Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9
Re: Jagger the Greatest Lyricist of ALL TIME - Tim Rice
Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 24, 2013 13:58

Excellent points, Green Lady.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 24, 2013 14:05

Thanks Rockee, I knew it was inspired by an old song but was too lazy to look it up.

When I think of "Blowin' in the Wind," the images of that bloody horrifying march to Selma often come to my mind. John Lewis continues to be one of my true heroes...then and for how he has lived his life since.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 24, 2013 14:10

stonesrule
Thanks Rockee, I knew it was inspired by an old song but was too lazy to look it up.

When I think of "Blowin' in the Wind," the images of that bloody horrifying march to Selma often come to my mind. John Lewis continues to be one of my true heroes...then and for how he has lived his life since.

It was inspired by "No More Auction Block", which can be found on The Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3, and is a traditional anti-slavery protest song.

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 24, 2013 14:11

tomcasagranda
stonesrule

It was inspired by "No More Auction Block", which can be found on The Bootleg Series Vols 1 - 3, and is a traditional anti-slavery protest song.

PS: I think Dylan admitted just as much in an interview in 1978.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 24, 2013 16:02

Green Lady
Dylan's skill is often in taking old songs and traditional formats and adapting them - or since he is a genius, flat-out stealing whole chunks of other songs and putting them together into something of his own. Expect to recognise his references.

Mick's lyrics, on the other hand, are occasionally based on something he's read, but hardly ever on existing songs or well-known formats. Expect the unexpected.

I think that may be giving him more credit than is due. When was the last time we got the 'unexpected'?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 24, 2013 16:43

treaclefingers
Green Lady
Dylan's skill is often in taking old songs and traditional formats and adapting them - or since he is a genius, flat-out stealing whole chunks of other songs and putting them together into something of his own. Expect to recognise his references.

Mick's lyrics, on the other hand, are occasionally based on something he's read, but hardly ever on existing songs or well-known formats. Expect the unexpected.

I think that may be giving him more credit than is due. When was the last time we got the 'unexpected'?

i didn't expect you to ask that? ok?

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 24, 2013 17:24

treaclefingers
Green Lady

Well, perhaps "unconventional" might have been a better choice, but try reading through the lyrics of Pass The Wine, Plundered My Soul, Dancing In The Light or even Doom & Gloom - they don't strike me as predictable and cliche'd.

Date: April 24, 2013 18:25

Green Lady
treaclefingers
Green Lady

Well, perhaps "unconventional" might have been a better choice, but try reading through the lyrics of Pass The Wine, Plundered My Soul, Dancing In The Light or even Doom & Gloom - they don't strike me as predictable and cliche'd.

I'll give you 'fracking for oil' was pretty unexpected! I can't imagine anyone else coming up with that one. Neil Young maybe?

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: May 1, 2013 01:22

treaclefingers
And Rice is hoping to work with Jagger in the near future on a musical based on the story of Machiavelli, set to the Rolling Stones' hits.

Well, ROCKS OFF lyrics regarding dancing would suit a musical. I wonder how they'd choreograph the lines:
"I was making love last night
To a dancing friend of mine.
I can't seem to stay in step.
But she'd come every time
That she'd pirouette for me."

Date: May 1, 2013 04:11

Title5Take1
treaclefingers
And Rice is hoping to work with Jagger in the near future on a musical based on the story of Machiavelli, set to the Rolling Stones' hits.

Well, ROCKS OFF lyrics regarding dancing would suit a musical. I wonder how they'd choreograph the lines:
"I was making love last night
To a dancing friend of mine.
I can't seem to stay in step.
But she'd come every time
That she'd pirouette for me."

a horizontal mambo maybe?

Posted by: OzHeavyThrobber ()
Date: May 1, 2013 16:27

Was only blasting SFTD and Satisfaction a few hours ago thinking this very thing.

Jagger is genius at lyrics. A lazy mother with them sometimes but nonetheless brilliant.

Above all though his gift is in music. More specifically melody. Richards didn't always leave much room to create melody that was catchty but Jagger's supreme ability as a songwriter ensured Keith's part of the job was equalled and regularly topped by Jagger's ability to turn a few random licks or chords into a structed masterpiece.

Without Jagger's skilful melodies and superb and hip lyrics Exile would have gone by the by like a Bay City Rollers album. Well, assuming they ever made one...

Date: September 27, 2019 15:13

It's good to see someone who has been around the more classic showtune world all his life, give props to Jagger.
I agree that there was a time when Jagger was topnotch writer.
This is why I criticize him at this stage of career. His dancing and stage persona too. Because he knows. And if you know, then you should know better than...

One of the big takeaways from'Exile' are the lyrics.

Posted by: Meise ()
Date: September 27, 2019 15:19

Undeniably, Mick Jagger has written lots of great lyrics. He might not be as poetic as Dylan but did outstanding lyrical contributions to the band's music.

Anybody on this board denying he's great ability in lyric writing has either never written a song by him/herself or should piss off!

The greatest songwriters ever:
Bob Dylan
Jagger/Richards
Lennon/McCartney
Leonard Cohen

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: September 27, 2019 17:28

"Greatest Lyricist" is like "Most Beautiful Woman" or "Favorite Song" - constantly changing.

That said, something like "Wild Horses" certainly puts Mick in the conversation.

Goto Page: Previous123456789
Current Page: 9 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1482
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home