Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3
Re: OT: Bob Weir Collapses Onstage (Lesh Keeps Singing)
Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: April 30, 2013 05:59

24FPS
buffalo7478
They were easily the worst band I ever saw live. Out of tune, off key, 'jamming' that was so disjointed it sounded more like tuning up during a sound check....but the trippy crowd seemed to love it...

I think you've summed up the mystery to the very few people like us who don't get the appeal of the Dead. Whatever their admirers are hearing must go in their ears, swirl around and go threw some magic filter that blends those sour milk harmonies into ear candy. I know people that still go to Furthur concerts. God love 'em.

My older brother took me to see them in 1978, and while neither us were "DeadHeads" we both enjoyed a bit of their studio work (the standard classic rock staples).
With that said, the concert was baffling, puzzling, and confusing, and even though we were quite stoned, we didn't "get it" lol smoking smiley

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:01

Hairball
24FPS
buffalo7478
They were easily the worst band I ever saw live. Out of tune, off key, 'jamming' that was so disjointed it sounded more like tuning up during a sound check....but the trippy crowd seemed to love it...

I think you've summed up the mystery to the very few people like us who don't get the appeal of the Dead. Whatever their admirers are hearing must go in their ears, swirl around and go threw some magic filter that blends those sour milk harmonies into ear candy. I know people that still go to Furthur concerts. God love 'em.

My older brother took me to see them in 1978, and while neither us were "DeadHeads" we both enjoyed a bit of their studio work (the standard classic rock staples).
With that said, the concert was baffling, puzzling, and confusing, and even though we were quite stoned, we didn't "get it" lol smoking smiley

You better watch it. Deadheads can't stand that one or two people, now three, don't get it.

Posted by: dougie ()
Date: April 30, 2013 06:19

It helps if you're tripping on acid. Then the universe becomes one for you. It was fun.

I saw them over 150 times- oh to be young, high and no responsibility. Okay, I am not young. When Jerry was on fire- it was magic. But, Jerry was only on fire 1 out of three times usually. I saw them from 1974 to 1995. Only 'consistent' year was 1977. It was a fun hobby, but some take it to the extreme (no job, school, or to many drugs). The 'seen' started getting to me in the mid 80's and I became a closet deadhead (hmm- that is when I stopped doing recreational substances; now I understand)

All the best to Bobby. 'Maybe you had to much to fast' Shakedown Street, terrapin station.

Posted by: His Majesty ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:06

I love their debut and Anthem Of The Sun. smoking smiley

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 2, 2013 02:42

[ultimateclassicrock.com]

The two incidents may be unrelated, but five days after Bob Weir collapsed onstage during his band Furthur’s set in Port Chester, N.Y., the group has canceled its headlining set at the BottleRock Napa Valley Festival in Napa, Calif. They were set to perform on May 9.

The next scheduled Furthur show isn’t until July 11, but Weir has solo concerts scheduled for June 26-30. A statement on the TRI Studios Facebook page indicates that he will be good to go for those dates, but that “Grateful Dead & Furthur co-founder Bob Weir is unable to perform in any capacity for the next several weeks.” TRI is Weir’s studio that broadcasts online video and audio.

The nature of what’s keeping Weir from returning to the stage wasn’t revealed in the Facebook post or in a statement at the band’s website. Weir and Furthur have played one show since the April 25 incident. Rolling Stone reports that he sang and performed “with force, as if to demonstrate his health and vitality” in Atlantic City, N.J. on April 27.

After Weir collapsed, his band helped him to a chair, and they finished the song. They all exited afterward and then returned without Weir; Phil Lesh said a strained shoulder was keeping his bandmate from returning. It’s the second time in two months that a Weir performance has ended prematurely. On March 4, he stormed offstage after growing irritated with a chatty audience.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-02 02:44 by tatters.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: May 2, 2013 03:07

Sending out best thoughts, hopes and good wishes to BobFkn Weir, a true rock and roll legend and bad ass. Get your shit back together Bob and get back to doing what you do. You got a lot of rocking to still to, rock on man!

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: May 2, 2013 03:13

well if you call that singing I guess, went to my 1st show in '67..God Bless Pigpen...but I ain't too crazy 'bout the remnants...wasn't even that crazy about most post '90 gigs...that's OK though cuz I had my fun...if you don't get it, well that's fine too...

