Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2
lets spend the night together,(the movie)
Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 18, 2005 01:20

yesterday i went from the mainland china to hongkong to do a visa run,while i was over there i went into a cd shop and i found on vcd lets spend the night together the movie.

this was my 1st live experince with the rolling stones,i saw this movie on the big screen in 1983.
i love this stones movie anyway they had 3 copies of this in the shop so i bought all 3,are these rear vcds

on the cover it says this

a hal ashby film
lets spen the night to gether
on the back its got the track list and its in panorama vision
i have a copy for myself and 2 spare that have not been opend,(anyone interested)while i was in hongkong i finalily got achance to get livelicks but have not listend to it yet.

who has seen lets spen the night together?what did you think of the movie?

Re: lets spend the night together,(the movie)
Posted by: Shawn20 ()
Date: February 18, 2005 01:24

I saw the movie on back to back showing the first Friday night it opened. I loved it....it was a very good representative of the 81 tour. I loved Beast of Burden as the sun was setting. I was always a bit dissappointed in the sound....I can't put my finger on it....but the sound seemed ordinary, not up to the Rolling Stones standard.

Posted by: T&A ()
Date: February 18, 2005 01:52

it stinks

Posted by: mikesnaps ()
Date: February 18, 2005 02:32

In Australia LSTNT was released with title "Time is on our side".
It was 1985 when I saw this film. I had only 'discovered' the Stones that year.
Prior to watching this 81 tour film I had seen the Stones on video at Hyde Park '69 & the hard to obtain ( at the time) Gimme Shelter movie.

I was incredibly disapointed with Time is on our side. The guitar playing was horrible, their signature riffs watered down and plain pedestrian. Jagger was stil the ultimate showman but unfortunately was just barking out the lyrics. So unfortunately not my favourite Stones performance, stick to Ladies & Gentlemen & Gimme Shelter instead.

Posted by: DGA35 ()
Date: February 18, 2005 03:38

I actually really liked the movie. Don't care for the song editing, though. I like the way they play Waiting On A Friend in 81. Keith is hilarious during Can't Always Get..., posing, goofing around.
Anyone notice during Just My Imagination, Mick hits himself in the face with the neck of his guitar as he's doing a twirl?

Date: February 18, 2005 03:48

A great film to watch. I saw it in a theatre back whenever it was released. In fact I saw it several times...on a couple of occasions I was practically the only one in the theatre. Then I got it on VHS. Wish it were available on DVD - legal copy that is. It was just a fun-time event.

Posted by: mandu ()
Date: February 18, 2005 03:56

the copies i have are legal
but they are vcd

Posted by: Gazza ()
Date: February 18, 2005 05:21

the best bit of the movie is that great aerial shot of Sun Devil Stadium at the start as they open the show with Under My thumb

Visually, the film is very good

But its ruined by the editing.

Posted by: davido ()
Date: February 18, 2005 06:14

You could do worse. I suppose Stones stuff
is hard to find in China. Enjoy, now
you've got a glimpse of the 81 tour.

Posted by: Edward Twining ()
Date: February 18, 2005 09:32

Mikesnaps expresses my view exactly - i don't think it reflects the Stones at their best by any means. The only thing it has though which is sadly lacking today is an air of spontanaeity.

Posted by: liddas ()
Date: February 18, 2005 10:26

I used to have it on VHS. Must be more or less 15 years that I have not seen it. I am waiting for an official release on DVD now (it seems to be only available in Japan on this format). As far as I can remember it, it was great! And the backstage before the show starts is priceless

C

Posted by: LOGIE ()
Date: February 18, 2005 13:12

Not good.

Posted by: Greg ()
Date: February 18, 2005 13:38

Love it. Captures some great and magical moments like when the curtain opens and they hit the stage and the Imagination jam during sunset. Great visuals!

The thing that bugs me is the speeded up sound that starts hurting my ears after an half an hour or so. Plus the movements of the Stones, crowd and security guards look so unnatural because of it; makes them all look like coked up actors from the early stages of cinema.

Still, it captures the 81 tour in it's essence: a big party, pure clebration.

