Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

OT - Elvis Presley - An American Trilogy
Posted by: The Joker ()
Date: February 18, 2005 14:42

This song cannot be classified in any music style. By all formal standards, it is kitsch and rococo - and you may even ask yourself how Elvis and his band put it together.

But every time I listen to it, I get thrilled, felling cold-skinned, with a mix of joy and sadness.

Even with Las Vegas style – or, to the contrary, maybe enhanced by it - An American Trilogy definitely embodies the last, glorious, and decadent Elvis years.

I would dare to call it his Midnight Rambler, not musically of course, but because it is his musical live masterpiece, a stage peak, a number that no one can match, or put into shape without being ridiculous. Only Elvis could

Re: OT - Elvis Presley - An American Trilogy
Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: February 18, 2005 14:50

For me, definitive live version is from his Aloha from Hawaii concert in 73.
It was just before he slipped into the abyss both personally & professionally.

Although a somewhat subdued performance, that concert captures Elvis singing it one more time for the broken hearted.

"you know your Daddy's bound to die" Chilling stuff and sadly prophetic.

Posted by: bartman ()
Date: February 18, 2005 14:58

Yes indeed. I just listened to Elvis on stage and the cd Promised land. His version of the Chuck Berry song is so cool. I'm looking for a live version of it.

Posted by: Bärs ()
Date: February 18, 2005 21:54

The Aloha version is simply brilliant.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1912
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home