Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5
Re: Am I the only one here who likes Yoko Ono ? -
Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:47

DoomandGloom
A brat from Westchester who somehow developed a Japanese accent.....

This is not the StonesTod thread.

Posted by: latebloomer ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:48

I'm not about to jump in with an opinion on her artistic abilities, taste is always subjective, but I do admire her. She was subjected to a lot of ridicule and hatred and some of it had to do with the fact that she was not only female but Asian.

Love her or hate her, Yoko has always done her own thing and that takes some guts, and yes, John did love her and that should count for something.

Posted by: Ross ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:07

I always liked this one...

John's last sessions, he lays down some wicked guitar!

Actually, Yoko just landed her 10th #1 hit on the Billboard Dance Charts.

[joemygod.blogspot.com]

I guess one's perspective is a little different when coked-up or whacked out on ecstacy in a NYC dance club!

I find a lot of her more recent stuff quite interesting. Not something for everyday listening, but some pretty catchy, funky stuff. It's a bit hard to get past the voice, though, I agree!

Ross

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 22:08 by Ross.

Posted by: rovalle ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:09

I hope so... >grinning smiley<

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 22:09 by rovalle.

Posted by: peters318 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:43

I think she is really interesting and pretty cool.
I went to see her do a performance in the Bluecoat art gallery in Liverpool a few years ago. It was in a small theatre with probably 100 or so people there. She came in wrapped in bandages and asked us to come and unwrap her. My wife and I, along with others came down and took off the bandages (she was clothed underneath smiling smiley ). I still have the bandages. She then rolled around the floor shouting for John in front of a video of her and Lennon. For the end of the performance we all danced to Give Peace a Chance. My wife was dancing hand in hand with Yoko. It was a pretty amazing experience, and she seemed a nice lady.

Posted by: Big Al ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:51

Are we talking artistically or personally? I certainly cannot comment on the latter.

Posted by: John&Trish ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:10

Yes, you are the only one..

Posted by: sanQ ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:17

She ruined the movie with that shrill voice. I fail to see any value in anything she did on stage. Ask Julian what she did to him. You tell me how how nice she is. Look up Julian on Shirley talking about Yoko.
As John's son, she has been nothing but a wench to him. Same with John who was a lousy father and complete hypocrite.
John was a great songwriter and singer. As far as I'm concerned that's all. Spare me the peace and love crap. People are still brainwashed by that rubbish acting like John was some kind of saint.

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:18

One of her greatest achievements was keeping John alive for us until the nut case gunned him down. Without Yoko to distract, amuse, ground him, we would probably talk about John the way we do Jimi and Janis.

John met her because she was already famous in her own right Not Beatles famous, but she had her own buzz going.

In the 90's, I forget exactly who the idiot host was, but she gained my respect in an interview. When asked, "aren't you tired of playing the grieving widow?"

She quietly answered, " I'm not playing, I am the grieving widow."

That has often made me stop when others claim she capitalizes on the assassination...this woman was walking arm and arm with her husband to their home when he took gun shots to the chest...which of us would not have the rest of our life at least somehow partially defined by that moment?

Posted by: rebelrebel ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:28

kahoosier
One of her greatest achievements was keeping John alive for us until the nut case gunned him down. Without Yoko to distract, amuse, ground him, we would probably talk about John the way we do Jimi and Janis.

John met her because she was already famous in her own right Not Beatles famous, but she had her own buzz going.

In the 90's, I forget exactly who the idiot host was, but she gained my respect in an interview. When asked, "aren't you tired of playing the grieving widow?"

She quietly answered, " I'm not playing, I am the grieving widow."

That has often made me stop when others claim she capitalizes on the assassination...this woman was walking arm and arm with her husband to their home when he took gun shots to the chest...which of us would not have the rest of our life at least somehow partially defined by that moment?

My feelings exactly. As for her work I don't like all of what I've heard and I haven't even heard that much but I think her songs on Sometime In New York are superb. Also Walking On Thin Ice and other Double Fantasy songs. Some of her other work is OK too. I don't think she's done anything to warrant the hate shown by some people here.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:37

sanQ, Yoko is not one of my most favorite people but she certainly doesn't deserve your words. Nor does John. He wasn't perfect. He was human. I knew him.

When he was being a hypocrite, he was often first to admit it. Some people try to grow...to change. Many of us here, I believe, fall into that category.

Next you'll be telling us that you're a better guitar player than John...

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:54

Big Al
Are we talking artistically or personally? I certainly cannot comment on the latter.

Artistically, please..maybe both, I dont mind, I mean -
If someone knows her personally, then feel free to share your opinion.
It's fun to notice that she is so radical, interesting and unique with her work and life, - controversial, that people feel the need to be angry about her.
Amusing.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 23:57 by seitan.

Posted by: kowalski ()
Date: April 26, 2013 00:26

"Yes, I'm A Witch" from her 1974 album, A Story.

"I don't care what you say, I'm a witch"

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 26, 2013 02:46

I love the Plastic Ono Elephant's Memory Band.smoking smiley

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 07:03

Yeah it is so funny, a bit sad, how angry and visceral some people get about Yoko Ono. How they often put so much power into this small woman, "she broke up The Beatles, she controled John, etc..." I mean come on. John Lennon was a strong man, who was never affraid of doing his thing. He loved her, respected her, and most importantly, learned from her.
You may not like her art. But to think she was some opportunistic leech is so cliched and shortshighted. The woman had a career before meeting John. She was well known within the art community, and really had no idea who these "Beatles were..."

