Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Poor ticket sales to jeopardize fall US tour leg??
Posted by: GRC ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:45

I know that there have been many posts on ticket sales and it is no secret that there are plenty of the high priced tickets available. I was holding out hoping to catch a show at MSG in the fall, however now I am starting to think that the Fall Tour will not happen. If ticket sales remain sluggish and AEG takes a bath I doubt they will get another promoter to put on a Fall leg of the tour without decreasing their asking price and frankly I don't see that happening. Anyone have thoughts on the Fall now with these ticket sales? Do I just go to Philly?

Re: Poor ticket sales to jeopardize fall US tour leg??
Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:49

I didn't think of anything as continuing. I figure they'll do a jaunt this summer, then maybe they'll go somewhere else in the world. I never thought it was going to be a huge tour or anything. The US will essentially get another round of shows for a third time? I thought that was unlikely, which was why I jumped on Philly.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:52

I am starting to think Wichita might not get a show this tour.

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:53

The Rolling Stones can always get a promoter.

But I see your concern. Ticket sales are not poor because no one wants to go, they're poor because there are only a limited number of people who will pay $300 an hour for a rock band to pose and play 3 chords, no matter how legendary the group. I mean, it's not like they're playing Radio City Music Hall--these are standard crappy arenas that with any other event happening you can get into for a minute fraction of the price.

If shows wind up getting cancelled as a result, then The Stones have only themselves to blame. And if poor ticket sales result in aborted touring schedules and a premature end to their touring days, then it will only be because they shot themselves in the foot by taking the loyalty of their fans for granted.

Perhaps this 50 & Counting tour was a bad idea, and just may be the worst business decision Jagger ever made.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:54

I'd expect the days of the mega multi year blowout tours is over. I think we need to get used to these short little runs. I for one am happy they are playing arenas and not stadiums. If i'm going to fork over hundreds of bucks i'd rather it be indoors.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:54

Dan
I am starting to think Wichita might not get a show this tour.

Don't give out hope...its not poor ticket sales that are to blame...that is merely the result of whats to blame...

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:55

The pr/marketing/media has not been well thought out re ticket sales.

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:57

I will be very curious to see what happens with these shows. If ticket sales are as terrible as they appear, something major will have to happen. Putting another 1000 tickets out will help, but I am genuinely curious how many seats are actually available. If they have another 6000 to sell, who knows...

Posted by: tnhybrid ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:15

Wow. Srsly, people think they'll cancel the shows? Hope I don't have to change my plane ticket *again*... winking smiley

That being said, there are still $150 levels etc available for Anaheim - but as others here have pointed out, it sucks to pay $150 to be in the very top of the arena when many legendary bands charge (much) less. Saw The Who from terrific seats for around that price just six months ago. Paid $1500 to see McCartney, admittedly, but got dinner and a sound check out of it, plus third row.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 22:16 by tnhybrid.

Posted by: Dan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:19

flacnvinyl
I will be very curious to see what happens with these shows. If ticket sales are as terrible as they appear, something major will have to happen. Putting another 1000 tickets out will help, but I am genuinely curious how many seats are actually available. If they have another 6000 to sell, who knows...

A hastily arranged $80,000 for 17 gigs Mick Taylor & Friends club tour.

Posted by: jamesfdouglas ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:31

stonehearted

Perhaps this 50 & Counting tour was a bad idea, and just may be the worst business decision Jagger ever made.

Certainly the name of the tour is off-putting.
50 and Counting...

16 million... 32 million... 48 million...

[thepowergoats.com]

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:34

Dan, you da man.

In all seriousness, I am still completely dumbfounded by their pricing. $600 a seat. $600 PER SEAT!! So many people wanted to go see them this tour. It is not a matter of 'oh just sell something, just dip into savings this ONE time'... At $1200 a pair, you are thinking of other things to do with that money.

With the lottery seats I am taking a risk that I will sit in the worst seats in the house. Very likely, and also the ONLY way I can take my wife to see her first show. She still jokes about how we 'better be in the pit', with full knowledge that we can't afford anything above $150/seat. So we'll be in the upper deck OOrrr... still the upper deck. HA!

Posted by: uhbuhgullayew ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:04

stonehearted
The Rolling Stones can always get a promoter.

