Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT--Production of "Bowling Green"--Is this the Everly Bros. "Dirty Work?"
Posted by: loog droog ()
Date: May 2, 2013 21:31

A lot of people voice their unhappiness with the sound of the Dirty Work album, and yet at the time it was kind of the norm to try to stay current with the prevailing 80's sound. (see "Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce )

I was just listening to the Everly Brothers box set, and it came to a song that I vaguely recall hearing them perform, mostly on TV shows: "Bowling Green."

Again, it's an example of an act trying to stay current (this time in 1967), but the Sunshine Pop arrangement of the backing track had to have been hard for fans from the 50's to digest, just like the Stones' attempts to stay current in the 80's was for us older fans.

Here's the Everly's lip-syncing to the record:

A demo version, which reveals what a great song it is:

And a live performance, of them just kicking it...

...could have been a great record.

Here's another clip from 1969, doing one of their classics, LIVE

Man those boys can sing!

Re: OT--Production of "Bowling Green"--Is this the Everly Bros. "Dirty Work?"
Posted by: coatsey ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:24

I've always loved Jesse Winchester's version of this song.

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:29

loog droog
A lot of people voice their unhappiness with the sound of the Dirty Work album, and yet at the time it was kind of the norm to try to stay current with the prevailing 80's sound. (see "Dancing in the Dark" by Bruce )

I was just listening to the Everly Brothers box set, and it came to a song that I vaguely recall hearing them perform, mostly on TV shows: "Bowling Green."

Again, it's an example of an act trying to stay current (this time in 1967), but the Sunshine Pop arrangement of the backing track had to have been hard for fans from the 50's to digest, just like the Stones' attempts to stay current in the 80's was for us older fans.

Here's the Everly's lip-syncing to the record:

A demo version, which reveals what a great song it is:

And a live performance, of them just kicking it...

...could have been a great record.

Here's another clip from 1969, doing one of their classics, LIVE

Man those boys can sing!

Magnificent! Thank you

Posted by: marianna ()
Date: May 3, 2013 01:32

The first time I heard that song was at a county fair where the brothers did an opening medley of that song, "Green River," and "Kentucky." I went out and bought a greatest hits collection specifically to get that song, and the studio version is so bad compared to the live version. The Everly Brothers were generally better at live performances than studio. Their harmonies sounded better and they have had some excellent backing bands over the years, with people like Albert Lee on guitar. Not sure why they were so turgid and middle-of-the-road when making records.

Posted by: ChrisM ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:03

Love these guys. The voices for farking angels they have...

Posted by: tomk ()
Date: May 3, 2013 02:39

I've always loved the song. However, that live version of them from Ed Sullivan is one my top performances by any artist ever. They did Bowling Green, Mama Tried, and a few others. The first time I saw it, I was in tears, those voices were so beautiful.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1612
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home