Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4
Re: Emotional Rescue - Live debut Los Angeles - May, 3rd 2013
Posted by: Mattty7619 ()
Date: May 4, 2013 22:40

The reggae/disco rhythm on this track swaggers and grooves like no other in the history of music! It is one of the greatest tunes ever! It is the rhythm to live your life too! Bless them for playing it !!

They should play Out of Control as that has a great groove too!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-04 22:49 by Mattty7619.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: May 4, 2013 22:40

So am I the only one who loves a good falsetto? Curtis, Marvin, Robin...dead, Barry, can't do it anymore, so that leaves Mick only?

@24FPS - thanks for setting the record straight for ATGB

@virgil - HOF can't compete for released/first time played, maybe for biggest gap live, but at best second to Lady Jane, 45 years, 1967/2012.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 4, 2013 22:41

I liked it!
I also noticed the band is reptty tight for a tour premier : I was expecting the worst with the "I Was Dreaming Last Night" but they did very well! thumbs up

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 4, 2013 23:00

There was a reason why they didnt play that before..the song sucks,
I always hated that track.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 4, 2013 23:01

seitan

so...then...what's the reason they are playing it now? did it get better or something?

Date: May 4, 2013 23:05

dcba
I liked it!
I also noticed the band is reptty tight for a tour premier : I was expecting the worst with the "I Was Dreaming Last Night" but they did very well! thumbs up

Yep, no mistakes!

I was appalled to read in the review thread that some journo found Mick's falsetto "flimsy", WTF ?! Also that he preferred the song in its original key...didn't check the original but I didn't notice any big variation?

Posted by: Jelly Face Joe ()
Date: May 4, 2013 23:15

Loved it. Brought a tear to my eye.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: May 4, 2013 23:57

GRNRBITW
seitan

so...then...what's the reason they are playing it now? did it get better or something?

they are running out of ideas and getting desperate - Mick is taking over and Keith is too scared to say: - "come on, man - were a bluesy rock n roll band, what is this disco shit"

Posted by: carlorossi ()
Date: May 5, 2013 00:04

dcba
I liked it!

I liked it too, but Mick did mess it up a bit. Listen carefully at the key change that prompts the "Yeah, I was dreaming last night" bit. He either lost track, or the band did. He seems to get it back, but loses it again, which is why he missed the "really cryin.... Ovah YOU!!!!!" part, which would have been pretty cool. But he covered the goof well, and it was a good performance by all. There's a better quality video/audio in the "reports from LA" thread. Also, in the studio version, they do the key change (bridge) twice, taking out some of the monotany of the repetitive main part.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: May 5, 2013 00:12

Jelly Face Joe
Loved it. Brought a tear to my eye.

wuss

Posted by: riverrat ()
Date: May 5, 2013 00:30

Ok, I have a new appreciation for a song I never liked before. Fun to watch them working out a "first played live" song, and I must say I enjoyed it and look forward to hearing it in Vegas. The ending needs to be tweaked a little on the talking part. Nice, tho! thumbs upthumbs upsmiling smiley

Posted by: bleedingman ()
Date: May 5, 2013 01:16

[email protected]
stupidguy2
Whoo oooh oooh....
It was a #3 song, one of their most successful singles, and they played it for the first time.
Why on earth would anyone eject?
YES!

From reading all the posts, guess I'm in the minority about ER. I really love this song. Just thought it didn't translate well live last night. Maybe after a few more plays I'll change my opinion after MGM.

Scotty

I agree. This board has wildly divergent opinions on everything Stones (to put it mildly) and I realize this vid is just a cell phone youtube but to MY ears the bass feels all wrong and Mick's falsetto and enunciation (especially the "knight in shining armor" rap at the end) feels forced and weak. Would have been interesting to have Ronnie on bass and Darryl on...tambourine.

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 5, 2013 01:19

seitan
GRNRBITW
seitan

they are running out of ideas and getting desperate - Mick is taking over and Keith is too scared to say: - "come on, man - were a bluesy rock n roll band, what is this disco shit"

Cool, in that case, play the entire Emotional Rescue album at each show.

Posted by: jp.M ()
Date: May 5, 2013 01:21

At last...a good idea !!!..I love this song and the album....

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 5, 2013 04:09

The low point of the show

Posted by: theimposter ()
Date: May 5, 2013 04:16

Yeah that was definitely a solid performance - SO glad to see them finally do this one live. I was a little disappointed, however, to see Mick ditch the falsetto after only the first verse. I understand though, he might risk blowing his voice out.

Posted by: three16 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 05:15

theimposter
Yeah that was definitely a solid performance - SO glad to see them finally do this one live. I was a little disappointed, however, to see Mick ditch the falsetto after only the first verse. I understand though, he might risk blowing his voice out.

It's just a shorter version I think... a falsetto won't blow his voice out.
It's an easier way to singer higher without the strain. Hence, Falsetto because it's false.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:22

Great to hear! As they pumped it up in that way, I bet Keith didn't mind that much either.

Posted by: terraplane ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:36

I must be in the minority. I thought it sounded empty and forced. The studio version is good though.

Posted by: Erik_Snow ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:43

terraplane
I must be in the minority. I thought it sounded empty and forced. The studio version is good though.

Sounded somewhat empty yes, my post above meant to say "great to hear that they try something new". Maybe it'll get better later in the tour.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 5, 2013 12:50

It was okay but too long : it's a repetitive tune so extending it past 4 minutes is pointless. The Staples version was 5'10...

Posted by: JohnnyBGoode ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:25

If they played a show of just Black And Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue songs I would be crazy happy. My favorite string of albums.

Posted by: kammpberg ()
Date: May 5, 2013 14:45

Thought it was fantastic that they finally played Emotional Rescue Live. Maybe they'll play Too Much Blood live now too. They've worked on it in the past and that song is a killer deep cut.

Posted by: GetYerAngie ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:39

Great that they did ER! And that they did so well with it. Of course it is a corny number, but from second listen and on I have really loved it - and the riscyness of it. Mick's falsetto on this live-version is impressive! What a surprise! Now everything can happen. Will they play CS-blues?

Posted by: rumple21 ()
Date: May 5, 2013 17:46

Heres a merged version of the audio from 3 sources

[www.filefactory.com]

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: May 5, 2013 18:00

JohnnyBGoode
If they played a show of just Black And Blue, Some Girls and Emotional Rescue songs I would be crazy happy. My favorite string of albums.

thumbs up

Solid choices.

Posted by: iamthedj ()
Date: May 5, 2013 19:30

Great version of a great song. Proof positive if Mick needs it that their catalogue is filled with great songs that would work well live if the band commit to practicing them and performing them regularly. Nice one Mick!

Date: May 5, 2013 19:34

kammpberg
Thought it was fantastic that they finally played Emotional Rescue Live. Maybe they'll play Too Much Blood live now too. They've worked on it in the past and that song is a killer deep cut.

Really? I do remember seeing it on Scorcese's list in SAL but didn't know they had actually worked on it!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 5, 2013 20:41

I listen to the Stones all the time and I'm bringing my eleven year old son who really likes the band. I NEVER listen to this song. Yesterday we were in the car and it came on and my son started bopping around to it and said I've never heard this song and I told him they played it Friday night and he is really psyched to see this one and says its his new favorite Stones song!

Date: May 5, 2013 21:03

Hopefully it will stick around, OOC was played on O2/25th and didn't so who knows...anyway I ripped the (excellent audio) from prestoff2000's video in 720p, says it's AAC at 192kbps, here it is : [we.tl] (link good until 19 May, 2013)

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 3 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2133
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home