Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Should Ronnie Sit It Out During Mick T Numbers?
Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:19

drbryant
I disagree with those that say Mick T is no more than a guest. The line up with Taylor was brief, but it was those years in which the Stones were, without a doubt, the world's greatest rock and roll band. And that's the key for me.

Agree

Whether you love him or you don't care for him they need him now. IMHO guitars are too soft without him. Hope he plays at least 3 songs. Wasn't planning to go until he joined the tour. It would be great if his role increases as the tour rolls into Toronto, Chicago, and Philadelphia. Can't wait.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:22

IMO the band wants to loop the loop with Mick Taylor, and that's a good thing and a great tribute to this fantastic misician. A wink to the gold era.

And of course, a way to transcend, sublimate lots of tracks on stage... Taylor can do this.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:24

24FPS
I think the three of them together is just fine. They fill holes that age is causing. And Mick T is part of the Stones DNA. He should be allowed to play on any song he can contribute to.

I agree 100%. And if there is ABSOLUTLEY no room for 3 guitars...

...give Ronnie a bass and let Daryll take a break instead.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: JumpinJeppeFlash ()
Date: April 28, 2013 20:30

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
I think the three of them together is just fine. They fill holes that age is causing. And Mick T is part of the Stones DNA. He should be allowed to play on any song he can contribute to.

And another top 100 stupid comment on this board.

Posted by: Blackdog ()
Date: April 28, 2013 21:30

jamesfdouglas
24FPS

I don't think Ronnie would be too happy.
I doubt it would ever happen but they need to work Taylor in more. They actually sound like a rock n roll band again. BV just said it was paralyzing hearing MT play Midnight Rambler last night.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 28, 2013 21:53

JumpinJeppeFlash
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

And another person who feels they can call other people's comments stupid. As if their own opinions were somehow more valid.

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 28, 2013 22:01

All this is moot because what will happen is what will maximize the dollars taken in. Having mick Taylor play a couple songs sells more tickets, having him play more means they have to pay him more. Same deal with why Wyman was only used for a couple of songs. It is a business and they operate it like a business.

Including making sure BV got into the show. He deserves it for all the great love and promotion he has shown for the band.

We might like to think that the Stones are part of some idealistic artistic pursuit but when you look at the reality, the are conducting themselves like business people and should be expected to behave like that. I believe this philosophy of the band kicked in with the 89 tour.

In 69 Jagger was asked if he was "any more satisfied" his answer was "sexually satisfied, financially unsatisfied, philosophically trying..." I think that was the quote. Pretty clear description of the priorities.

Posted by: dimtim ()
Date: April 28, 2013 22:16

As MicK introduced MT last night "an old friend" enough said. I love his playing tremendously but he quit the band a long time ago - his choice.

Would you ask your wife to leave the bedroom so you could have some alone time with your ex wife you married out of college?

Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: April 28, 2013 22:19

dimtim
As MicK introduced MT last night "an old friend" enough said. I love his playing tremendously but he quit the band a long time ago - his choice.

Would you ask your wife to leave the bedroom so you could have some alone time with your ex wife you married out of college?

After that analogy, I understand why you are DIMtim! eye rolling smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 28, 2013 22:31

littleredrooster
dimtim

Another person getting personal, instead of simply debating.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: April 28, 2013 22:46

stonesrule
It's the Stones business as to how they handle stage performance...not ours.

Really? I just assumed they would do whatever we wanted them to.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 28, 2013 23:14

It isn't necessary...If they wanted to be really creative with the guitar parts, there is something for everyone to do. Taylor should be on at least half the show, if not more, but that would require more rehearsal to blend the parts well. It could be done, but it looks like they will use him more as a "special guest", rather than as the band member who played on those songs, or who defined them live. I would love to hear SFM, Brown Sugar, etc., with the three-guitar line up.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: April 28, 2013 23:19

drbryant
I disagree with those that say Mick T is no more than a guest. The line up with Taylor was brief, but it was those years in which the Stones were, without a doubt, the world's greatest rock and roll band.

There is lots of doubt.

Date: April 28, 2013 23:25

The years with Taylor were great, but to say he made them the greatest is a stretvh, to put it mildly.

Date: April 28, 2013 23:27

No! The more guitars the better!

Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: April 29, 2013 00:08

24FPS
littleredrooster
dimtim

Another person getting personal, instead of simply debating.

An insensitive analogy
How do you debate an insane analogy?
So Taylor quit, maybe that's why he's alive today.
He could have lost his battle with heroin if he didn't choose at the time.
Only he knows.
Why bother reading into Mick's quote?
He IS more of an 'old friend' to Jagger than any of us.
Jagger also knows full and well what Taylor contributed to the band at their zenith of performing and recording!.
Enjoy this moment in time when they all perform together.......it can't last forever.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 29, 2013 21:42

24FPS
JumpinJeppeFlash
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

And another person who feels they can call other people's comments stupid. As if their own opinions were somehow more valid.

I know. He didn't even bother to tell me how or why he thought it was stupid.

