Tell Me :  Talk
Talk about your favorite band. 

Previous page Next page First page IORR home

For information about how to use this forum please check out forum help and policies.

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9
Re: Jagger the Greatest Lyricist of ALL TIME - Tim Rice
Posted by: Munichhilton ()
Date: April 17, 2013 23:37

tomcasagranda
Munichhilton
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1

The Rubicon was a river

So whats it all got to do with that damnable little cube game that was so popular in the 80's?

That relates to Erno Rubik, an Hungarian mathematician who created the cube, and it can be solved via mathematical algorithms. I wasn't at all interested in it at school, as I was interested in the following:

1. Latin / Classics - Hence my two degrees, one B.A. in Classics, and one M.A in the Classical Tradition.

2. Modern Languages, i.e. French and Italian.

3. Renaissance and Reformation history - not only did I come top out of 25 in my form, I came top of the entire year, and out of 80 kids.

4. Undercover of the Night video - trying to look at the uncensored version on Channel Four.

5. And this was really mean: there was this fat kid at school, who was into Break Dance. He loved Herbie Hancock's Rockit, and attempted to break dance one day. He split his trousers, and slipped on his backside. I really took the mick out of him, yet, years' later, he earns more money than me, and never went through the hallowed environs of university, as an investment banker, while I "Hang Fire" on unemployment benefit. It really goes to show that there's a god above, and possibly it serves me right.

Well at least you had your priorities straight...I never did complete the cube, but I did learn how to pencil fight fairly well...God took a while to set my priorities...

Posted by: Max'sKansasCity ()
Date: April 17, 2013 23:42

Green Lady
Max'sKansasCity
marianna
I bet Tim Rice said similar, over-the-top things about the ABBA guys to get them to collaborate on "Chess." In that case, it worked. Stones songs with some "Hakuna Matata" thrown in sounds like a bad mix. Though I'm sure Murray Head would enjoy singing as "Mick" on the pre-stage recorded version.

BOOM!!! WE HAVE A WINNER!!!

That is the entire point of Mr Rice bringing any of this up to start with, and all I can say is.... I hope Mick declines any and all ideas of making any Stones Music into some Broadway musical. That would be a disasterbacle.

Please Mr Mick, dont do this type of thing to our music, please dont.

If Mick really is here on iorr, how long d'you think it will be before Max's splendid "disasterbacle" appears in a lyric?

I enjoy Mick's lyrics no end (and Stones lyrics in general - why is Sir Tim talking as if they are 100% Jagger, except to butter up a potential collaborator)? They're clever, honest, witty, wicked, fun... but I don't believe in the World Championship of Lyric-Writing, and if it did exist, Mick wouldn't win it, brilliant though he is.

You're so awsome GL, you have given me so many chuckles and smiles, heres to you GL Cheers smileys with beer

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 17, 2013 23:59

tomcasagranda
Title5Take1

The Rubicon was a river flowing from the Eastern Apennines into the Adriatic Sea, and it was the boundary between Italy and Gaul. By law, a general couldn't cross the Rubicon, as it was Roman territory, as a military leader. It was where, in 49BC, Julius Caesar crossed, and commenced the Civil War against Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (Pompey The Great).

Caesar, apparently, and according to Plutarch's Life of Pompey, stated "Let the die be cast", and proceeded to cross the Rubicon. The difference between Plutarch's "Let the die be cast", and Suetonius' "The die is cast" is not just active and passive voices in Latin and Greek, but Plutarch stated that Caesar said it in a loud voice, and in "Greek". Suetonius also doesn't suggest what language Caesar said it in.

