Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
Gimme Shelter - Harmonica ?
Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 2, 2013 23:51

I was listening to the studio version of GS today and as usual admiring the multi layering of instruments and it hit me just how influential the harmonica is on this version, it gives the whole song a certain something which is simply brilliant...this got me to wondering why Jagger never, to my knowledge, ever attempted to play the harmonica on it live. We know he is more than accomplished with the old harmonica and isn't usually afraid to weild it live. Would it work? Would it have worked on the 72/73 versions? I'm sure some of the later live versions could have accommodated it. Is there a reason more obvious that I have overlooked as to why he;'s never tried it?

Sorry, so many questions!

Re: Gimme Shelter - Harmonica ?
Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:07

It's heavy and big on the studio cut, but probably wouldn't carry as much weight live.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:09

The key is weird. It would have had to be an F# harmonica unless they recorded it at a different speed and therefore was really in a different key. But blues cross harp in D flat is F#. I have never seen an F# harmonica, though I am sure they probably exist. Always wondered about this...

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:09

right..unique to the original

like the sound of that intro guitar..and the percussion..

Posted by: jazzbass ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:21

Posted by: Rocky Dijon ()
Date: May 3, 2013 05:44

The only attempt to emulate it live that I know of was Babi Floyd on "lip bone" when Keith played the song live on the second Winos tour. The thing is Mick's harmonica style changed dramatically after 1988. I don't know if he could do it justice live like he could have during the glory years 1969-1973.

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 3, 2013 11:49

If memory serves, on that tune Jagger plays a B harmonica. Anyway, it's not a tecnically very difficult part to play, so I'm pretty much sure that Mick could easily pull it off live, too. Maybe it doesn't appeal to him anymore, but it would be very nice to hear, wouldn't it?

Date: May 3, 2013 11:52

Wild Slivovitz
If memory serves, on that tune Jagger plays a B harmonica. Anyway, it's not a tecnically very difficult part to play, so I'm pretty much sure that Mick could easily pull it off live, too. Maybe it doesn't appeal to him anymore, but it would be very nice to hear, wouldn't it?

F# smiling smiley

Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 3, 2013 11:53

How about playing it with the sax intro like on Ladies & Gentlemen and the Main Offender tour?

Date: May 3, 2013 11:58

I hate the inclusion of horns on this song. angry smiley

Posted by: Wild Slivovitz ()
Date: May 3, 2013 12:20

His Majesty
Wild Slivovitz

F# smiling smiley

Ok I'll make a double check, maybe you're right.

Update: according to Winslow Yerxa, who is very much of an expert as far as harmonica is concerned (and is also very much respected in the community of hamonica players), the harmonica used by Jagger is in F#, so it definitely must be it.

[launch.groups.yahoo.com]

I got confused because I myself used to play the song in third position (B harp), and sounded quite well to me.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-03 12:41 by Wild Slivovitz.

Posted by: crumbling_mice ()
Date: May 3, 2013 13:08

Interesting stuff...dont get me wrong, I really like the 72 lead guitar intro and the later versions where Lisa wailed the notes. I just think it strange jagged never even attempted it live since it was such an influential instrument on the recorded version. Mick, if you read this, why not blow a few Stones fans minds and whip out your harmonica for this !

Posted by: BrianJones1969 ()
Date: August 12, 2014 13:28

I can only guess but I think Mick's monotone harmonica solo (two notes as he told to Melissa Block on All Things Considered) was performed on the spot when the tape was running, as he did not improve on it for some reason before the song was released in its finished form... much like the iconic Moog synth solo at the end of Emerson, Lake & Palmer's "Lucky Man" which according to its originator, Keith Emerson, sounded like it could use some improvement but couldn't do as the tape was running.

In other words, I'd like to think he performed it in one take. Just jamming around to put it another way.

~Ben

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-12 13:32 by BrianJones1969.

Date: August 12, 2014 14:29

Tom Jones - believe it or not - does a great GS cover with lots of in-your-face harmonica.

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: August 13, 2014 04:15

Richard from Canada
Tom Jones - believe it or not - does a great GS cover with lots of in-your-face harmonica.

here you go

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 13, 2014 05:22

Posted by: GasLightStreet ()
Date: August 14, 2014 16:59

For years I thought it was a saxophone...

Posted by: jpasc95 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:06

honestly for years i wondered which instrument it was !

Posted by: pepganzo ()
Date: August 14, 2014 17:58

fantastic harmonica in captain beefheart style.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:01

Ha ha. For years I wondered 'How come they don't have the sax playing on this when they do it live?' and one day - somewhat recently too, I dunno, maybe the late 1990s, I figured out it was a harmonica.

I'm not sure why I didn't get it to begin with. The phrasing sounds like a sax.

Therefor a sax could work live - not note for note like the studio version but the essence.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:02

GasLightStreet
Ha ha. For years I wondered 'How come they don't have the sax playing on this when they do it live?' and one day - somewhat recently too, I dunno, maybe the late 1990s, I figured out it was a harmonica.

Therefor a sax could work live - not note for note like the studio version but the essence.

Bobby and Trevor Lawrence played sax on it, during the intro.

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: August 14, 2014 18:10

Can't say Tom pulls off singing it as he sounds as menacing as a car without claws but it was an interesting listen thank you.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:28

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

What tour was that?

Date: August 14, 2014 18:34

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

What tour was that?

Date: August 14, 2014 18:39

Oh. I looked at the 72 line up, didn't see Trevor Lawrence.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:44

GasLightStreet

Try this lineup. He comes in a little later - after Taylor has played exactly the same line.

Lawrence joined after Bobby's infamous bathtub incident...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2014-08-14 18:50 by DandelionPowderman.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:56

DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Try this lineup. He comes in a little later - after Taylor has played exactly the same line.

Ahhhh, OK. Goddamn that's one of the funniest things I've ever read, Bobby in the bathtub.

Date: August 14, 2014 18:57

GasLightStreet
DandelionPowderman
GasLightStreet

Ahhhh, OK. Goddamn that's one of the funniest things I've ever read, Bobby in the bathtub.

I bet he had fun, but what a long hangover he had to deal with...

Posted by: stupidguy2 ()
Date: August 14, 2014 21:29

I agree. The sound and tone he gets gives the song its ethereal quality.
Because while it's up-front, the harmonica is still like a ghost throughout the song.
It sounds improvised. Maybe not technically complex, but it has a dark vibe.

Posted by: schillid ()
Date: August 17, 2014 22:46

... he sounds as menacing as a car without claws but it was an interesting listen thank you.

I think that you probably meant to write "cat without wheels"....

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1903
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home