Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: Fool To Cry - thoughts
Date: November 9, 2020 10:41

More in the Fool To Cry Track Talk: [iorr.org]

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2020 11:28

DandelionPowderman

I see posts that date back to 2005. Opinions with respect to song haven't changed much. Wow - 15 years.

Date: November 9, 2020 12:20

Chris Fountain
DandelionPowderman

I see posts that date back to 2005. Opinions with respect to song haven't changed much. Wow - 15 years.

I guess it's a kind of song you either love or dislike. Personally, I like that "Philly soul"-touch. And it's very well recorded. The Sucking In The Seventies-edit might be even better than the album version, imo.

When they played it in London in 2018, there was a unisone jawdropping among the audience. In a good way, that is smiling smiley

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 9, 2020 14:02

This song doesn`t give me anything.

Posted by: NilsHolgersson ()
Date: November 9, 2020 14:11

I like the song. At first it seems Mick is writing outside of his comfort zone, autobiographical, sensitive, just him and his young daughter. The next verse he's in his comfort zone again, screwing some woman in the poor part of town, being his cool self.

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: November 9, 2020 14:15

ironic how a song that showcases some of Mick's strengths triggers some on this board to such a visceral reaction to this song.....kind of funny too.

Posted by: backofmyhand ()
Date: November 9, 2020 14:37

my favorite stones song
there is a version of foo; to cry with mick taylor on guitar any one have a link?

Date: November 9, 2020 15:11

backofmyhand
my favorite stones song
there is a version of foo; to cry with mick taylor on guitar any one have a link?

Recorded after Taylor quit, so no, unless you've stumbled over a cover by Taylor? I've never heard of it.

Posted by: flilflam ()
Date: November 9, 2020 15:31

Always did like this great song. My only criticism is that it is about a minute too long. Watts drumming towards the end of Fool to Cry is inspired.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2020 15:35

MadMax
treaclefingers
MileHigh
Chris Fountain
Pietro
Hairball
It's an embarrassing song to the Stones legacy.

I love the guitars though, and the groove by Charlie and Bill really gets going strong midway.

But it's Micks vocals that ruin it for me . They are silly and contrived, wanting to sound like the singer from KC and the Sunshine band.

KC and the Sunshine Band? They sang "That's the Way I Like It", " Shake Your Booty", "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Keep It Comin' Love", and "Get Down Tonight."

None of those songs are as introspective or melancholy as "Fool to Cry." KC and the Sunshine Band was a feel-good dance band. "Fool to Cry" is soulful, the ruminations of a hard-working man with a young daughter who finds solace in the arms of a woman on the poor side of town. The song dances on the edge of tragedy. You can feel the man's sorrow and his regret for what might have been, not to mention his love for his little daughter. No way could KC and the Sunshine band put all that in a song. No way!

What about KC's "Please don't Go" ???

Exactly exactly. "Please Don't Go" blows "Fool to Cry" out of the water.

yeah, hate to say it but I love Please Don't Go...over Fool to Cry.

It's the other way around, Stones inspired KC as this song was released in 1979, Black And Blue was released in april 1976.

Absolutely. I think KC's song was the first number one of the 1980s or something. It was a weird turn from the rest of their disco catalogue and I don't think we heard from them again.

Date: November 9, 2020 15:37

flilflam
Always did like this great song. My only criticism is that it is about a minute too long. Watts drumming towards the end of Fool to Cry is inspired.

That's why I prefer the Sucking In The Seventies-version.

Date: November 9, 2020 15:54

Anyone favour Fool to Cry over Memory Motel?

I don't dislike FtC but IMHO doesn't hold a candle to MM.

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: November 9, 2020 16:30

treaclefingers
MadMax
treaclefingers
MileHigh
Chris Fountain
Pietro
Hairball

I love the guitars though, and the groove by Charlie and Bill really gets going strong midway.

But it's Micks vocals that ruin it for me . They are silly and contrived, wanting to sound like the singer from KC and the Sunshine band.

KC and the Sunshine Band? They sang "That's the Way I Like It", " Shake Your Booty", "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Keep It Comin' Love", and "Get Down Tonight."

