Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4
Re: OT: NHL Playoffs!
Posted by: andrewm ()
Date: May 14, 2013 20:14

Stoneage
Although not exactly an NHL fanboy I feel sorry for all Leafs fans. 4-1 up and ten minutes to go and still they lose in overtime! Leafs are a bit of a favourite since both Börje Salming and Mats Sundin played there.
Of course though they never won anything...

Love Salming and Sundin. Two great players and very classy people. I got to see Salming play a couple times when I was a boy and a friend of mine actually played with him on the Red Wings near the end of his career. Said he was a really good guy and he liked to have a good time!

Date: May 14, 2013 20:37

toronto police have reported a mysterious outbreak of fist and foot sized holes in drywall in homes across the city

Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:13

pinkfloydthebarber
toronto police have reported a mysterious outbreak of fist and foot sized holes in drywall in homes across the city

Hopefully the hockey fans up there are not as bad as some basketball fans in the U.S. who riot in the streets even if their team wins.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:17

I cannot believe the Leafs lost! That was one of the biggest chokes in NHL history. I've never seen a team score two goals that late in the game with the goalie pulled. That was the first time in playoff history a team has won a game 7 while being down 3 goals in the third period. Full credit to the Bruins for coming back but that was a monumental collapse by the Leafs. As the saying goes, only in Toronto do Leafs fall in the springtime!

Hi Andrewm, who was your friend that played on the Redwings?

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: May 14, 2013 21:17

No reports of rioting here in Toronto. Just bar fights but that's not unusual.

Date: May 14, 2013 21:42

far as i know they are limiting the damage to their own man caves

Date: May 14, 2013 22:23

DGA35
I cannot believe the Leafs lost! That was one of the biggest chokes in NHL history. I've never seen a team score two goals that late in the game with the goalie pulled. That was the first time in playoff history a team has won a game 7 while being down 3 goals in the third period. Full credit to the Bruins for coming back but that was a monumental collapse by the Leafs. As the saying goes, only in Toronto do Leafs fall in the springtime!

Hey DGA, his name is Torrie Robertson. He was an enforcer who spent most of his career with Hartford but finished up in Detroit. He now runs a construction company back here in Victoria. Good guy.

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 14, 2013 23:11

DGA35

That was truly horrific. Leave it to the Leafs to find a way to lose.
Only upside is I'm not hung over today.
Someone start a "I'm sick of the whiners" thread on the Leafs message board, stat!

Posted by: More Hot Rocks ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:27

Don't feel bad Leaf fans. I have Sabre season tickets.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: May 15, 2013 01:46

FrankM

Hopefully the hockey fans up there are not as bad as some basketball fans in the U.S. who riot in the streets even if their team wins.

Not in Ontario. Of course not.
However...

This is Vancouver, BC, when they lose...
[www.google.ca]

And here is Montreal, Quebexico... when they win.
[www.google.ca]

The CUp Cup hasn't been on the soil of the nation where there are more players in the NHL than all other countries combined. Nonetheless, if Ottawa wins, you will see no such trashy behaviour from us.

[thepowergoats.com]

Date: May 15, 2013 03:26

Torrie Robertson, the name sounds vaguely familiar. He was im Detroit the same time they had Probert and Kocur?

Posted by: SomeTorontoGirl ()
Date: May 15, 2013 03:58

Once again snatching defeat from the jaws of victory. Go Leafs!

Posted by: slew ()
Date: May 15, 2013 05:16

The Leafs are young and should learn from this. I am a Bruins fan but I can not rub this in. I've been where Leafs fans are today and it sucks especially when its been so long sonce they have won anything. Remember this three years ago the Bruins had a 3-0 lead on the Flyers and they managed to lose. The following year the Bruins came back and won the cup. The Leafs could do the same. Sometimes you have to lose before you win. Hopefully the Leafs bounce back next season. Hats off to the Bruins for an epic comeback, the goals were clean and earned the Leafs did not blow it the Bruins earned it,

I have always liked the Leafs I used to like Daryl Sitler and Dave Keon. Salming was pretty good too.

I still have some trouble watching the Bruins. I grew up watching Bobby Orr and there is no one around like him now. What a player he was!

Date: May 15, 2013 06:02

DGA35

Somehow I feel responsible. I tuned in and they were up 4-1. When I tuned out it was 4-5! Very depressing. I am huge Leaf fan.

Date: May 15, 2013 06:06

DGA35

If Don Cherry had been coaching the Leafs they would have won going away. Never let your opponent up once you have knocked him down.

Posted by: donvis ()
Date: May 15, 2013 06:06

Do you think the playoffs will affect the Stones in DC at Verizon Center June 24?

Posted by: Rip This ()
Date: May 15, 2013 06:07

Rangers goalie Lundquist was in the zone...from middle of game 5 and on...magnificent save after magnificent save.

Date: May 15, 2013 08:43

DGA35
Torrie Robertson, the name sounds vaguely familiar. He was im Detroit the same time they had Probert and Kocur?

Yeah, that's probably about right, except that it would seem odd to think they'd have all three of those guys at the same time. If you've got Probert and Kocur, you don't really need Torrie, if you know what I mean. Maybe he came in after Probert left. Anyway, most of his career was with Hartford, so Detroit tenure would have been late 80's, roughly.

