Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 11 of 16
Re: Oakland May 5 Stones show live updates
Posted by: firebird ()
Date: May 6, 2013 19:58

laertisflash
...But IMO what counts is that people wait until the last minute to take a tolerable priced ticket and see the Stones...

Thats nice for people living in the area where the shows happen, but if you have to pay flights, hotels and so on it's a different story.

The other thing is that othe promoters will monitor the situation closely. If AEG loses lots of money, no other promoter will give the Stones what they currently ask as guaranteed pay. Which means no fall tour, no european tour, no whatever tour...

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:03

flacnvinyl
All Down The Line sound like Keith was barely in the sound mix! Just a bad angle?

Max, if someone wanted to get serious about it, they could just use the ustream app and broadcast the whole show live from their seat. It simultaneously records too....

Just the angle. He was quite audible in the mix. He did a great job.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:13

kleermaker
GRNRBITW
tomcat2006
Looks like a great show, wish I could have been there!

but did it sound like a great show? ...that's really the key to the show...

Back in the day we didn't talk about 'a show' but about 'a concert'. I don't need a show, I need a concert.

What about McCartney's Rock Show at the Concertgebouw?? That was back when there was long hair at the Madison Square and rock'n'roll at the Hollywood Bowl mind you.

Posted by: desertblues68 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:19

Thank you as I was born in 68 and in Italy I missed their creative peak years. I finally saw them on 25 11 12 at the O2 and fought they were magnificent. Going again in Hyde Park on 06 07. Kind of regret not seeing them before but did not manage due to work and other commitment. Have plenty of DVDs tough.

Posted by: LSTNT ()
Date: May 6, 2013 20:31

Wow, Matt Clifford on french horn for YCAGWYW.. When was the last time he played with them?

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:17

25/08/1990 ? [www.setlist.fm]

So who played the French horn previously, Tim Ries ?

Posted by: Riffbuk ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:20

This photos were taken by my good friend Jim Crowley, and they so far the best of the tour..Thanks Jim!

jimicrowley.com/rollingstones.html

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 21:52 by Riffbuk.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:35

lovely photos. thanks much.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:41

roby
The worst for me is SFTD... and no need to come back in 1989... Can we still speak about a Keith solo ????

2013. Awful. I love this legend but come on !

andrewt
DoomandGloom
The videos I've seen from last night were great. After all the jokes about Chuck here I've really "keyed" on to him. He does a great job...AS far as ticket prices, it's unfair for those who payed triple for the same seats others get at a discount but I won't lose sleep over it. If they sell out or not it's not my problem as long as they continue to play well I'm psyched.

Midnight Rambler was horrid. Keith doesn't even solo on Happy an anymore for crying out loud or even slash away at the rhythm, the song is dullsville now, some pedal steel licks from Ronnie and that's it.

I can't believe it's come down to showing an '89 video to remind people of better days but here you go

Happy '89

Happy Oakland

[www.youtube.com]

Little Red Rooster was a waste of Tom Waits and paint-by-numbers blues.
All Down The Line was allright, though.

IMHO Keef has not been playing consistenly good since the BtB and No Security tours. He hs only gotten more inconsistent with each subsequent tour but it comes with the territory now.

In the 2006 video looks like he is playing the same black ES335 he gave to Buddy Guy as a present in the Shine A Light video.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: May 6, 2013 21:47

firebird
laertisflash
...But IMO what counts is that people wait until the last minute to take a tolerable priced ticket and see the Stones...

Thats nice for people living in the area where the shows happen, but if you have to pay flights, hotels and so on it's a different story.

The other thing is that othe promoters will monitor the situation closely. If AEG loses lots of money, no other promoter will give the Stones what they currently ask as guaranteed pay. Which means no fall tour, no european tour, no whatever tour...

That's now the big problem - everybody living in the area will now wait untill last minute to buy tickets at the cheap price level. Had they been more reasonable in price - say 100 USD, 150 USD and 175 USD - they would have sold everything, but now it is widely known not to buy the expensive tickets - there will be affordable tickets later on.

A pity their management is so bad because their music and performance is wonderful. Not as powerful as in 1969-1981, but these guys are 70 years old and at their age, nobody is better. Beach Boys and similar have been a disaster.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:05

oldschool
roby
The worst for me is SFTD... and no need to come back in 1989... Can we still speak about a Keith solo ????

andrewt
DoomandGloom
The videos I've seen from last night were great. After all the jokes about Chuck here I've really "keyed" on to him. He does a great job...AS far as ticket prices, it's unfair for those who payed triple for the same seats others get at a discount but I won't lose sleep over it. If they sell out or not it's not my problem as long as they continue to play well I'm psyched.

