
roby

Light years away from the studio version off course and live version with roll with a real piano player.

hopefully there is a better recording than this available of the oakland show. it was great.

I know, but I'm talking about interpretation quality & intensity, not about recording ... This Oakland version is bland and sanitized.

Date: May 8, 2013 11:50

Doxa
Swiss, thanks for photos and review! Didn't know it was your first Stones concert - wow! I was thinking of writing a piece of that some time ago - about the first personal Rolling Stones concert, which is an experience cannot be repeated. Especially if that had been waited for a long time. For me it took some 13/14 years of deep fanhood to make that dream come true, and I had lost my hope alraedy a few times, but when it finally was realized, there was so much invested in that experience (the band surpassed all my expectations, and I also had a real fear that they are not that good...). But you probablly surpassed that experience... I can easily understand why for someone that experience might come to be an addection, but at least none of my later experiences cannot be compared to the one where I lost my "virginity".

The point is that no matter how much some songs are called "war horses" and people are tired listening to them et al, one cannot describe by words the first damn time when you hear "Brown Sugar", "Tumbling Dice", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", etc. played live in the front of your eyes by The Rolling Stones. It is an earthbreaking experience - then one really knows what that band and those songs are all about. So never mind my criticism of them being a "nostalgia act" etc. one thing that truely counts and make their "existence" justified, is to offer people the possibilty to have that experience. In a way, I think Jagger largely has that kind of "virgin" crowd in his mind, which keeps him and the band fresh in delivering their old hits. Whatever they sound like, they tend to sound fresh and immediate - here and now, straight to the point, like it is the first time they play the tune - or the very last time they are going to play it. I think that approach is a wonder of its own.

So I am really happy for you, swiss, and in a funny way, a bit jealous for you...winking smiley

- Doxa

Well said! i felt incredible the first time i saw them in 1989. Then I didn't go to another show again, because 89 was so perfect, and I knew they were a greatest hits band. I was still a huge fan, downloading boots, following their every move, etc, but I didn't want to break the memory of that amazing first concert.

Something changed though, and I went last Sunday, taking a couple of close friends who'd never seen them before, and I saw them for the first time in 24 years. I was blown away all over again. Thought they sounded better in fact.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 8, 2013 12:41

I have now listened to the entire Oakland show (2nd source on Dime, fabulous sound) with headphones and I really enjoyed it! A few pretty rough patches though as mentioned in the sfweekly review, especially the beginning of "Gimme Shelter", Keith did seem like he was having trouble hearing himself...it's really ragged but it does have more "swing" than his intros in 2012, so that's a plus.

A bit disappointed in ER too, Mick's falsetto wasn't as good as in LA I found and it was a bit plodding.

Still, it sounds like it was a blast!

Date: May 8, 2013 12:44

roby
sonomastone
roby

Light years away from the studio version off course and live version with roll with a real piano player.

I know, but I'm talking about interpretation quality & intensity, not about recording ... This Oakland version is bland and sanitized.

I meant that you might appreciate it better with a better quality recording. What I heard in the arena was much better, and the crowd really responded after losing a lot of energy earlier in the show. There was no lack of intensity in the hall. Keith's guitar is rather quiet in the version you posted, i think that's a big part of the difference in perception.

As for your comment about the piano playing - I totally agree. I couldn't hear it very well in the arena and have to say, I liked it better like that. Not a Chuck fan. His job seems to be to be Mick's enforcer on the rest of the band?

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 13:10 by sonomastone.

Posted by: rollingon ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:30

Why the hell Chuck Leavell is so visible in the stage???

He is not a member of the Rolling Stones...

He should be located somewhere at the corner of the stage, not at the centre.
(so that nobody could really see him)

And he should play the real piano, not some keybords.

I have never really understood his role in the band.

Now it seems he is some kind of conductor of the band, I don't like that.

Date: May 8, 2013 13:34

rollingon

My uninformed opinion is that he is the guy Mick uses to keep in line the (ahem) musicians who won't listen to Mick. Surely he can't be there for his musicianship.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 8, 2013 13:53

rollingon

It's a good thing you didn't witness the Bondy rehearsals then because it was far "worse" than what we see on stage, he was the goto man there, everyone looking at him and huddling around him to figure out the changes before they started playing a song or when something went wrong...but it's ok, that's the way they operate now and they don't seem to have a problem with it (didn't try to hide it from us), better than having no Stones at all, or some sloppy(er) performances ;-)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-08 13:54 by gotdablouse.

