Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 105
Re: We want Mick Taylor on more than one song please
Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 6, 2013 00:41

I think that must be MJ and KR's current take - MT is just a Blues guitarist for a special sit-in. Never mind Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar or Sympathy for The Devil form the late 60s / early 1970s that Taylor owned. Now he is just a Bluesman.

But for the love of God, can you at least have him play a few more tunes. I think if they play CYHMK without Taylor on the Tour, I am going to explode....

I should have known better than to spend this kind of money for such a scripted event...

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: May 6, 2013 00:51

Jagger had to know hard core fans would erupt after the first night's single tune. I'd like to hear from someone who witnessed the Love In Vain performance last week..

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: May 6, 2013 00:56

Me too, I wish we could hear that.

Posted by: SuperC ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:01

If MT gets more work tonight other then MR it will be LIV. God forbid, if he gets a 3rd tune my guess would be Little Queenie. Very curiuos to see what happens at the next show. Anything less then 3 MT songs would be a crime.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:03

duffydawg
I think that must be MJ and KR's current take - MT is just a Blues guitarist for a special sit-in. Never mind Gimme Shelter, Brown Sugar or Sympathy for The Devil form the late 60s / early 1970s that Taylor owned. Now he is just a Bluesman.

But for the love of God, can you at least have him play a few more tunes. I think if they play CYHMK without Taylor on the Tour, I am going to explode....

I should have known better than to spend this kind of money for such a scripted event...

JUST a bluesman? like howlin' wolf was JUST a bluesman?

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:11

To me Taylor plays great but also like he's trying to squeeze everything he's got into the brief time given him. His adrenalin must be off the hook. "Shine A Light", "Love In Vain", "Knockin'" all would give him time to breathe and settle in with the band. They should definitely give him at least one more song than they gave Stefani.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:20

bleedingman
To me Taylor plays great but also like he's trying to squeeze everything he's got into the brief time given him. His adrenalin must be off the hook. "Shine A Light", "Love In Vain", "Knockin'" all would give him time to breathe and settle in with the band. They should definitely give him at least one more song than they gave Stefani.

There is nothing wrong with Stefani- I actually respect her and music- she simply doesn't fit in with the Stones' type of sound. I'm not sure what song she could sing that blends in with any Stones Songs.

I'm willing to bet that the Stones' will play Torn and Frayed sometime during this tour. If Factory Girl worked- Mother's Little Helper & Out of Time will be performed. Seems a stretch -it will happen - I trust Tweets!

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:50

This special guest stuff has spoiled Mick Taylors re-emergence. Where he is expected to perform spectacularly for a few tunes same as a John Mayer. What The Stones need to do is plant Mick Taylor in the back next to Charlie where he can quietly fill and enhance each tune the way Keith described. Have MickT play on 75% of the set this way. Then bring him to the forefront for Dead Flowers, Sway what have you that are tunes where MickT plays a key role. Do this for 2-3 tunes each set.

Mick Taylor should play the role of just another Stones guitarist. Why is Mick Jagger so against this?

Posted by: PhillyFAN ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:52

Just thought about this...what if MT was allowed to play the entire tour,every song and he unleashed his full brilliance? He will steal the show. Thus one song and probably one song only.

Posted by: NICOS ()
Date: May 6, 2013 01:57

triceratops
This special guest stuff has spoiled Mick Taylors re-emergence. Where he is expected to perform spectacularly for a few tunes same as a John Mayer. What The Stones need to do is plant Mick Taylor in the back next to Charlie where he can quietly fill and enhance each tune the way Keith described. Have MickT play on 75% of the set this way. Then bring him to the forefront for Dead Flowers, Sway what have you that are tunes where MickT plays a key role. Do this for 2-3 tunes each set.

Mick Taylor should play the role of just another Stones guitarist. Why is Mick Jagger so against this?

Because he left the Stones and they want to punish him grinning smiley

Posted by: Midnight Toker ()
Date: May 6, 2013 02:08

ticeratops- well stated. bring in MT and can the rest of the guest stars. Rather hear Keith on Wild Horses that Gwen. Bad choice.

Posted by: Christopher ()
Date: May 6, 2013 02:09

They should have had Mick Taylor and Bill Wyman play on one song like in 1972.
Tumbling Dice, All Down the Line, Brown Sugar(Bobby Keys was there also) so there could have been one trip down memory lane.

Date: May 6, 2013 02:10

i can't believe all the gwen-bashing. and on a STONES site!

