Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

O/T Help with new speakers
Posted by: KYdavid ()
Date: February 18, 2005 18:43

Can someone help me out? This is my 1st post. I've loved the stones since I was 5 (41 years!). My speakers blew while listening to my 1st stones bootleg "Handsome Girls" I saw that tour in chicago. I have a 1980 ONKYO A-10 integrated amp that I love and have been using Advent loudspeakers. I now need 2 new tweeters and a wolfer to get them working again. I think it's time for some new speakers, but I have no idea what kind to get. I'd like to keep the cost below $500 US. Any suggestions? By the way right now on the radio they are playing the Devo version of "Satisfaction" Luv it.

Re: O/T Help with new speakers
Posted by: Potted Shrimp ()
Date: February 18, 2005 18:51

I've got the same Onkyo amp. I use two Wharfedale Denton 2XP speakers (and two others) Old stuff, but very warm sound.

Posted by: winter ()
Date: February 18, 2005 18:56

everybody's ears and listening rooms (acoustics) are different. there are, obviously, lots of great speakers out there. one thing you could do if you don't want to stick with Advent is to go to a stereo store with one of your stones boots and test a few models out with an amp close to the specs of your Onkyo.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: February 18, 2005 18:56

I've got a Denon receiver with Bouwer & Wilkens threeway speakers. The &W are very clear with a warm touch. Tweeters included.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-19 13:43 by bartman.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 18, 2005 19:23

100% satisfied by my linn speakers. Small ones in fact, but superb quality!

C

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 18, 2005 19:30

hi kydavid, IF YOU HAVE A GOOD CD PLAYER, amp and preamp?

anyway its hard to beat for the money..get the dynaudio 62 or 72's

they have made tweeters for many of the high end speaker makers in the past and they make one of the best speakers in the world! just listen to them!
i have a rega planet cd player, b&k amp and a fret2 pre amp and the speakers make it complete... the stones never sounded better... check out
www.soundexonline.com
they are a high end dealer with some great links... you can get the 62's for about $600.. you will love the sound..i would get the 72's

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 18, 2005 21:06

Being from Canada, I can recommend three good Canadian speaker companies that always get good reviews in the stereo magazines: Paradigm, Energy and PSB.
I don't know where you live so I'm not sure of the availability but I would recommend that you give them a listen if you can.

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 18, 2005 23:35

I'm with our Canadian friend above. I've owned numerous pairs of Paradigms and now a wonderful pair of Enyrgys. For the money (the money you are talking about) you can't go wrong with either company.

The Advents served you well but even if you replace the tweeters the woofers are likely rotting away. With Paradigms or Enyrgys you'll be stunned at the improvement. Those old Advents don't move enough air to handle digital reproduction.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 2473
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home