Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28
Re: ***GIG TONIGHT AT ECHOPLEX - SMALL & INTIMATE!***
Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:07

DandelionPowderman
TeddyB1018
I like the slow tempos. Miserable discussion here though. I remember not so long ago several people here posting that the Stones would never play again, and that Keith couldn't even hold a guitar. Now some of those people seem to be unhappy that the band is playing. For me, this is a very cool iteration of the Rolling Stones. I really could not have hoped for much better. Good for them.

They'll always find something to nag about anyways.

They are playing the songs in the RIGHT tempo, btw. Comparing with the album versions, that is.

That clip of BS from the gig is nothing but raw energy and passion. It takes a lot to make that swing, without "cheating" by speeding it up horrendously.

Yes, when I come back to the original studio versions of BS, there's always a moment of surprise at how slow it is compared with what I imagined it would be - but that's the right tempo and my goodness it works. Same With Tumbling Dice.

Posted by: gotdablouse ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:24

Too slow, too old, too this, too that, what next? Some people need a reality check...if I were bv I would have banned them long ago!

maumau

Stones arrive at echoplex

First pics of Taylor of the day, thanks...as a side note he really looks happy and relaxed, probably can't believe his luck to be pampered like that after years of crappy gigs and shoddy vans (I remember seeing a beat up "Mick Taylor Band" van on a Swiss motorway in the early 90s), etc...not that he didn't bring it upon himself but still.

Posted by: nanker phelge ()
Date: April 29, 2013 10:55

Thanks for all you do BV - only met you once but you are a true gent!

Posted by: spunky ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:10

Another from Brown Sugar:

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:38

Bobby Keys is getting worse every time they play Brown Sugar. He has merits in the past, but he has been playing horrible for years now.

Posted by: 1962 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 11:40

windmelody
Bobby Keys is getting worse every time they play Brown Sugar. He has merits in the past, but he has been playing horrible for years now.

Can't agree. He is great.

Date: April 29, 2013 11:55

windmelody

You better check your ears...

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:00

Bobby Keys is great here !

Posted by: sonomastone ()
Date: April 29, 2013 12:03

JumpinJackOLantern
JumpinJackOLantern
tatters
donnarq1
Angee, Mick Taylor played on four number...Love in Vain, Midnight Rambler...and the two encores...Brown Sugar and Jumping Jack Flash smiling smiley

I don't see him.

Wow! Mick is sexier than ever! There is no way he is 69 years old! No way!

When I look at this video it is just surreal to think that these guys could be performing at this level at roughly 70 years of age! Is it a dream? The impossible dream has become a reality!

They sound pretty good. I don't mind the tempo at all, definitely prefer it to the rushed versions they tend to do.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 29, 2013 14:50

My favorite post of this thread.... so far...

angee
I want that kooky-looking poster!

ME TOO!! winking smiley

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 14:55 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Mr. Jimi ()
Date: April 29, 2013 15:41

So wonderful to see the boys on stage again . . . I just feel as though brown sugar, however, is missing something in the last 30 years or so, and yes I am refering to Taylor's runs on it . . . I used to love that solo he would do after the sax solo, and then his runs at the end . . . hope he stays on after his 2 or 3 songs in the arenas. Wood doesn't give me that lift I need with this song, but hey I know I shouldn't complain, this is wonderful having this band still rocking in 2013!!!!!

I have a tix for Boston 2, see you there!!!!

Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:13

bv

The Mick Taylor solo on Midnigh Rambler paralyzed me, I did not expect it to be that strong. He added something extra which we have been missing since he left, something that is unique to Mick Taylor, his style and his playing. Yet, Ronnie had a great and extended solo which stood out like no others, so I need them both.

The part about adding something extra is how most fans of the Taylor era feel. Glad he's back - even in his limited role.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:24

mnewman505
will they actually do a show without JJF?

Enmore theatre Sydney 2003. No JJF

Posted by: EasterMan ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:28

bitusa2012
mnewman505
will they actually do a show without JJF?

Enmore theatre Sydney 2003. No JJF

Cirkus Stockholm 2003. No JJF

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:39

bv
Love In Vain:
Mick Taylor had just been introduced on stage. I tried to watch each and every band member at all times. The sound with all the guitars reminded me immediately about the original version from Let It Bleed. I am not a particular Mick Taylor fan, I am not hooked, but if you like versions close to the original, this is it. Goosebumps version.

