Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9
Re: Jagger the Greatest Lyricist of ALL TIME - Tim Rice
Posted by: FrankM ()
Date: April 22, 2013 22:20

stonesrule
FrankM, do you know anything about the Civil Rights struggle in the 1960s?

"Blowin' In The Wind" meant something to numerous Americans at that time...

the sort of men and women who didn't have time to sit around listening to the radio and spinning "rock and roll fantasies."

So what's your point? If it meant something to some people then so be it. I think you are trying to make the song something it isn't. Not everbody equates a particular movement with a song. The movement might be important but does that mean we all have to love the song?

Posted by: GRNRBITW ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:00

FrankM
stonesrule

the sort of men and women who didn't have time to sit around listening to the radio and spinning "rock and roll fantasies."

So what's your point? If it meant something to some people then so be it. I think you are trying to make the song something it isn't. Not everbody equates a particular movement with a song. The movement might be important but does that mean we all have to love the song?

yes

Date: April 22, 2013 23:06

GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

So that means if there is an important worldwide movement in the future and Streets Of Love is somehow tied into it we all have to love Streets Of Love?

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-22 23:13 by FrankM.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:21

FrankM
GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

So that means if there is an important worldwide movement in the future and Streets Of Love is somehow tied into it we all have to love Streets Of Love?

In fact, I hope there is, just to spite you.

Date: April 22, 2013 23:40

treaclefingers
FrankM
GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

i look forward to the worldwide movement that invokes SOL...that's gonna be awesome...

Date: April 22, 2013 23:45

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
FrankM
GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

i look forward to the worldwide movement that invokes SOL...that's gonna be awesome...

Exactly!

What are we fighting for people? We don't need Street Fighting Man, we need Streets of Love.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:46

FrankM, my main objection as I stated earlier was your reference to "Blowin' In The Wind as "ultra campy."

If you don't have any heart or soul,so be it.

Date: April 22, 2013 23:49

stonesrule
FrankM, my main objection as I stated earlier was your reference to "Blowin' In The Wind as "ultra campy."

i don't have any lungs or wisdom...but blowin' in the wind rocks. missing various organs and whatnot is no excuse.

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:51

GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
FrankM
GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

This movement has already occurred in the bowel region of the lower buttcheek basin...

Date: April 22, 2013 23:56

Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
FrankM
GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

This movement has already occurred in the bowel region of the lower buttcheek basin...

any idea where it moves to next?

Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 22, 2013 23:57

GRNRBITW
Munichhilton
GRNRBITW
treaclefingers
FrankM
GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

yes

any idea where it moves to next?

Yeah, a few...

Date: April 23, 2013 00:05

stonesrule

OMG there are some people that never miss a chance to be offended. The song has been used at various times througout the years for various reasons. While I support some of the causes it was used for it is the cause itself that is important not the song.

How many people have poked fun at Streets Of Love? It was actually used during an ad that asked for donations after Hurricane Katrina. Do people who criticize Streets Of Love have no heart or soul?

Date: April 23, 2013 00:38

FrankM
stonesrule

OMG there are some people that never miss a chance to be offended. The song has been used at various times througout the years for various reasons. While I support some of the causes it was used for it is the cause itself that is important not the song.

How many people have poked fun at Streets Of Love? It was actually used during an ad that asked for donations after Hurricane Katrina. Do people who criticize Streets Of Love have no heart or soul?

that is correct.

Date: April 23, 2013 01:22

FrankM
stonesrule

was streets of love written about hurricane katrina though? the answer is no. blowin in the wind was written about the civil rights struggles

Date: April 23, 2013 02:33

GRNRBITW
FrankM
stonesrule

that is correct.

While I missed a chance earlier I'm taking advantage of the opportunity now.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 23, 2013 04:40

I DON'T feel "offended."

My reaction was and is one of surprise...that you didn't view "Blowin in the Wind" as significant to what was happening in America in the 1960's. That it wasn't...isn't "just another pop song."