Posted by: runrudolph ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:05

whitem8
BV fantastic picture! Congrats. Very cool.

where can i find the picture.
Jeroen

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:14

Fantastic photos Swiss and what a great report! Truly a once in a lifetime experience, it sounds like you had a perfect evening.

Thanks for sharing! smiling smiley

Posted by: Spud ()
Date: May 8, 2013 16:23

Doxa
Swiss, thanks for photos and review! Didn't know it was your first Stones concert - wow! I was thinking of writing a piece of that some time ago - about the first personal Rolling Stones concert, which is an experience cannot be repeated. Especially if that had been waited for a long time. For me it took some 13/14 years of deep fanhood to make that dream come true, and I had lost my hope alraedy a few times, but when it finally was realized, there was so much invested in that experience (the band surpassed all my expectations, and I also had a real fear that they are not that good...). But you probablly surpassed that experience... I can easily understand why for someone that experience might come to be an addiction, but at least none of my later experiences cannot be compared to the one where I lost my "virginity".

The point is that no matter how much some songs are called "war horses" and people are tired listening to them et al, one cannot describe by words the first damn time when you hear "Brown Sugar", "Tumbling Dice", "Jumpin' Jack Flash", etc. played live in the front of your eyes by The Rolling Stones. It is an earthbreaking experience - then one really knows what that band and those songs are all about. So never mind my criticism of them being a "nostalgia act" etc. one thing that truely counts and make their "existence" justified, is to offer people the possibilty to have that experience. In a way, I think Jagger largely has that kind of "virgin" crowd in his mind, which keeps him and the band fresh in delivering their old hits. Whatever they play like, they tend to sound fresh and immediate - here and now, straight to the point, like it is the first time they play the tune - or the very last time they are going to play it. I think that approach is a wonder of its own.

- Doxa

I had to smile when reading Swiss's post too. It was very touching.
I've never forgotten my first show...and the scores of shows over the following years, [different in many ways though they often were], have still delivered that "religious" experience that no other gig can provide.

I've often wondered whether some of the "nay sayers" on these pages actually get it...and I'm just thankful that I do

Posted by: angee ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:19

Swiss, I'm so happy for you, at last experiencing your first show!!
What a great report, followed by the inspired musings of Doxa.

I'm going to look at all your shots, but for now, could I use that Mick and Keith photo,
credited as you ask, of course?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:32

Spud
Doxa

- Doxa

I had to smile when reading Swiss's post too. It was very touching.
I've never forgotten my first show...and the scores of shows over the following years, [different in many ways though they often were], have still delivered that "religious" experience that no other gig can provide.

I've often wondered whether some of the "nay sayers" on these pages actually get it...and I'm just thankful that I do

I'm Happy for swiss/Susan too and it reminds me of my own first Stonesshow:
(written in English) [keessiedeg.wordpress.com]

I'm glad Taylor was on all songssmiling smiley

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:35

Swiss,

YOU ROCK!

Thanks for sharing the pictures, and your experience, with us here.
Thank you.
Thank you, kindly.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 8, 2013 17:38

Great pictures swiss and so glad you had a great time at your first Rolling Stones gig.

Hope you get to see them again. smileys with beer

Date: May 8, 2013 17:39

Nice one, Swiss - are you now tempted to go down to LA or over to Vegas for another show?!

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: May 8, 2013 18:42

Happy for you Swiss!

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 8, 2013 20:15

Wow Susan! You did well! And your first show at that! Thanks for sharing the great pics!

Date: May 8, 2013 20:33

Hum, if you say so... Sorry,for me, it's purely night and day ! Nothing to see with the yesteryear rage... gone now.

sonomastone
roby
sonomastone
roby

I meant that you might appreciate it better with a better quality recording. What I heard in the arena was much better, and the crowd really responded after losing a lot of energy earlier in the show. There was no lack of intensity in the hall. Keith's guitar is rather quiet in the version you posted, i think that's a big part of the difference in perception.

As for your comment about the piano playing - I totally agree. I couldn't hear it very well in the arena and have to say, I liked it better like that. Not a Chuck fan. His job seems to be to be Mick's enforcer on the rest of the band?

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 15 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1942
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home