Midnight Rambler was horrid. Keith doesn't even solo on Happy an anymore for crying out loud or even slash away at the rhythm, the song is dullsville now, some pedal steel licks from Ronnie and that's it.

I can't believe it's come down to showing an '89 video to remind people of better days but here you go

Happy '89

Happy Oakland

[www.youtube.com]

IMHO Keef has not been playing consistenly good since the BtB and No Security tours. He hs only gotten more inconsistent with each subsequent tour but it comes with the territory now.

In the 2006 video looks like he is playing the same black ES335 he gave to Buddy Guy as a present in the Shine A Light video.
Well I hear ya, I'm always ready to give him a pass. He is after all the greatest guitarist in the world even though his solos are now completely disjointed. Here in 2013 I refuse to nit pick. First time I saw Keith was 1977 at RFK he could hardly play that day. Then The New Barbarians at The Garden which was a disgrace, Live Aide with Dylan and Wood after they partied for 2 days prior and Dylan spoke in tongues... I finally saw him play well at a few Steel Wheels shows, then years later he embarrassed himself at The Super Bowl. All part of his legend, I love him, I can tell what he means to play even when he doesn't execute. Really he's a songwriter first and a hell of a guy. I can tell you first hand, he actually does practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:06 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:12

Sorry you got a bad Keith show in Oakland. I got a great Keith show in LA. Best I've heard him since No Security.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:13

Here is a realistic, sincere and objective analysis. Times waits for no one. But yes, he is still a @#$%&' rock legend.

DoomandGloom
oldschool
roby

andrewt
DoomandGloom

Happy '89

Happy Oakland

[www.youtube.com]

Well I hear ya, I'm always ready to give him a pass. He is after all the greatest guitarist in the world even though his solos are now completely disjointed. Here in 2013 I refuse to nit pick. First time I saw Keith was 1977 at RFK he could hardly play that day. Then The New Barbarians at The Garden which was a disgrace, Live Aide with Dylan and Wood after they partied for 2 days prior and Dylan spoke in tongues... I finally saw him play well at a few Steel Wheels shows, then years later he embarrassed himself at The Super Bowl. All part of his legend, I love him, I can tell what he means to play even when he doesn't execute. Really he's a songwriter first and a hell of a guy. I can tell you first hand, he actually does practice.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:14 by roby.

Date: May 6, 2013 22:17

In the 2006 video looks like he is playing the same black ES335 he gave to Buddy Guy as a present in the Shine A Light video.I think he's had 3 of those including the one played on Exile, I don't know which is which. Now he's also got a white one, very rare. He deserves the best after all he is very serious about his technique.

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:20

More pics from Oakland

Carlitos
Tenerife

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:20

DoomandGloom
In the 2006 video looks like he is playing the same black ES335 he gave to Buddy Guy as a present in the Shine A Light video.I think he's had 3 of those including the one played on Exile, I don't know which is which. Now he's also got a white one, very rare. He deserves the best after all he is very serious about his technique.

Are you crazy??? Do you for real think he would give away his original black 1959 355? The one he gave to BG in SAL was a much much cheaper Guild.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:45 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: May 6, 2013 22:22

DoomandGloom

The black 1959 is a 355, the white is a 345, big difference. He don't even play 335:s on stage.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:25 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Date: May 6, 2013 22:23

JumpinJeppeFlash
DoomandGloom

Are you crazy??? Do you for real think he would give away his original black 59 355? The one he gave to BG in SAL was a much much cheaper Gretsch.
I was answering someone else just sloppy typing, and yes Keith doesn't just give guitars like that away. Is the one he uses now the Exile one??

Posted by: carlitosbaez ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:31

Date: May 6, 2013 22:31

DoomandGloom
JumpinJeppeFlash
DoomandGloom

Are you crazy??? Do you for real think he would give away his original black 59 355? The one he gave to BG in SAL was a much much cheaper Gretsch.
I was answering someone else just sloppy typing, and yes Keith doesn't just give guitars like that away. Is the one he uses now the Exile one??

