Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4
Fool To Cry - thoughts
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 25, 2005 06:41

The quality of the song Fool To Cry has recently been brought to my attention several times in recent months by the DJ David Jensen. He is always insistant that this song reflects the Stones at their very best and i must say when lined up alongside the many classics on his show it stands up very well.
It's a ballad that Stones fans have never really taken to their hearts
it's also not a favourite of Keith's as he notoriously fell asleep while playing it on stage at one time.
I actually think Keith's subtle playing along with the occasional falsetto vocals add greatly to the effectiveness of the song.
Maybe the less than typical lyrics contribute to its less popular standing amongst fans. I think it's great all the same.
Maybe it's time for a reappraisal.

Re: Fool To Cry - thoughts
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: February 25, 2005 07:09

It's an embarrassing song to the Stones legacy.

I love the guitars though, and the groove by Charlie and Bill really gets going strong midway.

But it's Micks vocals that ruin it for me . They are silly and contrived, wanting to sound like the singer from KC and the Sunshine band.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 25, 2005 07:25

Worth checking out the early version of Fool To Cry with Mick on electric piano and Nicky Hopkins also on piano. Recorded at Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany,
December 12, 1974.

Static In The attic - Midnight Beat CD 084

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 25, 2005 11:23

To me it sounds one of those efforts when Mick tries a bit too much to be trendy and radio play oriented... Like "Emotional Rescue" few years later (or Satanic Majesties a decade earlier). To understand those recordings, you really need to grasp the context of their release (if only to understand their Top Ten positions). Personally I have always find it very difficult to like both of those songs, although I dig the idea of doing something different and shock their conservative fans...(although I have the feel that Mick is more willing to gather new fans or tries to show that he is still current - or that he wants to be that).

By the way, what is the musical inspiration of "Fool To Cry"? Carpenters?

- doxa

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 25, 2005 11:49

This is one I used to hate and now love.
The last 30 seconds alone are worth the hole track (the Dm G A7 progression), too bad they cut it soooo short.
The solo is absolutely brilliant (Perkins?).
The chords harmonization must have been "inspired" by Hopkins.
And ... yes I do love Mick's falsetto!

C

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 25, 2005 12:55

Rockman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Worth checking out the early version of Fool To
> Cry with Mick on electric piano and Nicky Hopkins
> also on piano. Recorded at Musicland Studios,
> Munich, Germany,
> December 12, 1974.
>
> Static In The attic - Midnight Beat CD 084
>
> ROCKMAN

Yeah, that's a great version. Listen to the guitar solo at the end!!! "how about that one?"

Posted by: LA FORUM ()
Date: February 25, 2005 13:07

If Mick hadnt been keeno on top positions the band would have died in '72 after Exile.

Date: February 25, 2005 13:29

YEAH!!! I wouldn't give ya a bum steer!!

ROCKMAN

Posted by: KSIE ()
Date: February 25, 2005 15:42

liddas Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> > This is one I used to hate and now love.
> The last 30 seconds alone are worth the hole track

I was going to say the exact same. Turns into a real funky RnB groove at the end. I'd like to see them play this live. The Paris 76 version is outstanding. Has some of the best soloing I've ever heard from Keith.

karl

'Don’t forget, if you’re on your bike, wear white'

Posted by: Chris Fountain ()
Date: February 25, 2005 16:50

I have no use for this nerve cringing song. The lryics are awful as well. "And it makes me wonder why?" What the F...? Give me break

CF

Posted by: CSD ()
Date: February 26, 2005 00:50

The first Stones single I ever bought and I still like it. I agree, the Paris version is excellent, maybe they should pull it out of the hat for the next tour as I can't remember the last time they played it live (once on the V.L tour?)

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 26, 2005 03:57

Yeah my vote is for
the Static in the
Attic version -seems
more spontaneous, gritty,
has some real soul. Official
version is okay by me but is
more commercial, contrived
in comparison. Dunno why
the Stones do this.
Maybe for the $$$?

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: February 26, 2005 18:45

dire

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 9, 2020 02:19

After all these years this song is more beautiful than ever. Very wistful. Very romantic.

Date: November 9, 2020 02:25

Hairball

I love the guitars though, and the groove by Charlie and Bill really gets going strong midway.

But it's Micks vocals that ruin it for me . They are silly and contrived, wanting to sound like the singer from KC and the Sunshine band.

Totally Agree!!!

Date: November 9, 2020 02:27

Rockman
Worth checking out the early version of Fool To Cry with Mick on electric piano and Nicky Hopkins also on piano. Recorded at Musicland Studios, Munich, Germany,
December 12, 1974.

Static In The attic - Midnight Beat CD 084

ROCKMAN

I will check that out!!

