Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6
Re: Show Woody some respect..
Date: April 24, 2013 15:54

I love that Faces-video...

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2013 15:55

GravityBoy
Leave Woody alone.

That is a beautiful, classic, ugly-cry.

Posted by: ronkeith72 ()
Date: April 24, 2013 18:32

I'd take Mick Taylor on his worst day over Ronnie on his best day but old Woody has done just fine recently, especially since he has embraced sobriety. Having the 3 of them on guitar is a freaking party so lets dance. See you all in LA.

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 24, 2013 18:38

treaclefingers
GravityBoy
Leave Woody alone.

Did you ever see this?

Brilliant.

Posted by: Turning To Gold ()
Date: April 24, 2013 19:03

It happens all the time in professional sports. You hire another player at the same position, it puts pressure on the current "starter" to perform better at his position for the team. That's exactly what I think is happening here. Ron Wood is a great, brilliant guitarist who has gotten really sloppy and out of it at various periods over the years, in fact there was a period there where I think he took it for granted that he was a Stone, and got really sloppy, clowny, not really listening to himself onstage, etc. Now that Taylor is having a guest shot and appearing on the resurrected Exile recordings, people are making comparisons, and Ron Wood seems to be very much back on his "A game." Even though Taylor is never going to realistically challenge Ron Wood for his spot, it puts him on his guard, which is exactly how it works with this kind of thing in professional sports.

Posted by: roby ()
Date: April 24, 2013 19:33

Ron Wood is funny. Nobody can raise arms on stage like him.

Posted by: mtaylor ()
Date: April 24, 2013 19:33

Lots of respect to Ronnie - take a look at the 1978 tour and the movie from Texas, great Ronnie playing

Date: April 24, 2013 19:39

Posted by: jivingsister ()
Date: April 24, 2013 22:25

Turning To Gold
It happens all the time in professional sports. You hire another player at the same position, it puts pressure on the current "starter" to perform better at his position for the team. That's exactly what I think is happening here. Ron Wood is a great, brilliant guitarist who has gotten really sloppy and out of it at various periods over the years, in fact there was a period there where I think he took it for granted that he was a Stone, and got really sloppy, clowny, not really listening to himself onstage, etc. Now that Taylor is having a guest shot and appearing on the resurrected Exile recordings, people are making comparisons, and Ron Wood seems to be very much back on his "A game." Even though Taylor is never going to realistically challenge Ron Wood for his spot, it puts him on his guard, which is exactly how it works with this kind of thing in professional sports.

Couldn't agree with you more. Ronnie has to improve his performance to justify the high prices of the tickets as being funny and animated is not enough.

Date: April 24, 2013 23:55

Good luck Ronnie smiling smiley

Date: April 25, 2013 05:48

GravityBoy
treaclefingers
GravityBoy
Leave Woody alone.

Did you ever see this?

Brilliant.

LOL< dont be dissing CC.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 25, 2013 06:20

Does Woody ever find time to spend with his children?

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 25, 2013 07:46

andrewt
Ron Wood rocks, man.

Yes he does, he is one of the best rockers ever and good man too. I have never heard Ronnie quoted as saying a dim word about anyone, but that doesnt stop the dumb fks from their non stop shit slinging at him.

Good for Ronnie for not being a quitter like that quitter Mick Taylor, who only lasted 5 years before quitting. What a running joke that some people continue to clamor for Taylor, while Ronnie has been doing his job as a Rolling Stone for over 35 years, and had never once made even a qip about quitting like that quitter Taylor did.

Posted by: SweetThing ()
Date: April 25, 2013 08:48

Max'sKansasCity
andrewt
Ron Wood rocks, man.

Yes he does, he is one of the best rockers ever and good man too. I have never heard Ronnie quoted as saying a dim word about anyone, but that doesnt stop the dumb fks from their non stop shit slinging at him.

Good for Ronnie for not being a quitter like that quitter Mick Taylor, who only lasted 5 years before quitting. What a running joke that some people continue to clamor for Taylor, while Ronnie has been doing his job as a Rolling Stone for over 35 years, and had never once made even a qip about quitting like that quitter Taylor did.