The Roman epic poet, Lucan, in Book I of his Pharsalia, doesn't mention any gambling, or dice-playing metaphors. As Caesar is about to cross the Rubicon, the personification of Rome appears to him, and the following is stated:

"Caesar has crossed the Alps, his mighty soul Great tumults pondering and the coming shock. Now on the marge of Rubicon, he saw, In face most sorrowful and ghostly guise, His trembling country's image; huge it seemed Through mists of night obscure; and hoary hair Streamed from the lofty front with turrets crowned: Torn were her locks and naked were her arms. Then thus, with broken sighs the Vision spake: "What seek ye, men of Rome? and whither hence Bear ye my standards? If by right ye come, My citizens, stay here; these are the bounds; No further dare." But Caesar's hair was stiff With horror as he gazed, and ghastly dread Restrained his footsteps on the further bank. Then spake he, "Thunderer, who from the rock Tarpeian seest the wall of mighty Rome; Gods of my race who watched o'er Troy of old; Thou Jove of Alba's height, and Vestal fires, And rites of Romulus erst rapt to heaven, And God-like Rome; be friendly to my quest. Not with offence or hostfie arms I come, Thy Caesar, conqueror by land and sea, Thy soldier here and wheresoe'er thou wilt: No other's; his, his only be the guilt Whose acts make me thy foe".

As a consequence of the Civil War, the Roman Republic was irreparably damaged. Pompey the Great was murdered after the Battle of Pharsalus in 48BC, as he had arrived at Egypt and was executed under the orders of Ptolemy XIII. Battles still continued, with Caesar defeating Gnaeus Pompeius Secundus at Thapsus in 46BC, and Pompey's followers at Munda in 45BC.

Most people know what happened the year after Munda, in that Caesar was murdered in 44BC. In 42BC, Brutus committed suicide at the Battle of Philippi, and the rest of the conspirators were defeated. Consequently, Mark Antony, Octavian, and Lepidus formed the first Triumvirate, and proscriptions took place, wherein anyone that upset them was executed: a case in point being Cicero, who composed the Philippics, denouncing Antony. The Philippics also explains how Paul Simon got the title of "A Short Desultory Philippic".

Antony took up with Cleopatra, hence Blinded By Love, and in 31BC, Octavian defeated him at Actium, and the Republic was no more, replaced by the Julio-Claudian dynasty.

Maybe, Mick should have written Streets of Love first, and then Blinded By Love secondly: it would show the correct adherence to ancient Roman history ?

Why Francis Ford Coppola—being a good Italian—named his Napa Valley winery "Rubicon."

Posted by: tomcasagranda ()
Date: April 18, 2013 00:11

Title5Take1
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1

The Rubicon was a river flowing from the Eastern Apennines into the Adriatic Sea, and it was the boundary between Italy and Gaul. By law, a general couldn't cross the Rubicon, as it was Roman territory, as a military leader. It was where, in 49BC, Julius Caesar crossed, and commenced the Civil War against Gnaeus Pompeius Magnus (Pompey The Great).

Caesar, apparently, and according to Plutarch's Life of Pompey, stated "Let the die be cast", and proceeded to cross the Rubicon. The difference between Plutarch's "Let the die be cast", and Suetonius' "The die is cast" is not just active and passive voices in Latin and Greek, but Plutarch stated that Caesar said it in a loud voice, and in "Greek". Suetonius also doesn't suggest what language Caesar said it in.

The Roman epic poet, Lucan, in Book I of his Pharsalia, doesn't mention any gambling, or dice-playing metaphors. As Caesar is about to cross the Rubicon, the personification of Rome appears to him, and the following is stated:

"Caesar has crossed the Alps, his mighty soul Great tumults pondering and the coming shock. Now on the marge of Rubicon, he saw, In face most sorrowful and ghostly guise, His trembling country's image; huge it seemed Through mists of night obscure; and hoary hair Streamed from the lofty front with turrets crowned: Torn were her locks and naked were her arms. Then thus, with broken sighs the Vision spake: "What seek ye, men of Rome? and whither hence Bear ye my standards? If by right ye come, My citizens, stay here; these are the bounds; No further dare." But Caesar's hair was stiff With horror as he gazed, and ghastly dread Restrained his footsteps on the further bank. Then spake he, "Thunderer, who from the rock Tarpeian seest the wall of mighty Rome; Gods of my race who watched o'er Troy of old; Thou Jove of Alba's height, and Vestal fires, And rites of Romulus erst rapt to heaven, And God-like Rome; be friendly to my quest. Not with offence or hostfie arms I come, Thy Caesar, conqueror by land and sea, Thy soldier here and wheresoe'er thou wilt: No other's; his, his only be the guilt Whose acts make me thy foe".