Date: May 2, 2013 03:48

i am a huge dead head but really the band lost a lot when pigpen passed. up until the early 70's while pigpen was there they were terrific. they had plenty of moments after that including the late 80's but it was never the same without pigpen.

btw i just got the 5 cd SO MANY ROADS box set for only $25 and i'm jamming now

Posted by: Roll73 ()
Date: May 2, 2013 12:43

Hairball
tatters
He wasn't drunk. Don't you guys know nuthin' 'bout the dope phene lean?

Haha...his boots must have been super-glued to the floor.

What's funny about that?

Date: May 2, 2013 13:20

i wish the dead had finished the studio album they were working on before jerry died. they had so real corkers to put on it like "so many roads", "eternity" and "lazy river road"

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 2, 2013 13:40

keefriffhard4life
i wish the dead had finished the studio album they were working on before jerry died. they had so real corkers to put on it like "so many roads", "eternity" and "lazy river road"
you and me both , who knows old captain trips might have been revitalsed if the dead could have got that album out and toured behind it ? we will never know now !

Date: May 2, 2013 14:01

TheGreek
keefriffhard4life
you and me both , who knows old captain trips might have been revitalsed if the dead could have got that album out and toured behind it ? we will never know now !

pretty muchg the entire last disc of the SO MANY ROADS box set other than the first 2 songs are live version or studio workups of the songs that would have been the next album. i guess in the end you have the final album in a way but maybe they had other songs they would have put on the studio album.

Date: May 2, 2013 15:26

keefriffhard4life
TheGreek
keefriffhard4life

pretty muchg the entire last disc of the SO MANY ROADS box set other than the first 2 songs are live version or studio workups of the songs that would have been the next album. i guess in the end you have the final album in a way but maybe they had other songs they would have put on the studio album.
yes i agree with you .liberty is also on the last disc of the box set which i also have , also on the SO MANY ROADS box set is the final song played by JERRY with the dead from soldier field "black muddy river " damn i miss the grateful dead so much !!!

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 2, 2013 15:34

keefriffhard4life
i am a huge dead head but really the band lost a lot when pigpen passed. up until the early 70's while pigpen was there they were terrific. they had plenty of moments after that including the late 80's but it was never the same without pigpen.

Great price

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 2, 2013 16:59

Hairball
24FPS
buffalo7478

I saw them a half dozen times between the early 80's up to maybe 10 years ago, there was always a song or two which was 'magical', but on a whole...almost seemed like a garage band. I really like they're early acoustical stuff which of course they rarely every played in that format live.

Gregg Allman talks about them in his book, he didn't get the whole thing either, chalked it up to all the drugs the audience was taking!

Date: May 2, 2013 18:36

kovach
Hairball
24FPS
buffalo7478

I saw them a half dozen times between the early 80's up to maybe 10 years ago, there was always a song or two which was 'magical', but on a whole...almost seemed like a garage band. I really like they're early acoustical stuff which of course they rarely every played in that format live.

Gregg Allman talks about them in his book, he didn't get the whole thing either, chalked it up to all the drugs the audience was taking!
I could say exactly the same thing about the Allman Brothers,seem em a few times but I never really got it. The Grateful Dead on the other hand are incredible. I saw them 67 times and I loved the fact that they were willing to take chances and jam. Some nights they were definitely not great but when they were on fire it was absolutely magical.

Posted by: flashhh ()
Date: May 2, 2013 19:32

Weirs voice is far better than Jaggers imo

Date: May 2, 2013 19:43

flashhh
Weirs voice is far better than Jaggers imo
weir voice sucks compared to jagger , and i am a deadhead also !!!

Posted by: 2000 LYFH ()
Date: May 2, 2013 20:15

Don't know who's voice sucks more but this is one of his best and a great sounding guitar from him

Posted by: reg thorpe ()
Date: May 2, 2013 22:14

Women laugh and children scream
And the band keeps playing on

Date: May 2, 2013 23:33

reg thorpe
keefriffhard4life

Great price[/quote

yup although i had to fix a skip on the last track of disc 1 with the old toothpaste method. all the rest of the discs played fine

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: May 3, 2013 00:11

keefriffhard4life
reg thorpe
keefriffhard4life

Great price[/quote

yup although i had to fix a skip on the last track of disc 1 with the old toothpaste method. all the rest of the discs played fine

Is it still sold in the hemp covered box?