The woman has withstood racism, sexism, and prejudice and endured. I give her props for her strength and power to overcome the dreadful things that have barraged her life. Power to the People!

Posted by: owlbynite ()
Date: April 26, 2013 07:07

Wish her mike had been muted on Rock n Roll Circus...tongue sticking out smiley

Date: April 26, 2013 07:22

I don't blame Yoko for the break up of the Beatles nor do I blame her for the sons of the Beatles not coming together. The blame falls on John and Sean. Both were/are "momma's boys".

Date: April 26, 2013 07:28

JumpinJackOLantern
I don't blame Yoko for the break up of the Beatles nor do I blame her for the sons of the Beatles not coming together. The blame falls on John and Sean. Both were/are "momma's boys".

Yoko being John's mother figure.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2013 09:18

To be honest I think John used Yoko as a buffer between him and the rest of the Beatles. He wanted to leave and she was his excuse out. If she was a gold digger she would have wanted him to remain in the group and continue to rake in the millions. John wasn't strong enough or brave enough to stand up and leave the group when he wanted to, so he pulled some passive aggressive stuff over a period of years until he finally left. (And then got upstaged by Paul).

John did whatever the hell he wanted. Most women probably bored him and Yoko didn't. Yes, John had some mommy issues too. Duh.

Date: April 26, 2013 09:36

I judge Yoko on her "art".

It's crap.

It's like the "pile of bricks" in the Tate as an artistic statement nonsense.

She would never have been heard of after 1970 like a zillion other 60s "artists" who did weird novelty stuff if she wasn't connected to the Beatles.

That is the harsh reality.

Posted by: whitem8 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 09:52

Well gravityboy, I just don't think you get it. WHich is fair. I have no doubt that Yoko would have had a successful art career if she hadn't had met Lennon. Like other experimental artists, Laurie Anderson et. al. she wouldn't have been mainstream, but without a doubt she would have had a career.

Posted by: jomo297 ()
Date: April 26, 2013 10:06

seitan
Yoko Ono is now working with The Sonic Youth members.
This is fantastic, beautifull, lovely and awesome !! - It should be a top ten hit.

YOKO ONO with Thurston Moore & Kim Gordon: 'Mulberry'

It may not sound great, but boy, the lyrics are inspiring.

Date: April 26, 2013 10:18

whitem8
Well gravityboy, I just don't think you get it. WHich is fair. I have no doubt that Yoko would have had a successful art career if she hadn't had met Lennon. Like other experimental artists, Laurie Anderson et. al. she wouldn't have been mainstream, but without a doubt she would have had a career.

I get it all to well.

It's called money for old rope.

She may have had a career, but nobody would give a crap about it.

Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 26, 2013 10:19

There are people out there with way too much money paying millions for a urinal tacked to a wall because it's called 'Contemporary Art'. Morley Safer did a great piece a few years back on Sixty Minutes. The elites hated him after that. I'm sure if Yoko wasn't the famous Yoko, that her work would be popular in that world. Here's the story, it's quite entertaining:

[www.youtube.com]

Posted by: 69firebird ()
Date: April 26, 2013 10:32

I think Sean probably likes her too. So she now has 2 fans.

Posted by: Toru A ()
Date: April 26, 2013 11:10

seitan
Big Al

Artistically, please..maybe both, I dont mind, I mean -
If someone knows her personally, then feel free to share your opinion.
It's fun to notice that she is so radical, interesting and unique with her work and life, - controversial, that people feel the need to be angry about her.
Amusing.

seitan,

What do John Lennon and John Lydon have in common?

Both were married to an heir of conglomerate.grinning smiley

Date: April 26, 2013 12:29

What a picture.

Is this an audtion for the Adams Family?

Posted by: windmelody ()
Date: April 26, 2013 12:50

Ono's art is complete amateurish rubbish, I do not know how she managed to be considered an artist for decades. To be fair, Lennon's post Beatles output is not very convincing as well.

Date: April 26, 2013 12:56

stonesrule
sanQ, Yoko is not one of my most favorite people but she certainly doesn't deserve your words. Nor does John. He wasn't perfect. He was human. I knew him.

When he was being a hypocrite, he was often first to admit it. Some people try to grow...to change. Many of us here, I believe, fall into that category.

Next you'll be telling us that you're a better guitar player than John...

John? Of course I am better! Duh. Well I am basing my opinion on what they did to Julian. If you want to excuse that, you're just as ignorant as John was. He favoritized Sean and verbally abused Julian. His own kid. Oh I am sure whoever it was that knew him surely must know that!

Date: April 26, 2013 13:06

As for Yoko, her ultimate low point was making Julian BUY his father's possessions. She made John's own son, buy his father's things back. If you think this is what a decent human being does, you have a lot of growing to do. As a person, I would never commend her or her work. She's inconsiderate and self centered, seeking to give to charity only where it serves her own interests, in a obtaining the tax break and giving the false sense that she really cares about others to serve her financial interests.
What she and John did to Julian was just plain wrong. You have no argument against that. It's the truth.

Goto Page: Previous12345Next
Current Page: 3 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1788
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home