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 29, 2013 22:53

jamesfdouglas
24FPS
JumpinJeppeFlash
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

I can tell you why it is stupid.... it is stupid because Daryll plays bass and Ronnie plays guitar for this band. Mick Taylor is a has-been, quitter, who has not done jack shit for the last 30 years. In the last 30 years he could barely make his own scheduled gigs.

The Stones are doing him and Taylor fans a HUGE NOSTALGLIC FAVOR by wheeling him out for a couple of songs, as if that will soemhow turn back the clcok to 1972. Taylor quit this band a long time ago, why is that so hard for people to grasp?

I am sick of hearing all this shit thrown at Ronnie Wood, it is BS. Ronnie has done his job since quitter-boy quit. Ronnie has never missed a gig. Ronnie is a pro. Ronnie earned his spot as guitar player and he aint playinbg bass, and to even that might happen suggest it is stupid.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:03

Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
JumpinJeppeFlash
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

I can tell you why it is stupid.... it is stupid because Daryll plays bass and Ronnie plays guitar for this band. Mick Taylor is a has-been, quitter, who has not done jack shit for the last 30 years. In the last 30 years he could barely make his own scheduled gigs.

The Stones are doing him and Taylor fans a HUGE NOSTALGLIC FAVOR by wheeling him out for a couple of songs, as if that will soemhow turn back the clcok to 1972. Taylor quit this band a long time ago, why is that so hard for people to grasp?

I am sick of hearing all this shit thrown at Ronnie Wood, it is BS. Ronnie has done his job since quitter-boy quit. Ronnie has never missed a gig. Ronnie is a pro. Ronnie earned his spot as guitar player and he aint playinbg bass, and to even that might happen suggest it is stupid.

Taylor never missed a gig with the Stones, and he never @#$%& up there, cause he was never too intoxicated. It was the golden era winking smiley And what's wrong with quitting? The Stones are no army involved in a war.

Date: April 29, 2013 23:08

It is a comedy act the crap these Taylor freaks make up about Ronnie and unworthy of reply.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:11

VT22
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
JumpinJeppeFlash
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

Taylor never missed a gig with the Stones, and he never @#$%& up there, cause he was never too intoxicated. It was the golden era winking smiley And what's wrong with quitting? The Stones are no army involved in a war.

Not according to Charlie Watts, who, in the 90s when commenting on Bill Wyman leaving, said, "You can't quit the Stones. It's like being in the military."

Date: April 29, 2013 23:11

Just ignore the stupidity. It's the only reasonable thing to do.

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:14

stonehearted
VT22
Max'sKansasCity
jamesfdouglas
24FPS
JumpinJeppeFlash
jamesfdouglas
24FPS

Not according to Charlie Watts, who, in the 90s when commenting on Bill Wyman leaving, said, "You can't quit the Stones. It's like being in the military."

Yes, Charie and Keith, always in for a good joke.

Date: April 29, 2013 23:15

Always sad to run out of arguments... Just read Charlie smiling smiley

Max'sKansasCity
It is a comedy act the crap these Taylor freaks make up about Ronnie and unworthy of reply.
--------------------

"The Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility. Now Keith won't say that; Keith, I think, would prefer to play with Ronnie as a partner. But Mick Taylor was an incredible virtuoso. Brian wasn't, he was a good all-round player, and Ronnie's the same. He'll play wonderful bottleneck guitar and pedal steel -- any instrument, like Brian -- but Mick gave our music terrific lyricism. Ronnie is a very likeable person, a great sense of humor. Musically, he didn't bring anything, but he has this facility to add to things."

Charlie Watts, Mojo Magazine 2003.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 29, 2013 23:17

Charlie Watts
Ronnie is a very likeable person, a great sense of humor. Musically, he didn't bring anything,

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 23:19 by Hairball.

Date: April 29, 2013 23:17

[www.rollingstones.com]

Mick Taylor holds a special place in the select pantheon of Rolling Stones Guitarists. He was there at what many consider to be the height of the band’s achievements. What a guitarist, and what a legacy.

Date: April 29, 2013 23:23

I honestly feel sorry for the poor people who cling to notion that Taylor is still in this band, those who live in denial that he quit a long time ago. How sad for them. I am glad that I was able to move forward and have a good time, too bad it was ruined for those stuck in the past.

Hopefully the 2 songs where they wheel Taylor out will make them feel a little better about things, maybe make them feel like they are in high school again.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 23:25 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 29, 2013 23:25

I don't live in denial that Taylor quit a long time ago. I just want him to come back for a whole show.

Date: April 29, 2013 23:28

Let him open with the classic Alabama. Maybe continue with his take on JJF. He can finish off his solo set with Twister Sister?

Date: April 29, 2013 23:29

roby
I don't live in denial that Taylor quit a long time ago. I just want him to come back for a whole show.

Taylor quit. He is not in the band. He will have a 2 song guest spot. Why not enjoy that as opposed to whining for more and bashing on Ronnie?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 23:30 by Max'sKansasCity.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1905
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home