Read and learn:
[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:40

24FPS
Sorry you got a bad Keith show in Oakland. I got a great Keith show in LA. Best I've heard him since No Security.

Keith was incredible in Oakland. His sympathy solo was weak. Don't judge 2 1/2 hours by one solo.

Posted by: oldschool ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:41

JumpinJeppeFlash
DoomandGloom

Are you crazy??? Do you for real think he would give away his original black 1959 355? The one he gave to BG in SAL was a much much cheaper Gretsch.

I stand corrected but I found in another thread it was actually a Dark green Guild Starfire V/Deluxe not a Gretsch.

[www.iorr.org]

Date: May 6, 2013 22:42

oldschool
JumpinJeppeFlash
DoomandGloom

Are you crazy??? Do you for real think he would give away his original black 1959 355? The one he gave to BG in SAL was a much much cheaper Gretsch.

I stand corrected but I found in another thread it was actually a Dark green Guild Starfire V/Deluxe not a Gretsch.

[www.iorr.org]

That's correct, it was a Guild, probably bought by Pierre for that gig at the Beacon.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-06 22:44 by JumpinJeppeFlash.

Posted by: fuwa ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:46

Long John Stoner
The reviews for the Oakland show are starting to come in. Apparently not everyone agrees it was a great show. It sounds like this reviewer isn't predisposed to like the Stones anyway.

[www.mercurynews.com]

Read the comments section to his review. Apparently the commenters disagree with his review. I was there. It was a great show.

Posted by: lem motlow ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:46

Woz
They filled every seat by show time.

stop saying that.you're supposed to tell us it was 1/3 full,the stones have really messed up this time and its the end of the band.

thats the new mantra, now get with the program.by the way, if you thought they sounded good and you had fun- keep that to yourself too.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 6, 2013 22:59

"If AEG loses lots of money, no other promoter will give the Stones what they currently ask as guaranteed pay. Which means no fall tour, no european tour, no whatever tour..."

Firebird, i tried to argue that, by these ticket prices, even after the $85 offering the two gigs have been more profitable than what they would be by a "regular" ticket stragedy. I don't defend the current stragedy and have explained the reasons, but that’s another story. Speaking about money, honestly, i cannot see AEG losing lots of money, given the fact that, according to reports here, the tickets for some upcoming gigs (like Philly) are selling clearly faster, before – i guess- whatever massive prices waning.

In addition, i ’m sure that the Stones will be pretty flexible as for their “guaranteed payment”, IF they need to. Probably they ’ll not jeopardize the opportunity of proceeding the tour.

Come on guys… I remember the same discussion after ABB tour: On the tour the Stones attracted 4,7 million people (not including Rio’s free concert), but some folks were expressing their fears about the future of the relation between Stones and promoters… When? Just after the end of the second highest grossing tour of all time! Unbelievable…

Speaking about the current band’s performances and judging from the videos we have here (thanks Green Lady!), their general level is amazing. I can’t wait for the european tour’s leg!

Posted by: CBII ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:00

fuwa
Long John Stoner
The reviews for the Oakland show are starting to come in. Apparently not everyone agrees it was a great show. It sounds like this reviewer isn't predisposed to like the Stones anyway.

[www.mercurynews.com]

Read the comments section to his review. Apparently the commenters disagree with his review. I was there. It was a great show.

And that's the bottom line. If the majority of the people were entertained and happy when they walked out of the show THAT'S what counts. You cannot please everyone all the time.

CBII

Posted by: MKjan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:01

lem motlow
Woz
They filled every seat by show time.

stop saying that.you're supposed to tell us it was 1/3 full,the stones have really messed up this time and its the end of the band.

thats the new mantra, now get with the program.by the way, if you thought they sounded good and you had fun- keep that to yourself too.

Yes, I was the only one there.

Posted by: carlostones10 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:18

Riffbuk
This photos were taken by my good friend Jim Crowley, and they so far the best of the tour..Thanks Jim!

jimicrowley.com/rollingstones.html

Amazing shots, Rolando. Thank for send Jimi´s pictures for us, too.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 6, 2013 23:27

CBII
fuwa
Long John Stoner

[www.mercurynews.com]

And that's the bottom line. If the majority of the people were entertained and happy when they walked out of the show THAT'S what counts. You cannot please everyone all the time.

it takes 60 votes in the senate now, you know. the times are a-changin'....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...678910111213141516Next
Current Page: 11 of 16

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1792
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home