Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more songs please
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 4, 2013 20:08

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:26 by His Majesty.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: June 4, 2013 20:17

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-18 04:27 by His Majesty.

Posted by: angee ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:17

I'm gonna chime in here and say that 4 songs last night is great for MT!
I feel lucky to have seen him on both Rambler and CYHMK, and his bit on Satisfaction.

Do you all think this topic, and this board have made an impact? It would
appear so, at least some, yes?

~"Love is Strong"~

Posted by: svt22 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 22:21

kleermaker
Pity they didn't include Taylor for Shine A Light during the second Chicago show. This is also from the Fallon Show last year. Howard must have loved it:

That's the way I like him, and the band sounds ok to me.

Posted by: TeddyB1018 ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:21

Man, isn't it great that Mick Taylor is playing Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Midnight Rambler with the Rolling Stones. I mean it. And Midnight Rambler is not an accidental choice. Keith cited it in Crossfire Hurricane as sort of definitive. It used to be a standard, but is unknown by many people now days since it's not a hit played on the radio. So it was a perfect song to feature the close-to Ya's Ya's lineup on. The other two songs being switched in and out are specific, special Mick Taylor performances. As a special guest, he's being treated with respect musically. He's not in the band, he's not playing the whole set, but he's featured with thought and basically allowed to do this thing

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:29

TeddyB1018
Man, isn't it great that Mick Taylor is playing Sway, Can't You Hear Me Knocking and Midnight Rambler with the Rolling Stones. I mean it. And Midnight Rambler is not an accidental choice. Keith cited it in Crossfire Hurricane as sort of definitive. It used to be a standard, but is unknown by many people now days since it's not a hit played on the radio. So it was a perfect song to feature the close-to Ya's Ya's lineup on. The other two songs being switched in and out are specific, special Mick Taylor performances. As a special guest, he's being treated with respect musically. He's not in the band, he's not playing the whole set, but he's featured with thought and basically allowed to do this thing

Can I kiss your cheek, TeddyB1018?

Posted by: Powerage ()
Date: June 4, 2013 23:31

thumbs up
TeddyB1018

Posted by: MisterDDDD ()
Date: June 5, 2013 00:21

thumbs upthumbs up
Powerage
thumbs up
TeddyB1018

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2013 00:50

Here's Sway from Chicago June 3. Best audio available added.

Posted by: alimente ()
Date: June 5, 2013 03:23

kleermaker
Pity they didn't include Taylor for Shine A Light during the second Chicago show. This is also from the Fallon Show last year. Howard must have loved it:

I'm sorry for having to say this, but this is definitely not the Taylor I hear on all those Midnights Ramblers and Can't You Hear Me Knockings this year - with not only a few timing, intonation, melodic construction and even bum notes problems.

On Sway from Chicago 3 he is great, though. It's a pity that the rest of the band is not familiar with the arrangement - which makes this version unlistenable.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 05:05 by alimente.

Posted by: MarkSchneider ()
Date: June 5, 2013 08:11

When Taylor is relaxed and confident... we get this!
Let him play more then!

Posted by: obonpaxis ()
Date: June 5, 2013 08:41

MarkSchneider

Let him play more then!

Arrangement is fine but the tempo is too rushed. Charlie needs to channel his older, weary, 30-yr-old self.

Date: June 5, 2013 09:49

Nothing to say about MJ?

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 09:58 by MarkSchneider.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: June 5, 2013 10:00

obonpaxis
MarkSchneider

Let him play more then!

Arrangement is fine but the tempo is too rushed. Charlie needs to channel his older, weary, 30-yr-old self.

Yes, the tempo is brutally bad - but I'm sure Charlie's not the one responsible for it.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: June 5, 2013 10:19

Sway needs a delicate touch. Seems like they can't handle that on stage. You get the feeling they are hasting through it with no real emotive feeling to it.
Pity, it's a killer song and not a warhorse. Taylor's solo? Give or take...

Date: June 5, 2013 10:31

MarkSchneider
Nothing to say about MJ?

He's doing pretty good, but he's out of it a couple of times.

Date: June 5, 2013 10:54

On Sway MT is in his comfort zone. Not MJ, unfortunately. ("There must be ways..." 0:40). A pain in Jagger's vocal cords. A reason to remove Sway from setlists? sad smiley

2:53 MT's nod at MJ (on the wide screen) for the good timing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 11:18 by MarkSchneider.

Date: June 5, 2013 11:33

MarkSchneider
On Sway MT is in his comfort zone. Not MJ, unfortunately. ("There must be ways..." 0:40). A pain in Jagger's vocal cords. A reason to remove Sway from setlists? sad smiley

2:53 MT's nod at MJ (on the wide screen) for the good timing.

No, because he made that line on the first version..

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: June 5, 2013 13:06

DandelionPowderman
MarkSchneider
Nothing to say about MJ?

He's doing pretty good, but he's out of it a couple of times.

Improved from last time it seems, but yeah. Not bad though, considering its a bit rushed for some reason.

Posted by: Doxa ()
Date: June 5, 2013 13:28

I'm also a bit worried about the fate of "Sway" from now on... There is something odd happening within the Jagger/Richards/Watts section - which has a tremendous affect to the whole performance - it sounds it being out of their comfort zone, or they sound like they are doing it just for Taylor or something. They don't have the natural feel for it. Taylor, surely, does his thing alright, and could do much more, but he don't get the musical support he needs.