Cohl

Posted by: stargroover ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:09

Hopefully and it will teach the money grabbing bastards a lesson. Sad when lots of folk want to see them. You have to be rich or rich and stupid to be a Stones fan these days. A legacy that says they screwed every last dollar from their fans. Sad, greedy and unnecessary!

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:09

Don't think anybody would buy tickets more than 300 USD. Not in big scales, maybe some corporate. Jagger needs to learn tickets sales, too long time since LSE, he should attend some more classes and maybe get an M.SC. in Economics!

Posted by: lettingitbleed ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:17

In you are in the NY area, get on a train to Philly! Don't miss out! No one ever said anything about more shows than these.

Posted by: RockinJive ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:20

Every show will sell out!!!

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:25

Checked Ticketmaster lately?

Posted by: DaveG ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:27

Just read this quote by MJ from the '69 tour:

And Jagger defended the high ticket price of $7.50, saying: “We aren’t doing this tour for money, but because we want to play America and have a lot of fun. We’re really not into that sort of economic scene. I mean, either you’re gonna sing and all that crap or you’re gonna be a @#$%& economist. We’re sorry people can’t afford to come. We don’t know that this tour is more expensive. You’ll have to tell us.”

My, how times have changed!!!!

Posted by: Woz ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:33

After they blow the roof off the Staples center in LA with MT featured in an Exile mini-set remaining tickets for the remainder of the tour will sell promptly. In the end, every show will sell out.

Posted by: mnewman505 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:35

I'm pulling up massive blocks of P1's on TM for all 3 Chicago shows. Just do 8 best available and you'll get main floor. What will they do with all this unsold inventory?

Posted by: BluzDude ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:36

DaveG

And Jagger defended the high ticket price of $7.50, saying: “We aren’t doing this tour for money, but because we want to play America and have a lot of fun. We’re really not into that sort of economic scene. I mean, either you’re gonna sing and all that crap or you’re gonna be a @#$%& economist. We’re sorry people can’t afford to come. We don’t know that this tour is more expensive. You’ll have to tell us.”

Yup! That was the moment in Rock history when the most expensive seats went from $6.50 to $7.50 ... what a rip off!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:36

Woz
After they blow the roof off the Staples center in LA with MT featured in an Exile mini-set remaining tickets for the remainder of the tour will sell promptly. In the end, every show will sell out.

It forces you to wonder...is the ticket sell out as improbable as the Exile mini-set?

Date: April 25, 2013 23:47

BluzDude
DaveG

Yup! That was the moment in Rock history when the most expensive seats went from $6.50 to $7.50 ... what a rip off!

Yeah, I think I paid $6.50 to see them at the Forum on that tour. Even at that time I didn't think that was very expensive.

Posted by: clapton71 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:47

Does not seem to be that much hype about them going back on road to be honest and it does result from the price of tix.

Date: April 25, 2013 23:52

DaveG
BluzDude
DaveG

Yeah, I think I paid $6.50 to see them at the Forum on that tour. Even at that time I didn't think that was very expensive.

I remember when I saw Cream in 1968, I paid $5.50 for the ticket because I couldn't afford the $6.50 seat. The first time I saw Led Zeppelin in March 1970, the top price ticket at the L.A. Forum was $7.25

Date: April 25, 2013 23:57

Well. I was more than willing to pay $6.50 back then (also saw Cream at the Forum for $5.50) but quite unwilling to pay $650.00 for a seat now.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:00

DaveG

Its sad that to make that statement true today, you have to take out the decimal point. What it shows is they've always been like that, where the music and prices are of equal importance.

Date: April 26, 2013 00:10

The Stones will get paid for the upcoming shows.
They already have about $20,000,000 in their pocket in advance money for the upcoming shows.

The question is, would they take a reduction for future shows, or just call it quits?

Re: AEG ... either heads are going to roll, or maybe they are just looking for a big tax deduction this year.

Date: April 26, 2013 00:15

That's right: they'll get paid whether or not the venues are full.

I think the "50 and Counting" conjures up images of them counting their take from the shows! Though they have performed at benefits and have done free shows in the past, I don't think it is in their DNA to take a reduction or to lower ticket prices.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1623
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home