Aw come on Max - as Mick Jagger said at the time of Taylor leaving, "its not the army". Most folks, dumb or not, are looking at it from a music perspective (including among them most that might not want Taylor back I am guessing), not as an HR rep of Rolling Stones Corporation.. "lets see, quit abruptly, lets check the do-not-rehire box".

Taylor (and presumably Jones and Bill Wyman) probably gave all they could under whatever their circumstances - and it was quite good.

As for Ronnie though, I agree, a class act in terms of not badmouthing his peers. {The one One lone exception I can think of was an interview he gave with Mick Jagger probably in connection with promoting ER. He tore into Eric Clapton and Jagger had to admonish him to be careful and that the tape was on]

But anyway on with the appreciation of the mighty mighty Ronnie Woooooood...two of my favorites -

video: [www.dailymotion.com]

Date: April 25, 2013 08:50

Hmmm, well here's the other one...

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: April 25, 2013 08:53

Many people don't like Wood because of his clowning around on stage. Well, that's not his fault entirely. For the 'comeback tour' in 1989 Jagger basically won the feud with Richards, and had it his way concerning the setup of the band and the stage, which all basically was taken from the Jagger solo tour template. This meant much less focus on the guitars, and much more focus on synths, piano and brass. This went on until at least the 1999 tour, when it basically was too late for Wood: he lost many of his skills.

And that is just like Taylor: Taylor also is a shadow of his former selve. It's great he will join the Stones this tour, but don't expect miracles. Taylor has been rusty, sloppy and full of mistakes for the last 20 years. He lost much of his fluidity and smoothness. Is that strange? I guess not, they simply all got old.

Mathijs

Date: April 25, 2013 09:05

SweetThing
Max'sKansasCity
andrewt
Ron Wood rocks, man.

Aw come on Max - as Mick Jagger said at the time of Taylor leaving, "its not the army". Most folks, dumb or not, are looking at it from a music perspective (including among them most that might not want Taylor back I am guessing), not as an HR rep of Rolling Stones Corporation.. "lets see, quit abruptly, lets check the do-not-rehire box".

Taylor (and presumably Jones and Bill Wyman) probably gave all they could under whatever their circumstances - and it was quite good.

As for Ronnie though, I agree, a class act in terms of not badmouthing his peers. {The one One lone exception I can think of was an interview he gave with Mick Jagger probably in connection with promoting ER. He tore into Eric Clapton and Jagger had to admonish him to be careful and that the tape was on]

But anyway on with the appreciation of the mighty mighty Ronnie Woooooood...two of my favorites -

Yes, I suppose they did give all they could (and yes it was good), could give no more and that is why they moved on...

I bet being a member of this band (and a lower/non-paid on albums member at that) is not as easy as it may seem, it requires a certain type of badass to do it on a long long term basis, and I think Ronnie has done his job superbly... but what does he hear from certain "fans" on a constant basis? He hears a bunch of goofballs whining and crying and insulting him and wanting/wishing to kick him out and wish to bring back a guy who quit. I like Taylor's contribution quite a lot, I always have, but he quit and moved on... and that is that.

Ronnie Wood is a badass rock and roller. LONG LIVE RONNIE!!!

SweetThing

[video] [www.dailymotion.com] [/url]
WOW! Thanks for sharing that SweetThing, that is awesome!

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 09:27 by Max'sKansasCity.

Date: April 25, 2013 09:39

Max'sKansasCity
SweetThing
Max'sKansasCity
andrewt
Ron Wood rocks, man.

Yes, I suppose they did give all they could (and yes it was good), could give no more and that is why they moved on...

Being a member of this band (and a lower/non-paid on albums member at that) is not as easy as it may seem, it requires a certain type of badass to do it on al ong long term basis, and I think Ronnie has done his job superbly... but what does he hear from certain "fans" on a constant basis? He hears a bunch of goofballs whining and crying and wanting to kick him out and bring back a guy who quit. I like Taylor's contribution quite a lot, but he moved on.... and that is that.

Yeah, I think Charlie put it best at one point. They had the right players (Jones/Taylor/Wood) at the right time. That was diplomatic of course, but I suspect it was sincere as well.

btw, check this out.

Posted by: leatherjacket ()
Date: April 25, 2013 09:44

Max'sKansasCity
SweetThing
Max'sKansasCity
andrewt
Ron Wood rocks, man.

