Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 30
Re: High Priced Tickets not Selling
Posted by: OneHit ()
Date: May 1, 2013 06:05

flacnvinyl
The Stones need to do a promo video and just apologize. Heck, AEG could apologize and the Stones could just say 'yeah, glad you did that'. Then after the apology video, make the seats like so...

$1000 - pit tickets, done. Its exclusive, fine.
$500 - best 25% of the seats
$300 - 'most' of the seats in the venue
$175 - good upper deck
$100 - nose bleeds
$85 - 1000 for every show

THAT IS IT. Problem solved.

You can't be serious. These prices are just as outrageous as the actual prices. No band is worth more than $300 no matter where you are in the arena.

Posted by: Hairball ()
Date: May 1, 2013 06:22

uhbuhgullayew
Really wondering why they chose to play 3 shows in Chicago as sales at Soldier Field were terrible in 2006, leading to a half empty stadium.

Speaking of Chicago....

Other than a possible guest appearance from Buddy Guy, what special guests might be expected to show up at these shows?
Perhaps more special guests can help sell the shows (in all cities).

Posted by: flacnvinyl ()
Date: May 1, 2013 07:11

OneHit
flacnvinyl
The Stones need to do a promo video and just apologize. Heck, AEG could apologize and the Stones could just say 'yeah, glad you did that'. Then after the apology video, make the seats like so...

$1000 - pit tickets, done. Its exclusive, fine.
$500 - best 25% of the seats
$300 - 'most' of the seats in the venue
$175 - good upper deck
$100 - nose bleeds
$85 - 1000 for every show

THAT IS IT. Problem solved.

You can't be serious. These prices are just as outrageous as the actual prices. No band is worth more than $300 no matter where you are in the arena.

I agree, but the prices I mentioned would move tickets. $300 for a great seat, they'd sell. I personally would never pay over $200 for a ticket, but I know many who would pay $600 TOTAL for two tickets, but not $1200.

I don't expect the Stones to be reasonable on this tour. It is NOT happening. I still find it difficult to believe that we are actually discussing prices for a 2 hour concert at $1500 and $600.

If I were the promoter we'd have a gold ticket area with the top 30% of the venue at $350, and the rest of the seats at $175 and nosebleeds at $75. Then again, I would very likely be priced out by other promotion companies charging $600 for 70% of the seats for a venue.

Bottom line - I am THRILLED that the market has spoken. Many people paid the insane prices, but even more people said 'screw this'. Unfortunately another byproduct is the greedy street rep the Stones now have.. Fans now see them as punks.

Posted by: stones78oakland ()
Date: May 1, 2013 07:22

I have to agree - they can get what they can get at these prices because they are great and always will be. A lot of people will still go but you have to question it very deeply since you will more or less likely see a similar show to the last few tours. That being said I am still a fan and that will never change.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: May 1, 2013 07:41

AEG guaranteed The Stones "guarantee believed to be in the $80 million range"
AEG is the one who will likely be losing money but The Stones profit is assured and guaranteed

The only way The Stones will suffer is to their reputation as being a super duper top draw plus the perceptions of being extremely greedy because the average person blames The Stones for high ticket prices, not AEG

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 1, 2013 13:18

flacnvinyl

Bottom line - I am THRILLED that the market has spoken. Many people paid the insane prices, but even more people said 'screw this'.

I wish the market had spoken 20 years ago when the Eagles started charging $100 at a time when everyone else was still only charging $35. That would have been the time for everyone to say "Huh? What? Are You Crazy?" but Eagles fans bought the tickets, and the precedent was established. We really have only ourselves to blame for the way ticket prices are today. Actually, we have the Eagles to blame. And their fans. Stupid Eagles fans.

Posted by: laertisflash ()
Date: May 1, 2013 14:09

"Really wondering why they chose to play 3 shows in Chicago as sales at Soldier Field were terrible in 2006, leading to a half empty stadium"...

Really wondering how strange our thoughts are sometimes... You mention the fourth Stones gig in Chicago (on an extremely cold night, if i remember correctly) and, at the same time, their third visit in the city, during ABB tour. Earlier they had playd in a packed "Soldier Fielf" (September, 10 2005) and twice in a packed "United Center" (23,25 Jenuary 2006). Actually, the Stones performed in front of 120,000 - 130,000 people or so in Chicago on ABB tour. Not bad at all.

The annoying high ticket prices is a general big problem, of course. And the prices will remain a problem to me, even if the band finally plays in filled venues. That's the real problem IMO, not their decision to play one show more or one show less in Chicago or enerywhere else.

