Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Sound Systems
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 21, 2005 21:07

I was down front in New Orleans for the 78 tour. The sound was great...but I was right down front. I've heard others describe the sound system as terrible for this tour. What about the sound system for the Licks Tour? I had heard various bad reports about the bad sound (depending upon your location) system and when I saw the show in Atlanta the sound was just not that good. I've seen the Stones in many stadiums over the years and I've heard great sound. It seems to me the BB sound was good and the Steel Wheels sound was good. Is there any excuse for such muddy sound?

Re: Sound Systems
Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 21, 2005 21:31

One would think that their sound system would be similar for all of their modern tours. I think the main variable is where you are sitting within the venue. I was on the floor at the front for three shows in Vancouver and I thought the sound was great, but friends sitting on the endzone, upper deck, thought the sound sucked. Dome stadiums like Vancouver, Toronto,New Orleans, Atlanta, St.Louis, etc. are probably the worst since the sound echoes throughout.

Posted by: Stikkyfinger ()
Date: February 21, 2005 21:54

I've always found the best sound is 'down in the hole' at the front, but these days you should get a good sound in most of the venue - what with technology and all....

Regards,

Ian.

Rolling Stones Tribute

Play Rolling Stones

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 22, 2005 00:42

I've heard the guitars were virtually non audible
during the opening songs at Sarstock, but was up front
in the pit myself and could hear everything quite well.

Posted by: Wuudy ()
Date: February 22, 2005 02:32

Stikkyfinger Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I've always found the best sound is 'down in the
> hole' at the front, but these days you should get
> a good sound in most of the venue - what with
> technology and all....
>
> Regards,
>
> Ian.
>
>
> We don't LOOK like the Rolling Stones - we just
> SOUND like them!
>

You would think that it would be great everywhere but unfortunately it's not. Have you ever been to the Amsterdam Arena? Man it is terrible there!!!

Cheers,
Wuudy

Posted by: RnT ()
Date: February 22, 2005 11:18

I've been to all kind of venues on many tours, in front and in the back. In my opinion the soundsystems on VL and BTB were much better than on the Licks tour. I don't know why.
Also, in the small venues (arenas, clubs), the sound in 2002/2003 was very (too) loud. On the smaller stage they seemed to use the same backline as in the stadiums. As I recall the backline for the clubshows in '95 was smaller (just a Fender Twin amp for Keith and a Vox AC30 for Ronnie?).

Posted by: ThatsWhatISay ()
Date: February 22, 2005 13:14

Here is a compact article about the sound system they used:

[216.239.59.104]

So you were right, they used the same sound system for stadiums as well as smaller venues.

And I found this about the monitoring unit:

R-Type Celebrates Forty Licks with the
Rolling Stones
As the Rolling Stones kick off on their 40th anniversary world tour this September - entitled Forty Licks - Chris Wade-Evans has a new member of the monitoring cast in the form of an R-Type, supplied by Chicago-based dB Sound. The 4-frame R-Type is specified with 78 inputs, plus a full 32 outputs and a 32 x 16 output matrix.
The tour will take in 27 cities in the US and Canada, followed by Europe, Australia and the Far East during 2003 - with a first-ever visit to China as part of the plan. The idea behind the Forty Licks tour is to showcase the band’s diverse musical and performance skills - playing a mix of stadiums, arenas, theatres and clubs all during the same tour. On the monitoring front, the plan is for the R-Type to team up with the Cadac M-Type that went out on the last Bridges to Babylon tour. In certain venues, Chris will monitor on the multiframe R-Type or the M-Type, with other locations requiring both consoles to operate alongside one another.
A double album of the same title is due for release in October - as the band’s first comprehensively retrospective album, from their beginnings to the present day.

Btw, the sound system had 252 000 Watt!

Also check out the website of the sound system producer, some good info about the B2B and Licks tour on there! [dbsound.com]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-22 13:27 by ThatsWhatISay.

Posted by: fortilix ()
Date: February 22, 2005 13:35

At Paris Bercy the sound was AWFUL!!! I found it a shame to charge so much for such a bad sound... I was in the back and the opening set was PAINFUL and INAUDIBLE.

The only songs that were OK were Love in Vain (great version) and alikes that were not too loud.
I took my lady and our two daughters (10 years old). It was their first time. I was really embarassed because from where we were they had to put the hands on the ears to avoid the sound reflections bouncing around in order to try to capture only the sound from the PA! It was a 500 Euros + evening...

I have heard Aerosmith in the same Bercy. Same problem. Too loud. Sound bouncing around. Each note was echoing 4/5 times... And I was on the ground this time.

I know that Clapton played this venue with a great sound, so I guess there is something to do to get a correct sound all over the place.

Posted by: bassaleman ()
Date: February 22, 2005 20:39

The major problem always seems to be the guitars, which are too low in the mix of not there at all. You can always here Chuck playing. I would like a little of a switch on that fact...!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: February 22, 2005 22:36

Just one note - The 2002 Atlanta show was outdoors at Turner Field, not at The Georgia Dome.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1798
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home