Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5
Mick Jagger please stop playing it safe!
Posted by: rambler44 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 06:37

MICK JAGGER PLEASE STOP PLAYING IT SAFE!!!

So first the ticket prices finally got to me on this tour. I paid $180 to be 7 rows from the very top at the Newark PPV show. And yes the Stones played great and the guests were good.

Now I am seeing the reports from the rehearsals and hearing Mick Jagger's comments about fans wanting to hear just the hits and fans not wanting new music and I am getting downright disgusted. Stop playing to the casual fan Mick Jagger!! Hardcore true Rolling Stones fans like the ones on this site DO NOT FEEL THAT WAY!

The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band ever. They have made so many great albums that contain so many amazing songs. Yet Mick Jagger (and yes I feel this falls squarely on his shoulders and not the others) ignores the majority of their work as if it didn't exist. STOP PLAYING IT SAFE MICK!! You are the Rolling Stones for Christ sake!

It's 50 and Counting Mick, which means there are not many chances left. You are fleecing the fans at this point by playing basically the same set list tour after tour. And you do this at a time your contemporaries are giving back to their fans in big ways like playing entire albums on stage. You are bringing Mick
Taylor back. How awesome would it be to play Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile (Let it Loose please!), Some Girls,or Tattoo You (how great would Slave be live!!) played in their entirety on any given night with a few more rare gems throw in and still you could end the show 6 or 7 War Horses.

I honestly believe the reaction to the Stones playing a show like this would be tremendous and I know many true fans like myself are tired of going to a show and basically getting the Hot Rocks album.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-24 12:05 by bv.

Re: MICK JAGGER PLEASE STOP PLAYING IT SAFE!!!
Posted by: 24FPS ()
Date: April 22, 2013 07:31

Hell, you'd think they'd be bored playing the same old FM Radio staples over and over. I guess they don't get that itch that other artists do to stretch out. And it's not like they'd have to play obscure stuff. Throw in Plundered My Soul. It was a charting record. You've got Mick Taylor for the leads on it.

So Young is a hoot and would be great to hear. Heaven has never been tried on stage. I mentioned Backstreet Girl in other thread. These are songs you don't have to stop the proceedings and announce you're doing something different. Just do them and let the audience catch up to them. Remember how cool it was to play Ruby Tuesday on the Steel Wheels tour? Or how you played 2000 Light Years From Home and the audience ate it up?

For gods sake, hire someone to listen to your catalogue and make suggestions. From what I'm seeing on your rehearsal sheets you ain't exactly exerting yourselves.

Date: April 22, 2013 07:45

rambler44
So first the ticket prices finally got to me on this tour. I paid $180 to be 7 rows from the very top at the Newark PPV show. And yes the Stones played great and the guests were good.

Now I am seeing the reports from the rehearsals and hearing Mick Jagger's comments about fans wanting to hear just the hits and fans not wanting new music and I am getting downright disgusted. Stop playing to the casual fan Mick Jagger!! Hardcore true Rolling Stones fans like the ones on this site DO NOT FEEL THAT WAY!

The Stones are the greatest rock and roll band ever. They have made so many great albums that contain so many amazing songs. Yet Mick Jagger (and yes I feel this falls squarely on his shoulders and not the others) ignores the majority of their work as if it didn't exist. STOP PLAYING IT SAFE MICK!! You are the Rolling Stones for Christ sake!

It's 50 and Counting Mick, which means there are not many chances left. You are fleecing the fans at this point by playing basically the same set list tour after tour. And you do this at a time your contemporaries are giving back to their fans in big ways like playing entire albums on stage. You are bringing Mick
Taylor back. How awesome would it be to play Beggars Banquet, Let it Bleed, Sticky Fingers, Exile (Let it Loose please!), Some Girls,or Tattoo You (how great would Slave be live!!) played in their entirety on any given night with a few more rare gems throw in and still you could end the show 6 or 7 War Horses.