As a consequence of the Civil War, the Roman Republic was irreparably damaged. Pompey the Great was murdered after the Battle of Pharsalus in 48BC, as he had arrived at Egypt and was executed under the orders of Ptolemy XIII. Battles still continued, with Caesar defeating Gnaeus Pompeius Secundus at Thapsus in 46BC, and Pompey's followers at Munda in 45BC.

Most people know what happened the year after Munda, in that Caesar was murdered in 44BC. In 42BC, Brutus committed suicide at the Battle of Philippi, and the rest of the conspirators were defeated. Consequently, Mark Antony, Octavian, and Lepidus formed the first Triumvirate, and proscriptions took place, wherein anyone that upset them was executed: a case in point being Cicero, who composed the Philippics, denouncing Antony. The Philippics also explains how Paul Simon got the title of "A Short Desultory Philippic".

Antony took up with Cleopatra, hence Blinded By Love, and in 31BC, Octavian defeated him at Actium, and the Republic was no more, replaced by the Julio-Claudian dynasty.

Maybe, Mick should have written Streets of Love first, and then Blinded By Love secondly: it would show the correct adherence to ancient Roman history ?

Why Francis Ford Coppola—being a good Italian—named his Napa Valley winery "Rubicon."

I also thought The Godfather to be an excellent amalgamation of ancient-world epic, Shakespeare's Hamlet and King Lear, and it remains my favourite film. Every time I watch all three parts, it still has some nuances for me.

Posted by: treaclefingers ()
Date: April 18, 2013 00:39

tomcasagranda
Title5Take1
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1

I also thought The Godfather to be an excellent amalgamation of ancient-world epic, Shakespeare's Hamlet and King Lear, and it remains my favourite film. Every time I watch all three parts, it still has some nuances for me.

yes, an epic series. Last time I watched it was all 3 over successive nights.

It`s been a few years though, may do that again soon!

Date: April 18, 2013 00:42

treaclefingers
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1

Three is underrated: if it was any other film, it would be hailed as quality.

Posted by: seitan ()
Date: April 18, 2013 00:52

I think Nick Cave is far superior as a lyricist than Jagger. Much better - besides some of the lyrics that people always think are actually Keith's...but there you go. I think Nick Cave is right up tjhere with Bob Dylan - might even be better than Dylan. Other good ones Patti Smith, Iggy Pop when he wants to, Leonard Cohen, etc...

Date: April 18, 2013 01:07

tomcasagranda
treaclefingers
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1
tomcasagranda
Title5Take1

Three is underrated: if it was any other film, it would be hailed as quality.

I really like the storyline, the pope assassination.

I have a friend that is a distant cousin of Pope John Paul and recall his death being hugely controversial at the time.

The fact that you have this great actor that we see decades later reprise the role is fantastic and certainly brings closure to this amazing saga.

OK, I`ve figure out what I`ll be doing this weekend!

Posted by: Rockman ()
Date: April 18, 2013 01:32

ROCKMAN

Posted by: Title5Take1 ()
Date: April 18, 2013 02:55

Rockman
It failed to cross the Rubicon.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 19, 2013 16:37

triceratops
Jagger wrote some very clever lyrics but that was long ago when he was up and coming and got into "situations". When he could write about young love and its ups and downs. How he used to put down female partners. Once he got rich he was able to insulate himself and became boring. He hobnobbed more with other rich people and the English aristocracy, not exactly a formula for coming up with good lyrics.