----------------------------
"Music is the frozen tapioca in the ice chest of history."

"Shit!... No shit, awright!"

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-18 15:43 by Greg.

Posted by: melillo ()
Date: February 18, 2005 16:44

I think its great,watch it alot mostly for the sun devil parts

Posted by: hot stuff ()
Date: February 18, 2005 16:48

i went to see it with my brother when it first opened and was very disappointed with it.. i also got the movie on vhs..it was kinda of dull,, i went to see them on that tour and it was much better than the movie.. it didn't really catch the true excitement of the stones live..too much edited...anyway as soon as it come on dvd i'll get it again... i'm a true stones freak..ha

Posted by: R ()
Date: February 18, 2005 23:44

The editing is horrid in places, beginning about 20 minutes into the film. Some songs are chopped worse than "Live Licks." There are some backstage cutaways. The most amusing is Mick raising hell with an obviously inebriated Ronnie, pointing at his watch whilst Ronnie stumbles around with a bottle of Heineken.

The jump to the Maryland arena show is sort of abrupt.

All in all the movie is a good document of the 1981 tour but it feels like they ran out of money to finish it properly.

Posted by: Berlin ()
Date: February 19, 2005 00:37

I remember seeing this film the day the film started in Germany in 1983. The cinema in Berlin had one of the biggest sreens in Europe and an outstanding soundsystem. I loved the intro, the first notes of Under my thumb, all the balloons... and then: shock! Charlie`s bald-head right in the middle of this uge screen. Oh my god , they are getting old! But I loved this film, everybody noticed the horribel editing, but it didn`matter. Great athmosphere, great feeling and the audience always loved Keith and Ronnie "singing" Jumping Jack Flash, it`s a gas. But the most important thing: at that time the titel of the film was "Rocks Off" and included "When the Whip Comes Down" with Ronnie`s furious guitar-solos. This tune was one of my favourites and they kicked it, when they changed the Titel to "Let`s spend th night" and brought in some more seconds of backstage-scenes. So I don`t like the later versions cause I miss When the Whip...

Posted by: mckwill ()
Date: February 19, 2005 19:50

Get Hampton '81. LSTNT pales in comparison

Date: February 20, 2005 22:30

I'd agree with mckwill, but unfortunately many folks
don't have acess to what we do, so they have to
settle for the commerical releases. We know
the limits of these, they are many, but
they do usually have quite adequate
sound, picture quality, and are
more readily available. I'd say
mandu was lucky and should enjoy it.

Mandu, can't you download and burn discs from the net?
Does anybody know any good sites where he might
find these other shows?

Posted by: johang ()
Date: February 20, 2005 23:45

Its true the sound really sucks, it would be great to give out a dvd with better sound.

Posted by: Doc ()
Date: February 21, 2005 00:41

I like the movie
It is officially available on DVD in Japan (Region 2 - NTSC)
Made by Canal + video, no bonus, no 5.1, just the good old stereo, but great quality.

Try the Virgin megastores, some of 'em have cool imports like this one

[doctorstonesblog.blogspot.com]

Posted by: harlem shuffle ()
Date: February 22, 2005 02:40

i think its a reel fine consertmowie.very good concert also.they are looking reel good on that consert,it,s pure fun and a great performance.mickand keiths stage performance makes me very happy too see.

Date: February 22, 2005 05:35

Nice Stones page Doc,
have added to my favourites
to check out later!

Posted by: Milo Yammbag ()
Date: February 22, 2005 08:15

The film is what it is, good and bad. I saw it in the theatre on the old big screens (not the crappy little multiplex screens nowadays) and it looked great.

Love during Shattered where they screw up, I think Mick kept singing the chorus over the solo spot. Watch KR slide across the stage and direct traffic

The last tour of the outdoor daytime shows.

The shot from ther chopper swooping over the stadium during Beast of Burden is truly great.

During She's So Cold......Ronnie running around the indoor stage catching Keith by Surprise.

The shot of Keith's torn up boot tapping to the beat.

Stu banging away on a REAL piano

NO GIGANTIC SCREEN THAT EVERYONE HAS TO PLAY UP TO.