Posted by: jhrock83 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 02:20

I LL BE IN HYDE PARK AND I DREAM TO SEE MICK TAYLOR PLAYING LOVE IN VAIN.
PLEASE CAN YOU CHANGE THE SET LIST MICK !!! smiling smiley

MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
LOVE IN VAIN
SWAY

THAT's a F*cking good set list no ?????

Date: May 6, 2013 02:27

jhrock83
I LL BE IN HYDE PARK AND I DREAM TO SEE MICK TAYLOR PLAYING LOVE IN VAIN.
PLEASE CAN YOU CHANGE THE SET LIST MICK !!! smiling smiley

MIDNIGHT RAMBLER
LOVE IN VAIN
SWAY

THAT's a F*cking good set list no ?????

it's a little shorter than most fans would expect at this stage of the game...

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 6, 2013 02:49

kleermaker
71Tele
uhbuhgullayew
71Tele
uhbuhgullayew
71Tele
I personally would have skipped this tour entirely if not for the comments by Keith and others that led us to believe MT would be a greater part of the show. So, here I am in Oakland, after spending hundreds of dollars and traveling then finding it may just be "Midnight Rambler" - again. The underutilization of Taylor is quite bizarre, unless it has to do with Jagger's perverse refusal to give people the satisfaction of seeing the 1972-era lineup again and making comparisons (hence no Taylor and Wyman at the same time in London). Yet, we get novelty "special guests" like Lady Ga Ga and Gwen Stefani in a continuing losing battle to appear "relevant" and "contemporary". These artists may be fine in their own right, but have zero relationship to the Stones.

I wonder what it must be like for MT to have to sit backstage while the band plays "Wild Horses", "Tumbling Dice", and "Brown Sugar" - all songs he recorded with them? He should be on that stage.

MT probably has been wondering what it would have been like for the last few decades - only he was not backstage during Stones tours - he was elsewhere. His choice.

...and irrelevant to the thread, which is not about whether he quit, why he quit, whether it was a good idea to quit, etc. Taylor is with the band now, so the only question is whether or not he is used effectively.

True, I wish he was on stage and playing for the whole show.

Enjoy the show tonight Tele & hope you get to see MT playing more than MR.

Thanks! Much appreciated.

71Tele is going to see the Stones with Taylor for the first time in his life!

A great moment, Tele, even if he only plays on MR (which we don't hope!).
Anyway, enjoy, have a great time and please write a report for us, even if it is a little one, about your first Taylor-with-the-Stones experience. Better late than never, as we say it here.

Thanks kleermaker. I'll give you a full report.

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 02:52

guys he's your best musician,use him.

Date: May 6, 2013 03:00

backstreetboy1
guys he's your best musician,use him.

i will NOT tolerate anymore chuck-bashing on my site!

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 6, 2013 03:02

The concept that Jagger is concerned adding Taylor to the Rolling Stones for a few more songs in 2013 might somehow garner unfavorable comparisons to '72 is both absurd and hilarious.

I mean, half the "fans" on this board compare every note the Stones have played since 1975 to 1972. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Jagger doesn't know this or that he cares in the least about comparisons that have been occurring on a daily basis for the past four decades.

A few years ago, "fans" on this board floated this exact same "conspiracy" to explain why "Ladies and Gentleman..." wasn't ever given a proper release. Then the Stones released it in conjunction with the remastered Exile. The single meant to increase exposure of the remastered Exile featured Taylor on guitar.

Now, Taylor is touring with the band.

Perhaps when Jagger wrote the words to (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction he was somehow magically describing a delusional portion of his band's fan base in 2013.

Posted by: Quique-stone ()
Date: May 6, 2013 03:28

I would like to see and hear Mick Taylor on:
Sway
Can't You Hear Me Knocking
Gimme Shelter

Love In Vain
Jumpin Jack Flash

Posted by: bigbitch ()
Date: May 6, 2013 03:35

The most depressing thing about Mick Taylor really centers around Keith Richards and his very clear dimunition of his role within the Rolling Stones. If he had the power anymore and he really wanted Mick Taylor to be fully plugged in and really go with a 3 guitar attack - then does anyone think Mick would have disagreed?

No, this is the Mick Jagger Rolling Stones and Keith's musings or outright declarations of anyone who was a Rolling Stone was welcome back to go out in a blaze of glory is just fantasy it would appear. I sure hope I am wrong and get more data from tonight's show to see if Mick T gets more of a role.