None of those songs are as introspective or melancholy as "Fool to Cry." KC and the Sunshine Band was a feel-good dance band. "Fool to Cry" is soulful, the ruminations of a hard-working man with a young daughter who finds solace in the arms of a woman on the poor side of town. The song dances on the edge of tragedy. You can feel the man's sorrow and his regret for what might have been, not to mention his love for his little daughter. No way could KC and the Sunshine band put all that in a song. No way!

It's the other way around, Stones inspired KC as this song was released in 1979, Black And Blue was released in april 1976.

Absolutely. I think KC's song was the first number one of the 1980s or something. It was a weird turn from the rest of their disco catalogue and I don't think we heard from them again.

They have been playing shows, at least up to 2018? And have a huge following for smaller venues. They have a great catalog but not extensive. So they usually throw in a few cover songs during their concerts -

Date: November 9, 2020 18:43

Chris Fountain
treaclefingers
MadMax
treaclefingers
MileHigh
Chris Fountain
Pietro
Hairball

They have been playing shows, at least up to 2018? And have a huge following for smaller venues. They have a great catalog but not extensive. So they usually throw in a few cover songs during their concerts -

I think I knew they were touring.

I meant more in terms of new material in the last 40 years.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: November 11, 2020 01:23

ROCKMAN

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2020 03:23

Hairball

No it's not. That's just an ignorant opinion. It was a Top Ten single in the UK and US. There's a reason it's on every comp from TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE onward.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 11, 2020 03:26

Lol...Crazy Mama should have been the A side!

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: November 11, 2020 03:30

Hairball
Lol...Crazy Mama should have been the A side!

Crazy Mama should've been the first single!

Date: November 11, 2020 04:15

It's the other way around, Stones inspired KC
as this song was released in 1979, Black And Blue was released in april 1976.

ROCKMAN

Date: November 11, 2020 04:32

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Justin ()
Date: November 11, 2020 05:56

I love this song and could listen to it once a day for the rest of my life and wouldn't bother me. Wish they'd play it more often. Great Mick performance like in Worried About You or Far Away Eyes.

Date: November 11, 2020 06:23

........... Yugoslavia 7"

ROCKMAN

Date: November 11, 2020 06:27

.......... Spain 7" ....

ROCKMAN

Date: November 11, 2020 08:22

GasLightStreet
Hairball

No it's not. That's just an ignorant opinion. It was a Top Ten single in the UK and US. There's a reason it's on every comp from TIME WAITS FOR NO ONE onward.

It's a good song. It isn't my favourite but it broadens the catalogue.

Date: November 11, 2020 08:23

Justin
I love this song and could listen to it once a day for the rest of my life and wouldn't bother me. Wish they'd play it more often. Great Mick performance like in Worried About You or Far Away Eyes.

Funny...I love the other two performances but on this one I think it's Mick that drags it down just a tad. Of all his falsetto performances prolly my least fave.

It's not that it's bad, just not great. I don't like the outro vocals.

Posted by: IrelandCalling4 ()
Date: November 11, 2020 10:28

Love it, think Memory Motel is even better but Fool to Cry is a beauty.

The whole Black and Blue album is a beauty though.

Posted by: yorkshirestone ()
Date: November 11, 2020 12:09

This isn’t my video (I was much further back in GA) but thought this was a fabulous performance of the song in London 2018.

[m.youtube.com]

Posted by: micha063 ()
Date: November 11, 2020 12:27

I always liked this song.
Black and Blue was the first Stones album, that was new, when I was a teenager. Though I was still too young to make my parents let me go to a concert...
The 2018 version played in London is very well documented thanks to a great recording of the show.
This version is one of those moments, when the Stones take of.
Very inspired, swinging, relaxed and everybody of the band contributes without forcing anything. This is hard do be done in purpose. It hapens. And it happens not very often. I remember one guy of the backstage crew saying something like, everybody being backstage feels and knows it, when this hapens.

Date: November 11, 2020 12:30

yorkshirestone
This isn’t my video (I was much further back in GA) but thought this was a fabulous performance of the song in London 2018.

Loved it!

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: November 11, 2020 13:48

It`s a wonder those singles could sell at all. Who bought it? A single is supposed to be a stand out track. If you didn`t know better you`d think so when seeing the cover.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1417
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home