Tim Rice is predictable here. Machiavelli will have "Sympathy for The Devil" running through it

And it has already been done before:

Date: April 19, 2013 17:02

The Worst.
triceratops
Jagger wrote some very clever lyrics but that was long ago when he was up and coming and got into "situations". When he could write about young love and its ups and downs. How he used to put down female partners. Once he got rich he was able to insulate himself and became boring. He hobnobbed more with other rich people and the English aristocracy, not exactly a formula for coming up with good lyrics.

Tim Rice is predictable here. Machiavelli will have "Sympathy for The Devil" running through it

Wow, it's great that you've both been able to stay fans given your level of disdain.

Posted by: The Worst. ()
Date: April 19, 2013 17:34

disdain of what?

Date: April 20, 2013 00:46

treaclefingers
The Worst.
triceratops

Wow, it's great that you've both been able to stay fans given your level of disdain.

Machiavelli wasn't a satanist: he believed, politically, in that the ends justified the means. The Prince continues to divide opinions, and doesn't have a religious context. Machiavelli wrote it to get into the Medicis' good books, and to curry favour with them.

The devious nature of Machiavel is highlighted by Christopher Marlowe's Jew of Malta, in which the character that encourages Barabbas' villainy is Machiavel, named after Machiavelli. Likewise, the devious nature of Iago in Othello is influenced by Machiavelli, as Shakespeare would have read the Prince.

Date: April 20, 2013 01:19

Rockman

Wasn't that train carrying the Stones best intentions aboard?

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 20, 2013 02:06

tomcasagranda

Machiavelli wasn't a satanist: he believed, politically, in that the ends justified the means. The Prince continues to divide opinions, and doesn't have a religious context. Machiavelli wrote it to get into the Medicis' good books, and to curry favour with them.

The devious nature of Machiavel is highlighted by Christopher Marlowe's Jew of Malta, in which the character that encourages Barabbas' villainy is Machiavel, named after Machiavelli. Likewise, the devious nature of Iago in Othello is influenced by Machiavelli, as Shakespeare would have read the Prince.

You are making some implications. Was Mick Jagger a satanist for a while and got jolted out of it by Altamont?

As far as Machiavelli... not a satanist but I still see Sympathy for the Devil being prominently featured here if it ever gets made. Many people see Machiavelli as being evil and this is good enough.

Date: April 20, 2013 12:57

triceratops
tomcasagranda

You are making some implications. Was Mick Jagger a satanist for a while and got jolted out of it by Altamont?

As far as Machiavelli... not a satanist but I still see Sympathy for the Devil being prominently featured here if it ever gets made. Many people see Machiavelli as being evil and this is good enough.

No, Mick Jagger wasn't a Satanist, but he was a dilettante, who read The Master & The Margarita by Bulgakov. He also met with Kenneth Anger, author of Hollywood Babylon, and a practising Satanist.

What Jagger did was embrace the Satanic imagery of the character in Sympathy For The Devil, and combine it with the image of Turner in Performance, who was a composite of Keith Richards and Brain Jones, to create his 1969 touring image, which was a dark image.

Machiavelli is not evil, but the adjective Machiavellian suggests possible 'evil". The Prince is not an "evil" book, but rather a philosophical handbook to power, and the unfortunate thing is that Machiavelli has, throughout history, been given a bad press. Bad things in Renaissance Italy happened at the time, i.e The Pazzi Conspiracy, the corruption in the Vatican with the Borges, and Altamont was never as bad as these events.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 20, 2013 15:36

Tom, you know how much I enjoy many of your posts but it's a bit silly to call Jagger a dilettante...on such flimsy "evidence." Fact is, we would both love to read and own all the books in the Jagger library.

I had a few conversations with Anger, too. But I ain't no dilettante.