Posted by: darkstardew ()
Date: May 6, 2013 03:36

Yes I would like to see him do 2-3 songs. CYHMK and sway would be at the top of my list... like others have said if you have him, use him!

Posted by: duffydawg ()
Date: May 6, 2013 03:40

Whats delusional about wanting the return of the one musician that delivered the strong lead guitar in 1972. Sure Jagger might never allow it. But stranger things have happened in rock and roll.

It would have been nice to have had MT back in the band. Maybe that will never happen but there is nothing "delusional" about the thought. Delusional is a strong word my friend.

Posted by: Sighunt ()
Date: May 6, 2013 05:38

sanQ
Sighunt
For people who are interested, my open letter on Facebook is posted, it is half-way down the page under Scott Sigel open letter to Mick Jagger. If you have an account on Facebook, go to the Rolling Stones page, AND IF YOU AGREE with my thoughts regarding using Mick Taylor more, add a reply or comment to it. Thanks, Scott.

I couldn't find it!

It is there on the left side of the page and it is moved up towards the front. If after tonight's show Mick Taylor is only playing one tune, I think we should have all the Mick T supporters on this board add their thoughts to the post...

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: May 6, 2013 06:13

vermontoffender
The concept that Jagger is concerned adding Taylor to the Rolling Stones for a few more songs in 2013 might somehow garner unfavorable comparisons to '72 is both absurd and hilarious.

I mean, half the "fans" on this board compare every note the Stones have played since 1975 to 1972. There is no reason whatsoever to think that Jagger doesn't know this or that he cares in the least about comparisons that have been occurring on a daily basis for the past four decades.

A few years ago, "fans" on this board floated this exact same "conspiracy" to explain why "Ladies and Gentleman..." wasn't ever given a proper release. Then the Stones released it in conjunction with the remastered Exile. The single meant to increase exposure of the remastered Exile featured Taylor on guitar.

Perhaps when Jagger wrote the words to (I Can't Get No) Satisfaction he was somehow magically describing a delusional portion of his band's fan base in 2013.
no its not absurd.

It may not be true but the idea that Jagger might think this way is not asbsurd, particularly when people are looking for an explanation for the inexplicable.

Dragging taylor around for one number,having him sit backstage for songs like Sympathy and Dice which are now crashing bores but with Taylor added would have new life is inexplicable.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: May 6, 2013 06:51

vermontoffender

Well, I am not convinced the "concept" is without merit.

Jagger implied the earlier version of the band might well have been the better one in his definitive interview with Rolling Stone some years back and the pivotal point of that comment was the band with and without Taylor. And, when Exile was re-issued, the best Don Was could answer, in an otherwise enthusiastic interview, was a cryptic "I can not confirm nor deny" any then-current Taylor input, even after it was clear Taylor had gone into the studio with Jagger, when a simple I don't know or I'm not sure would have sufficed.

Posted by: vermontoffender ()
Date: May 6, 2013 08:15

Weak sauce, dude.

Posted by: lazzzybones ()
Date: May 6, 2013 08:34

Just "Midnight Ranbler" again. This great song is in serious trouble of becoming the next warhorse.This cannot be let to happen.

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 6, 2013 09:34

vermontoffender

Why did they bring Mick Taylor back at all? The Stones are the ones making themselves look bad and insecure by only using him on one song, not the so-called "delusional" portion of the band's fan base who appreciate decent musicianship. If Mick Taylor weren't back in the band at all, that would be silly to complain, but he's there. I wonder what he does backstage while waiting to come on and then after he's off? I feel sorry for the guy and hope they're paying him well for the humiliation.

Posted by: Gibson668 ()
Date: May 6, 2013 09:42

marianna
vermontoffender

Why did they bring Mick Taylor back at all? The Stones are the ones making themselves look bad and insecure by only using him on one song, not the so-called "delusional" portion of the band's fan base who appreciate decent musicianship. If Mick Taylor weren't back in the band at all, that would be silly to complain, but he's there. I wonder what he does backstage while waiting to come on and then after he's off? I feel sorry for the guy and hope they're paying him well for the humiliation.

Totally agree..baffling that they're playing it this way... As someone said earlier, why not just have him back with Charlie..and come forward now and again..It's not as if they haven't had a 3rd guitarist before is it...
To have him sat there when they play ADTL is so strange....

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...345678910111213...LastNext
Current Page: 8 of 105

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 1988
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home