They have done "Love In Vain" a few times where I have seen them over the years, it is a great song, but if they do this one on the big stage on this tour with Mick taylor then we will be all threated with something special. I think the Rollig Stones do know exactly where they can have Mick Taylor guest playing, so that the fans can enjoy his talent where it fits best into the concert and our emotions. We are nostalgic. We love his style.

I saw Mick Taylor live on stage with the Stones 40 years ago in 1973, European Tour. Now the PA's are better, the sound is sharper, the band members and the fans are 40 years older, but the emotions and the true experience is the same, if not better.

Check out this one, said to be the last live version of "Love in Vain" with Mick Taylor and the Rolling Stones:

Quoted from the clip:
Feb 27th Sydney Australia, Last time the Stones played Love in Vain live, Mick Taylors last time playing it live as a Stone. It was dropped for the upcoming '73 European Tour. Mick Taylor owns this song like he always has. Brilliant guitarist.

Thanks for answering my question so extensively Bjornulf.

Posted by: OpenG ()
Date: April 29, 2013 16:47

I wonder if MT played LIV in standard concert tuning like he did in 72/73 and in 1969 he played in Open G If I remember correctly.

play that guitar boy

Posted by: open-g ()
Date: April 29, 2013 17:03

OpenG
I wonder if MT played LIV in standard concert tuning like he did in 72/73 and in 1969 he played in Open G If I remember correctly.

play that guitar boy

I don't know about the tuning but it appears (from pics & Vids) that he played a Ampeg VT-22 amp. last time he played a Tweed Twin.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 29, 2013 17:24

I think one aspect has been overlooked.

Did Mick and Keith make eye contact during the show?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:01

GumbootCloggeroo

They were unaware of this contract stipulation....

Posted by: Natlanta ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:13

was the Echoplex building formerly a Mexican restaurant called Nayarit?...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 18:16 by Natlanta.

Posted by: JumpingKentFlash ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:25

BV: I'll ask you again to write a book about your Stones adventures and your climbs on mountains. Please consider this.

JumpingKentFlash

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:42

GumbootCloggeroo

Yes, check out 2:55-3:00 smiling smiley

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:46

Saw it,and Keiths grin with the flashy white teeth.

It's like a light coming up on his face. grinning smiley

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:52

I can't help it, the warhorses are boring to me. I have heard them too many times...

Posted by: GADAWG ()
Date: April 29, 2013 18:52

windmelody

Then stay home and don't consume our tickets or our air

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-29 18:53 by GADAWG.

Posted by: Honestman ()
Date: April 29, 2013 19:06

Max'sKansasCity
My favorite post of this thread.... so far...

angee
I want that kooky-looking poster!

ME TOO!! winking smiley

here's an edited version winking smiley

HMN

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 29, 2013 19:12

Thank you HM!!

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: April 29, 2013 19:14

Stoneage
I can't help it, the warhorses are boring to me. I have heard them too many times...

They're having the same effect on me too to be honest. The only snag is, that when they play they simply cannot get away without doing some of the damn things. So like it or not, if you go see the Stones these days ...... some warhorses you WILL get. It's an inevitability. It's the "rest of the set" that's of principal interest to me, and I suspect to most folks too - other than the totally uninitiated or the very casual fan.

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 29, 2013 19:19

Mathijs
In the end, I get a slight feeling nobody really gives a flying fvck about a club gig anymore...and I have the feeling nobody really seems to be that interested in a new Stones tour....

Mathijs

You're mixing up things. I merely think the RS are basically in it for the money. It requires some guts if they are going to play like this in front of so many people, and asking lots of money. If it wasn't for MT...well they might as well give him a cheque for all the great contributions he did back in the days, and call it quits.
But then, the ship of fools sailing on. Just like tomorrow in Amsterdam. Waving at the new king and queen.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 29, 2013 19:26

Natlanta
was the Echoplex building formerly a Mexican restaurant called Nayarit?...

The Echo was. It's connected to the Echoplex, a much larger club downstairs. I think that club used to be a bowling alley.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...1819202122232425262728Next
Current Page: 25 of 28

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2045
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home