I played disc 4 a few weeks back, but hadn't really listened to any of it since much past the original release. Great comp, early Warlocks material is cool. I've just become accustomed to the flow of a full set & or show when I listen to the Dead.

Date: May 3, 2013 00:38

shakeydeal
keefriffhard4life
reg thorpe
keefriffhard4life

Great price[/quote

Is it still sold in the hemp covered box?

I played disc 4 a few weeks back, but hadn't really listened to any of it since much past the original release. Great comp, early Warlocks material is cool. I've just become accustomed to the flow of a full set & or show when I listen to the Dead.

the set has been out of print a while. i think it was only ever made in the hemp/cloth box

Posted by: Single Malt ()
Date: May 4, 2013 00:29

Hope Bob's all right. I always enjoy Grateful Dead bootlegs. Fantastic band. Fantastic live performances. Always rated them better than e.g. Zeppelin who I've always thought were overrated and boring.

Posted by: shakeydeal ()
Date: May 4, 2013 05:36

I'm optimistic Bob will pull through. He was generally the health nut in the band - mountain biking, touch football league in Marin area. Although ever since he grew that beard it's almost as if Jerry's cells have been slowly taking over his body. If shoulder injury is to be believed, maybe prescription drug issue. A true scourge in the U.S. these days with most if it being perfectly legal. Paging Dr. Robert.

Date: May 9, 2013 07:12

i still can't understand how some people can not "get" the grateful dead. i would think even stones fans could easily get into the early 70's stuff, workingmans dead, american beauty, skull and roses, europe '72 and bears choice vol 1. anything live from that time period, the phase known as the cosmic cowboy era, seems on par with a lot of the stones work or CSNY stuff from that era. i enjoy everything they did with pigpen. the band until 1973 jammed like no one else. even after that they had some great songs and great jams but donna backing vocals annoyed the hell out of me. by the late 80's keyboard player brent mydland had been in the band about a decade and they were starting to gel like the pigpen years and then he was gone and after 1990 they never fully recovered imo.

some great post pigpen stuff to check out:
-scarlet begonias> fire on the mountain 3-22-1990 (on so many roads and spring 1990 sets)
-row jimmy 3-26-1990 (on dozin at the knicks and spring 1990 sets)
-built to last 10-16-1989 (on nightfall of diamonds)
-eyes on the world 3-29-1990 (on without a net)
- little red rooster 11-1-1985 (on dicks picks vol 21)
- sugaree 5-28-1977 (on to terrapin:hartford 1977)
-cold rain and snow 7-4-1989 (on truckin up the buffalo)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-09 07:15 by keefriffhard4life.

Posted by: kovach ()
Date: May 9, 2013 16:28

keefriffhard4life
i still can't understand how some people can not "get" the grateful dead. i would think even stones fans could easily get into the early 70's stuff, workingmans dead, american beauty, skull and roses, europe '72 and bears choice vol 1. anything live from that time period, the phase known as the cosmic cowboy era, seems on par with a lot of the stones work or CSNY stuff from that era. i enjoy everything they did with pigpen. the band until 1973 jammed like no one else. even after that they had some great songs and great jams but donna backing vocals annoyed the hell out of me. by the late 80's keyboard player brent mydland had been in the band about a decade and they were starting to gel like the pigpen years and then he was gone and after 1990 they never fully recovered imo.

-scarlet begonias> fire on the mountain 3-22-1990 (on so many roads and spring 1990 sets)

American Beauty is a classic...you wouldn't know it's the same band in concert that made such an album except for the extremely rare acoustic show.

Date: May 10, 2013 09:33

kovach
keefriffhard4life

American Beauty is a classic...you wouldn't know it's the same band in concert that made such an album except for the extremely rare acoustic show.

workingmans dead is also mostly acoustic based. i could recommend hours of live stuff from the pigpen years though

Posted by: MILKYWAY ()
Date: July 9, 2013 01:46

WAKE OF THE FLOOD is excellent throughout.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: July 9, 2013 01:53

I can tolerate Garcia with Grisham, or adding a touch or two to someone else's song. But put the Dead together and you have the opposite of chemistry. Unless you dig what they did, which is wonderful, for you.

Goto Page: Previous123Next
Current Page: 2 of 3

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1409
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home