Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6
Re: Show Woody some respect..
Date: April 25, 2013 14:21

KeithNacho
The work he did with the songs previously played by Taylor in the TOTA tour was awsome. In 1978 the set list was not so for virtuoso.
Anyway, i love Ronnie too much, i like his style and his solo works. His guitars in Dirty Work an SW were wonderful too

That's true. They went from a more classic rock template, with longer solos - back to basic rock'n'roll where those acrobatics weren't as much needed.

That said, his solos on the whip-version I posted is just as good as anything he did in 1975 - only the music is a bit different.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 25, 2013 14:30

Ronnie Wood rules!!!!!!!!!

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 25, 2013 14:39

Posted by: VT22 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 14:45

Mathijs
Many people don't like Wood because of his clowning around on stage. Well, that's not his fault entirely. For the 'comeback tour' in 1989 Jagger basically won the feud with Richards, and had it his way concerning the setup of the band and the stage, which all basically was taken from the Jagger solo tour template. This meant much less focus on the guitars, and much more focus on synths, piano and brass. This went on until at least the 1999 tour, when it basically was too late for Wood: he lost many of his skills.

And that is just like Taylor: Taylor also is a shadow of his former selve. It's great he will join the Stones this tour, but don't expect miracles. Taylor has been rusty, sloppy and full of mistakes for the last 20 years. He lost much of his fluidity and smoothness. Is that strange? I guess not, they simply all got old.

Mathijs

If you stay healthy and practice, you can play great till at least 75, or even older.
I recently saw John McLaughlin, Jeff Beck, Allan Holsworth and Larry Corryell in diferent venues. They are at the same age or even older than Taylor or Ron, but they still play like a rocket, keep up their level, like them or not.

Besides, lifestyle has its own price.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 25, 2013 14:52

Ron Wood tells better jokes than Taylor.

He is awesome.

Posted by: kleermaker ()
Date: April 25, 2013 16:03

roby
"The Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility. Now Keith won't say that; Keith, I think, would prefer to play with Ronnie as a partner. But Mick Taylor was an incredible virtuoso. Brian wasn't, he was a good all-round player, and Ronnie's the same. He'll play wonderful bottleneck guitar and pedal steel -- any instrument, like Brian -- but Mick gave our music terrific lyricism. Ronnie is a very likeable person, a great sense of humor. Musically, he didn't bring anything, but he has this facility to add to things."

Charlie Watts, Mojo Magazine 2003.

"Charlie is good tonight, ain't he?"

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 25, 2013 16:54

GravityBoy

Ha ha, look at crazy Zig in the back! Thanks, this picture made my day!

Date: April 25, 2013 16:55

I wouldn't have cracked a bad joke at Keith in that moment...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: April 25, 2013 17:03

I'll take it a step further...Ronnie should get to front a song in the Stones set.

Posted by: DoomandGloom ()
Date: April 25, 2013 17:18

Mathijs
Many people don't like Wood because of his clowning around on stage. Well, that's not his fault entirely. For the 'comeback tour' in 1989 Jagger basically won the feud with Richards, and had it his way concerning the setup of the band and the stage, which all basically was taken from the Jagger solo tour template. This meant much less focus on the guitars, and much more focus on synths, piano and brass. This went on until at least the 1999 tour, when it basically was too late for Wood: he lost many of his skills.

And that is just like Taylor: Taylor also is a shadow of his former selve. It's great he will join the Stones this tour, but don't expect miracles. Taylor has been rusty, sloppy and full of mistakes for the last 20 years. He lost much of his fluidity and smoothness. Is that strange? I guess not, they simply all got old.

Mathijs
This is the silliest cause and effect analysis imaginable.. You should work for The FBI...

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 17:19 by DoomandGloom.

Posted by: buttons67 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 17:48

never really seen the point in comparing wood with taylor or jones for that matter.

the rolling stones have been on the go for the best part of 51 years, they have changed personel, attitude, direction, ambition and creativity through all of them years.

they have had periods of staleness and periods of inspiration right through the entire 51 years.

brian jones was awesome for the stones in the period he was there, the band changed and taylor fitted into a period of greatness for the stones, then ronnie wood came along and helped carry the band forward for the last 38 years, its true the band produce less in the way of creativity as they have got older but to knock the ronnie wood period and his contribution is disrespectfull.

i wonder where the band would be today had taylor not quit, or if brian had cleaned up prior to being sacked, but we can only deal with what happened and wood has been excellent for the stones, involved in some great,good and not so good albums and also can and has played numerous stones songs written and performed long before he joined the band.

wood, like jones, taylor, richards, jagger, watts and wyman is part of the legend which is the stones.

well done ronnie.

Date: April 25, 2013 17:54

Mathijs

Mathijs

That damn Jagger - he sure is a really scary guy. I bet there was a torture chamber involved when he won this war with Richards.

Date: April 25, 2013 17:55

wanderingspirit66
Mathijs

Mathijs

That damn Jagger - he sure is a really scary guy. I bet there was a torture chamber involved when he won this war with Richards.