I bet being a member of this band (and a lower/non-paid on albums member at that) is not as easy as it may seem, it requires a certain type of badass to do it on a long long term basis, and I think Ronnie has done his job superbly... but what does he hear from certain "fans" on a constant basis? He hears a bunch of goofballs whining and crying and insulting him and wanting/wishing to kick him out and wish to bring back a guy who quit. I like Taylor's contribution quite a lot, I always have, but he quit and moved on... and that is that.

SweetThing

[video] [www.dailymotion.com] [/url]
WOW! Thanks for sharing that SweetThing, that is awesome!

Ist great and again it shows how close he si with Rod in style and moves. He will always be a "Face" and never be a "Stone"

Date: April 25, 2013 09:46

jivingsister
Turning To Gold

Couldn't agree with you more. Ronnie has to improve his performance to justify the high prices of the tickets as being funny and animated is not enough.

What is this? He already improved his playing, no need to speculate whether he won't do that again a few months after the last tour...

Posted by: GravityBoy ()
Date: April 25, 2013 09:47

SweetThing

This proves my Ron Wood is the Forrest Gump of rock theory.

There isn't anyone he hasn't snuck up on.

Date: April 25, 2013 09:54

DandelionPowderman
jivingsister
Turning To Gold

What is this? He already improved his playing, no need to speculate whether he won't do that again a few months after the last tour...

No kidding, even the regular Ronnie bashers were impressed and complimenting him after the December shows...

....but such short memories some people have, and how funny how soon they fall back on the same old shit sayings... which is why it is best to stay out of Ronnie versus anyone else debates.

Ronnie has been a Rolling Stone 7-10 times longer than any of the guys he replaced, Ronnie is more of a Rolling Stone than anyone... and as for the people who bash on Ronnie having fun on stage... how sad for you that you view rock shows as lectures not fun parties.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 09:57 by Max'sKansasCity.

Posted by: Redhotcarpet ()
Date: April 25, 2013 10:39

Max'sKansasCity
andrewt
Ron Wood rocks, man.

You tell em! That quiter Taylor is no good! angry smiley

Date: April 25, 2013 10:52

"The Mick Taylor period was a creative peak for us. A tremendous jump in musical credibility. Now Keith won't say that; Keith, I think, would prefer to play with Ronnie as a partner. But Mick Taylor was an incredible virtuoso. Brian wasn't, he was a good all-round player, and Ronnie's the same. He'll play wonderful bottleneck guitar and pedal steel -- any instrument, like Brian -- but Mick gave our music terrific lyricism. Ronnie is a very likeable person, a great sense of humor. Musically, he didn't bring anything, but he has this facility to add to things."

Charlie Watts, Mojo Magazine 2003.

Date: April 25, 2013 11:07

"Musically, he didn't bring anything".

I hate to correct Charlie, but Ronnie actually was the first guitarist that brought some cool songs to the Stones thumbs up

Posted by: Rolling Hansie ()
Date: April 25, 2013 11:08

Max'sKansasCity
which is why it is best to stay out of Ronnie versus anyone else debates.

which is why it is best to stay out of Ronnie versus anyone else debates.

-------------------
Keep On Rolling smoking smiley

Date: April 25, 2013 11:29

Let the music do the talking:

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 25, 2013 12:39

Woody played in a very high level during the TOTA 1975 tour. What happened after that tour?? His skill dropped dramatically. Why??

Date: April 25, 2013 13:57

KeithNacho
Woody played in a very high level during the TOTA 1975 tour. What happened after that tour?? His skill dropped dramatically. Why??

It hadn't dropped in 1978 (Live in Texas), so I'm not sure what you're talking about?

His role became different, and Keith gradually became a more natural solo guitar player. By 1997, Ronnie struggled more and more with drinking and drugs.

In 2012 he got the needed space in the soundscape, and played wonderfully on the gig I catched.

No skilled dropped at all here thumbs up

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-25 14:00 by DandelionPowderman.

Posted by: KeithNacho ()
Date: April 25, 2013 14:14

The work he did with the songs previously played by Taylor in the TOTA tour was awsome. In 1978 the set list was not so for virtuoso.
Anyway, i love Ronnie too much, i like his style and his solo works. His guitars in Dirty Work an SW were wonderful too

Goto Page: Previous123456Next
Current Page: 3 of 6

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1932
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home