I hope this does not mean that we have seen the boundaries of the "three-guitar attack" by now, or the further possibility to hear some more "odd" Taylor numbers (what I think it seems rather predictable that we will not hear Taylor in those "war horse" Taylor numbers they have managed to do well enough for years and decades).

- Doxa

Date: June 5, 2013 13:56

Doxa
I'm also a bit worried about the fate of "Sway" from now on... There is something odd happening within the Jagger/Richards/Watts section - which has a tremendous affect to the whole performance - it sounds it being out of their comfort zone, or they sound like they are doing it just for Taylor or something. They don't have the natural feel for it. Taylor, surely, does his thing alright, and could do much more, but he don't get the musical support he needs.

I hope this does not mean that we have seen the boundaries of the "three-guitar attack" by now, or the further possibility to hear some more "odd" Taylor numbers (what I think it seems rather predictable that we will not hear Taylor in those "war horse" Taylor numbers they have managed to do well enough for years and decades).

- Doxa

The "odd" thing is that it isn't Keith who carries the groove, but Ronnie. He is a lot lighter in how he handles the rhythm playing. It doesn't help that Keith comes in from time to time, playing rather non-chalantly. Add the fact that Taylor also plays some wonky rhythm guitar in there, and we got a poorly mixed cocktail.

This is something rehearsals would fix easily. It's all about arranging.

However, Charlie is NOT laying down the same groove he does on the album either, and it's NOT due to the tempo he is given.

Date: June 5, 2013 14:36

DandelionPowderman
Doxa

- Doxa

The "odd" thing is that it isn't Keith who carries the groove, but Ronnie. He is a lot lighter in how he handles the rhythm playing. It doesn't help that Keith comes in from time to time, playing rather non-chalantly. Add the fact that Taylor also plays some wonky rhythm guitar in there, and we got a poorly mixed cocktail.

This is something rehearsals would fix easily. It's all about arranging.

However, Charlie is NOT laying down the same groove he does on the album either, and it's NOT due to the tempo he is given.

Yeah, you could be right about Ronnie - he is there to do "Jagger's part", and Keith is in altogether odd cirmustances, and perhaps not motivated enough to take the song into his shoulders. The coctail doesn't just work. I don't know if rehearsal will help in this part of the game, though. Theoretically it could, but you know these old dogs and new tricks..

Strange, I recall Jagger once putting "Sway" to his personal top ten songs, but seemingly he does not sound at all connected to the feel of the song, and does what I would call "karaoke-singing".

I don't care about the demand to reproduce the original studio of the song (I always prefer the "road versions"). By their recent policy they should - but they are doing a damn lousy work in that sense. Yeah, maybe they should try harder, or otherwise try to find a new angle to the song. Like I said, I'm afraid of the third option: they will drop it out altogether.

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 14:40 by Doxa.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: June 5, 2013 14:46

Doxa I think you could be right here. They don't get the groove, the tempo is way too fast, the phrasing of Jagger's vocals is horrible. Btw: during the last part of the last Knocking it was only Taylor and Charlie playing. And Jagger on maracas. They seem not very at ease on this song too.

Date: June 5, 2013 14:52

+1 Kleer
In my recent post, I was spotting Mick Jagger's hard time with Sway, as a singer. His vocal cords seem to fail, IMO that's what made him sing out of tune (obvious at 0:40).

Because of that issue, I'd be (nicely) surprised if Sway came back into the setlists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 14:53 by MarkSchneider.

Date: June 5, 2013 15:02

Overall they have to work out, until they reach a new "comfort zone" together. Urgently. Hyde Park comes soon.

Date: June 5, 2013 15:02

kleermaker
Doxa I think you could be right here. They don't get the groove, the tempo is way too fast, the phrasing of Jagger's vocals is horrible. Btw: during the last part of the last Knocking it was only Taylor and Charlie playing. And Jagger on maracas. They seem not very at ease on this song too.

About the tempos. The tempo of the original is surprisingly slow, but since the groove and the whole atmosphere is so thick, passionate, and even hard, one doesn't notice that. It could be that they could try it altogether different way: even to slow down the original tempo, and make it more "bluesy" - to emphasize those features in the song. And Jagger could really sing, and not just rushing it through (I always have dug the singing melody of the song - there are some damn fine nuances in it). A bit like they once did with "Stray Cat Blues" with remarkable results (thinking of the 1969/70 road versions, manifested in YA-YA'S!)

But I know I know, this is just a fan boy fantasy, not much to do with the reality of the things!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 15:05 by Doxa.

Posted by: RobertJohnson ()
Date: June 5, 2013 15:12

We should change the item of the thread into "We don't want any song without Mick Taylor". Why on earth do we only hear his rhythm section for the most part?

Date: June 5, 2013 15:15

RobertJohnson
We should change the item of the thread into "We don't want any song without Mick Taylor". Why on earth do we only hear his rhythm section for the most part?

This thread is all about hopes and dreams - some people just seem to have bigger hopes and dreams!grinning smiley

- Doxa

Date: June 5, 2013 15:20

RobertJohnson

No! I don't want more butchered Satisfactions!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-06-05 15:28 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: June 5, 2013 15:35

DandelionPowderman
RobertJohnson

No! I don't want more butchered Satisfactions!

Yeah, let's keep it all safe and sure. Honestly you don't have anything to worry about if one unpredictable, more guitar-driven "Satisfaction" will not ruin your concert experience.grinning smiley

- Doxa

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...4950515253545556575859...LastNext
Current Page: 54 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1611
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home