Just checked: his last two years in the NHL were with Detroit-'88-'90.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-15 09:02 by andrewm.

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:52

Do you think the playoffs will affect the Stones in DC at Verizon Center June 24?

Caps flunked out of the series last night in grand fashion. Sigh. What the hell happened to Ovi?!??!

I feel for those Leafs fans. Had been kinda pulling for them this year. In a way, I'm glad my Preds didn't even make the playoffs - they were gonna go nowhere due to all the injuries - hell, we were basically an AHL team for the second half of the season... Not much sucks worse than paying $500 or so to watch your team get bounced in the first round.

"Just a poor girl in a rich man's house" * Rockin' in Nashville, TN!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: May 15, 2013 09:58

my kids went to a Ducks-Redwings game in Anaheim last week. Games roaring on my TV nitely! smoking smiley

Date: May 15, 2013 10:00

It's gonna be interesting next year when the Ducks & Kings are in the same division!

Date: May 15, 2013 22:09

Hi tnhybrid, saw on the news that Ovi is heading over to Europe to play in the World Championships. Several players from teams that lost out in the first round went over, including Subban for Canada and Edler/Sedin twins for Sweden.
I've read several times over the years that European players consider this tournament to be just as big if not bigger than the Stanley Cup but for North Americans, it basically means your team didn't make the playoffs or got bounced in the first round.
Can't wait for game 1 Hawks vs Detroit tonight!

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 15, 2013 22:43

As a huge Blackhawks fan I was not thrilled to see Detroit become our matchup. With real Stanley cup ambitions this year, you don't like to see your main rival. Getting knocked out of playoffs after having best record always hurts, but if it comes at hands of Red Wings it hurts forever. On the other hand, Hawks in 5.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: May 15, 2013 23:12

FrankM
pinkfloydthebarber

yes, indeed, just awful. But don't let those sheepish Canadians fool you, remember when the bruins beat Vancouver in the Stanley cup a few years ago, man they burned Vancouver . . . at least they are not as bad as some of the south American fans who end up killing referees . . . shameful all around.

Date: May 15, 2013 23:50

Hi Doubledoor. Anaheim is the one team I didn't want to see the Hawks play in the playoffs since they're the only team the Hawks couldn't beat in the regular season.
Detroit will be an excellent series and travel definitely won't be an issue for either team. Datsyuk and Zetterberg are awesome players but I think the Hawks have too much depth this year. Looks like Bolland will be playing, not sure what Emery's status is but if Crawford keeps up the solid goaltending, then that won't be an issue!

Date: May 16, 2013 01:52

I don't think there's any way Detroit beats the Blackhawks - frankly I can't imagine how they knocked off Anaheim, didn't get to see several of the games because I've been in SoCal and no NHL Network on hotel packages usually. Also a couple of the ANA games were blacked out on local TV - go figure, since you know they had to have been sold out.

That being said, having had both Chicago and Detroit as divisional rivals for the last few years... this is one series I may not watch. I won't go so far as to root for Pittsburgh, but on the other hand, Tomas Vokoun is a former Predator..... winking smiley

(I have to say, I know not all Blackhawks fans are jerks and obnoxious... but they are by far! the worst-behaved opposing fans we ever get in Nashville. Unfortunately we get them in droves every away game. I suppose their money is as green as anyone else's, and the local joke is that they're dying to come to Nashville b/c who wouldn't want to get out of Chicago? Honestly I think it's just that they had the worst attendance in the league only five or six years ago and the new, bandwagon fans are the jerks. Have met folks who've followed them for years who are more reasonable.)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-16 01:54 by tnhybrid.

Posted by: doubledoor ()
Date: May 16, 2013 03:33

The Blackhawks had stellar attendance for decades, until our dinosaur owner finally drove the fans away by raising prices while shipping away all the talent, and keeping them off television. He passed away and the fans have come back. But History would not be strong point of a Nashville Hockey fans. Expansion team in a place that never saw ice before Hockey arrived. Nashville is a fun little place though. Love visiting there.

Date: May 16, 2013 10:46

You know we've had hockey in Nashville since 1962, right?

We love having fans from other teams come to town and spend their money. grinning smiley I'm told it's one of the better away trips in the League, since we have Lower Broad with a lot of bars and juke joints right outside the arena. It's just that fans of most other teams don't get there at 8 AM and drink all day before they come to the games, then puke in the aisles and scream obscenities the entire time, which has been my experience with some of the more obnoxious Hawks fans. But hey, whatever floats your boat, I guess.

Who here thinks Sharks are going to take out the Kings? I just don't see it, but some are absolutely convinced.

Date: May 16, 2013 21:47

Sharks/Kings is going to be a great series but I think LA will win. Great win by the Hawks last night. Jimmy Howard made alot of great saves to keep Detroit in it.

Posted by: black n blue ()
Date: May 17, 2013 04:32

More Hot Rocks
Don't feel bad Leaf fans. I have Sabre season tickets.

Still hate the leafs, Sabres are spinning their wheels

Goto Page: Previous1234Next
Current Page: 2 of 4

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1959
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home