I honestly believe the reaction to the Stones playing a show like this would be tremendous and I know many true fans like myself are tired of going to a show and basically getting the Hot Rocks album.

thumbs upthumbs up

Date: April 22, 2013 07:50

24FPS
Hell, you'd think they'd be bored playing the same old FM Radio staples over and over. I guess they don't get that itch that other artists do to stretch out. And it's not like they'd have to play obscure stuff. Throw in Plundered My Soul. It was a charting record. You've got Mick Taylor for the leads on it.

So Young is a hoot and would be great to hear. Heaven has never been tried on stage. I mentioned Backstreet Girl in other thread. These are songs you don't have to stop the proceedings and announce you're doing something different. Just do them and let the audience catch up to them. Remember how cool it was to play Ruby Tuesday on the Steel Wheels tour? Or how you played 2000 Light Years From Home and the audience ate it up?

For gods sake, hire someone to listen to your catalogue and make suggestions. From what I'm seeing on your rehearsal sheets you ain't exactly exerting yourselves.

thumbs upthumbs up

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 22, 2013 07:52

And you do this at a time your contemporaries are giving back to their fans in big ways like playing entire albums on stage. You are bringing Mick

Yep, like playing Out of our Heads...and I won't complain over ticketprices I promise...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: backstreetboy1 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 08:13

great point

Posted by: keefriff99 ()
Date: April 22, 2013 08:31

Someone should compile a list of all the songs the Stones have played since the "Vegas" era started in '89.

I bet people would be shocked at the variety of songs.

Yes, too many tours have fallen victim to ultra-safe greatest hits setlists, but they really have dug into their back catalog more than most people think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 08:32 by keefriff99.

Posted by: RollingFreak ()
Date: April 22, 2013 08:40

I agree with all the sentiments here. This can only be close to the end. Spread yourselves out, and really, who gives a crap if the audience doesn't like it. Its not like its how the Stones will be remembered, and they don't really need to keep crowd pleasing as its not like they have much a future to care about.

keefriff99
Someone should compile a list of all the songs the Stones have played since the "Vegas" era started in '89.

Yes, too many tours have fallen victim to ultra-safe greatest hits setlists, but they really have dug into their back catalog more than most people think.
Yes, that is very true. But on a tour thats so short, and possibly their last or one of them, and since they are charging so much, they should spread themselves more. Yes, they have played stuff like 2000 Light Years From Home, I Got The Blues, other rarities of that nature. But when its only for a few times it almost barely counts. I like that they are attempting them, but for god sake, be proud of your catalogue and forget about the audience! You guys have been around for 50 years. Its been more than enough time for most of your audience to have seen you once and go through the catalogue, or at the least the popular albums in full. They have dug deeper than most remember, but its way too rare for a band of their stature.

Posted by: frankotero ()
Date: April 22, 2013 08:44

You're right keefriff99. But those rarities were not played very often. Still I think the list would top 100 songs, since Steel Wheels tour.

Posted by: 71Tele ()
Date: April 22, 2013 10:54

Play Exile from start to finish one night, Sticky the next, LIB the next, etc. That would at least be interesting.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2013 10:58

Decades ago I would have agreed with you. By now they should stay with the warhorses and mix in maybe 2-3 new songs. Like the Vegas standard receipe. You might wish for this or that song but it won't be well executed on stage. Remember, they are old, some of them fighting illnesses or addictions and they spend maximum a couple of weeks (a year) rehearsing these days.

Posted by: noughties ()
Date: April 22, 2013 11:35

Problem is many concert goers go to a Stones concert just to have fun.

Date: April 22, 2013 11:40

The most important thing is that they know how to play the songs. A good JJF is better than a trainwreck-ish Let It Loose, imo.

That said, they really have the chance of presenting some obscure stuff from the Taylor era now - and should definitely do so.

From the rehearsal lists it doesn't look like they will, though...

Posted by: EddieByword ()
Date: April 22, 2013 11:53

rambler44

This is exactly what Lou Reed did in 1992, he played the whole of Magic and Loss followed by the usual, Sweet Jane etc etc, but even those were expertly re-arranged.......Played quietly......

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 11:54 by EddieByword.

Posted by: Stoneage ()
Date: April 22, 2013 12:01

You are right, Dandelion. The real question is what they do with the "rare" songs on stage. In some cases they come out playing them and it sounds like they have rehearsed it once just a couple of days before the gig.
The 2002-03 tour was some kind of exception though where they seemed to handle some of the more rare songs quite well. Will they be able to that in 2013?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 13:24 by Stoneage.