Posted by: Bashlets ()
Date: May 1, 2013 14:11

yes, the Eagles started it but Streisand and the Stones took it to a another level.

Posted by: crawdaddy ()
Date: May 1, 2013 14:41

Bashlets
yes, the Eagles started it but Streisand and the Stones took it to a another level.

If The Eagles and Babs hadn't done it,someone else would all those years back.
confused smiley

Posted by: Tuna44 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 14:54

Tatters, you are so on the point!! Once the Eagles broke that price barrier, the flood gates opened for three digit ticket prices. I'm dating myself but in 1987, I saw Pink Floyd's 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' tour in Syracuse, NY. I had a 4th row floor ticket and it only cost me $20!! Up to that point, no concert prior to that (and I went to a lot of them), was $20 and over. Very shortly after that, every concert was $20 and higher! It's part of the business I guess, and I don't really like it. If you don't want to pay the prices, just don't go. That stinks, but maybe the top touring bands will figure it out when they're playing to half filled houses and it's affecting their bottom line.

Posted by: tatters ()
Date: May 1, 2013 15:16

Tuna44
Tatters, you are so on the point!! Once the Eagles broke that price barrier, the flood gates opened for three digit ticket prices. I'm dating myself but in 1987, I saw Pink Floyd's 'Momentary Lapse of Reason' tour in Syracuse, NY. I had a 4th row floor ticket and it only cost me $20!! Up to that point, no concert prior to that (and I went to a lot of them), was $20 and over. Very shortly after that, every concert was $20 and higher! It's part of the business I guess, and I don't really like it. If you don't want to pay the prices, just don't go. That stinks, but maybe the top touring bands will figure it out when they're playing to half filled houses and it's affecting their bottom line.

Here's a thread from about six months ago in which we tried to trace the evolution of sky-high ticket prices.

[www.iorr.org]

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:14

Bashlets

Talk about running with an idea...yeeeeesh...white collar marketing...

Date: May 1, 2013 16:20

I wonder if you can trade your tickets for better ones even if you requested hard actual tickets to be mailed.

I wanted them in my hand.

I might give it a try.

Date: May 1, 2013 17:27

I am guessong still 10,000 tickets left for this Fridays show.

What can a poor boy do?

Posted by: littleredrooster ()
Date: May 1, 2013 17:42

littleredrooster
jumpontopofmebaby
Take a few minutes and check out how many tickets that are good seats are still available for all shows.

They blew it this time.

Whoever they is.

I can buy better seats RIGHT NOW than what I have for the same price....sucks.

And when they start discounting prices to dump the remainding tickets it is a slap in

the face to a die hard Stones fan that did not like it but paid the high price to see

them for the 18th time. Was not going to miss them.

Several people on another board have called the T'master Customer
Service and exchanged their tickets for better locations at the same price.
You might want to try it!
If you don't succeed with the first Rep, call back and plead your case to another
Rep. According to several, it had worked!
Good Luck!

JOTOM maybe you missed this post.

Posted by: paulywaul ()
Date: May 1, 2013 17:59

I'm just playing about here idly checking tongue pit ticket availability for various shows (none of which I can actually attend due to work commitments), but I am absolutely astonished that weeks after these ticket sales started, there seem to be LOTS available.

A few days ago I did a search for each of the 2 Philadelphia shows, looking for 4 (four) pit tickets. Yep, up they came. Just now I searched for a single pit ticket for Boston (2nd night). Yep, up it came.

It can ONLY be price that's accounting for this, surely ? My recollection is that pit tickets for the UK O2 shows were as scarce as rocking horse s**t and all ended up on the secondary market, not that many people got them straight up. A great many went to the Mark Butler VIP thing too. But this straight up price of $1500 really is a step TOO FAR so it seems. I'm just stunned at how they could have misread the market so badly, or maybe it's all part of a cunning "masterplan" to give them all away for $85 on the day(s) of the show(s) ? winking smiley

[ I want to shout, but I can hardly speak ]

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:04

paulywaul
I'm just playing about here idly checking tongue pit ticket availability for various shows (none of which I can actually attend due to work commitments), but I am absolutely astonished that weeks after these ticket sales started, there seem to be LOTS available.

A few days ago I did a search for each of the 2 Philadelphia shows, looking for 4 (four) pit tickets. Yep, up they came. Just now I searched for a single pit ticket for Boston (2nd night). Yep, up it came.

