Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Get Your Leeds Lungs Out ! - opinions
Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 23, 2005 09:07

The bootleg Get Your Leeds Lungs Out! or Live At Leeds amongst other titles is often cited as one of the Stones very best live bootlegs but i actually believe it's actually a rather mediocre performance particuarly when compared with the standard set in this period of the Stones career.
There are so many songs here that the Stones had performed so brilliantly in the 69-73 period but they just sound rather uninspired here. I prefer the slower version of Stray Cat Blues on the 69 and 70 tours and the soul version of Satisfaction while different is not really successful.Dead Flowers is the only song that works really effectively, i feel.
Maybe the fact the Stones were playing smaller venues on this tour meant they decided to tone down their energy levels i'm not sure.
It's not a bootleg i would make my first priority .

Re: Get Your Leeds Lungs Out ! - opinions
Posted by: bartman ()
Date: February 23, 2005 09:16

I also like Little queenie and Let it rock. It really rocks. Bitch is also great.
I wonder if there is a complete show curculating.

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 23, 2005 10:05

bartman Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I wonder if there is a complete show curculating.

No.

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 23, 2005 13:14

Yes, there is. The complete show -with JJF and LWM-has been broadcasted in England in the early 70's, and is available in tape traders circles. Sound quality is not good (it's like 8th generation, comparable to Pittsburgh 1972), but it is from the same radio broadcast.

Mathijs

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: February 23, 2005 14:05

I got the revisited vesrion from swingin'Pig.But I guess I could not expect that kind of quality on the tape?

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 23, 2005 14:38

That's interesting news Mathijs - I might have to chase that up.

But I agree with Edward - mediocre performance, very laid back, uninspiring.
Let It Rock is probably the best song from this show....

Esky

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 23, 2005 15:05

The version of that show, named "Leed Stones: Thanks for The Flaming Groupie" with an orange vinyl and the "Have You Seen Your Mother" drag photo as a sleeve , was my first bootleg ever - I found the performance very uninspiring and a bit out of tune (Well "Let It Rock" was really an expection) and I almost gave up the whole idea of collecting bootlegs. Well, I didn't smiling smiley but I haven't really changed my mind about the quality of that performance compared to the other ones in that era (1969-73). I don't grasp where the fame of this show is based on - maybe only to the fact that it has been so widely available.

Maybe one of the reasons the Stones sounded so forced in that tour (though I haven't any other shows than Leeds) was that they were rehearsing with bigger band (horns) and with new arrangements - it took till American Tour, via Exile sessions, to make the new thing click. Like Edward said the Otis Redding kind of version of "Satisfaction" sounds very breathless, a forced try of the idea "now, let's try something different to make this old boring song a bit more interesting". Total miss.

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-23 15:06 by Rorty.

Posted by: Esky ()
Date: February 23, 2005 15:11

Hey Rorty, I started a thread about this (the sound from the 1971 UK Tour) about 1 month ago - check out some of the reasons for the uninspiring sound/performance (IMO).
I think Mathijs pointed out the band were using different amps and went for a different sound during this period.

I think the Band was under alot of pressure coming into the 1972 US Tour. Luckily for us they didn't let us down!!

I respect women who can suck golf balls through a garden hose....

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 23, 2005 15:20

Thanks, Esky, I will check it out!

- Doxa

Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 23, 2005 15:47

Mathijs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Yes, there is. The complete show -with JJF and
> LWM-has been broadcasted in England in the early
> 70's, and is available in tape traders circles.
> Sound quality is not good (it's like 8th
> generation, comparable to Pittsburgh 1972), but it
> is from the same radio broadcast.
>
> Mathijs

That's new to me!

Posted by: Cafaro ()
Date: February 23, 2005 16:15

I happen to like this performance.I find that the banter in between songs is uninspiring but the music is great. With the exception of 2-3 songs, the music kicks. I think the lack of good crowd noise is kind of a downer. It's almost liek listening to a rehersal disc

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: February 23, 2005 18:36

I agree with the comments about the unspiring performance. Maybe the band spent the whole night @#$%&, as it seems to lack energy. The reason to the fame of this show is clearly its availability, for sure.

My favourite one from this show is Let It Rock, without any doubt.

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: billy318124 ()
Date: February 26, 2005 18:46

its ok..........same as scores of others

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: February 27, 2005 03:44

Agree with you again Edward.
I recently acquired this cd and apart from 'Let it Rock'
I found the tracks lacked intensity. The soulful version of Satisfaction,
for example, is a poor cousin to the live version from the Gimme Shelter movie recorded only a couple of years earlier.

Posted by: midnrambler ()
Date: February 27, 2005 15:09

Where can I get this complete version?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1588
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home