Posted by: Pietro ()
Date: November 9, 2020 02:33

Hairball

KC and the Sunshine Band? They sang "That's the Way I Like It", " Shake Your Booty", "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Keep It Comin' Love", and "Get Down Tonight."

None of those songs are as introspective or melancholy as "Fool to Cry." KC and the Sunshine Band was a feel-good dance band. "Fool to Cry" is soulful, the ruminations of a hard-working man with a young daughter who finds solace in the arms of a woman on the poor side of town. The song dances on the edge of tragedy. You can feel the man's sorrow and his regret for what might have been, not to mention his love for his little daughter. No way could KC and the Sunshine band put all that in a song. No way!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 02:35 by Pietro.

Date: November 9, 2020 02:44

Pietro
Hairball

KC and the Sunshine Band? They sang "That's the Way I Like It", " Shake Your Booty", "I'm Your Boogie Man", "Keep It Comin' Love", and "Get Down Tonight."

None of those songs are as introspective or melancholy as "Fool to Cry." KC and the Sunshine Band was a feel-good dance band. "Fool to Cry" is soulful, the ruminations of a hard-working man with a young daughter who finds solace in the arms of a woman on the poor side of town. The song dances on the edge of tragedy. You can feel the man's sorrow and his regret for what might have been, not to mention his love for his little daughter. No way could KC and the Sunshine band put all that in a song. No way!

What about KC's "Please don't Go" ???

Posted by: hopkins ()
Date: November 9, 2020 03:33

Real tender. I liked this one.
It's soppy but I'm okay with that.
I thought the 70's synth lush organ was Cool.
I just like a lot of Stones ballads.
Then again I listened to Respectable today and not Fool to Cry but this is tempting me.
I'll scout around to see if another fan left some totally ace live version.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: November 9, 2020 05:02

Lol...@Pietro - I was referring to Mick's singing and his attempt at falsetto, not the song itself.
But keep in mind, I wrote that post over 15 years ago!!!
Funny thing though, I stand by every word. smiling smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2020-11-09 05:10 by Hairball.

Posted by: MileHigh ()
Date: November 9, 2020 05:43

Chris Fountain
Pietro
Hairball

Exactly exactly. "Please Don't Go" blows "Fool to Cry" out of the water.

Posted by: sf37 ()
Date: November 9, 2020 05:47

An absolute favorite of mine. Ranks among my top Stones tracks that I’ll listen to over and over.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: November 9, 2020 06:37

MileHigh
Chris Fountain
Pietro
Hairball

yeah, hate to say it but I love Please Don't Go...over Fool to Cry.

Posted by: Jimmer ()
Date: November 9, 2020 07:41

I felt that Memory Motel should have clearly been the top single for this album, not Fool To Cry. Major missed opportunity by the band.

Date: November 9, 2020 08:09

Lovely production ..... Mick
probably just aping many of the
black singers who've used falsetto style for years ...

Mick game ta take on father daughter stuff
after livin thru that high fueled year of seventy three ....

Funny aint it ... ya often reads these critics
sooking that Mick should write grown up stuff
but here he was layin it out in seventy four .... Love Ya Mick

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: November 9, 2020 10:00

Never really got into it. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I skip it. Basically, that's the only song on B&B that fitted as a single with the approach to make it into the charts. B&B's not one of their best albums, so why should FTC should have made better?

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: November 9, 2020 10:03

Hairball

Isn't KC the singer of KC and the Sunshine Band?

Posted by: bakersfield ()
Date: November 9, 2020 10:10

At the time of Black and Blue the Stones' rockers were especially brutal and the ballads especially feather-weight,in a good way. The Stones were like Muhammed Ali - they floated like a butterfly and stung like a bee.

The tenderness of Fool to Cry set up Crazy Mama perfectly. What a great value 7" single that was!

I love the way Fool to Cry builds and builds. Sure the lyrics are silly but i think they reflect Jagger's predicament at the time, knowing the bands best years were behind them and mired in a haze of booze and drugs....a man whose every last wish had ben granted but still felt empty and dissatisfied - a Fool To Cry. That's how I read it anyway.

One of my favourites!

Posted by: MadMax ()
Date: November 9, 2020 10:20

treaclefingers
MileHigh
Chris Fountain
Pietro
Hairball

yeah, hate to say it but I love Please Don't Go...over Fool to Cry.

It's the other way around, Stones inspired KC as this song was released in 1979, Black And Blue was released in april 1976.

Date: November 9, 2020 10:26

HHHHHaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa....
Geeeez ya just gotta laugh dont ya Max .....

Thanks for that Maxy boy ... .....

ROCKMAN

Goto Page: 1234Next
Current Page: 1 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1770
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home