The torture was 4 years without Stones activity...

Date: April 25, 2013 17:59

heu... no smiling smiley

"The Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility. Now Keith won't say that; Keith, I think, would prefer to play with Ronnie as a partner. But Mick Taylor was an incredible virtuoso. Brian wasn't, he was a good all-round player, and Ronnie's the same. He'll play wonderful bottleneck guitar and pedal steel -- any instrument, like Brian -- but Mick gave our music terrific lyricism. Ronnie is a very likeable person, a great sense of humor. Musically, he didn't bring anything, but he has this facility to add to things."

Charlie Watts, Mojo Magazine 2003.
buttons67
never really seen the point in comparing wood with taylor or jones for that matter.

the rolling stones have been on the go for the best part of 51 years, they have changed personel, attitude, direction, ambition and creativity through all of them years.

they have had periods of staleness and periods of inspiration right through the entire 51 years.

brian jones was awesome for the stones in the period he was there, the band changed and taylor fitted into a period of greatness for the stones, then ronnie wood came along and helped carry the band forward for the last 38 years, its true the band produce less in the way of creativity as they have got older but to knock the ronnie wood period and his contribution is disrespectfull.

i wonder where the band would be today had taylor not quit, or if brian had cleaned up prior to being sacked, but we can only deal with what happened and wood has been excellent for the stones, involved in some great,good and not so good albums and also can and has played numerous stones songs written and performed long before he joined the band.

wood, like jones, taylor, richards, jagger, watts and wyman is part of the legend which is the stones.

well done ronnie.

Date: April 25, 2013 18:01

DandelionPowderman
wanderingspirit66
Mathijs

Mathijs

The torture was 4 years without Stones activity...

You're right. My apologies. I rememeber now. Keith sacrificed his soul and saved us.....

Posted by: buffalo7478 ()
Date: April 25, 2013 18:09

Show Woody respect like he showed by being wasted and/or careless and playing crappy leads during several tours for paying audiences?

Woody may be one of the nicest guys in rock music. I respect him for that. His playing with the Faces was great. But I am not a fan of his playing with the Stones at all - especially LIVE

Date: April 25, 2013 18:16

Mathijs

Mathijs

Did he? Listen to this snippet from 2012 (Jimmy Fallonshow) and you'll conclude something else.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2013 18:29

Charlie put it well in an above post.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2013 18:45

Ronnie's drug usage during many of those years was appalling and not exactly helpful to the band.

He's a fine guitarist on occasion...

Date: April 25, 2013 19:59

You purely right.

buffalo7478
Show Woody respect like he showed by being wasted and/or careless and playing crappy leads during several tours for paying audiences?

Woody may be one of the nicest guys in rock music. I respect him for that. His playing with the Faces was great. But I am not a fan of his playing with the Stones at all - especially LIVE

Date: April 25, 2013 20:26

All the guitar players in this band have performed wasted on drugs...

Date: April 25, 2013 20:26

Another nice snippet of Taylor playing:

Posted by: runaway ()
Date: April 25, 2013 20:45

Ronnie is Rock and Roll

Posted by: stonehearted ()
Date: April 25, 2013 21:10

wanderingspirit66
Mathijs

Mathijs

I'm sure Keith didn't see it that way. He was just happy to have The Stones back on the road. Besides, Keith was never involved in stage design--that's left to Mick and, to a lesser extent, Charlie--or musical arrangements. He just shows up, plugs in, and plays and he's happy.

Date: April 25, 2013 21:58

Yes... in 1975 smiling smiley

runaway
Ronnie is Rock and Roll

Posted by: vertigojoe ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:37

I'm sure Keith didn't see it that way. He was just happy to have The Stones back on the road. Besides, Keith was never involved in stage design--that's left to Mick and, to a lesser extent, Charlie--or musical arrangements. He just shows up, plugs in, and plays and he's happy.[/quote]

Sorry I can't have that. Pre 1989 Keith was the musical director and band leader. He was the heartbeat of the band. Sadly replaced by a click track for the Vegas era. And there you find the reason for the endless debate about "Vegas".
It's soulless. It leaves you cold.

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:41

I just dont understand why so many Stones haters post on this site.
If I felt the way so many here seem to, I would never even open this site.

Dang.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 25, 2013 22:56

Blame the vain

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 25, 2013 23:15

Respect is earned. For years Ronnie played like crap with the Stones live. Consequently I didn't have a whole lot of respect for him. last December he was focused, and played quite well. None of the guitar players (including Taylor) are as good as they were 30 or 40 years ago. I wish it wasn't the case, but it's true. I am looking forward to all three of them onstage playing better than they have in years.

Date: April 25, 2013 23:16

I can love the Stones (especially until 1975 it's true) and criticize Ron Wood playing !

Max'sKansasCity
I just dont understand why so many Stones haters post on this site.
If I felt the way so many here seem to, I would never even open this site.

Dang.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 23:17 by roby.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 4 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1776
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home