I don't think of "Streets of Love" in the same vein as the Dylan song...but if it helped to raise money for an important cause like helping victims of Hurricane Katrina I'm happy to know that.

Date: April 23, 2013 05:48

stonesrule
I DON'T feel "offended."

My reaction was and is one of surprise...that you didn't view "Blowin in the Wind" as significant to what was happening in America in the 1960's. That it wasn't...isn't "just another pop song."

I don't think of "Streets of Love" in the same vein as the Dylan song...but if it helped to raise money for an important cause like helping victims of Hurricane Katrina I'm happy to know that.

I believe people may have paid money for them to stop playing it. It was something like that anyway.

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:42

treaclefingers
stonesrule
I DON'T feel "offended."

I believe people may have paid money for them to stop playing it. It was something like that anyway.

The significance of a song may have very little to do with the quality of its lyrics (though it helps if they are as good as "Blowin' in the Wind" ).

(edited to get rid of accidental smiley)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-23 09:58 by Green Lady.

Posted by: Come On ()
Date: April 23, 2013 09:51

228 posts later....Is Jagger still the greatest lyricist of ALL TIME?

2 1 2 0

Date: April 23, 2013 14:19

Come On

no - it happened somewhere around the 132nd post....

Date: April 23, 2013 14:53

GRNRBITW
Come On

no - it happened somewhere around the 132nd post....

Ooooh! Someone come to think of Mr Zimmerman I suppose...

2 1 2 0

Date: April 23, 2013 16:22

Come On

I don't think the overwhelming majority on this board, or MJ would think so.

Tim Rice on the other hand...

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2013 21:23

Yes, "Blowin' In The Wind" was a civil rights anthem. That said, "Puff The Magic Dragon" was a pot smoking anthem (even if unintentional). They both bore the daylights out of me. Maybe I just don't like Peter, Paul, and Mary.

In fact, the folk music of the 60's blows in the wind (and elsewhere). Think I'll go have a puff...........

Date: April 23, 2013 21:26

Mary was kind of cute.

"Lyin' awake in a cold, cold sweat. Am I overdrawn, am I going in debt?
It gets worse, the older that you get. No escape from the state of confusion I'm in.

Date: April 23, 2013 22:31

Elmo Lewis
Yes, "Blowin' In The Wind" was a civil rights anthem. That said, "Puff The Magic Dragon" was a pot smoking anthem (even if unintentional). They both bore the daylights out of me. Maybe I just don't like Peter, Paul, and Mary.

In fact, the folk music of the 60's blows in the wind (and elsewhere). Think I'll go have a puff...........

I can't imagine 'boring' would be what the majority of people feel, but who knows. Isn't the question at hand the quality of the lyrics?

Is it the lyrics you find boring, because lyrically before Dylan in terms of lyrics, what you had was BORING. Yackity yack, don't talk back!

Posted by: Elmo Lewis ()
Date: April 23, 2013 22:47

Yeah, the lyrics are very meaningful, but the song is BORING.

Date: April 24, 2013 00:28

Elmo Lewis
Yeah, the lyrics are very meaningful, but the song is BORING.

It's a simple song and if that is boring to you that's a personal thing.

I think the point of the thread is lyrics not music, so at least we're in agreement on something.

Date: April 24, 2013 08:17

Elmo Lewis

It's 26 new Dylan-albums released since the 60ies...

2 1 2 0

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 24, 2013 08:33

Blowin' In The Wind ...
Dylan was inspired by the old spiritual No More Auction Block ....
Heck he's even admitted in interview once but don't think twice .....

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Green Lady ()
Date: April 24, 2013 11:45

Dylan's skill is often in taking old songs and traditional formats and adapting them - or since he is a genius, flat-out stealing whole chunks of other songs and putting them together into something of his own. Expect to recognise his references.

Mick's lyrics, on the other hand, are occasionally based on something he's read, but hardly ever on existing songs or well-known formats. Expect the unexpected.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 8 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1768
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home