It can ONLY be price that's accounting for this, surely ? My recollection is that pit tickets for the UK O2 shows were as scarce as rocking horse s**t and all ended up on the secondary market, not that many people got them straight up. A great many went to the Mark Butler VIP thing too. But this straight up price of $1500 really is a step TOO FAR so it seems. I'm just stunned at how they could have misread the market so badly, or maybe it's all part of a cunning "masterplan" to give them all away for $85 on the day(s) of the show(s) ? winking smiley

I'd say that someone would be fired over this. It's patently obvious that you couldn't possibly sell that many high priced tickets in that many markets.

The stones have their guarantee so AEG or whomever will be left holding the bag and perhaps loss.

That in a way is perfect.

Posted by: bitusa2012 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:10

Shameful way for 'em to go out IMHO. WHY they kept announcing shows in cities where previous shows were not selling beggars belief. I guess it was to make it appear they were selling up a storm so punters felt they had to jump in or miss out, but a huge backfire.

Don't get me wrong, wish I was able to go! Anything up to $300 woulda been fine.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:19

Eagles presale tickets ranging from $61-$266.

Hey, to me you can't even compare the two, but I'll acknowledge this is a popular band, and these are also arena shows.

The writings on the wall for Stones tickets!

Posted by: ZantiMisfit ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:22

...yet the 'A Bigger Bang' tour managed to make a half a BILLION dollars...I don't remember there being a bunch of cancellations due to poor ticket sales then...no cancellations this time either...

Posted by: andrewt ()
Date: May 1, 2013 18:34

jumpontopofmebaby

What can a poor boy do?

Man, that's a lot. Is anyone here going on Friday?
A first hand report would be much appreciated.

Posted by: TheGreek ()
Date: May 1, 2013 19:26

i dont care because i am going to philly on 6/18 and i am sitting close to ronnie side of the stage and my tickets are paid for and i am so ready to let the good times roll .

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 1, 2013 19:36

TheGreek
i dont care because i am going to philly on 6/18 and i am sitting close to ronnie side of the stage and my tickets are paid for and i am so ready to let the good times roll .
Well, in that case....how can someone be against high ticket prices?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-05-01 19:37 by Harm.

Date: May 1, 2013 19:36

WHOO HOOO

Just upgraded my seats from row 16 to row 6 section 113!

Feel a little better now

Could have got row 8 Section 1 but I like the side seats.

Easy in and out for a BEER!

THANK YOU Little Red Rooster

Posted by: phd ()
Date: May 1, 2013 20:08

It seems that Mick lost the hand on money things. They made the wrong choice. Sad for the 000's who would have wished to seem them live. Entertain 180,000 ( 18 x 10,000) or satisfy 900,000 ( 18 x 50,000). Please do not throw the not accepatble argument : it is too expensive to build a stage for open air concerts.

Posted by: Harm ()
Date: May 1, 2013 20:16

phd
It seems that Mick lost the hand on money things. They made the wrong choice. Sad for the 000's who would have wished to seem them live. Entertain 180,000 ( 18 x 10,000) or satisfy 900,000 ( 18 x 50,000). Please do not throw the not accepatble argument : it is too expensive to build a stage for open air concerts.
Voodoo Lounge was a very successful tour wasn't it? And prices haven't gone up 10 x since 1994...

Posted by: Kurt ()
Date: May 1, 2013 20:21

jumpontopofmebaby
WHOO HOOO

Just upgraded my seats from row 16 to row 6 section 113!

Feel a little better now

Could have got row 8 Section 1 but I like the side seats.

Easy in and out for a BEER!

THANK YOU Little Red Rooster

thumbs up
Well played! Have fun.

Posted by: ROPENI ()
Date: May 1, 2013 21:02

jumpontopofmebaby

What can a poor boy do?

WOW,if that figure is correct they will be giving away tickets on sunset blvd,l feel bad for the folks that paid $600 and up for seats,what a debacle and what a shitty way to end their career....

"No dope smoking no beer sold after 12 o'clock"

Posted by: dcba ()
Date: May 1, 2013 21:23

I did a quick booking simulation for the Friday Staples show : we're 48hrs from showtime but I reserved 8 tix in the 600$ range without any difficulties.
Ouch... smoking smiley

Posted by: Rik ()
Date: May 1, 2013 21:29

Bad marketing. What comes around Goes around

Goto Page: PreviousFirst...7891011121314151617...LastNext
Current Page: 12 of 30

This Thread has been closed

Online Users

Guests: 2144
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10