Finally, yeah there are some bad edits but there are many moments where Keith and Ron are really playing and slicing it up.

Milo, NYC
Some gasoline

Posted by: Mathijs ()
Date: February 22, 2005 10:22

My first copy was taped from a German TV channel back in about 1985, and I think I watched that video a 1000 times -checking all the moves, all the interplay and copying all the rifs, licks and solo's. To this day, it still is the pinnacle of a stadium conert to me. As I've grown up with this movie, I just can't see Jagger's pants being dated, the edits being bad or whatever. To me, that's the greatest band with one of the greatest shows.

Mathijs

Date: February 22, 2005 10:42

It's from three different shows, isn't it? East Rutherford, Arizona and one other place? However, it's a great concert movie.

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: February 22, 2005 11:27

I thought most of it is taken from East Rutherford Nov 5-6 1981 and Sun Devil Stadium, Tempe Arizona 13 December 81.....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: kahoosier ()
Date: February 23, 2005 03:48

The movie gives me such a sense of nostalgia, when a Stones concert was still a big event. When you see teh stadium shots with Mick from a distance super-imposed against the crowds, you get a sense of what power thses guys has at appoint in time.

That said, it has some of the worst sound I have ever heard on any professionally released concert film. I remember cringing the first time I heard it at a theater.It is impossible to tell who is playing what half the time. I would love for somone to remix the ausio portion of this movie.

Posted by: bruno ()
Date: February 23, 2005 11:25

I remember going to a cinema to watch it when I was about 10. I went with a cousin, he was older then me, obviously... Some movie shots did stick on my mind after I got the VHS six or seven years later: Jagger showing his watch to Ronnie, the aerial view of the stadium...

[There'll be no wedding today...]

Posted by: Rorty ()
Date: February 23, 2005 11:34

After avoiding for some time, I need to add my cents here.

Like to some other people here the movie has a very special place in my own personal Rolling Stones fan history. I catched it when it was in a theatre circuit (82-83?), and I went to see as it might be the only way to 'see' the band in concert, and have something of the experience (I was too young to saw them in Europe 1982 and nothing indicated that there would be any further tours - I think that there seemed to be over-all consensus of that). The movie was an experience, the Stones looked very cool and so near, the venues and big crowds looked fantastic; only problems was that the volume was so low and the sound very muddy; it was very difficult get into the feeling musically.

Afterwards, a year later or something, I got a second generation copy of it on VHS and I kept looking it constantly, although the problem of the lousy sound was even more annoying, and I get know the strange editing decisions (like dropping out the intro of "Brown Sugar", etc.) - well, at least I could play it as loud as my TV set allowed me to do... Later I have got better copys (though not in DVD yet) but nothing seems to save the lousy sound mixation. It makes the band sound so gaddamn lame, though the intensity of playing some songs, and the over all great and over-whelming guitar playing of Keith and Ron is thrilling, fresh and exciting (especially when I looked the film for first time for some ten years and compared it to Four Licks). Jagger sounds too exhausted and sloppy here and then, but with the screen it really doesn't matter. The band just so naturally and loosely rocks and rolls.

I really hope that something could be done to rescue this treasure in soundwise, like Kahoosier guessed. Is it possible to somehow mix it to sound like the material of Still Life? Just think the thrilling opening of the album: The Duke Ellington intro, then the tremendous increase of the noise of audience, the voice "Ladyys, and Gentlemen.. The Rolling Stones!!" and the majestic opening riffs of "Under My Thumb", then the drums, and finally comes in energetic Jagger "Oh yeah!"... Now compare that to opening of the film that basically has the same elements in use PLUS the visual effect. The guitar riffs are almost non-audible, over-all sound is very lame and undistinctive, almost boring... The Stones sound like half--heartedly playing, non-inspirated autopilot rockers..
The same goes on with "Let's Spend The Night Together", "Shattered" and so on..

- Doxa

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 2005-02-23 11:37 by Rorty.

Goto Page: 12Next
Current Page: 1 of 2

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1784
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home