Date: April 20, 2013 16:52

stonesrule
Tom, you know how much I enjoy many of your posts but it's a bit silly to call Jagger a dilettante...on such flimsy "evidence." Fact is, we would both love to read and own all the books in the Jagger library.

I had a few conversations with Anger, too. But I ain't no dilettante.

Yes: with the benefit of hindsight, it was wrong of me to call Mick a dilettante. I think he adapts personae for occasions, and there have been elements of that throughout his career, even as far back as living in Edith Grove and the housecoat stories.

Anger was an interesting figure, what with Scorpio Rising, and Hollywood Babylon, inter alia.

Posted by: GumbootCloggeroo ()
Date: April 20, 2013 18:14

tomcasagranda
No, Mick Jagger wasn't a Satanist, but he was a dilettante, who read The Master & The Margarita by Bulgakov. He also met with Kenneth Anger, author of Hollywood Babylon, and a practising Satanist.
Kenneth Anger isn't a satanist. He's an occultist and follower of Aleister Crowley, who also wasn't a satanist. Thelema is the religion that Crowley founded and which Anger follows. Anita Pallenberg was influenced by Anger the most.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 18:16 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: April 20, 2013 18:17

tomcasagranda
Anger was an interesting figure.
Still is.

Posted by: stonesrule ()
Date: April 20, 2013 20:30

Gumboot, you make some interesting points.
One also has to consider the relatively innocent,"hippie-dippie" times young people were living in. Fads came and went. William Burroughs -- 'who's that?" Oh OK, gotta read that book etc. etc. Kenneth Anger...Oh, OK, sounds cool.

Crowley was the one that for a time fascinated quite a few people, readers and dummies alike! But you're leaving out the rock star who took it all too far, and that is Mr. Jimmy Page. He did some terrible things and hurt some naive people with all his "experiments." Satanic? Who am I to say...But he for a number of years was a cruel and destructive human being.

Re Anita Pallenberg,I don't recall that she was heavily influenced by Anger. Nor was she a Satanist. Anita could have had a successful career as an actress but she made wrong choices. And she certainly wasn't a witch leading "innocent Keith" astray, despite rumors to the contrary.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-20 21:02 by stonesrule.

Posted by: triceratops ()
Date: April 20, 2013 22:07

tomcasagranda

I won't disagree with you

Date: April 21, 2013 00:36

stonesrule
One also has to consider the relatively innocent,"hippie-dippie" times young people were living in. Fads came and went. William Burroughs -- 'who's that?" Oh OK, gotta read that book etc. etc. Kenneth Anger...Oh, OK, sounds cool.

Crowley was the one that for a time fascinated quite a few people, readers and dummies alike! But you're leaving out the rock star who took it all too far, and that is Mr. Jimmy Page. He did some terrible things and hurt some naive people with all his "experiments." Satanic? Who am I to say...But he for a number of years was a cruel and destructive human being.

Re Anita Pallenberg,I don't recall that she was heavily influenced by Anger. Nor was she a Satanist. Anita could have had a successful career as an actress but she made wrong choices. And she certainly wasn't a witch leading "innocent Keith" astray, despite rumors to the contrary.

Crowley certainly fascinated members of Black Sabbath, and David Bowie too; I refer you to Quicksand on Hunky Dory. There were a lot of authors that people read, or claimed to have read, that continue to this day, and those that claim to have read The Naked Lunch far outweigh those that have actually struggled through the book. For the record, I read The Nuked Lunch, and found it to be self-indulgent twaddle, and thought Burroughs to be overrated.

I would add that I have come across Crowley, in the capacity of briefly volunteering at my Masonic library, and he's lumped in with secondary source material relating to Yeats, theosophy, The Golden Dawn, and Nietzsche's theories on the Ubermensch. What was considered hip is, in reality and in most instances, quite boring.

Now: bearing in mind Donald Cammell, Performance, and Borges: Borges is brilliant, and underrated. His Ficciones, and The Garden of Forking Paths, Tlon Aqbar Orbis Tertius, The South, etc are excellent, and worth reading and analysing.