Posted by: RoughJusticeOnYa ()
Date: April 22, 2013 12:23

keefriff99

...I agree. I MADE such a list - for the 29 concerts I've seen (since 1990) up till now; and the variety was WAY bigger then anybody (here) would think.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 14:07 by RoughJusticeOnYa.

Date: April 22, 2013 13:05

I think the problem is that the last half of the show (and partly the order of songs) is somewhat un-altered.

Posted by: TheBlockbuster ()
Date: April 22, 2013 13:56

On the 5 shows in 2012 these songs were played that could be considered ''rare'':

I Wanna Be Your Man
Get Off Of My Cloud
It's All Over Now
All Down The Line
Going Down
Out Of Control
The Last Time
Lady Jane
Champagne And Reefer
Live With Me
Respectable
Around And Around
Dead Flowers
Who Do You Love

Thats 14 rare (not obscure) songs of totally 31 played on the 50 & counting tour.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 14:04 by TheBlockbuster.

Posted by: Rokyfan ()
Date: April 22, 2013 15:18

They're going to do the same thing they always do. They're not changing at this point.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 22, 2013 15:44

noughties
Problem is many concert goers go to a Stones concert just to have fun.

Disgusting! Obviously not real fans.

Please, Mick, try something a bit different and grit your teeth and persist for more than one performance even if you don't get instant recognition and deafening applause the first time. Your audience is probably a lot more patient about these things than you are!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 22, 2013 15:47

The truth of the matter is that they could play a whole set (or 2) of big hits that are rarely, if ever, played - instead of the same old dozen or so. IORR itself was not the big hit they seem to believe.

Ex. The Last Time instead of Satisfaction.

Posted by: leteyer ()
Date: April 22, 2013 16:04

I think that he was talking about the "real", "hard core" fans that don't like any of their music since EOME. There are plenty here.

Posted by: duke richardson ()
Date: April 22, 2013 16:10

Try " Torn And Frayed" again, with Mick Taylor.

it didn't go too well last time ('02) but give it another go!

Date: April 22, 2013 17:03

leteyer
I think that he was talking about the "real", "hard core" fans that don't like any of their music since EOME. There are plenty here.

If you are referring to me, I was referring to those of us who have been Stones fans for most of our lives and love so many great songs they ignore in concert. and for me that is not restricted to any era. They could play the entire Voodoo Lounge album in concert and I would love it. Or play gems like Too Much Blood, Had it With You, One Hit, Where the Boys Go, Slave, Sparks Will Fly, Already Over Me, Mixed Emotions, etc...

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 22, 2013 17:11

24FPS

So Young is a hoot and would be great to hear. Heaven has never been tried on stage. I mentioned Backstreet Girl in other thread.

You have 3 potential Titanics here, sir! They'd never work onstage.
Put yourself in Jagger's shoes : they have to play songs people will know, not some bloody obscure song the 1% in the audience (aka the hardcore fans) want to hear.
"Heaven" with its slow tempo and its repetitive structure is a guaranteed disaster live.

They can risk playing a lesser-known track like "Sway" or "M-Mile" but that's about as far as they can go.

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: April 22, 2013 17:13

Plus Keith and Ron rely on knuckle memory these days so a setlist full of never-played-before tracks is a fantasy.

Posted by: John&Trish ()
Date: April 22, 2013 17:19

How about Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie just pick whatever THEY feel like playing...would love to hear their picks. What a concert that would be!

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2013 17:22

John&Trish
How about Mick, Keith, Charlie & Ronnie just pick whatever THEY feel like playing...would love to hear their picks. What a concert that would be!

That would be far too dangerous...we need to pick for them.

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 22, 2013 17:52

Munichhilton
John&Trish

That would be far too dangerous...we need to pick for them.

just you, john & trish?

Date: April 22, 2013 17:54

John&Trish

Perhaps we should leave Mick out of it since he has been the one picking the same tired setlist for the past 20 years.

Goto Page: 12345Next
Current Page: 1 of 5

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1505
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home