Furthermore, it was Marianne Faithful that appeared in Scorpio Rising as Lilith, and it was circa 1971, when she was at the height of her addiction. Anita never appeared in Kenneth Anger films, but, according to Victor Bokris, Keith and Anita met Anger, but wound him up too much, and annoyed him, possibly due to drug issues.

Date: April 21, 2013 01:09

tomcasagranda
stonesrule

Crowley certainly fascinated members of Black Sabbath, and David Bowie too; I refer you to Quicksand on Hunky Dory. There were a lot of authors that people read, or claimed to have read, that continue to this day, and those that claim to have read The Naked Lunch far outweigh those that have actually struggled through the book. For the record, I read The Nuked Lunch, and found it to be self-indulgent twaddle, and thought Burroughs to be overrated.

I would add that I have come across Crowley, in the capacity of briefly volunteering at my Masonic library, and he's lumped in with secondary source material relating to Yeats, theosophy, The Golden Dawn, and Nietzsche's theories on the Ubermensch. What was considered hip is, in reality and in most instances, quite boring.

Now: bearing in mind Donald Cammell, Performance, and Borges: Borges is brilliant, and underrated. His Ficciones, and The Garden of Forking Paths, Tlon Aqbar Orbis Tertius, The South, etc are excellent, and worth reading and analysing.

Furthermore, it was Marianne Faithful that appeared in Scorpio Rising as Lilith, and it was circa 1971, when she was at the height of her addiction. Anita never appeared in Kenneth Anger films, but, according to Victor Bokris, Keith and Anita met Anger, but wound him up too much, and annoyed him, possibly due to drug issues.

tom

You have some incredibly educational posts...am I smarter after reading them?

Date: April 21, 2013 01:45

Munichhilton
tomcasagranda
stonesrule

tom

You have some incredibly educational posts...am I smarter after reading them?

did you know as well that jagger is the greatest lyricist of all time?

Just trying to deftly get us back on topic.

"The Sunshine Bores The Daylights Out Me"...right up there with "The Sun Ain't Yellow It's Chicken".

Date: April 21, 2013 02:14

stonesrule
I would definately call purchasing Crowley's house as taking it too far. Not sure if Page still occupies that place. Regard Page's behaviour, was he cruel because of his Crowley obsession or was he cruel because of his heroin obsession? Maybe a combo of both.

From the biography about Anger that I read, if I remember correctly, Anita got so deep into the occult that it was spooking Keith.
"Anita has always been interested in the occult ["I do believe in forces"] and was, by her own admission, at one time "messed up about it,"".

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 2013-04-21 02:18 by GumbootCloggeroo.

Date: April 21, 2013 02:15

Tom, have you ever read anything by Crowley? I haven't but I have heard that some consider him to be a bit of a hack. Not really that good. Interesting person, though.

Posted by: TRS ()
Date: April 21, 2013 10:51

duke richardson
>>Bob Dylan just steals lines from books and movies with hardly any of his own thoughts or lines anymore. Then again I can't be sure if Mick does that though. But Dylan for sure does.<<

Listen now Zimmy still got it!! even some new outtakes "Marching to the city" is fantastic!!! "Huck's tune" Grrrrreat!! Doom and gloom eh? I dunno.

Date: April 21, 2013 11:33

Jagger is great lyricist. He knows it...but he also knows the type of music he has to elaborate. So irony and lack of pretentiouness is the basis of his lyrics. On the contrary there are a buch of overrated musicians who think of themselves as if they were the reincarnation of Shakespeare or John Keats and in the end they are pedantic and pretentious. It is only rocknroll....

Goto Page: Previous123456789Next
Current Page: 6 of 9

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Online Users

Guests: 1888
Record Number of Users: 206 on June 1, 2022 23:50
Record Number of Guests: 9627 on January 2, 2024 23:10

Previous page Next page First page IORR home